Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

richy1 wrote: »
    Cheers, have you any ideas where i can get it witnessed in Munich. I will pay extra for it to be back in time.. Embassy in Berlin said it was possible, so fingers crossed

Burgeramt where I registered my address did mine.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

xiaoen wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Fred. How do you know this? The passport office's website (www.dfa.ie) says you need to supply:

" the long form birth certificate of the applicant and a civil marriage certificate, if appropriate, and evidence of entitlement to Irish citizenship ,where applicable;
    additional form of photo-identification; e.g. certified copy of a drivers licence, work ID; student card; social club membership; passport from other country etc.;
    documentary evidence to show use of name, e.g. payslips; records of unemployment or disability payment; bank statement; college registration etc.; and
    evidence of residency at the application address, e.g. utility bills; official correspondence from public or private sector etc."

Princess Consuela Bananahammock, you mean it was 44 euro to get my driver's licence certified or the birth cert?

Thanks again for input

I got mine signed by the garda that signed the application form. It was free and it was accepted by the passport office. Basically you can't send in your driver's licence, as you need it to drive, so they accept copied of it that are "certified" by someone. I certified mine at the garda station, no problems and 0 cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 xiaoen

thank you so much for this, I called a few notaries and they're looking for 50 euro to stamp a photocopy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I would just like to let people know that turnaround time for me
    for my passport renewal was

Posted on Monday
    Arrived Friday

Thank You
    Passport Express

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

Same for me posted Monday arrived Friday, great service

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It's always like that at this time of year. The staff are not snowed under with idiots needing passports at the last minute for various reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

Does anyone know how soon you can apply to renew a passport?
    My husbands is expiring in 6 months but there's a chance he will be going abroad to work in march long term so can he renew it in jan even if there's a few months left on old one? Also are the rates the same if you are unemployed/have medical card? 80 euro is alot of money! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

You can apply at any time. Get it in as soon as possible and you'll have it back well inside the 10 (working) days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

WhiteTiger wrote: »
    Does anyone know how soon you can apply to renew a passport?
    My husbands is expiring in 6 months but there's a chance he will be going abroad to work in march long term so can he renew it in jan even if there's a few months left on old one? Also are the rates the same if you are unemployed/have medical card? 80 euro is alot of money! Thanks

If you are renewing and your old passport has less than 6 months remaining validity, you can retain the existing passport and submit a photocopy of the ID page with your application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

Hi there,
    I'm travelling on 29th December, and I cannot find my passport anywhere, vanished into thin air it seems. If I go into the passport office tomorrow ( Monday) morning with everything ready, forms etc, do you think I could get it the same day?
    Not from Dublin so im a bit worried.
    Do you think it's possible?

Saw this on the website:We can only issue your passport on the day in an emergency situation (the death or serious illness of a family member).

In all other circumstances, you will have to wait a minimum of three working days to get your passport.

Really worried now :o considering with opening hours this time of year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Defo not in the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Where are you flying to? If it's the UK and you're not flying with Ryanair you'll be ok with a driving licence or other form of ID.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My sister is renewing her passport soon as she has a trip booked to the USA and it is expiring before she goes.

Her first and middle name are on her current passport, eg. Mary Jane Smith, except she has a long and stupid middle name which is never used by her but when she got her first passport it matched her birth certificate name as Mary Jane Smith, she'd prefer to just get her new passport as Mary Smith?

Anyone ever come across this etc?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Stinicker wrote: »
    My sister is renewing her passport soon as she has a trip booked to the USA and it is expiring before she goes.

Her first and middle name are on her current passport, eg. Mary Jane Smith, except she has a long and stupid middle name which is never used by her but when she got her first passport it matched her birth certificate name as Mary Jane Smith, she'd prefer to just get her new passport as Mary Smith?

I filled out a passport form fairly recently and I'm nearly sure that your given the option to choose your name that's on the passport

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

You can drop a second or subsequent forename without submitting proof of usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Particularly for the USA it is important that your passport matches all other documentation (eg Birth Cert & Previous Visas) more important when applying for work visas or residency than holidays but you can never outguess them.

There is an option to add an "also known as" which can cover this, so the passport can be in the normal use name of Mary Smith with the "also known as mary jane smith" on the next page. That way it doesn't look like people are trying to dodge a criminal record or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

Tara_Rxxx wrote: »
    I'm travelling on 29th December, and I cannot find my passport anywhere, vanished into thin air it seems. If I go into the passport office tomorrow ( Monday) morning with everything ready, forms etc, do you think I could get it the same day?
    Not from Dublin so im a bit worried.
    ...Really worried now :o considering with opening hours this time of year :(
    What happened then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

As others said she can just request that as her passport name. It is possible to add middle name under observations section if she so wishes, I think it's usually used if you had another name used in other documents or a religious name for example. Usually first and last names are sufficient for travel bookings. If they require middle names or second surnames, the forms will make that clear - I'm guessing US immigration may request such info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

My friends passport expires April and plans to travel in May. He has a British passport so I looked up the prices and is it really €180 for a renewal? That price seems crazy, It's not like its his first passport.

If he had more time I'd suggest that he apply for Irish citizenship and passport since he's been here 10 years.

Also I forgot to add he'd be only going to England to visit his old friends and family. Would he still need a passport if travelling by ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

Friend is living in sydney,how can he renew his passport(irish)

My friends passport expires April and plans to travel in May. He has a British passport so I looked up the prices and is it really €180 for a renewal? That price seems crazy, It's not like its his first passport.

If he had more time I'd suggest that he apply for Irish citizenship and passport since he's been here 10 years.

Also I forgot to add he'd be only going to Englad to visit his old friends as family. Would he still need a passport if travelling by ferry?

I think he may have been on himself a few days back :D

Short answer, yes. The British Passport agency has a flat fee for all passports processed from British Citizens living abroad.

Only other option would be to go to Belfast and do it there, but they may require prrof of address and it may be moer expensive travellign up there than he'd save on the passport fee.

If he's just going to the UK, he only needs photo-ID. He can fly with Aer Lingus without one, but Ryanair WILL insist on a passport.

http://www.aerlingus.com/help/help/planningbooking/#d.en.1683
    Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification.
    Note: In order to travel between Ireland and the UK with photo identification other than a passport, passengers must have been born in Ireland or the UK and also be a citizen of either country.
    The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
    Valid Passport
    Driver's licence with photo
    International student card
    National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    Bus pass with photo
    Work ID with photo
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

If he's just going to the UK, he only needs photo-ID (as long as he doesn;t fly with Ryanair)

Thanks for the fast reply! Would his expired passport be an acceptable form of photo-ID :P. I think he has an age card or something so that's grand.

Is it the same for getting the ferry to UK? No passport required just photo ID.

EDIT: But when ordering tickets online, it asks for your passport number? How can you get around not needing one to travel to the UK?

Thanks for the fast reply! Would his expired passport be an acceptable form of photo-ID :P. I think he has an age card or something so that's grand.

Is it the same for getting the ferry to UK? No passport required just photo ID.

I doubt he can use an expired passport.

As for the ferries, I think he can use similar ID, but would check when making the booking.

EDIT - Irish Ferries is fine with no passport (doesn;t even have to be photo ID, it appears!)

http://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/faq/passports-identification/
    Ireland/Britain Routes

Irish Ferries recommend all passengers bring a passport with them. Irish and British citizens do not strictly require a passport to travel between the two countries - some form of identification is however required. Please note that all nationalities except Irish or British require passports. Non-EU nationals should check with the British or Irish embassy before travelling as they may also need a visa. Passengers who turn up at our ports without valid documentation may not be allowed to enter either Ireland or Britain.

Useful means of identification when travelling on these routes are:

Passport
    Driving Licence
    European identity Card
    Bank cards
    Photo ID (school or college)
    Utility Bills
    Birth Certificate

National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards

So would a Garda age card be good enough ID for him? He doesn't drive and don't think he has any work/student ID.

So when booking tickets on Aer lingus do they not ask for your passport number when booking?

Nope, they don't ask for any passport details.

Age card might do Aer Lingus. Phone them, the worst they can do is say no.

Got him to phone them and they said age card won't do. He's pretty much fûcked then, as he won't take the ferry. If the passport expires In March, is there a fixed amount of time it has to be in date to travel? Like 6 weeks/6 months, because he'd go earlier if it meant him saving €180.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement