Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

They're sending the passports out quicker than 10 working days at the moment, as has been pointed out by others on here recently, so you should get it before the 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BobC88

They're sending the passports out quicker than 10 working days at the moment, as has been pointed out by others on here recently, so you should get it before the 21st.

Thank you schemingbohemia!
    Just in the middle of an email conversation with the passport office now. Be jaysus the lassie I spoke to through the enquiries number must've been chewing an awful batter of nettles this morning! It's just shocking how confrontational they are!

Well I'm not sure how happy I would be when everyone ringing thinks theirs is a special case and they're the only one (ever) that needs their passport in a massive rush because they haven't bothered checking it before booking a flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frank Boggins

I am going away to the uk next Saturday with my son and his passport has gone on the hop, I fly over with aerlingus and back with ryan air can enyone tell me the most inexpensive options I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I am going away to the uk next Saturday with my son and his passport has gone on the hop, I fly over with aerlingus and back with ryan air can enyone tell me the most inexpensive options I have?

Getting out, you might get away with it.
    *NEW* Children Travelling on Parents Passport

EC Regulation 444/2009 states that as of 26 June 2012, children travelling from, to or through all Schengen countries plus Bulgaria, Cyprus and Romania are no longer permitted to travel on their parent’s passport and are required to hold their own individual travel documentation.
    Entries on one of their parent's passports are no longer valid - irrespective of the age of the child and shall not be accepted as a valid form of documentation.
    Henceforth, children travelling to/from any Aer Lingus destination other than those listed below require their own travel documentation, with a passport photo, when travelling.
    Children travelling to the following Aer Lingus destinations are currently not bound by this regulation:
    All Irish Destinations
    All UK Destinations
    Dubrovnik
    Izmir
    Agadir
    Source.
    I'm NOT confirming this - you'll have to phone them to make sure.

Getting back with Ryanair,cforget about it. Depending on what part of the UK, coach and ferry.

Might also be worth givign the Molesworth office a call to see if you can get an emergency travel document for the return journey. Not sure how this works as it's normally a service for people who are already abroad when they lose the passport. You'd have to report the passport lost first (which you should so anyway, if it doesn't turn up.)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Might also be worth givign the Molesworth office a call to see if you can get an emergency travel document for the return journey. Not sure how this works as it's normally a service for people who are already abroad when they lose the passport. You'd have to report the passport lost first (which you should so anyway, if it doesn't turn up.)

You won't get an ETC for the way back from Molesworth Street. Make an appointment and apply for a new passport bringing your proof of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Applying to renew my son's passport for 5 years. When I applied for his first passport I had to get a sworn affidavit signed with the solicitor for confirm that I am my son's sole gaurdian (bio father not on the scene) which I sent off and passport processed no problem.

However I am just gathering together the documents for the renewal and I have noticed that while the passport office did send me back his orignal birthcert which was certified by my solicitor but they did not send back the affidavit. Does this mean I need to get a new affidavit every time I apply for his passport? I have a photocopy of the original signed affidavit on my records but I am guessing they will need an original?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

They will want a new affidavit each time.

Thanks for that, will organise that so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Applying to renew my son's passport for 5 years. When I applied for his first passport I had to get a sworn affidavit signed with the solicitor for confirm that I am my son's sole gaurdian (bio father not on the scene) which I sent off and passport processed no problem.

However I am just gathering together the documents for the renewal and I have noticed that while the passport office did send me back his orignal birthcert which was certified by my solicitor but they did not send back the affidavit. Does this mean I need to get a new affidavit every time I apply for his passport? I have a photocopy of the original signed affidavit on my records but I am guessing they will need an original?

Check the small print / instructions, it might be different for kids passports but, adults don't need to keep submitting primary documentation once they have their first passport. Fortunately, or else I'd be hunting round the world every ten years for my birth cert, both parents birth certs and their wedding cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ChrisDrake

Hey ,
    Im travelling to Edinburgh on monday with ryanair and cant find my passport. I am going to try the passport office on monday to see if they can sort out a emergancy 1 trip passport. I was wondering what documents etc I would need for this if anyone could help me out,
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

ChrisDrake wrote: »
    Hey ,
    Im travelling to Edinburgh on monday with ryanair and cant find my passport. I am going to try the passport office on monday to see if they can sort out a emergancy 1 trip passport. I was wondering what documents etc I would need for this if anyone could help me out,
    Thanks

From what lads are saying here there is no hope they will issue a passport on the same day. If you need to be in Edinburgh by Monday I would suggest booking another means of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ChrisDrake wrote: »
    Hey ,
    Thanks

Your problem here isn't the passport - you don't need a passport to enter the UK - it's Ryanair. A passport can't be done in one day, and Ryanair won;t let you board without one.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Your problem here isn't the passport - you don't need a passport to enter the UK - it's Ryanair. A passport can't be done in one day, and Ryanair won;t let you board without one.

It can be done in 1 day in extreme circumstances (Life or death)

Also people need to realise there is no more emergency passports. What you are issued with is a full passport.

1 trip documents are used by Embassy's/Consulates in certain circumstances and is only valid from that destination to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crxsi09

Hi guys.
    Need to renew passports but not sure where to get photos taken now as all the photo booths u sit in are gone and i heard u cant get them taken in chemists etc anymore..
    Any idea?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

There are plenty of photo booths available. Some shopping centers, etc will have one. Where are you based, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭blade1

don't get it done in a booth in a shopping center.
    They are gone very strict with photo's these days.
    A lot of chemist's do the proper ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

blade1 wrote: »
    don't get it done in a booth in a shopping center.
    They are gone very strict with photo's these days.
    A lot of chemist's do the proper ones.

As long as you follow the passport photo guidelines getting the photo's taken in a photo booth is perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I've always got my pics done in a photobooth, I prefer being able to see what I look like at that moment and fix my hair or expression if I need to. I don't like having to make a face at a person behind the camera at the pharmacy, only if I'm stuck.
    Got my passport in April, no problems with the photos I used.
    In Galway there are booths in Corrib shopping centre and the Eyre Square shopping centre. I assume there would be similar set-up in shopping centres in other towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crxsi09

Gatica wrote: »
    I've always got my pics done in a photobooth, I prefer being able to see what I look like at that moment and fix my hair or expression if I need to. I don't like having to make a face at a person behind the camera at the pharmacy, only if I'm stuck.
    Got my passport in April, no problems with the photos I used.
    In Galway there are booths in Corrib shopping centre and the Eyre Square shopping centre. I assume there would be similar set-up in shopping centres in other towns.

Cheers guys..i just heard that it had gone very strict and the normal booth photos wudnt pass anymore.but never heard where u were meant to get it done now etc.think i will chance the chemist so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

crxsi09 wrote: »
    Cheers guys..i just heard that it had gone very strict and the normal booth photos wudnt pass anymore.but never heard where u were meant to get it done now etc.think i will chance the chemist so

I got my driving license photos done in a chemist lately. After taking the photos, the chemist spend a good few minutes working on their computer positioning the photo correctly and making sure it meet all the criteria for the application. Im sure they do tue same for each aplication type.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

crxsi09 wrote: »
    I did mine in a booth right when they started getting strict and ended up with them being rejected and sent back.
    Maybe some booths have a resize functionality built in that makes it the proper size or are setup for the passport photos now properly?
    Like a previous poster I ended up at a photographer and they jigged with it till it worked and promised to do it a 2nd time for free if the passport office wasnt happy.

And from what I can gather its the scanner on the computer at the passport office that rejects the photos (and not an over fussy member of staff) as now they have to be the certain format so that your face shape and whatnot can be codified and put on the biometric chip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

you're probably right, the booth formats may differ a little.
    The passport application forms come with a help-sheet, which has a plastic ribbon with a red circle to show where you face should go and what size the passport photo should be. I assume these haven't been removed recently, and should be useful in checking the size of the photo you send in.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Anyone booked a holiday with thomson.co.uk recently.
    Looking at a holiday with Thomson.uk site flying from Belfast and is £1,044 (€1,260)
    The exact same holiday for the exact same dates on Falconholidays.ie is €2,191.
    Would just using the BT11AA as the postcode and entering Ireland in the county box do.
    Also will they accept Irish credit card.

As they're pulling out of Ireland now I think they'll change this rule, even if it was still in force. I think your best bet might be to ring their Belfast office and see if you can get the same deal over the phone and try your card then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Could you not just change your credit card address to your parcel motel address ?

I have my Irish credit card with a Dutch billing address for the last 6 years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

As they're pulling out of Ireland now ..........

You might be thinking of Thomas Cook there ?

I understand that Thomson.co.uk holidays are not offered to people who live outside the UK for ABTA licencing reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement