Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭puddle duck

Update. Sent passport via swift post and it was received the 23rd march. I sent a few emails stating I need the passport for the 24th apr. I went to molesworth office last Monday to say the same thing again and I also asked them to check if my photo was ok. They advised me to take another. So I did there and then. They said I would have it by the end of the week. My status online had not changed until this eve. Up to now it just the receive date and then this eve it changed to passport has been posted!!!! Wohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Nephew wrote: »
    I didn't read the whole thread so this was probably answered but is it possible for a person to fly within Europe if they're still waiting on a passport in the backlog?

Possibly. Between which countries in Europe are you referring to? I assume you're an Irish citizen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sharono

UPDATE. Sent passports on 20thMarch, registered 23rd March until today when it changed to printed and tonight it changed to posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

I didn't read the whole thread so this was probably answered but is it possible for a person to fly within Europe if they're still waiting on a passport in the backlog?

Generally, no. There is a special agreement in power between Ireland and the UK *only* that allows British and Irish citizens to travel without a passport. But you could technically still be asked to prove your citizenship. Also, your airline might ask for a passport, regardless of the border check requirements. In the case of flights to the UK, Ryanair strictly require a passport. Many other airlines will accept alternative forms of ID.

When flying anywhere else in Europe, you will need a passport (or government ID card, which Ireland does not have). You cannot get into the Shengen area without such official ID, no exceptions. Once inside Shengen, you can drive around/take trains between countries. But if you want to fly, you will need a passport again - mostly due to airline requirements. In theory, even within the Shengen area, you are crossing borders and so should have ID on you whenever you go abroad. It is just that in practice, there are very few spot checks on trains and motorways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I ordered my new passport through the express method 2 and a half weeks ago, I'm travelling to London with Ryanair on May 6th so I'm concerned that if something goes wrong with my application that I won't have a new one in time.

Would I still be able to use my current passport(expires in June) for the flight?

• Advertisement

Would I still be able to use my current passport(expires in June) for the flight?

Absolutely, yes. Your current passport is fully valid for travel until the very day it expires.

Some non-EU countries have additional requirements (such as the passport having to be valid for an extra three months). There are no such additional requirements anywhere within the EU and, by EU law, can never be imposed by any EU member.

So whether your new passport arrives or not... you are fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Possibly. Between which countries in Europe are you referring to? I assume you're an Irish citizen?

Yeah, Irish citizen. Flying from Ireland to Spain in May. The passport doesn't actually expire for a few months but he needs a new passport now to obtain a visa for another country for a trip later in May, which he can't get without having 6 months remaining on it.

Would he still be able to use his current valid passport to go to Spain in May, while he is waiting on the new passport to be processed, or do the passport office take in the old passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I ordered my new passport through the express method 2 and a half weeks ago, I'm travelling to London with Ryanair on May 6th so I'm concerned that if something goes wrong with my application that I won't have a new one in time.

Unfortunately you will have to go through the whole process again if there is anything wrong with the application. Fingers crosses you'll be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Yeah, Irish citizen. Flying from Ireland to Spain in May. The passport doesn't actually expire for a few months but he needs a new passport now to obtain a visa for another country for a trip later in May, which he can't get without having 6 months remaining on it.
    Valid passport required then.
    Would he still be able to use his current valid passport to go to Spain in May, while he is waiting on the new passport to be processed, or do the passport office take in the old passport?
    Not sure on that one, I'm sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

My passport is showing as registered 25th March, I need it by April 30th at the latest. What are my chances? I have emailed twice, using the online form & passportdublin@dfa.ie. No reply. Have tried calling 6733015 & 6711633 for the past few days, no answer.

Is anyone else who's passport is registered around this date having any luck? I was going to give it the full 4 weeks (next Thursday) & then if no luck go in to the passport office.

Think this will do any good? Any tips?

• Advertisement

Normally, you would have to send in your old passport when applying for a new one. But due to the chaos surrounding the industrial action, it is now sufficient to send in just a photo copy. So yes, you can keep your old passport and travel on that. See point 2 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

dowlinj wrote: »
    I'll keep you posted. I decided not to bother going in today, as going by previous posts, it would be a waste of time.

If there's no update tomorrow, I'll try calling and see what progress I can make. I've also sent an email but there's been no reply as yet. I won't be holding my breath waiting for them to get back to me.

I'll be aggressively pursuing this next week, I have no intention of missing out on my trip away. Another trip to the passport office is definitely on the cards.

My status has changed to "ready for collection"! This happened as of Friday, so went from registered to ready in the space of a day. They were only 1 day out with the proposed collection date which is good. Applying in person is definitely the way to go if in doubt. Applied March 30th and ready April 16th...took around 12 working days in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

I lost my passport on Friday evening but I managed to recover it in the lost and found in my college this morning. I don't know how it got there or who handed it in. It contains my visa for the USA this summer.

I did not report it as lost over the weekend, although I did go to my nearest Garda Station to fill out a new application for and have them sign the pictures.

Should I be worried about any possible passport fraud, ie someone photocopying the passport or photocopying the visa? Everything looks to be in order, no scratchs or tears. I just don't want to arrive in New York this Summer only for US immigration to start querying my details.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

dowlinj wrote: »
    My status has changed to "ready for collection"! This happened as of Friday, so went from registered to ready in the space of a day. They were only 1 day out with the proposed collection date which is good. Applying in person is definitely the way to go if in doubt. Applied March 30th and ready April 16th...took around 12 working days in total.

Glad to here you got your passport but for someone who sent their passport in two months ago by post it is very frustrating to hear:o. I have a flight on Sunday which I might not be able to take anyway because of the volcano...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Anna_Banana

I sent off my passport application through the express service on 23rd March.

I’ve been checking my tracking number on the website every so often, and for the past month it had said 'Received on 25/03/2010 and has been registered.’

So, it had yet to be checked, approved, and printed.

I know that the turnaround time cannot be guaranteed, but the guideline given is around 21 days. And my application has only been ‘received’ nearly a month ago.

I’ve emailed them, with no response.
    Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Will it be another month until its approved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 silverberg

Hi, I sent my passport through standard post, I have been tracking it everyday, it was received on 10th March, it is now 19th April and it is still at the "Received on 10/03/2010 and has been registered." stage. I have tried phone calls and emails but no luck. Has anybody any idea how long the wait is by standard post?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Burner- wrote: »
    Glad to here you got your passport but for someone who sent their passport in two months ago by post it is very frustrating to hear:o. I have a flight on Sunday which I might not be able to take anyway because of the volcano...

Came in the post today :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

undo wrote: »
    Normally, you would have to send in your old passport when applying for a new one. But due to the chaos surrounding the industrial action, it is now sufficient to send in just a photo copy. So yes, you can keep your old passport and travel on that. See point 2 here.

This is true. They told him that he can continue to use his existing passport and to hand it in when he collects his new passport. Btw he went in Friday lunchtime and it was ready for collection today. So if anyone is desperate for a passport just go to the office on Molesworth St and explain your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

Burner- wrote: »
    Came in the post today :rolleyes:

Good to hear...hope your flight leaves now!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Frae

Hi all,
    I am in a similar situation to a number of posters. We just got back our daughter's passport application which was received by the passport office on March 23rd but was not processed as the section filled out by the Garda was incomplete.
    We are due to fly on May 6th.does anyone know how bad the queues are now or what the best course of action is?

• Advertisement

hi, just a query, would be grateful if someone could help me out.I have sent in my passport application, it was received on 5th april, now im not planning to travel til late June so im not worried about getting the passport in time, however i am booking though continental airlines, they ask me for my passport number ( which i dont have) i left it blank and continued through to the payment process with no problems. My question is really if i go ahead and purchase these flights will this come back to bite me in the future or is it really ok?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

is there any way of checking the status of your passport application online without a tracking number for example using name, DOB, parents names etc. My daughter didnt keep note of this but needs passport for may 14th?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

Do u need a passport in date for 6 months to fly to USA ? I know this is probably answered somewhere just cant find it . Is there any rules in relation to this . PLEASE HELP !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

GusGus wrote: »
    Do u need a passport in date for 6 months to fly to USA ? I know this is probably answered somewhere just cant find it . Is there any rules in relation to this . PLEASE HELP !!!

"Visitors traveling to the United States are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the United States. Citizens of the countries listed below* are exempt the six-month rule and need only have a passport valid for their intended period of stay. ....."

* Ireland is on the list of exempted countries

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...n_04162008.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Frae wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am in a similar situation to a number of posters. We just got back our daughter's passport application which was received by the passport office on March 23rd but was not processed as the section filled out by the Garda was incomplete.
    We are due to fly on May 6th.does anyone know how bad the queues are now or what the best course of action is?
    I believe the queues are'nt that bad but they are still on the go slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Does anyone know what the current situation with passport applications is?

I applied via passport express on 1st of April, according to their website it should take 15 - 20 days, but still i've heard nothing.

Any know if there's any chance i'll get my passport back soon?

Is there anywhere to get accurate info without taking a day off work, driving to dublin and going to molesworth street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

15-20 working days.

if you applied on the 1st of April, taking into account that Good Friday and Easter Monday weren't working days, today is only the 12th day of your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

15-20 working days.

if you applied on the 1st of April, taking into account that Good Friday and Easter Monday weren't working days, today is only the 12th day of your application.

Why wasn't Good Friday a working day? it's not a public holiday.

But I take your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

is there any way of checking the status of your passport application online without a tracking number for example using name, DOB, parents names etc. My daughter didnt keep note of this but needs passport for may 14th?

send email with name dob and address to passportdublin@dfa.ie

you should get a response

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

hi, just a query, would be grateful if someone could help me out.I have sent in my passport application, it was received on 5th april, now im not planning to travel til late June so im not worried about getting the passport in time, however i am booking though continental airlines, they ask me for my passport number ( which i dont have) i left it blank and continued through to the payment process with no problems. My question is really if i go ahead and purchase these flights will this come back to bite me in the future or is it really ok?

Thanks

Flyyner87, I'd say you'll be grand. I'm basing this on my experience - I'm due to fly out on 31st May and applied for passports for myself and my daughted. It was received on 30th March and for a long time was just marked as registered on the passport tracking system. Then Monday it moved to passport printed and I received them both today. I wouldn't worry if I were you as they do seem to be turning them around 1n 15 to 20 days. Regarding your question - if they allow you to leave that field blank then it's not mandatory and they still accepted payment, that would be my view anyway. However to be safe and sure, an email to Continental Airlines letting them know that you will forward them the passport number when you receive it. Hope this helps - Boobar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement