Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 craigj

Thats great news.

My sons did the same.. It now says:

Passport is printed and will issue in the next day or two.

I dropped the application on the 18th so thats 11 working days.

I won't believe it till I have it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Doza

Well I got through to the PO this am, didn't have to stay on hold longer than 15 minutes either, the man I spoke to was also not happy with the status updates on the website. He said that yes there were still several steps to go before the passports were ready. He then asked when I was travelling and said he could put a note on the application asking that it be ready for collection on the 9th, but that he could not guarantee it. However at lunchtime I got a call in response to my e-mail from alovely lady whotold me that she would get them in the mail to arrive on Thursday, and if for some reason this didn't happen she could issue temporary passports for the girls if we could get to Balbriggan. So there is a glimmer of hope for us, though I won't start packing till I have the passports.
    Phoning and emailing them really does seem to help! Fingers crossed for everyone else waiting anxiously.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,770 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Received mine today through the post, applied 8th March via Passport Express, they received 9th March, 18 working days.

Hope the rest of you all get yours before you are going away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 psycatron

I've been offered some last-minute work next weekend in Europe. Travelling out on Friday 9th and returning on the 11th but my passport expires on the 10th. If i go to passport office on Tuesday will they be able to help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭puddle duck

i sent my application in on the 20th march via postal express. These go to Balbriggan if i am correct? Will they be able to help me if i queue at molesworth st office?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

I've been offered some last-minute work next weekend in Europe. Travelling out on Friday 9th and returning on the 11th but my passport expires on the 10th. If i go to passport office on Tuesday will they be able to help me?
    Worth a shot - the queues aren't too bad.
    i sent my application in on the 20th march via postal express. These go to Balbriggan if i am correct? Will they be able to help me if i queue at molesworth st office?

I'd go in alright. They can send an email to Balbriggan with your details if you can provide flight details or convince them you need it quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kkroni

Just giving an update.

Applied for my passport on the 10th of march through passport express.
    Status up until yesterday changed from "is being checked" back to "has been registered", then to "is being checked" again today.

However got a call from the passport office this morning telling me my passport has been approved and I'll get it no later than wednesday.
    Status hasn't changed though. Just thought I'd let people know in case they are relying on what the status says!!

Oh also rang about a week ago and told them I'm travelling on the 12th, this did help as the woman that rang earlier from the passport office mentioned it.

Advice to those travelling soon, keep ringing!!

Hope this info helps.

Mind is more at ease now. Well heres hoping I actually get it!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Applied March 8th through passport express, and told at the counter it would take 15 days. 2 trips to passport office were a total waste of time. Passport arrived April 2nd. Missed trip to Budapest as a result.

Anyway just thought I'd post my wait time in case others are still waiting.

Go Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Hi. Quick update from me - just checked this morning and see that status is now "Passport is printed and will issue in the next day or two.", last update 7.45 5th April. We had sent in via passport express on 10th March, so were getting a little anxious that nothing was happening. Will update when the status changes again/when we get the passport. Good luck to all....

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Hi. Quick update from me - just checked this morning and see that status is now "Passport is printed and will issue in the next day or two.", last update 7.45 5th April. We had sent in via passport express on 10th March, so were getting a little anxious that nothing was happening. Will update when the status changes again/when we get the passport. Good luck to all....

Exactly this with me too.

Hope everyone gets sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,770 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Update will likely change tomorrow to dispatched and you will get a tracking number, should receive it in the post Wednesday if it's anything like mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jmaj

I applied at counter in Dublin for passport in mid march hoping to travel next weekend. Went up twice to try and hurry things up which was a complete waste of time and money. It was absolute chaos there. I even saw one grown man actually crying at the counter, pleading for his application to be hurried up. It was shocking. It was obvious that the people working there do not give a damn about anyone applying. I was assured that i had loads of time for passport to issue, was told not to come in as a waste of time but check online. Well, I did check on line and saw that there was no movement whatsoever (even though I handed in photocopied travel dox with my application to show travel dates). This is our first family holiday in five years and we can barely afford it. So I cancelled my dublin application and travelled to cork to apply to passport office there. Even though I am not living in Munster. The passport office there couldn't be any different to Dublin. I have now recieved passport two days after I sent in application. Am so glad and grateful to the Cork passport office personnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kkroni

Final Update

Applied for my passport on the 10th of march through passport express.

Status up until the 31st changed from "is being checked" back to "has been registered", then to "is being checked" again on the 1st of april.

However got a call from the passport office on the 3rd of april telling me my passport had been approved and I would get it no later than wednesday. Status hadn't changed though.

Status then said on the 5th "passport is printed and will issue in the next day or two" (skipped "has been approved")

Received my passport today in the post. woop woop!!

So in total it took 18 days (excluding st patricks day, good friday & bank holiday monday).

Oh also rang about 2 weeks ago and told them I'm travelling on the 12th, this did help as the woman that rang on the 3rd from the passport office mentioned it.

Hope this info helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

Hi All, have a couple of passport related questions:

I sent my application via passport express about 3 weeks ago, being watching the status online every day, and last night it changed to 'application could not be processed'. Agghhh!!!! I am guessing it's something to do with the photo but they said 'a letter outlining the reasons has been sent to you'. So by the time I get the letter and re-apply it is looking very dodgy - I am going on my honeymoon on May 4th! My questions are:

1. Do you have to pay the entire application fee again if it gets rejected?
    2. Do they take into account that you already had an application in for several weeks, or do you go to the back of the queue again???
    3. Do you think they will respond to begging/pleading if I go to the Cork office (I am from Waterford) to try and get it in time?

I am going to ring them too, I just wanted to see if anyone here has experienced something similar!!! Really don't want to miss my honeymoon :eek:

By the way if anybody is going to say 'you should've sent it earlier' well maybe you're right! But it wasn't expired till mid March and I didn't want to be without a passport for too long so that's why I waited... and also I sent it in the week before the sh1t really hit the fan, so I didn't know how much of a problem it was going to be :(

Hi. My update - I got mine this morning.

History is much the same as the kkroni's 2 post above, sent on 10th March, received 8th April. Though I did not phone them to speed it up or get any calls from them saying that it would be issued. I did send an email in through the online enquiry form on their site, but I never heard back from them at all.

beegirl wrote: »

I sent my application via passport express about 3 weeks ago, being watching the status online every day, and last night it changed to 'application could not be processed'. Agghhh!!!! I am guessing it's something to do with the photo but they said 'a letter outlining the reasons has been sent to you'. So by the time I get the letter and re-apply it is looking very dodgy - I am going on my honeymoon on May 4th! My questions are:

2. Do they take into account that you already had an application in for several weeks, or do you go to the back of the queue again???
    3. Do you think they will respond to begging/pleading if I go to the Cork office (I am from Waterford) to try and get it in time?

I am going to ring them too, I just wanted to see if anyone here has experienced something similar!!! Really don't want to miss my honeymoon :eek:

By the way if anybody is going to say 'you should've sent it earlier' well maybe you're right! But it wasn't expired till mid March and I didn't want to be without a passport for too long so that's why I waited... and also I sent it in the week before the sh1t really hit the fan, so I didn't know how much of a problem it was going to be :(
    Someone recently posted on this thread that they queued at the Cork office and got it within two days. Why dont you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Hey folks I have a quick question here. I'm renewing my passport and plan to pay by Passport Express (submit and pay at the post office).

But I'm not sure about Section 9 (Certificate of Identity), does it need to be filled in beforehand by a Garda? (i.e. I need to go to a Garda Station first) Or is that section to be filled in after they receive my application?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Two questions that might have been answered by the passport offices to people on here beforehand [it'll save me ringing them hopefully]

1. I live right on the Tipperary border. Will the Cork Passport Office throw my application back to me and tell me to send it to Dublin if I send it to them? [For not being from Munster by 10 or so miles]

2. Do I have to send my actual passport to them or will a photocopy of it suffice? I don't have an ID at the minute other than my passport.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

We applied for 2 passports on the 19th March and one of them is a first issue passport for our baby daughter. I need to contact the passport office with a query as I suspect there may be a problem with the babys application - you're supposed to include a parents passport with their application but as I was renewing mine at the same time the lady in the post office assured me that the ppl in the passport office would link the applications and it wouldnt be an issue. Now however I'm concerned that time is ticking on and if there is a problem with the baby's application that we wont have time to rectify it as we're due to travel on the 1st May. However, I've emailed the passport office twice and been trying the phone line constantly and keep getting a recorded message - "due to extreme congestion we are unable to take your call at this time. Please try again later."
    I'm using the numbers on the DFA website - both the locall and dublin number direct. Has anyone had any luck with emailing or getting an answer on the phone? Or should I just head into Molesworth Street and start queuing?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Nicki123 wrote: »
    We applied for 2 passports on the 19th March and one of them is a first issue passport for our baby daughter. I need to contact the passport office with a query as I suspect there may be a problem with the babys application - you're supposed to include a parents passport with their application but as I was renewing mine at the same time the lady in the post office assured me that the ppl in the passport office would link the applications and it wouldnt be an issue. Now however I'm concerned that time is ticking on and if there is a problem with the baby's application that we wont have time to rectify it as we're due to travel on the 1st May. However, I've emailed the passport office twice and been trying the phone line constantly and keep getting a recorded message - "due to extreme congestion we are unable to take your call at this time. Please try again later."
    I'm using the numbers on the DFA website - both the locall and dublin number direct. Has anyone had any luck with emailing or getting an answer on the phone? Or should I just head into Molesworth Street and start queuing?

Thanks!
    I was in Molesworth street today and they must be still on the go slow. There was a woman just in front of me in the line and she had applied for a new passport on the 1st of March and heard nothing back. The girl behind the counter informed her that the passport had not even been checked yet and there was another few thousand applications in front of her. She brought her families flight details for a trip tomorrow and the girl behind the counter did'nt want to know. The poor woman was shaking with anger and left the passport office crying her eyes out. if i where you i'd get in there with your flight details asap and then start praying you catch them in a good mood. Sorry state of affairs.:mad:

• Advertisement

beegirl wrote: »

As far as i know you have to go through the whole process again as in photos,application checked by guards,passport express etc..It will be touch and go by the sounds of it. Good luck.

Sent my passport in via passport express and it was received on the 23 mar. What are my chances of having it by the 24th apr? I am going into the passport office in Dublin on Monday to see if this will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sharono

Let me know Puddleduck what happens cause I sent 2 passports on the 20thMarch and they were registered on the 23rd through passport express. I sent 3 e-mails and got an e-mail back on Mon telling me I should get them back on time as I was not travelling untill the 2nd May. Keep me posted as I was debating on travelling to Dublin.

Sharono, I will let you know I how I get on. I called them a few days ago (the low call number) and they said they are not taking phone calls in the passport office as they are spending their time trying to clear the backlog. I said I wanted to let them know my travel date and the lady advised me to go into the office and talk to them directly. so hopefully i will know more monday morning. i can't look forward to my holiday until i get it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Sabrielle

12-15 days doesn't seem too bad, it is Ireland after all and things are slow here in general. I need a passport for the beginning of May and I applied last Thurdays, giving me 16 working days so fingers crossed.

Sabrielle wrote: »
    12-15 days doesn't seem too bad, it is Ireland after all and things are slow here in general. I need a passport for the beginning of May and I applied last Thurdays, giving me 16 working days so fingers crossed.

Good luck with that. You'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Sabrielle

Do ryan air still accept the national age card for travelling to the UK? I know they don't take driving licenses anymore. If not I'll just have to take the ferry lo if I don't get the passport in timel.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Do ryan air still accept the national age card for travelling to the UK?

No. Ryanair will accept a passport and a passport only - even for a flight from Dublin to Cork, you would need a passport.

Aer Lingus have a different policy. They will allow a wide range of different IDs for flights to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

I apply on 9th april any chance of getting it by month end
    please give tip of magic email,call.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

please keep update of news i apply on friday 9th april

thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement