Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭puddle duck

So here is my update for Sharono and everyone else.

I sent my passport by swift post and it was received on the 23rd March. I sent an email last Friday stating I wanted it to be noted on my application that i was travelling on the 24th April. I got an email back from them on Saturday saying they had noted my travel date.
    I went to the passport office on Molesworth st this morning. Started queueing at about 8:10am. I was 11th in the queue. They let us into the office at 9am and the desks opened at 9.30am. I went to the desk and the guy told me that it had been noted what my travel date was and I just had to wait. I asked him to check if my photo was ok. He was able to pull up my pic and said that it might not go through because my fringe was slightly over my left eye. I went and got more photo's taken there and then in the passport. He said he would scan them and send them to Balbriggan and that I should have my passport by the end of the week.

I was out of the office by 9:50am. Fingers crossed passport will here by the end of the week. I will post an update if I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Sabrielle

Just in case this is of any use to anyone that needs to get to London: Aer Lingus and BMI will accept a drivers license for flights to UK

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Leax

Have just discovered after a long wait to get the passports back that one of my applications had an omission and I have to post the completed documentation to Balbriggan.
    Am due to fly out next week and was wondering if anyone would know my best chance of getting the passport. Would going directly to Molesworth street be considered by the passport office in terms of getting the info to them fast? Also is it possible to drop documentation directly to Balbriggan? Just trying to gather information before I try everything tomorrow to get this sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

So here is my update for Sharono and everyone else.

I sent my passport by swift post and it was received on the 23rd March. I sent an email last Friday stating I wanted it to be noted on my application that i was travelling on the 24th April. I got an email back from them on Saturday saying they had noted my travel date.
    I went to the passport office on Molesworth st this morning. Started queueing at about 8:10am. I was 11th in the queue. They let us into the office at 9am and the desks opened at 9.30am. I went to the desk and the guy told me that it had been noted what my travel date was and I just had to wait. I asked him to check if my photo was ok. He was able to pull up my pic and said that it might not go through because my fringe was slightly over my left eye. I went and got more photo's taken there and then in the passport. He said he would scan them and send them to Balbriggan and that I should have my passport by the end of the week.

I was out of the office by 9:50am. Fingers crossed passport will here by the end of the week. I will post an update if I do.

PuddleDuck, what email address did you use? I've been emailing using the contact page on the passport.ie website but I can't get a response - the phone line are useless too :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sharono

Thanks Puddleduck, I got an e-mail today saying it was taking 15 working days for passport express and ours should be issued around 14th. I used the e-mail address on the passport website, took 4 e-mails but they answered the last 2 very quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭puddle duck

Nicki123 wrote: »
    PuddleDuck, what email address did you use? I've been emailing using the contact page on the passport.ie website but I can't get a response - the phone line are useless too :mad:

I just used the contact page link.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mariaod

I have 2 questions that i really need help with if anyone can answer....

1. I sent off my partners passport today, just a regular postal application, didnt realise it could be sent by passport express. We are going on hooney moon the 6th of june. am i totally over reacting or does any one else have any idea that is going to take.???

2. I sent a passport off today by passport express, i am travelling on the 5th of June, how long has it taken other people to get theirs back using this method?

Thanks alot.

I never noted down tht application number on a passport application i sent off today so now i have no way of tracking it, total disaster, could anyone help me out? if i rang or called into the office and gave my name is there any way they could check it for me???

would really appreciate if anyone has any info at all....
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

You have a receipt, right?

have a receipt for the one i posted using passport express so i have application number for that but not the one i posted by regular application. i only found out about passprt express after i posted the first one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

@ mariarod

passport express 15 to 20 days

regular post 25-30 days

send email with name and dob for regular post to get update

try....

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

word of warning, check EVERY section the gardai witness before leaving the station. I had a lost passport application signed by a member who failed to sign/stamp the lost passport section and only signed the back. When I went back down he was (of course) gone off duty, the other member then signed it (illegibly) and put the wrong date on it.

Outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

Hi,

I applied for a passport in person (Dublin) for myself and my OH on March 30th. Lady at the counter said the passport should be available for collection on April 15th and this was noted on my slip. I've checked the status online and it hasn't moved beyond the registration phase. I'm travelling on April 29th and am slightly concerned about the progress of my application, particularly given the fact that I read this morning that the backlog had reached 66,000.

Would anyone know is it a waste of time to go into the office tomorrow to try and collect the passports?

Also, is there anything that I can do to speed up the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SlaveToTheSkids

Hi all,

I applied for my daughters passport through passport express on the 22nd March, it was registered on the 24th. We are due to fly out nxt Wed. I emailed the passport office about 2wks ago to ask roughly how long it would take with the goings on & so it be noted that I was travelling very soon, got an email back a few hrs later saying 15working days.
    That time is now up tomorrow & the online tracking still says only registered! I have to give passport numbers & details to the airline before I fly (they also have my valid passport with the application!) I've emailed them twice now stating this & I've had no reply! They haven't been answering phones now for the past week either! My biggest worry is that they refuse the pictures, which they apparently haven't even looked at!

Is there anyone who applied around the same time frame had any luck either getting thier passport or getting any info out of them? If I haven't heard anything back from them today I'll be marching in there first thing tomorrow morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Hi all,

I applied for my daughters passport through passport express on the 22nd March, it was registered on the 24th. We are due to fly out nxt Wed. I emailed the passport office about 2wks ago to ask roughly how long it would take with the goings on & so it be noted that I was travelling very soon, got an email back a few hrs later saying 15working days.
    That time is now up tomorrow & the online tracking still says only registered! I have to give passport numbers & details to the airline before I fly (they also have my valid passport with the application!) I've emailed them twice now stating this & I've had no reply! They haven't been answering phones now for the past week either! My biggest worry is that they refuse the pictures, which they apparently haven't even looked at!

Is there anyone who applied around the same time frame had any luck either getting thier passport or getting any info out of them? If I haven't heard anything back from them today I'll be marching in there first thing tomorrow morning!

I know it doesn't help but my experience is exactly the same as yours; sent form on 22 March, went to a status of 'registered' on 25 March and hasn't changed since then.

Don't travel until 22 May so not too concerned....yet!

Does anyone have an email address for the passport office in Dublin? I've tried the online form and, as yet have received no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

dowlinj wrote: »
    Does anyone have an email address for the passport office in Dublin? I've tried the online form and, as yet have received no reply.

passportdublin@dfa.ie

mike5 wrote: »

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

dowlinj wrote: »
    Hi,

I applied for a passport in person (Dublin) for myself and my OH on March 30th. Lady at the counter said the passport should be available for collection on April 15th and this was noted on my slip. I've checked the status online and it hasn't moved beyond the registration phase. I'm travelling on April 29th and am slightly concerned about the progress of my application, particularly given the fact that I read this morning that the backlog had reached 66,000.

Would anyone know is it a waste of time to go into the office tomorrow to try and collect the passports?

Also, is there anything that I can do to speed up the process?

I am in the same boat, curious as to how you fare on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Does anyone know what the chances are of getting a passport ideally before the 28th of April but definitely before the 5th of May? Would the person need to apply for an emergency passport?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sue2010

i send in for my sons passport on the 20th of MArch it showed up as registered on the 23rd of March but is still saying same thing and has not moved on.

As he's a baby had to send my passport with his.

Were going on holiday on 3rd May, What do you think my chances are of getting it back in time.

chef wrote: »
    I am in the same boat, curious as to how you fare on this?

I'll keep you posted. I decided not to bother going in today, as going by previous posts, it would be a waste of time.

If there's no update tomorrow, I'll try calling and see what progress I can make. I've also sent an email but there's been no reply as yet. I won't be holding my breath waiting for them to get back to me.

I'll be aggressively pursuing this next week, I have no intention of missing out on my trip away. Another trip to the passport office is definitely on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Does anyone know if Flybe will accept a driving license for a flight to the UK? I need to fly to Southampton on Friday week and my new passport probably won't be back on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Donie75 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Flybe will accept a driving license for a flight to the UK? I need to fly to Southampton on Friday week and my new passport probably won't be back on time.
    Domestic/Republic of Ireland travel

Passengers travelling to the Republic of Ireland must have a form of ID which proves their nationality / citizenship for immigration purposes.
    • A valid passport
    • An expired passport (can be used on domestic flights for up to two years after expiry)
    • Valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
    • Valid photographic driving licence
    • Valid armed forces identity card
    • Valid police warrant card/badge
    • Valid airport employees security identity pass
    • A child on parent’ s passport is an acceptable form of ID
    • CitizenCard
    • Valid photographic firearm certificate
    • Valid Government-issued identity card
    • SMART card
    • Electoral identity card
    • NUS cards photographic (National Union of Students)
    • Photographic University/College ID card
    • Company ID cards of Nationally recognised companies (photographic)
    • Council issued bus pass (Senior Citizens only)
    • Pension book (as only acceptable form of non-photographic identification)
    • Young Scot Card
    http://www.flybe.com/flightInfo/id_requirements.htm

Talk about a contradiction in terms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 banoffi

Hi all...
    I submitted application for myself and Mr. Banoffi on 6th through Passport Express. The Application Numbers on the receipt are still not showing on the website tracker service. I emailed the dfa (through contact page on website) and got a reply at half seven last night saying:-

"Your applications were received on 7 April and it is currently taking 20 working days to process applications received by passport express. You should continue to track the application online at www.passport.ie."

To give them their due they attended to my query quickly... the problem is my application numbers are still not coming up on the website!!! Is anyone else encountering difficulties with the tracking system???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks Kotek,
    Is there any difference when travelling from Ireland to the UK? Will passport control give me grief in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ladybirdgirl

Hi all.
    I have a three month old and we are due to go to Spain on April 26th. If I bring in proof of travel and forms etc personally, any chance of getting a passport before 25th April?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Donie75 wrote: »
    Thanks Kotek,
    Is there any difference when travelling from Ireland to the UK? Will passport control give me grief in Dublin?

In Dublin airport, you simply need to be able to convince the GNIB that you are an Irish citizen. This is because you will be arriving from within the Common Travel Area are an Irish citizen entering Ireland.

Regarding FlyBe and their conditions of carriage, the FlyBe website says:
    Passengers travelling to the Republic of Ireland must have a form of ID which proves their nationality / citizenship for immigration purposes.

If you have a driving licence and your birth certificate (which shows that you were born on the island of Ireland), this would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SlaveToTheSkids

An update on how I got on. Here's what the situation was:

Hi all,

Checked my staus this morning, still only "Registered". Tried calling them all morning but no answer! So went into the passport office today, could only get in for 12 & was 3rd in the que, which I was really surprised at! Only about 20 people in the other que (new applications). Explained I was flying nxt Wed, the girl took my passport express receipt & went off to make a call, came back & said it would be ready for collection in the morning! I was preparing to have a fight on my hands to get answers but no fuss at all! The online tracking status is now "passport printed". I'm not counting my chickens until I have both passports in my hand though!

Anyone travelling nxt wk should just go into them, the que's seem to be in the morning when they open up. At the counter there was a sign saying that applications made through the counters would get the same turn around time as passport express which was quoted as 12-15 working days. Although I wouldn't rely on this if you are only applying now!

Hope this helps a few of you in a panic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I didn't read the whole thread so this was probably answered but is it possible for a person to fly within Europe if they're still waiting on a passport in the backlog?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement