Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

athtrasna wrote: »
    A friend got hers within half an hour last week in the passport office.

Sounds promising, was it an emergency or regular muppet situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

lostinNaas wrote: »
    Sounds promising, was it an emergency or regular muppet situation?

Unexpected trip work demanded...more the former than the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Hi everyone

My passport is cracked on the page which shows my picture and details. The hard plastic material is cracked near the signature area. It is not noticeable if I push the cracked bits back into place. I travelled to Berlin last year when the passport was in this condition and I had no problems. However I'm just getting worried that I wont be so lucky this time.

I'm looking to book flights to Tenerife on the 25th July.

What would you recommend I do, do you think I could be refused to board the plane because of this?

Regards

LD

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Will be travelling back home next weekend & priority will be to renew my passport which expires before the end of the month.

Having had a look at the recent turnaround times, I spotted this:

"It should be noted that a naturalisation ceremony is scheduled for early July in which 4,000 applicants will become new Irish citizens. It is expected that there will be a sharp and significant increase of passport services as a result of this. This could affect the delivery times for passport services."

Perfect timing for my arrival! Anyone have a handle on how much this is going to slow the process down for standard passport renewals via Passport Express?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

JuanJose wrote: »
    Will be travelling back home next weekend & priority will be to renew my passport which expires before the end of the month.

Having had a look at the recent turnaround times, I spotted this:

"It should be noted that a naturalisation ceremony is scheduled for early July in which 4,000 applicants will become new Irish citizens. It is expected that there will be a sharp and significant increase of passport services as a result of this. This could affect the delivery times for passport services."

Perfect timing for my arrival! Anyone have a handle on how much this is going to slow the process down for standard passport renewals via Passport Express?

Where are you travelling from? Usually, you are expected/required to renew your passport at the nearest overseas consulate. Additional delays can arise if you have previously renewed overseas and now seek a renewal in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Hi everyone

My passport is cracked on the page which shows my picture and details. The hard plastic material is cracked near the signature area. It is not noticeable if I push the cracked bits back into place. I travelled to Berlin last year when the passport was in this condition and I had no problems. However I'm just getting worried that I wont be so lucky this time.

I'm looking to book flights to Tenerife on the 25th July.

What would you recommend I do, do you think I could be refused to board the plane because of this?

Regards

LD

The passport office will most likely tell you that it's your decision whether or not you want to apply for a new passport, and that if you do decide to travel on it, you do so at your own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Marcusm wrote: »
    Where are you travelling from? Usually, you are expected/required to renew your passport at the nearest overseas consulate. Additional delays can arise if you have previously renewed overseas and now seek a renewal in Ireland.

I'm only coming in from Spain & last renewed it in Ireland so that won't be a problem thankfully. I enquired at the local consulate back in April & I was told it could take 4 months vía Madrid which, to be blunt, is shambolic IMO.

Just find it badly organised that they look to have lumped potentially an extra 4,000 passport applications on the passport office at their busiest time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ciarrai91

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting any response from the passport authority. Don't suppose anyone has any suggestions. Was verbally abused when I called the emergency number!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

So I had my passport down last night as I am flying this day week so was going to check in but I didn't do it, possibly thankfully. Overr night the dog has got his teeth on it, ripped off the cover and a bit of the back of the cover, the important page (With photo and all the info) isn't too bad their is a bit of a bite mark on the photo but its not too bad at all very minor damage you wouldn't notice it with your eyes you would feel it though as its a lump.

Anyway Im just wondering what I can do, I think it could be ok but don't want to go to the airport to get told its unusable I was thinking going to the passport office and asking them to check it but you can't get into the passport office anymore I believe.... Any tips? Greatly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Folks heading to Portugal in August. Has anyone used
    Econmycarhire.com or atlas choice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Flying to Faro with Ryanair. Thinking of going up to Dublin Airport later and asking them will it be accepted. I know it probably depends on the person but no harm in asking I would guess? Would prefer to avoid getting a new passport as I only got this in February but I suppose I have no option.

ciarrai91 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm having trouble getting any response from the passport authority. Don't suppose anyone has any suggestions. Was verbally abused when I called the emergency number!

If you let us know what your query is maybe someone on this thread can help.

If you'd rather not discuss on this thread, several people have reported that they have had success in getting through to the call centre if they keep trying, especially at 9am. Or you could drop into the passport office in cork or Dublin and ask the staff at reception. Or if you're really stuck, you could ask your TD to make enquiries on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ciarrai91

It was just in relation to wait times for express passport, my application has been with them for a month and is still down as received and registered. Am due to travel on Sunday so just starting to panic a bit.

I called the Dublin number and got the automated message a few times, got as far as being put on hold and waited for 45 mins and had to give up!

Is it worth calling in to passport office in the morning and seeing if there's anything they can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

ciarrai91 wrote: »
    It was just in relation to wait times for express passport, my application has been with them for a month and is still down as received and registered. Am due to travel on Sunday so just starting to panic a bit.

I called the Dublin number and got the automated message a few times, got as far as being put on hold and waited for 45 mins and had to give up!

Is it worth calling in to passport office in the morning and seeing if there's anything they can do?

What issue by date is the passport tracking webpage giving you?

It may be worth your while calling in to the passport office and explaining your situation to the person at reception, to see if they can give you any more info on your application.

Bring proof of travel as well (print out of flight booking) and ask them if you can arrange collection. The person at reception might send you to Customer Care.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Hi Dovies,

I haven't used either of those. Usually I book with http://www.arguscarhire.com/ or http://www.ebookers.ie/ and they are both very good. They use the main well-know car rental companies.

One piece of advice is to check the fuel policy for each and try to go with one that says Pick up Full & Return Full. Some of them where the policy is to bring it back empty, may charge you a much higher price to pre-pay for the tank of fuel, plus you will never really bring it back completely empty.

Best of luck,
    JT.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 opia1970

Hi,

I am hoping someone maybe able to give me some clarity on an issue I am having.

I hope to fly to Italy on the 17th of July (unplanned holiday) and my passport is expired.

If I was to sent it for renewal tomorrow would there be a good chance I would have it in 16 days.

After checking the passport site the turnover rate atm is 10/13 working days. Can I trust this to be correct?

Thanking you for any help on this.

opia1970 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am hoping someone maybe able to give me some clarity on an issue I am having.

I hope to fly to Italy on the 17th of July (unplanned holiday) and my passport is expired.

If I was to sent it for renewal tomorrow would there be a good chance I would have it in 16 days.

After checking the passport site the turnover rate atm is 10/13 working days. Can I trust this to be correct?

Thanking you for any help on this.

By my reckoning, if you sent your application off tomorrow, the application would only be received by the Passport Service on Thursday, and the 10 working day commitment would start from there. 10 working days from Friday would bring you to the 17th, and adding another 1 day for next day delivery by An Post would bring you up to the 18th.

And that's assuming that they turnaround your application in 10 working days.

If I were in your shoes I'd be making an appointment and paying the extra fee for the assurance of having my passport in hand before I travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Also watch for the excess fees which will need to be paid up front either by cash or as a limit block against your credit card. This will range from €950 to €1500 depending on the class of car been hired. The fee can be avoided but you will have to pay ~€8/per day locally for Full Insurance, but still will not be covered tyre damage, glass, locks or undercarriage damage.

If you have a credit card with a sufficient limit get your excess insurance externally from blue insurance or the likes and apply the excess charge to your card. If you are collecting from the car park outside the terminal building in faro manually check all locks with the key. Note any damage to wheels in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Thanks folks. Have hired a car in Portugal before but wondered about these companies in particular. Charging approx 350 for an automatic when others are charging double that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 james106

Hey guys,

I'm flying out with Ryanair next Tuesday to Spain and I lost my Passport... ridiculously stupid on my part, I know.

I really don't have €150 for a new express passport and I'm just wondering if they would accept an Age Card as a form of I.D.?

Thanks so much!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

james106 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm flying out with Ryanair next Tuesday to Spain and I lost my Passport... ridiculously stupid on my part, I know.

I really don't have €150 for a new express passport and I'm just wondering if they would accept an Age Card as a form of I.D.?

Thanks so much!

:)

Sorry to be so brief, but no. They won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

Give their customer care an email to see what other valid forms they accept. Also, I thought it was €80-85 for passport express? The ten day service?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Sorry to be so brief, but no. They won't.

Thanks for the heads up but I'm so stuck on what to do!

RainBow_xo wrote: »
    Give their customer care an email to see what other valid forms they accept. Also, I thought it was €80-85 for passport express? The ten day service?

I'm leaving in a week so I'd need it within 5 days and that's €150 :(

RainBow_xo wrote: »

As far as I'm aware, a passport is the only form of ID they'll accept. They'll also take national identity cards, but we don't have them. So passport or nothing.

A passport in the usual 10 days (unless it takes longer, which it can) is 85 or something like that. If you want it quicker, the price goes up. Can't remember the exact figures, but you pay for speed, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

OP can't you go to the passport office and get it done on the spot? As in tomorrow or whatever?

From the Ryanair website FAQs

THE ONLY FORMS OF TRAVEL DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED ON RYANAIR FLIGHTS ARE:
    • A valid passport
    • A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. (Only the following EEA countries currentlyissue National Identity Cards acceptable for carriage on Ryanair flights: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France*, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden (not accepted on non Schengen flights), Switzerland. *The validity of French National ID cards (issued for adults) has been extended from 10 years to 15 years ONLY for cards issued between 2nd January 2004 and 31st December 2013.
    • A valid German Government issued ‘Kinderausweis’ travel document
    • A valid Greek National Police identity card
    • A valid Spanish Family Book (for use by children under 14 years travelling with their parents/legal guardians on Spanish domestic flights only)
    • A valid Italian ‘Certificato Di Nascita’ with photo (for use by children under 16 years) which has been endorsed as ‘VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO’ for travel on international flights, no endorsement is required when travelling on Italian domestic flights.. It is the passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that this document meets the requirements of immigration and other governmental authorities at the destination airport.
    • A valid Italian AT/BT card (for Italian domestic flights only).
    • A valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, by a Government in place of a valid passport.)
    • A valid Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 27 of the 1954 UN Convention for Stateless Persons, by a contracting state in place of a valid passport)
    • A valid Collective Passport issued by an EU/EEA country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

The only form of Id accepted for Irish nationals on Ryanair is a passport

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/terms-and-conditions/regulations-traveldocumentation/

The passport office offers an appointment service for those travelling in the next 3-10 days

https://www.passportappointments.ie/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement