Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gerinspain

Ok thanks, I have divorce papers.

How long does it take to get a new passport if I apply in the Passport Office in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Gerinspain wrote: »
    Ok thanks, I have divorce papers.

How long does it take to get a new passport if I apply in the Passport Office in Dublin?

You have to use passport express, at the moment turnaround is 12-15 working days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Gerinspain wrote: »
    I'll be doing a lot of travelling later this year and my Passport expires in December. I want to go back to my Maiden Name when I renew and was thinking about applying for an Emergency passport while I have time in between trips - don't want to get left without a Passport. Does anyone here know if it's even possible to do a name change when using the emergency passport option?

TIA :)

As your existing passport has less than 6 months validity, you can keep it and submit a photocopy of it in support of your application; I did this last December and was informed that it was standard practice. I have no experience of the name change issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Is it possible to get an observation removed from a passport? Mine has one stating my birth name and I would like it removed as it causes more hassle than it is worth. Is there a way to remove it or am I saddled with it for ever?

Yep, just put an x in the No box when asked about the observation. I think it's the second question on the form. If you mark the the no box the observation won't be re-added to your passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Do they scan your passport at Dublin Airport?

Departure, I am flying Ryanair to Portugal Tuesday and was just wondering.

Ah ok, I said it earlier but their is a bit of a lump or 2 on that page, it shouldn't be a problem really but was just wondering. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Going through T1 in the airport you will have to scan it going through the self scan to get to departures?

Sorry, brainfart moment!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭imonboard

I was hoping to travel to the US or Canada from 16th to 20th. My passport expires on the 20th, can i fly home on the 20th from either country or is there some restrictions?

Ya i read somewhere that i can fly on the 20th irish time(date).

How quick do they process them in the office now if i was to call into Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lisatom

my son is due to fly out in 3 days, to cut a long story short we were given false info when applying for his passport through express & told we wouldnt get it on time (we now know would have gotten it) we were told to go into the passport office & he would get it as an emergency, went in explained his situation & that this would be his first adult passport & he was given an appointment for the following week told to bring all his documents proof of travel mothers passport as he was on that all along & even told how much extra it would cost so basically another week went by believing he was getting his passport but on the morning of his appointment he was told he would NOT be issued an emergency passport as its his first adult passport. we made that very clear when booking the appointment. in desperation he sent it of through express while i begged & pleaded through emails to passport office for someone to help us, this holiday was a suprise 18th birthday present & over 30 people are going, the only reason my son was told about it was that he needed a passport, now 30 something ppl are flying out to celebrate his birthday while he has to stay at home. when tracking his passport it says issue date 17th july, i asked if thats the date he will have the passport as i could try salvage the last 2 days & get him a flight out but they cant even tell me that, the deciding officer also says there is nothing he can do as they are so busy............. i am desperate at this stage, does anyone reading this work in the passport office, know someone working there or have any suggestions for us, time really isn't on our side. Thanks in Advance

lisatom wrote: »
    my son is due to fly out in 3 days, to cut a long story short we were given false info when applying for his passport through express & told we wouldnt get it on time (we now know would have gotten it) we were told to go into the passport office & he would get it as an emergency, went in explained his situation & that this would be his first adult passport & he was given an appointment for the following week told to bring all his documents proof of travel mothers passport as he was on that all along & even told how much extra it would cost so basically another week went by believing he was getting his passport but on the morning of his appointment he was told he would NOT be issued an emergency passport as its his first adult passport. we made that very clear when booking the appointment. in desperation he sent it of through express while i begged & pleaded through emails to passport office for someone to help us, this holiday was a suprise 18th birthday present & over 30 people are going, the only reason my son was told about it was that he needed a passport, now 30 something ppl are flying out to celebrate his birthday while he has to stay at home. when tracking his passport it says issue date 17th july, i asked if thats the date he will have the passport as i could try salvage the last 2 days & get him a flight out but they cant even tell me that, the deciding officer also says there is nothing he can do as they are so busy............. i am desperate at this stage, does anyone reading this work in the passport office, know someone working there or have any suggestions for us, time really isn't on our side. Thanks in Advance

Emergency passports are really only given out in life or death situations. The passport office wouldn't really issue one so someone could go on holidays. Did they not take the application in at the public counter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 lisatom

Emergency passports are really onkygiven out in life or death situations. The passport office wouldn't really issue one so someone could go on holidays. Did they not take the application in at the public counter?

hi thanks for reply, no he was told he would be waiting 6 weeks for a passport so sent it through express with a note in the hope he might get it on time or even waiting the 15 days would mean he could book another flight and get the last 3 days out of the holiday but they cant even tell me if he will have it on the 17th or that that's the date it get's sent out

hi thanks for reply, no he was told he would be waiting 6 weeks for a passport so sent it through express with a note in the hope he might get it on time or even waiting the 15 days would mean he could book another flight and get the last 3 days out of the holiday but they cant even tell me if he will have it on the 17th or that that's the date it get's sent out

If he was on your passport previously he'll be treated as a first time applicant. That's 20 working days, a month really. You can throw on top of that any delays being experienced by the passport office. There isn't really much flexibility when it come to first time applicants. Sorry, it not what you want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

How about giving the long version? Only then will people be able to state whether the information given was false or not.

Either way, sadly he likely has no chance of getting the passport in time.

Has your son already turned 18?

If you gave the full story people might be able to give more assistance because I find it strange anyone would be told 6 weeks.

There is also no 'emergency passports'

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Aquagakka

AGC wrote: »
    Has your son already turned 18?

If you gave the full story people might be able to give more assistance because I find it strange anyone would be told 6 weeks.

There is also no 'emergency passports'

I got a one year passport for my daughter 2 weeks ago.
    It says on it,

"Passport of Limited Validity
    issued for urgent travel purposes."

Is this the one that people call an "Emergency Passport"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

The standard way of applying for a passport is through Passport Express. The name can be confusing, in that it's not really all that express and there's also no alternative non-express now any more as far as I know.

The time it takes is unlikely to be 6 weeks, unless there were problems with your application or submitted documents, but there's no way of knowing that until they get back to you to tell you so.
    A first time application doesn't take that much longer than an renewal, unless that's changed recently (?). It's naturally going to take longer during peak season in summer for any application, but so far pretty much everyone that's got passports in the last couple of months has reported back on this thread as taking less than 15 working days (unless there were issues).
    If you read the application form carefully or the dfa website, all that's stated there. I don't know who could've told you anything to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Miss Informed

My passport is 3 years out of date and I want to fly to Portgual on Saturday.... Any idea if they'd see me if I arrived over at the passport office in Dublin tomorrow?!

Online appointment system says the soonest appointment is next Monday.

My passport is 3 years out of date and I want to fly to Portgual on Saturday.... Any idea if they'd see me if I arrived over at the passport office in Dublin tomorrow?!

Online appointment system says the soonest appointment is next Monday.

All the appointments are booked out in Dublin. If you show up without an appointment they'll turn you away. You coins maybe try the rapid renewal service, they do offer that in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 bpbraz

Hello,

I sent away my passport express envelope on the 30th of June, I am travelling on the 17th of July.
    I lost my previous passport 4 years ago, reported it stolen. I included everything that was a requirement however I have lost my tracking number and cannot get through to them via telephone as i keep getting the automated message.

Be realistic with me guys, am i likely to receive my passport before Im to travel?

I left a note explaining to them my dates of travel and asked if they would call my mobile once the passport is ready and i will come collect.

thoughts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement