Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

lion_bar wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the current situation with passport applications is?

I applied via passport express on 1st of April, according to their website it should take 15 - 20 days, but still i've heard nothing.

Any know if there's any chance i'll get my passport back soon?

Is there anywhere to get accurate info without taking a day off work, driving to dublin and going to molesworth street?

Lion_Bar - I'm due to fly out on 31st May and applied for passports for myself and my daughter. It was received on 30th March and for a long time was just marked as registered on the passport tracking system. Then Monday it moved to passport printed and I received them both today. I wouldn't worry if I were you as they do seem to be turning them around 1n 15 to 20 days. Hope this helps - Boobar

boobar wrote: »
    Flyyner87, I'd say you'll be grand. I'm basing this on my experience - I'm due to fly out on 31st May and applied for passports for myself and my daughted. It was received on 30th March and for a long time was just marked as registered on the passport tracking system. Then Monday it moved to passport printed and I received them both today. I wouldn't worry if I were you as they do seem to be turning them around 1n 15 to 20 days. Regarding your question - if they allow you to leave that field blank then it's not mandatory and they still accepted payment, that would be my view anyway. However to be safe and sure, an email to Continental Airlines letting them know that you will forward them the passport number when you receive it. Hope this helps - Boobar

yep you were exactly right, i actually dont know why i posted here first instead of ringing continental directly, they just said its optional, brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

yep you were exactly right, i actually dont know why i posted here first instead of ringing continental directly, they just said its optional, brilliant

Good to hear things worked out for you Flynner87:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mammamia08

boobar wrote: »
    It was received on 30th March and for a long time was just marked as registered on the passport tracking system. Then Monday it moved to passport printed and I received them both today. I wouldn't worry if I were you as they do seem to be turning them around 1n 15 to 20 days.

Thats great to know as i mine was registered on the 31st of March so fingers crossed for next week :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Anna_Banana

mammamia08 wrote: »
    Thats great to know as i mine was registered on the 31st of March so fingers crossed for next week :o

Mine came in the post today!

I’d say you’ll have it next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭islander35

Does anyone know what the situation is like in the passport offices at the moment? Due to travel next Sat (1st of May) booked yesterday but passport is out of date tomorrow! Does anyone know what my chances are going to be of getting a passport if I go in and queue? Or is it hopeless at this stage? Also does anyone know if the Cork or Dublin office would be more likely to process it quickly? Any help much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

Would also like an answer to this, cant find my passport and i am due to fly out on the 25th any idea what the situation is like now and can i go queue up to get it still?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

Dannyboi3k wrote: »
    Would also like an answer to this, cant find my passport and i am due to fly out on the 25th any idea what the situation is like now and can i go queue up to get it still?
    and
    islander35

Quick go to Cork office on monday,with your booking
    and much prayer.
    try......

Can i go to cork tho? or do i have to go to dublin, im from wexford..

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

Can i go to cork tho? or do i have to go to dublin, im from wexford..

Yes they seem to be quick.
    also plead that dublin is hectic.
    try

• Advertisement

yeah but i heard because im in leinster i have to go to dublin? is this true? id rather go to cork but dont want to waste a whole day if its of no use, need it by may the 20th feelin the pressure now

Anyone? I tried ringing the passport office in Dublin and get an automated message that they are too busy and the Cork number is just coming up as busy..
    I have pictures here and the form filled out for a new one is it worth travelling up to Dublin or should I risk sending it off with Passport express I don't have 20 working days before I fly tho what should I do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

You wont have it by 20th May if you go the Dublin route. If you know anyone in Cork/Munster then why not send it by post to that office and the Cork/Munster address.

Can you get them to send it to another address other than the one that will be on the passport? I heard if I send it to Cork, they will just send it to Dublin and then eventually back to me?

Brickin it here now

Right I'm headin to Dublin tomorrow I'm gonna try get the urgent passport which is an extra fee do you think they will help me as I dont have 20 working days to wait.. I have my airline ticket here to say the date I'm flying out and have my birthcert and everything I need

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

€80 I think they charge for emergency. Afaik they said their only doing emergency passports in an immediate family member is ill [dying, funerals etc]. But at this stage its worth a blast. I sent mine in on 16/4, it was registered 19/4 and I'm flying 20/5 [a bitch because my old PP is out of date on 19/5 and I could have travelled on it]. It was registered 19/4 and I've been in contact with the PPO who have advised me the turnaround time is 20 wroking days. Which gives me a day to spare all going well. :eek:

Yeah thats what they said to me, 20 days and working days at that and even at that I would be 2 days too late :( so it's worth a blast now at this stage I have my documents so hopefully I'll get sorted does anyone know if there is still crazy queues outside the PPO?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Yeah thats what they said to me, 20 days and working days at that and even at that I would be 2 days too late :( so it's worth a blast now at this stage I have my documents so hopefully I'll get sorted does anyone know if there is still crazy queues outside the PPO?
    It's not worth a blast. It's a complete waste of time. Have you not read any of the posts on this thread? Even reading one page worth would inform you that going there is futile. Try the Cork route. People on this thread have posted their success in doing that. As an example:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65293194&postcount=322
    I'm surprised that someone in your situation has not even search Cork on this thread to tyr to inform themselves of where they stand. It's remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭islander35

finally got onto the Cork office. Said to call in first thing tomorrow with all my things and proof of travel and I'll have my passport Friday! fingers crossed!

It's not worth a blast. It's a complete waste of time. Have you not read any of the posts on this thread? Even reading one page worth would inform you that going there is futile. Try the Cork route. People on this thread have posted their success in doing that. As an example:
    I'm surprised that someone in your situation has not even search Cork on this thread to tyr to inform themselves of where they stand. It's remarkable.

Because, I was told that if I am not from Munster, I cannot apply in Cork and this was by the Cork Passport Office themselves..

I am confused as to what to do now. Should I head to Cork with my travel documents, I.D and pictures and everything and just hope for the best then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

As opposed to what; doing nothing? It's worth a shot. :rolleyes:

Try Dublin PPO
    Try Cork PPO

You can't do anymore than that.

cson wrote: »
    As opposed to what; doing nothing? It's worth a shot. :rolleyes:

Try Dublin PPO
    Try Cork PPO

You can't do anymore than that.

My thoughts exactly dude..
    Cork tomorrow and if thats no good, its Dublin on Wednesday..

Wish me luck I'll keep ya's posted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

yeah but i heard because im in leinster i have to go to dublin? is this true? id rather go to cork but dont want to waste a whole day if its of no use, need it by may the 20th feelin the pressure now

im from carlow but live in limerick, cork turned a lost passport around for me in two days. they can issue emergency passports on 24 hr notice, these are good for 11 months.

when i was there they said they were taking 15 working days to process standard apps. One word of advice, BE POLITE! go in and stamp your feet and see how far you get, i found them very helpful and the bloke i was dealing with very polite.

Also when i rang they said there was no distinction between the catchment areas of the two offices, each office just deals with what is put in front of them. besides if there was then where would connaught people go.

Id like to know how many applications are fluffed up by the gardai. i had one that was only stamped once then the following application was being handed back to me without being stamped at all. And whne i was in the office a couple ahed of me had something wrong with theirs that was garda related as well.

oh yeah if your going to cork be sure and put a disc on your car and keep an eye on the clock, wardens ticketing like its cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pea Pod

I've my daughter's passport application in since the 16th of March via standard application. I just spoke to someone down in Cork who informed me that their current turn around for standard applications is 10 weeks (!) and that it is longer in Dublin - which is where my girl's passport now sits. I'll post in the unlikely event that if we get it back next three weeks, which is when we are due to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

My thoughts exactly dude..
    Cork tomorrow and if thats no good, its Dublin on Wednesday..

Wish me luck I'll keep ya's posted :D

My brothers passport application was received and registered on March 30th via Passport Express.

He is due to travel on Monday the 3rd of May to France with his school for a school exchange.

His status online has been on received and registered since day one. Today is the 18th working day.

He travelled to the PPO in Dublin today with copies of his old passport, copies of his birth cert, travel details from his school and a copy of the receipt from the passport express.

He only waited 10 mins until he was seen at a counter. The lady was very pleasant and told him that his application was being processed and is currently out in Balbriggan (sp?) where it is being printed and that it will be put in the post as soon as it is printed and that it should arrive on Thursday (day 20).

She also said that if it doesn't arrive on Thursday to travel straight back up to the PPO on Friday and they would sort something out for him so that he could travel on Monday.

Positive result! :D

Pea Pod wrote: »
    I've my daughter's passport application in since the 16th of March via standard application. I just spoke to someone down in Cork who informed me that their current turn around for standard applications is 10 weeks (!) and that it is longer in Dublin - which is where my girl's passport now sits. I'll post in the unlikely event that if we get it back next three weeks, which is when we are due to travel.

ring them and ask them will you be eligible for an emergency passport. I don think the queues are as badt as they have been, i was waiting for 45 min to get to a counter which in the circumstances is pretty reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Article in todays Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0427/breaking38.html

Almost 70,000 passports in backlog

Approximately 4,100 people are applying for a new passport on a daily basis, the Department of Foreign Affairs has confirmed.

Almost 70,000 passport applications are now in the backlog, an increase of nearly 20,000 since the end of March.

The passport office in Dublin is processing 3,600 passports a day, but this is still a shortfall of 500 on the numbers received.

Some 69,400 passport applications are currently in the backlog, accounting for a tenth of applications received annually.

The Passport Office processes 650,000 applications every year according to the Civil, Public and Service Union.

The Department said the average processing time was now taking 15 to 20 working days, but warned it was no longer possible to guarantee a turnaround time for the processing of passport applications.

The spokeswoman advised holidaymakers to check expiry dates before making plans and to submit applications in sufficient time before the intended date of travel.

“The public counters and out of hours services should only be used by those who have a necessity to travel for reasons of family emergency i.e. travel is necessitated by the death, illness or welfare of a family member,” she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭smur89

Have sent in my stuff on the 7th March. Heard back on sunday just gone that its been rejected due to not including my bank details, my old passport and not signing the back of my photos.

They told me this through email.

Got a letter today advising that the photos were rejected for being out of focus (which they are not)

All details were perfect when i sent it off. I think theyve lost my stuff.
    Ive sent a strongly worded email to them about this, as theyve lost my passport and now i need to pay for a new birth cert and apply again! I now need a passport in a hurry, and have to take extra time off work to go and get a copy of my birth cert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pea Pod

After various emails & voice messages to the passport offices & department of foreign affairs, my daughter's passport suddenly went from 'received' last night to 'printed' this morning! I don't know if it was my efforts or just dumb luck, but at least it looks like we're not going to be loosing out on non-refundable flights and accomodation. I would suggest to anyone in dire straights and who, like me would have to travel accross the country with children in tow to try to get an emergency passport, to contact the DFA via email first. I did so last night via their web site and got a response straight away looking to help us out. Good luck everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement