Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pkmckay147

This post has been deleted.

What a wonderful idea. Never occurred to me.

Of course, it would possibly help if they would actually have their phone service switched on. As has been noted earlier in the thread, they are not currently providing a phone service.

A recorded message is played stating that the volume of calls it too high and to email them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

My tale of woe with the passport service

27th Feb - sent 3 application forms (wife and 2 sons) using Royal Mail Special Delivery to Irish Embassy in London
    28th Feb - package shown as delivered
    7th March - online tracker shows 'registered'
    2nd April - still showing 'registered' so I sent an email to the Irish Embassy asking what is the status as we are flying to Dublin using Ryanair on the 11th April - no reply
    3rd April - online tracker shows 'approved'
    4th April - online tracker shows 'printed'

It is still showing as 'printed' and I can only hope they are in transit to the Embassy in London for sending to me by Friday, 11th. I included a RM special delivery self addressed envelope so should get here by 1pm on Friday if the passports are sent on Thursday from the Embassy otherwise I am going to Dublin on my own!

There is no way, that I can find, to actually speak to anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

pkmckay147 wrote: »
    What a wonderful idea. Never occurred to me.

Of course, it would possibly help if they would actually have their phone service switched on. As has been noted earlier in the thread, they are not currently providing a phone service.

A recorded message is played stating that the volume of calls it too high and to email them instead.

The phones aren't switched off just very busy.

Did have a laugh when I read the phone service isn't switched on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Irish Blood Hound

Hey just a quick question, everything for the passport is sorted so far but I am confused on one thing , I got a passport at about 14 or 15 which my parents applied for and now I am filling out the forms for my own passport at age 21 , so is this my 2nd time or my 1st ? Also I am an Irish national born of Irish parents do I have to include my birth certificate and my passport when sending the form off ?

• Advertisement

This is your 2nd passport and yes to both of your other questions

• Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hey just a quick question, everything for the passport is sorted so far but I am confused on one thing , I got a passport at about 14 or 15 which my parents applied for and now I am filling out the forms for my own passport at age 21 , so is this my 2nd time or my 1st ? Also I am an Irish national born of Irish parents do I have to include my birth certificate and my passport when sending the form off ?

If it's your own passport and it's only 7 years old, forgive the stupid question, but why do you need to apply for a new one?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Also I am an Irish national born of Irish parents do I have to include my birth certificate and my passport when sending the form off ?

The form that you fill out has the list of documents that should accompany your application. These all will apply unless it says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Has anyone else received their passport yet? Sent it on 15th March..
    Received on 18th March
    Processing ever since..due date on 31st March

Two emails and numerous failed calls and today it has changed to received 9th April and is being checked?!?!

Flying out on Wednesday.it's an absolute joke to be honest, why say there will be a ten day turn around when it's far from the truth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Argh now it's being sent back to me.anybody know if you can still go into Molesworth street and plead your case to get it fast tracked? Flying out on Wednesday.

PinkFly wrote: »
    Argh now it's being sent back to me.anybody know if you can still go into Molesworth street and plead your case to get it fast tracked? Flying out on Wednesday.

If you have your flight ticket and extra documentation needed get onto them. Returned passports are generally done quickly enough

My tale of woe with the passport service

27th Feb - sent 3 application forms (wife and 2 sons) using Royal Mail Special Delivery to Irish Embassy in London
    28th Feb - package shown as delivered
    7th March - online tracker shows 'registered'
    2nd April - still showing 'registered' so I sent an email to the Irish Embassy asking what is the status as we are flying to Dublin using Ryanair on the 11th April - no reply
    3rd April - online tracker shows 'approved'
    4th April - online tracker shows 'printed'

It is still showing as 'printed' and I can only hope they are in transit to the Embassy in London for sending to me by Friday, 11th. I included a RM special delivery self addressed envelope so should get here by 1pm on Friday if the passports are sent on Thursday from the Embassy otherwise I am going to Dublin on my own!

There is no way, that I can find, to actually speak to anyone

:eek: The passports have just arrived, now to get ready for the flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Hi all,

Am going to have to renew my passport using passport express, problem is that I have two US Visas in there, one expiring in 2019 and the other in 2024. Will I definitely get my old passport back (I REALLY don't want to go have to get those visas again, was an ordeal to get them the first time round), or is it still okay to just mail in a copy of the ID page of my current passport in the envelope?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

River Song wrote: »
    Hi all,

Am going to have to renew my passport using passport express, problem is that I have two US Visas in there, one expiring in 2019 and the other in 2024. Will I definitely get my old passport back (I REALLY don't want to go have to get those visas again, was an ordeal to get them the first time round), or is it still okay to just mail in a copy of the ID page of my current passport in the envelope?

Thanks!

Passport takes precedence over visas, you'll have to send the entire original passport. You WILL get the old one back but I'm not sure how the visas will be transferred to the new passport, you could always ask the professionals

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Hi all,
    Maybe it's been asked already on here but I'm looking to book a holiday to Spain or Portugal this month but my passport expires early next month.
    I will be back be this time just wondering if there is any issues travelling on one that expires so soon after travel?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Hi all,
    Maybe it's been asked already on here but I'm looking to book a holiday to Spain or Portugal this month but my passport expires early next month.
    I will be back be this time just wondering if there is any issues travelling on one that expires so soon after travel?
    Thanks

No issues whatsoever. Irish passports are valid for travel within the EU (and the the US) right up until the date of expiry.

Hi all,

Thanks!

According to DFA:
    If you need to keep this passport, we can accept a photocopy, as long as it’s valid for less than six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,338 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi all,

Thanks!
    Cedrus wrote: »
    Passport takes precedence over visas, you'll have to send the entire original passport. You WILL get the old one back but I'm not sure how the visas will be transferred to the new passport, you could always ask the professionals

Where the passport expiry date is less than 3 months away you are permitted to submit a photocopy of the passport rather than the original. This information was contained in an addendum to the form and I took advantage of it last November. The visas are never removed/transferred; you have to carry both passports or apply for new visas.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Where the passport expiry date is less than 3 months away you are permitted to submit a photocopy of the passport rather than the original. This information was contained in an addendum to the form and I took advantage of it last November. The visas are never removed/transferred; you have to carry both passports or apply for new visas.

< 6 months.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Thanks!

You will get your passport back and the Visas will not be transferred. You will have to carry both passports showing the visas. Unless you go to the US Embassy and get them to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭cottager83

Folks, quick query. My passport is ready for collection in Cork tomor. Is it ok for my brother to collect it for me and does he need any documents? Can't get through to them on the phone! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Do up a letter authorising your brother to collect it with your reference number on it. That worked for me when picking up my mother's in Dublin a few years ago. Obviously things may have changed in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Hey guys, hope someone can advise me for a friend,
    She is uk citizen, living in Dublin and her passport has expired, and she needs to travel to uk for a funeral,
    How does she go about getting a UK emergency passport from Ireland.
    Thank you in advance for any information

• Registered Users Posts: 10,338 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The only way to get a UK passport in Ireland is via the British embassy. However, if flying with Aer Lingus, only photo ID is needed not a passport per se. Such ID can be a driving licence, work ID etc. Otherwise, limited ID requirement if travelling via bus/train/ferry or if flying from Belfast to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Don't know about getting an emergency passport, but you don't need one to travel between Ireland and the UK. You need one if you are flying on Ryanair, because they require everyone to have one, regardless of where you are flying. But the other airlines (Aer Lingus, CityJet etc etc) and the ferry companies don't require you to have one. They'll accept a drivers license as valid ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

We are due to travel to Spain on 4th may for a week and my wife just realised that her passport will expire on 6th June.
    Due to the bank holiday we only have 8 working days until we are due to travel.

Does anyone know if there is anyway of fast tracking one through on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Why do you need a new passport? So long as your passport is valid then you can travel within the eu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

nino1 wrote: »
    We are due to travel to Spain on 4th may for a week and my wife just realised that her passport will expire on 6th June.
    Due to the bank holiday we only have 8 working days until we are due to travel.

Does anyone know if there is anyway of fast tracking one through on time?

Doesn't matter, EU travel you can go ahead. If you're unsure ring the Spanish embassy. But like I said, doesn't matter.

Oh and next time check these things before you book your holiday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement