Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

0lddog wrote: »
    You might be thinking of Thomas Cook there ?

I understand that Thomson.co.uk holidays are not offered to people who live outside the UK for ABTA licencing reasons.

I was, scarlet :o

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Thanks for the replies folks.
    Think I will give it go in a couple of days time if I don't see any better deals around.
    If I do book it, I will fill in my full address and put Ireland in the box for county and then use the BT11AA as the postcode.
    I will try the same when entering my credit card details and hopefull the post code on the end will not effect the payment going through. Also rather than just paying a deposit and then the final payment closer to the departure date, I think I will just pay the full amount in one go and therefore not having to complete payment forms twice and run the chance of something being flagged

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

It works.
    Got confirmation email and funds deducted from credit card.
    Just have to wait untill 5 weeks before holiday for e-tickets to be emailed to me.
    Happy days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Starting to panic so any advice would be appreciated. Going away on Thursday on a 2pm flight. I sent away for my passport on Tuesday 22nd of january so 11 days ago. But I checked the passport tracker mad it's still on the 1st step Tuesday is 10 working but will still have to wait on it to be posted and delivered. Any tips on what I can do if anything to speed it along or just hope and pray and learn a lesson to order one earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

HI,

We plan to travel to the Canaries on a RyanAir flight next Friday, 7th Feb., for a one week stay. Our passports expire on 23rd March. Will the expiry date of our passports be an issue with either RyanAir or Passport Control ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

unfit2006 wrote: »
    HI,

We plan to travel to the Canaries on a RyanAir flight next Friday, 7th Feb., for a one week stay. Our passports expire on 23rd March. Will the expiry date of our passports be an issue with either RyanAir or Passport Control ?

No. Not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Starting to panic so any advice would be appreciated. Going away on Thursday on a 2pm flight. I sent away for my passport on Tuesday 22nd of january so 11 days ago. But I checked the passport tracker mad it's still on the 1st step Tuesday is 10 working but will still have to wait on it to be posted and delivered. Any tips on what I can do if anything to speed it along or just hope and pray and learn a lesson to order one earlier?

Any update on yours?

I am in the same position. Applied for my childrens' PPs and mine is in with them as proof of nationality (post Dec 04 kids). Express apps in the Post Office on the 17th, registered as received on the 20th and listed for issue on the 31st. Its now the 3rd and they have not even been moved on to the review stage. They are not taking any phone calls. I've sent and email query but the basic questions I asked via email before submitting them took 2 days to be answered. We are meant to be travelling Sunday and this ten working days I was reassured of is falling flat on its face and I'm in a panic.

I'm close on requesting an appointment via the website but dont know if thats a waste of their time and really don't want to add to what is clearly a fecking delayed system as is.

Paaaaaanic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ceannain

It's too late now for you but we have booked accommodation only this way before and then flights separately from Dublin,hiring a car when we get there. Worked out a lot cheaper than booking with Falcon!
    Might be useful to someone else-Enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Wednesday would be 10 working days as they would not have received it on the 22nd. Go 10 working days from the date it says received on the Tracker.

Once it is checked and all is OK it will go through the system quickly.

Best to contact them by phone and if no joy get an email into them ASAP saying you are travelling on Thursday. A copy of your flight ticket would also be no harm

Still zero progress with my passport express apps and on working day no 13 now. 24hrs with no email response and another morning where calls are not going through to their office. No sleep either as I kept having nightmares about telling the children we were not going to Disneyland after all and trying to stop them crying :( Utterly disgusted, Express Passports my arse and instead of enjoying the excitement in the build up to the family trip, I'm stressed and angry.

• Advertisement

KGLady wrote: »
    Still zero progress with my passport express apps and on working day no 13 now. 24hrs with no email response and another morning where calls are not going through to their office. No sleep either as I kept having nightmares about telling the children we were not going to Disneyland after all and trying to stop them crying :( Utterly disgusted, Express Passports my arse and instead of enjoying the excitement in the build up to the family trip, I'm stressed and angry.

The turnaround time for passports at the moment is less than 10 working days so I would expect there is an issue of some description. Keep trying by phone.

I finally got through to Molesworth St and had the applications given an initial review while I was on the phone and said there is no issue, its just sheer backlog in Balbriggan and was promised a call back as it was escalted.

I just received the most unpleasant phone call from a gentleman person in Balbriggan telling me they have 46k applications and that the Passport Express 10 day service is not guaranteed. He said someone would look at it tomorrow, which I was unhappy with and the call took a turn further for the worse and became aggressive. I was told I was being promised nothing but if I wanted a callback I had to promise him not to make any further calls to the Molesworth St Office at which point I tried to explain I called once yesterday and was told to call again today of there was no progess - which I did. He ended the call fairly abruptly at that point and was left with the phone in my hand, just reeling.

I'm still gobsmacked and upset that I have followed procedure and have now been spoken to like a bold child and warned off making further calls.

Literally don't know what to do other than wait and I AM worried now about making attempts to follow up after being warned off.

Second call back to verify the application numbers written on the rear of the photos were the right way around (they were the kids are close in age so it seemed confusing) and so I've been told they'll print today. Fingers crossed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My sister passport expires on the 28th of February, however an elderly relative has recently taken very ill in the UK, we are afraid the man will die. Is it OK to fly on Ryanair with an Irish passport to the UK up until the expiration of my sisters passport?

I know for example you cannot fly to the USA unless you have 6 months validity left on a passport, is there any rule like this with Ryanair and flying to the UK?

She is afraid to renew it now until after the passport expires encase he dies and she'd need to go to the funeral. She can always fly Aer Lingus with her driving licence but Ryanair from Kerry to Luton is the route that is most logical in this instance compared to Aer Lingus from Cork to Heathrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Stinicker wrote: »
    My sister passport expires on the 28th of February, however an elderly relative has recently taken very ill in the UK, we are afraid the man will die. Is it OK to fly on Ryanair with an Irish passport to the UK up until the expiration of my sisters passport?

I know for example you cannot fly to the USA unless you have 6 months validity left on a passport, is there any rule like this with Ryanair and flying to the UK?

She is afraid to renew it now until after the passport expires encase he dies and she'd need to go to the funeral. She can always fly Aer Lingus with her driving licence but Ryanair from Kerry to Luton is the route that is most logical in this instance compared to Aer Lingus from Cork to Heathrow.

Yes. She's fine to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Stinicker wrote: »

As long as the passport is valid on the date of travel she will be fine with Ryanair. However there is no 6 month validity rule for travel to the USA. It just needs to be valid for the duration of the visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

veetwin wrote: »
    However there is no 6 month validity rule for travel to the USA. It just needs to be valid for the duration of the visit.

Someone needs to inform some of the agents working in the US airports...got told "this passport has expired, you can't travel on it" when there was 3 days left :rolleyes: Referred to her superior, was nervous and was then questioned to why i was so nervous, and flagged for secondary screening. :P

You'd think they'd know the rules considering they do this on a daily basis, to be honest. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Someone needs to inform some of the agents working in the US airports...got told "this passport has expired, you can't travel on it" when there was 3 days left :rolleyes: Referred to her superior, was nervous and was then questioned to why i was so nervous, and flagged for secondary screening. :P

You'd think they'd know the rules considering they do this on a daily basis, to be honest. :cool:

I know exactly the people you mean. I took my family to Disneyland a couple of years ago. Checking in for the SNN-JFK flight was "memorable". The little witch who called herself "security on behalf of the airline" (she was American) was up her own árse to say least and full of an inflated sense of self-importance.

She went crazy when my wife couldn't identify one of the bags I was carrying, which was actually because I packed all of our bags, and I COULD identify all of them, and then she went crazy because I had a UK driving licence while resident in Ireland (shock horror!). She had to get some senior security-on-behalf-of-the-airline numpty to come over to give us the once over and eventually we were allowed to check-in, but not before they stood a distance away, whispering about us for a few minutes. All part of the drama, apparently.

Funny thing was, after checking in and when going through the security scanners upstairs, just before stamping in to the US immigration in Shannon, she was there again, only this time she was nice as pie and talking to us about Disneyland! She said to me, and I quote, "sorry about earlier, that was my evil twin downstairs", and gave me a wink! So what does that mean? She was acknowledging she was being an absolute príck for no reason or what? Weird experience. Still, we had a great holiday!

Sorry, went a bit off topic there but yeah - watch out of them "security working on behalf of the airline" folk - they're douchebags sent from the US to make you wish you never booked the flight (well, nearly).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Has anyone gotten a passport returned from passport express in the last few days?
    If so how long did it take?

On their webpage they have the turnaround as 5-6 days but my 10 days are up today and it's still sitting at a status of 'registered'.

In work now so can't ring them but the thing is I'm due to travel next Thursday the 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

frash wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten a passport returned from passport express in the last few days?
    If so how long did it take?

On their webpage they have the turnaround as 5-6 days but my 10 days are up today and it's still sitting at a status of 'registered'.

In work now so can't ring them but the thing is I'm due to travel next Thursday the 13th.

Sent mine away just over 2 weeks ago and got it back in 7 workings days.. pretty fast tbh

• Advertisement

Akarinn wrote: »
    Sent mine away just over 2 weeks ago and got it back in 7 workings days.. pretty fast tbh

Impressive - today is the 10th working day that they have mine.
    Worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

frash wrote: »
    Impressive - today is the 10th working day that they have mine.
    Worried.

Well they do say it can take up to 10 working days so dont get too worried.

Seems to be 11 working days for Passport Express now.

Just got approved on the 11th day.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

The temporary staff who do most of the work haven't started yet this year, hence the delays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

One of the senior officials in revenue said its no definite figure. Just as long as its for personal use, which is up to 3,200 cigarettes as long as you have the receipt and they are the same brand

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

Does anyone know if a photocopy of my student card or age card would be acceptable as photo ID, or if I need to send the actual card? Also, as an original birth cert is required, will this be returned with my passport? I would feel safer not having to risk losing these items in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Blanchguy wrote: »
    The temporary staff who do most of the work haven't started yet this year, hence the delays.

:D

What delays? There have been 2 on here in the last few weeks.

I don't believe there is a need for temporary staff due to the success of the appointment service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

AGC wrote: »
    I don't believe there is a need for temporary staff due to the success of the appointment service.

Better tell DFAT so - there's 60 odd temporaries starting over the next few weeks...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement