Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Where did you get this information? For normal entry to HK your passport needs to be valid for a month after your exit date IIRC. Obviously it could be different for a student visa so you'll need to double check.

To whom are you submitting all your application forms? The college or the HK authorities?

http://www.consulateofireland.hk/ If you scroll down to the 'Passport' section it says in the 3rd bullet point "The passport must have no less than six months validity from the date of the completion of the course."

I have to submit my application forms to the international affairs office in NUIG who then forward them on to Hong Kong Uni of Science and Technology. However, in the instructions we were given as part of application procedure, NUIG also informs us that our passports must be valid 6 months after the last date of the exchange term, which I have only come across today, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Wesc. wrote: »
    http://www.consulateofireland.hk/ If you scroll down to the 'Passport' section it says in the 3rd bullet point "The passport must have no less than six months validity from the date of the completion of the course."

I have to submit my application forms to the international affairs office in NUIG who then forward them on to Hong Kong Uni of Science and Technology. However, in the instructions we were given as part of application procedure, NUIG also informs us that our passports must be valid 6 months after the last date of the exchange term, which I have only come across today, unfortunately.

The page you linked to refers to applications for Irish study visas from HK residents so is completely irrelevant. If you want information on visas for HK you need to go to the Immigration Dept of HK.

On the other hand, if NUIG are telling you it's a requirement they've come across it before I'm sure.

You really need to discuss your options with NUIG - nobody here can give you definitive advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Hi all,

I'm flying to Manchester on Friday with Aer Lingus, I lost both my passport and drivers license in a burglary recently and havent been able to get them replaced. My PP application was declined on an unfortunately technicality while the driver license is simply taking forever.

I do have a work ID (HID) that has my name, my picture and my companys brand. According to the AerLingus website this will work, and according to someone I know who works with Aer Lingus ground ops it should work, although it would preferably have an expiry date.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 theowlsquill

Hi everyone,

I'm an American citizen registering my foreign birth in Ireland via my Irish-born grandmother. Everything is in order except for proof of her name change. The application requires:

Documentary evidence and 2 years proof of usage must be provided for any change of name
    (e.g. Change of name by Deed poll)

I've seen folks on this forum be advised regarding the 2 years proof of usage as substitute evidence, but in this case it seems like I must also provide a document. My grandmother did not change her name via deed poll– she just started using the new name when she got married (in 1958).

Does anyone know how I can obtain documentary evidence, or whether 2 years' worth of bank statements will be sufficient for my application?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Hello,

I sent away for my passport a while ago and they sent back asking for additional forms but when I went to post this, i placed it in the Waterford Only letterbox, as opposed to everywhere else in Ireland where its meant to make its way to Cork. I've emailed Cork passport office and not got a reply back. Can anyone tell me if it'll still make its way to Cork or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

OK, Thank you Fred. I still think I'll sweat it until I'm sitting on the plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Hi everyone,

I'm an American citizen registering my foreign birth in Ireland via my Irish-born grandmother. Everything is in order except for proof of her name change. The application requires:

Documentary evidence and 2 years proof of usage must be provided for any change of name
    (e.g. Change of name by Deed poll)

I've seen folks on this forum be advised regarding the 2 years proof of usage as substitute evidence, but in this case it seems like I must also provide a document. My grandmother did not change her name via deed poll– she just started using the new name when she got married (in 1958).

Does anyone know how I can obtain documentary evidence, or whether 2 years' worth of bank statements will be sufficient for my application?

Cheers!

Her marriage cert would be the normal route, you don't mention a problem with getting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 theowlsquill

Cedrus wrote: »
    Her marriage cert would be the normal route, you don't mention a problem with getting this.

Hi-- true, I've got the marriage cert. It doesn't indicate a change of name, though. It only lists her maiden name as "bride". Is that standard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Hi-- true, I've got the marriage cert. It doesn't indicate a change of name, though. It only lists her maiden name as "bride". Is that standard?

In 1958 in this part of the world, the name change would be presumed. Irish marriage certs don't show a name change just the couples original names and the witnesses (often the parents).

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

Hi,

Just wondering what does issue date mean exactly on the passport.ie tracking site. It's issue date is 31/03 and I need it 7/04.

Can anyone clear this up for me please?

Hopefully I've not missed this but I did have a quick scan through.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

rodgered wrote: »
    Just wondering what does issue date mean exactly on the passport.ie tracking site.
    It's a prediction: the date on which it will be issued if nothing goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hey folks
    I'm traveling to fuerteventura in April for a week and 4 days after I come
    Home my passport is up , will there be A problem traveling ? Do I need a certain amount of time left on my passport I'm flying wit Ryan Air

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not within the EU or the US. You do need to have 3 months (possibly more) remaining for certain countries but not either of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Hi,

Just wondering what does issue date mean exactly on the passport.ie tracking site. It's issue date is 31/03 and I need it 7/04.

Thanks

My passport renewal application has an issue date of 20/3 and is listed as being checked. They phoned me early last week to check a couple of details on the application - mother's maiden name and county of birth of my Father. I thought I would receive it fairly quickly after that, but no such luck. I think an post should change the name of the service because it is by no means an express service, my sister lives in the UK and renewed passports for her and her children through the embassy and received them back a lot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Hi,

Thanks

Mine was actually issued a week after the date the site gave (and the site continued to list the original date with no updates). They're not sticking to the ten day guideline at the moment, you'll probably be stretching it :/ Might be worth attempting to get in contact with them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Soap_Soup

Right, I'm in a bit of a predicament here folks, was wondering if anyone's had any experience of this.

I arrived in the US today (here for a week for work). Anyway, I noticed on the plane that after going through US customs in Dublin, the main plastic page of my passport is now hanging off by a thread. It had previously had a very light crack in it along the top but it always seemed grand. But after whatever the US customs woman did with it, it now looks in complete bits. It's visibly hanging by a thread, and I'm not sure it will even still be attached this time next week.

My gut feeling is that US customs on the way home would be awkward and say its a void passport (which is true enough), and I really don't want to run that risk. But I'm in the US and only for a week so there's no chance of me getting a new one on time.

Does anyone have any idea as what to do?

I'm going to ring the US embassy tomorrow. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a complete nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Soap_Soup wrote: »
    Right, I'm in a bit of a predicament here folks, was wondering if anyone's had any experience of this.

I arrived in the US today (here for a week for work). Anyway, I noticed on the plane that after going through US customs in Dublin, the main plastic page of my passport is now hanging off by a thread. It had previously had a very light crack in it along the top but it always seemed grand. But after whatever the US customs woman did with it, it now looks in complete bits. It's visibly hanging by a thread, and I'm not sure it will even still be attached this time next week.

My gut feeling is that US customs on the way home would be awkward and say its a void passport (which is true enough), and I really don't want to run that risk. But I'm in the US and only for a week so there's no chance of me getting a new one on time.

Does anyone have any idea as what to do?

I'm going to ring the US embassy tomorrow. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a complete nightmare.

You mean the Irish embassy, obviously.

Normally, you'd have to go to a police station, but I think that only applies if it's lost or stolen. Effecitviely, you'll be handing back your passport as being "destoyed" and they'll give you a one-off emergency return document for the trip back. You'll then have to go about obtaining a new one from scratch when you're home.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oh, ok. Good thing he's not flying Ryanair...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

If the main page of the passport is tore off (I'm just being realistic because I know that last little strand of plastic fibre isn't going to last a week), would they not have a problem with me not having a 'valid' passport to travel? I mean, would imagine I wouldn't even get away with using that as a passport for Ireland-UK flights.

Also, yes, I meant the Irish embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

If the main page of the passport is tore off (I'm just being realistic because I know that last little strand of plastic fibre isn't going to last a week), would they not have a problem with me not having a 'valid' passport to travel? I mean, would imagine I wouldn't even get away with using that as a passport for Ireland-UK flights.

Also, yes, I meant the Irish embassy.

What are you planning on doing with your passport in the next week that would make its condition worse?

Put it away and take it out when you need to check in.

The Irish consulate recommended I don't try to fly with it. They're of the opinion that I'd likely run into issues with the US officials.

They're sending me a form to fill out for an emergency travel document, then I have to fedex them it back with the original passport, 2 passport photos, copies of my flight details, and a money order and they'll send back the broken passport and emergency travel document.

Thank God for the Irish Consulate. The nicest, most helpful people I've talked to in America so far!haha.

The one thing I'm a little worried about is sending them my passport, because what would be worse than having a damaged passport would be having no passport at all. So I might see if they'll accept a photocopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The Irish consulate recommended I don't try to fly with it. They're of the opinion that I'd likely run into issues with the US officials.

They're sending me a form to fill out for an emergency travel document, then I have to fedex them it back with the original passport, 2 passport photos, copies of my flight details, and a money order and they'll send back the broken passport and emergency travel document.

Thank God for the Irish Consulate. The nicest, most helpful people I've talked to in America so far!haha.

The one thing I'm a little worried about is sending them my passport, because what would be worse than having a damaged passport would be having no passport at all. So I might see if they'll accept a photocopy.

Which consulate and which city are you working in?

When I lost a passport while on a business trip to New York, I spent only 30 minutes in the consulate organising the emergency travel document.

I was/am living in London and flying BA. They said they would have accepted me for travel without a passport. There are no US officials on the return, the issue is only airline acceptability.

On business in Philadelphia, so I was talking to the New York consulate.

Unfortunately I won't be able to go to the actual consulate offices (which would have made it that bit handier). I'm actually going to New York on Friday evening until Sunday too, but I can't go during the week due to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Realistically, a short interview without any paperwork should be acceptable too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement