Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Has anyone had any recent dealings with the Passport Express service? I applied on the 13th of last month and the tracker says it's "printed" but not posted. I'm flying on Sunday, so have until Friday to organize so feeling a little under pressure today!

Have tried calling, but there's an autoresponder to say they're busy due to high volumes, and emailed early this morning but have nothing back as yet. Has anyone ever collected directly from the passport office?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If it's printed you'll be fine it should be with you tomorrow. There's a passport thread above that this should be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

If it's printed you'll be fine it should be with you tomorrow. There's a passport thread above that this should be in.

Great - and thanks re passport thread - I missed it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

I have booked return flights to UK for myself, my husband and 3 children aged 4, 5 and 6. We will be flying with Aer Lingus.

Both myself and my husband will be using our drivers licences as our passports have expired. I checked this with the Aer Lingus website.
    I was also under the impression from the Aer Lingus website that as our children are under age 16, and they will be travelling with us, they do not need any photo ID.

Someone told me today that our children do, in fact, need passports. However, they thought we were flying Ryanair.

Can any of you confirm that our children don't need passports?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Chocolate wrote: »
    I have booked return flights to UK for myself, my husband and 3 children aged 4, 5 and 6. We will be flying with Aer Lingus.

Both myself and my husband will be using our drivers licences as our passports have expired. I checked this with the Aer Lingus website.
    I was also under the impression from the Aer Lingus website that as our children are under age 16, and they will be travelling with us, they do not need any photo ID.

Someone told me today that our children do, in fact, need passports. However, they thought we were flying Ryanair.

Can any of you confirm that our children don't need passports?

It's always best to check the airlines published ID policies. An extract from Aer Lingus's is set out below with the relevant part emboldened and italicised.

Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel

Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification.
    Note: In order to travel between Ireland and the UK with photo identification other than a passport, passengers must have been born in Ireland or the UK and also be a citizen of either country.
    The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
    • Valid Passport
    • Driver's licence with photo
    • International student card
    • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    • Bus pass with photo
    • Work ID with photo
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

Marcusm wrote: »
    It's always best to check the airlines published ID policies. An extract from Aer Lingus's is set out below with the relevant part emboldened and italicised.

Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel

Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification.
    Note: In order to travel between Ireland and the UK with photo identification other than a passport, passengers must have been born in Ireland or the UK and also be a citizen of either country.
    The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
    • Valid Passport
    • Driver's licence with photo
    • International student card
    • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    • Bus pass with photo
    • Work ID with photo
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

Thanks, that's the information I had located when I booked the flights back in January so I didn't do anything about ordering passports. It's just the text I received today had me second guessing my interpretation of what I had read.

I was really just hoping someone might come on and confirm that they have actually travelled (Aer Lingus) to the UK with children and that children didn't need passports.

This is a one off trip for us. It's most unlikely we'll be going on other flights any time soon so I was hoping not to have to get passports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

If you want to get some photo ID (I don't think it's necessary but it might make you feel calmer) you could apply for ID from Dublin Bus, Irish Rail or Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Trilbycat

If you are thinking of travelling and need a passport - do not take it for granted that because you are using passport express that your passport will be ready in the 10 given days.
    I applied for my passport on 10th FEB and here we are 10th March and NO PASSPORT.
    Granted there was a problem with my application - as my original passport got lost (I was in shock to find it missing). After eventually finding a rural garda station open and making a second set of photographs just to have everything in order. I took 3 proof of name, address and long birth certificate into garda station and he signed and stamped the form, the photographs and we were happy with that - not knowing that items should have sent with application form. It was not clear on the form. Application is treated as if it is a whole NEW passport application.
      The next point I wish to make is that it was working day 13 of my application - after my concern that 10 days had passed and nobody from the passport office contacted me and I still had no passport despite passport express giving a 10 day processing time. I had to email them at that point.
      I feel that it is just not good enough and perhaps my application was received and then just left in some folder and forgotten about. Passport Express is not an express service!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Trilbycat, what was/ is the problem?
      Is the problem that they were slow telling you that your application was incomplete?
      Or is the problem that you expected them to go and process your passport in the background whilst you were getting the correct documentation in order to report the passport as being lost?
      Or was the problem that you were sending in bits of applications at different times and the passport office couldnt deal with that?
      You should read your post again and see that its far from clear what the problem is.

• Advertisement

Hi Munchkin_utd. The problem definitely the waiting time.
      If passports are printed off in 10 days - then why was mine not even looked at until day 13.
      I just want to indincate to others that passport express in Dublin are not as fast as they make out to be. Please leave plenty of time for travel. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I agree, I still don't find it clear from what you said. Did you send in an incomplete application to Passport express and on day 13, when they still had not contacted you realised that you had sent it off without certain missing documents?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Trilbycat wrote: »
      Hi Munchkin_utd. The problem definitely the waiting time.
      If passports are printed off in 10 days - then why was mine not even looked at until day 13.
      I just want to indincate to others that passport express in Dublin are not as fast as they make out to be. Please leave plenty of time for travel. :D
      but when had they all necessary documentation in their possession?
      If (which can be made out from what you say) you sent in an incomplete application, then they are right not to process it ahead of other folks who do have a complete and processable application.
      It makes no sense to have the civil service half processing applications on the presumption that the other half of the application is on its way. You can be sure that over 1000s of incomplete applications a not inconsiderable number decide not to persue it for various reasons (like say its tight anyhow so they go by ferry or Aer Lingus to UK rather than Ryanair/ they cancel that meeting in the US etc etc)
      Add up all those wasted minutes and hours on processing incomplete applications which are not folled up on and it only adds to the backlog in processing passports

The point I am trying to make is that my application was not addressed until day 13. It had said on the tracking information that it was received and was being checked.
      Yes I did not send in all relevent forms to passport office but garda and post office clerk did not know about those either. It did not specify that even on the form I was using. Even if I had sent in all relevant documents - I would have thought that it would have been dealt with during those 10 days. They pride their service on it being a 10 day service.
      I was not looking for special treatment! If I had known that such a delay would occur and that my application on 10th FEB is not finished on 11th March - then I would have gone up to the passport office personally!!!
      NOT a 10 day service!!!

Sorry Trilbycat this is user error. The form is very easy to follow, you made the mistake, take some responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Trilbycat wrote: »
      The point I am trying to make is that my application was not addressed until day 13. It had said on the tracking information that it was received and was being checked.
      Yes I did not send in all relevent forms to passport office but garda and post office clerk did not know about those either. It did not specify that even on the form I was using. Even if I had sent in all relevant documents - I would have thought that it would have been dealt with during those 10 days. They pride their service on it being a 10 day service.
      I was not looking for special treatment! If I had known that such a delay would occur and that my application on 10th FEB is not finished on 11th March - then I would have gone up to the passport office personally!!!
      NOT a 10 day service!!!

It is clear as day on the website as to the waiting times and it is 15 days.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/track-your-passport/

If there was no backlog your passport would be checked a lot quicker. As was the case earlier in the year.

When you send back the form with full documentation it is checked straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

AGC wrote: »
      It is clear as day on the website as to the waiting times and it is 15 days.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/track-your-passport/

If there was no backlog your passport would be checked a lot quicker. As was the case earlier in the year.

When you send back the form with full documentation it is checked straight away.

Um that link states "All non emergency applications submitted at the public counters in Dublin or Cork will have a standard 15 working day turnaround."

The website stated they were achieving a turn around of 5/6 days on average for the prior week, when I sent mine away in early Feb. It took 15 working days.

Maybe the website should list proper times and not just false claims...I think that's what this posters issue is. And I agree with them.

Um that link states "All non emergency applications submitted at the public counters in Dublin or Cork will have a standard 15 working day turnaround."

The website stated they were achieving a turn around of 5/6 days on average for the prior week, when I sent mine away in early Feb. It took 15 working days.

Maybe the website should list proper times and not just false claims...I think that's what this posters issue is. And I agree with them.

Maybe have a look at the turnaround time section and you will see it.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/passport-express/current-turnaround-times/

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

Have a real problem here now which I'm sure has been seen many, many times before on here...

I'm in London and the girlfriend and her son are supposed to be flying over next week with Ryanair from Derry to Stansted...the problem is he hasn't got a passport so we sent away and applied for it...had to get phots, affadavit form signed by commissioner of oaths and garda, and few other bits. anyway the passport office sent the stuff back today saying that the affadavit form wasn't good enough and that the photos were too dar around the eyes or something!! Raging!!

Any way that she will be able to get this back by next week now at all?? Would going to see local councillor be of any use?? help please !

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Don't go through any politicians, it wont do you any good.

Your girlfriend needs to do whats been asked so

1) do the affidavit and get it properly witnessed, make sure it is done to the letter of the law (scribble out anything that needs to be scribbled out). Double check and triple check its right, you cant afford to waste any more time on stupid mistakes.

2) get new photos taken, make sure they're done somewhere the people taking them know what they're doing. Tell your girlfriend to read the photo guidelines and make sure that they're right - be satisfied before they are printed.

Send in the new photos and the affidavit. There should be a contact telephone number (not the main switch number) on the letter. Keep that and the application number. Tell you girlfriend to ring that contact number a working day or 2 after she sends the stuff in and they should be able to move it on and have it approved in time for travel - I presume at the weekend??

Most important - no need to panic.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

Thanks very much for the reply..yeah I'm guessing that they commissioner of oaths must have messed it up...she was in seeing him again today so waiting to hear what story was.

I'll try to get her to get it all sent tomorrow if possible...have to find garda available etc...gonna be a handling I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Hi guys.

I'm due to start s job in a week and they need a certified copy of a passport. I went to the guards and they won't issue me an ml10 form because I'm not known personally. I need a passport fast (as in a day or 2) or I might lose the job. Is there any way to do this? Thanks.

11521323 wrote: »
      Hi guys.

I'm due to start s job in a week and they need a certified copy of a passport. I went to the guards and they won't issue me an ml10 form because I'm not known personally. I need a passport fast (as in a day or 2) or I might lose the job. Is there any way to do this? Thanks.

Get all your documents together with a copy of the job offer outlining that you need it. Make an appointment for Monday morning and explain the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

11521323 wrote: »
      Hi guys.

I went to the guards and they won't issue me an ml10 form because I'm not known personally.

The Passport Office wont accept an ML10 as photo ID anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

netopia wrote: »
      The Passport Office wont accept an ML10 as photo ID anyway

It's not for that my job will accept an ml10 as form of Id in place of a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Hi all, my college NUIG has offered me the opportunity to spend the upcoming fall semester studying in Hong Kong. However, my dilemma lies in that my passport will be out of date by March 2015, while my final month of study will be November/December. I have noticed that there is a requirement of having a minimum 6 month gap on my passport expiration date. However, I must submit all my application forms (including a photocopy of my passport) by the end of this week, Friday. Hence, I was hoping you could offer me some guidance on what my best possible plan of action here could be? My mother has suggested travelling to Dublin to obtain an emergency passport, however with my exam period coming up (in Galway) that would be extremely inconvenient.
      Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Yeah I've emailed the Irish Consulate in Hong Kong. I believe it is similar to the 6 month rule in the US. On my application form, anyway, it says that all applicants must have a passport that is valid at least 6 months after the semester has ended. Not exactly sure why this is required, nor how lenient they could be with 3/4 months.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Wesc. wrote: »
      Hi all, my college NUIG has offered me the opportunity to spend the upcoming fall semester studying in Hong Kong. However, my dilemma lies in that my passport will be out of date by March 2015, while my final month of study will be November/December. I have noticed that there is a requirement of having a minimum 6 month gap on my passport expiration date. However, I must submit all my application forms (including a photocopy of my passport) by the end of this week, Friday. Hence, I was hoping you could offer me some guidance on what my best possible plan of action here could be? My mother has suggested travelling to Dublin to obtain an emergency passport, however with my exam period coming up (in Galway) that would be extremely inconvenient.
      Thank you.

Where did you get this information? For normal entry to HK your passport needs to be valid for a month after your exit date IIRC. Obviously it could be different for a student visa so you'll need to double check.

To whom are you submitting all your application forms? The college or the HK authorities?

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement