Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

It just has to be in date on the days of travel.

So leaving 2 weeks before it expires and returning 1 week before is fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jdizzler

Hi Folks,

Hope someone might be able to answer this question:
    I lost my passport a few weeks ago and re-applied today via the Express Post option in the Post Office. Had all the necessary documentation with me that you have to supply when re-applying when u lose this but when I got home I noticed I gave them a photo copy of my utility bill instead of the original and this is stated in their terms & conditions etc..Also gave them a copy of my drivers license also (didn't fancy sending the original in the post). Should I be ok with this..? Gave them original pay slip,birth cert and a copy of my lost passport which I luckily had done a while back..
    Painful thing about this is that I went to the Passport Office in Dublin before Christmas to get this processed..Before I even walked through the door I was told that I should re-apply via the Post Office even though I said to them it was lost and thought it would be safer to go down this route! Should have made an appointment I know..

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

is there an irish embassy in sydney?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It's always the consulate or consular section for passports, visas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Marcusm wrote: »
    It's always the consulate or consular section for passports, visas etc.

Or Embassy. Consular sections are part of that.

Same as the U.S

Not really accurate and you might see this as pedantic but understanding it will often help people to understand that they don't need to go to an embassy to sort out their passports, visas etc.

The Consulate is the office of the Consul who has a different function to that of an Ambassador although the Consul will generally be a subordinate of the Ambassador (if one has been appointed). The Ambassador generally deals with relations between the states whereas the Consul will generally have functions relating to the citizens. THis is why I have been in many consulates over the years (including in 3 Irish consulates) but never in an embassy!

• Advertisement

Not really accurate and you might see this as pedantic but understanding it will often help people to understand that they don't need to go to an embassy to sort out their passports, visas etc.

The Consulate is the office of the Consul who has a different function to that of an Ambassador although the Consul will generally be a subordinate of the Ambassador (if one has been appointed). The Ambassador generally deals with relations between the states whereas the Consul will generally have functions relating to the citizens. THis is why I have been in many consulates over the years (including in 3 Irish consulates) but never in an embassy!

So to sum up....You can go to a consulate or Embassy to get your passport;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

AGC wrote: »

Not all consulates can issue passports, some Honorary Consuls can and some cannot.

Best to get the info direct from the department responsible

If you go to the Irish Embassy in London (Grosvenor Place/Chapel Street), they'll redirect you approx 3 miles away to Cromwell Road. AFAIR they have even ceased stocking passport forms to stop the great unwashed from coming to the door. This is the reason I'm being so didactic on the point - it's often not the same place at all at all.

Cedrus wrote: »
    Not all consulates can issue passports, some Honorary Consuls can and some cannot.

Best to get the info direct from the department responsible

Not talking about Honourary Consuls, that's a different class altogether. The consuls of whom I speak are DoFA employees but often in greater numbers and different and more diverse places to the embassies of which there is only one per country.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Anyone know if the passport office has a quick turnaround time at the moment. Posted passport express yesterday and they got it today. The online tracker says issue date 16th January but I'm flying early on the 15th. will they be willing to give my old passport back in the mean time as its valid till April.

Anyone know if the passport office has a quick turnaround time at the moment. Posted passport express yesterday and they got it today. The online tracker says issue date 16th January but I'm flying early on the 15th. will they be willing to give my old passport back in the mean time as its valid till April.

This may not be of comfort to you but with less than 6 months validity, you only needed to provide a photocopy and could have hung on to the original. I did this as recently as November and I know others who have done so in the past. Maybe that will help to get it expedited, the email service is supposed to be good.

Not talking about Honourary Consuls, that's a different class altogether. The consuls of whom I speak are DoFA employees but often in greater numbers and different and more diverse places to the embassies of which there is only one per country.

I was and I believe my comment stands.
    I also wasn't undercutting your post which also stands.
    Some, but not all consulates are able to issue passports / Formalise Applications. All Embassies can currently, (this may change) but all will frown on awkward applications, like lost passports or setting off on a two year visa with six months left on passport where avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Posted my daughter's application via passport express on Dec 23rd. Passport arrived yesterday Jan 2nd, so yes it does look like a quick turnaround time this time of year.

I got my passport back in 6 working days just before Christmas including two weekends, the online tracker was overly pessimistic in my case so I'd be reasonably confident.
    Your old passport may well be cancelled already if they have received it.
    Where are you travelling and with what carrier? Do you have a plan B?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

I got my passport back in 6 working days just before Christmas including two weekends, the online tracker was overly pessimistic in my case so I'd be reasonably confident.
    Your old passport may well be cancelled already if they have received it.
    Where are you travelling and with what carrier? Do you have a plan B?

Flying to Asia with etihad. Only realised I hadn't the six months validity and dont Want to risk getting held there then turned away. The only plan B I have is reschedule flights a few days later which could cost a packet.

• Advertisement

Flying to Asia with etihad. Only realised I hadn't the six months validity and dont Want to risk getting held there then turned away. The only plan B I have is reschedule flights a few days later which could cost a packet.

Cross your fingers, you'll probably be OK. Getting turned back will probably end up being more expensive, so that should be plan C at best. Do you have your visa safe or is that in your old passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Cross your fingers, you'll probably be OK. Getting turned back will probably end up being more expensive, so that should be plan C at best. Do you have your visa safe or is that in your old passport?

I would assume he's going somewhere that doesn't require a visa in advance as they wouldn't have issued it without the 6 months validity.

If you go to the Irish Embassy in London (Grosvenor Place/Chapel Street), they'll redirect you approx 3 miles away to Cromwell Road. AFAIR they have even ceased stocking passport forms to stop the great unwashed from coming to the door. This is the reason I'm being so didactic on the point - it's often not the same place at all at all.

You will still get a form at the Embassy door. the numbers of people calling to the Embassy would be very small as most know the PPO is Cromwell Road.

London is the only Embassy where passports are not checked at the Embassy

Another question regarding my friends travel. It seems he can't travel now before his passport expires since he's already booked the time off work. So i was thinking can he apply for an Irish passport instead? They are only €80 compared to the €180 for a UK passport renewal. I know an Irish citizenship costs €950 or something but does he already qualify for it since both his parents are Irish?

This is from Citizensinformation.ie

"If either of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, then you are automatically an Irish citizen, irrespective of your place of birth. So, if you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was himself or herself born in Ireland, then you are an Irish citizen."

So how would he go about applying for an Irish passport? I'm guessing he'd need the birth cert of one of his parents proving they are Irish and to send off his current UK passport with the application.

Thanks in advance.

Just got off the phone with him. He has his Mothers full birth cert, death cert & her old passport. He doesn't have his parents marriage cert, so will that be enough you reckon? He has everything to do with him, PPS number, proof of address etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BobC88

Hey guys!
    Does anyone know if it's still possible to collect the passport in Balbriggan the same day? Myself & GF are waiting on the IEC Visa program to open. I've had everything ready for the two of us to apply & what does she tell me on Monday evening? Yep, her passport is out of date in July so she needs a new one before she can apply! So in a panic I applied for one for her with Passport Express & that now says it won't be ready til the 21st! And known on our luck the visas will no doubt be released & snapped up by then!

So if anybody knows if I can fly up to Balbriggan & get it or not it would be a great help!
    Thanks in advance!

BobC88 wrote: »
    Hey guys!
    Does anyone know if it's still possible to collect the passport in Balbriggan the same day? Myself & GF are waiting on the IEC Visa program to open. I've had everything ready for the two of us to apply & what does she tell me on Monday evening? Yep, her passport is out of date in July so she needs a new one before she can apply! So in a panic I applied for one for her with Passport Express & that now says it won't be ready til the 21st! And known on our luck the visas will no doubt be released & snapped up by then!

So if anybody knows if I can fly up to Balbriggan & get it or not it would be a great help!
    Thanks in advance!

No being the simple answer. It's not a public office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 BobC88

No being the simple answer. It's not a public office

Funny enough I did ask if it could *still* be done as I did just that in 2011 when I was in a similar situation. It just seems to be a little more top-secret up there at the minute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement