Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

You sign the newpassports when they arrive in the post....

This is correct. Ever since October last year, Irish passports have a new design and your signature is not etched on to the datapage. There is a space provided on page 3 of the passport book that you have to sign yourself after you collect your passport or receive it in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Thanks for that! I better check my passport so. I was convinced the signature was part of the application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Gatica wrote: »
    Thanks for that! I better check my passport so. I was convinced the signature was part of the application form.

Yes, you still sign the application form as it's a legal declaration. However, it used to be the case that the signature you provided in section 8 was scanned in and etched on to the passport.

Since October last year, any passports issued don't have the signature etched on to them, but you still need to sign the form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭emmacxxx

Can someone help me! I sent off my passport application about two weeks ago and I just got my application sent back because it could not be processed! I have an appointment with the passport office on Tuesday and I will have to pay for the emergency passport service (3-5 working days). I have already paid €80 to the passport office for my error application, for the 3-5 working days service it costs €150 so basically my question is, will I have to pay the full €150 or will I get €80 deducted from the price I have already paid? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.
    Thank You! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Ok, my passport expires in about 5 months, so this morning I went online to look into how to renew. Thing is, I'm not in any rush, 5 months seems like a lot of time and I've got no travel planned after this month until next year.

However, there seems to be only 2 options for renewing, use Passport Express or turn up in person at a passport office (apparently only for people travelling in <3 weeks). So it's Passport Express for me, but everything points at this being a 'fast' service too, costing extra and requiring me to present myself in person at the local Post Office.

So is there really no process for getting a passport renewed "anytime within the next few months" that's not going to cost me more than the e80 it's already costing me? If I get everything together, can I just post it to South Mall in Cork and they'll take care of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

corblimey wrote: »
    Ok, my passport expires in about 5 months, so this morning I went online to look into how to renew. Thing is, I'm not in any rush, 5 months seems like a lot of time and I've got no travel planned after this month until next year.

However, there seems to be only 2 options for renewing, use Passport Express or turn up in person at a passport office (apparently only for people travelling in <3 weeks). So it's Passport Express for me, but everything points at this being a 'fast' service too, costing extra and requiring me to present myself in person at the local Post Office.

So is there really no process for getting a passport renewed "anytime within the next few months" that's not going to cost me more than the e80 it's already costing me? If I get everything together, can I just post it to South Mall in Cork and they'll take care of it?

No. The rules changed earlier this year. Those are your only options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Passport Office received my application for replacement passport on 03/07.

Issue date on website stated 16/07. No sign of it yet and it just says on the website that my application has been registered.

Really starting to panic now as I'm due to fly out this Friday evening.

Been trying to ring all day but I'm just getting the automated message stating that they cannot take my call due to high number of calls that they are receiving.

:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just an update on passport times currently; submitted a renewal application on July first via passport express. It was due on 15th and online status never changed. Emailed the passport office in Dublin on the 16th and got a response back a few hours later to say it was being processed for posting the next day. It then arrived on the 18th as promised.

So 2.5 weeks waiting time currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 unknown1990

My passport has been being "checked" since Saturday lunch time. My question is if there's a problem with the passport application will the status remain as it being checked? Does anyone know how long it remains on the being checked stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Passport Office received my application for replacement passport on 03/07.

Issue date on website stated 16/07. No sign of it yet and it just says on the website that my application has been registered.

Really starting to panic now as I'm due to fly out this Friday evening.

Been trying to ring all day but I'm just getting the automated message stating that they cannot take my call due to high number of calls that they are receiving.

:(

Status has finally changed from 'Registered' to 'Approved'.

Did someone say on here earlier that the approved, printed and post stages usually take place on the same day? Here is hoping, as I'm due to fly out this Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Passport Office have a twitter account if anyone interested, worth a shot if phones and emails not working for you - @passportIRL. They will answer application questions, helpful. Other half just received her first passport - registered 1st July - received in the post - Friday last, the 18th. Approx 13 working days give or take a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭welchy

holidays tomorow .. NO PASSPORT, the place has been torn apart. I have an appointment for tomorrow in Dublin and have re booked for Wednesday flight . What are the chances of getting my passport reissued tomorrow to make the new flight ? This is awful ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

welchy wrote: »
    holidays tomorow .. NO PASSPORT, the place has been torn apart. I have an appointment for tomorrow in Dublin and have re booked for Wednesday flight . What are the chances of getting my passport reissued tomorrow to make the new flight ? This is awful ...

Did you not check you had it before now?

They say same day passports aren't available unless you're travelling for a funeral etc...however you could get a sympathetic staffer.

When I track my passport application online it says issue date is the 31st of July. I am going away on the 6th of August. Does the issue date mean that's when they will send it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bluesky14

I used passport express to submit my passport application on 3rd of July just after my ceremony. It was received on 07/07 and status showing as registered. It has been 12 working days; and the status has not changed. Is this normal?

I have a trip to the US in the beginning of Aug. It seems i need to register 72hours before the trip. I will have problems if I cannot receive it this week. Anyone has seen the same issue? What is current turnaround time?

Thanks

bluesky14 wrote: »
    I used passport express to submit my passport application on 3rd of July just after my ceremony. It was received on 07/07 and status showing as registered. It has been 12 working days; and the status has not changed. Is this normal?

I have a trip to the US in the beginning of Aug. It seems i need to register 72hours before the trip. I will have problems if I cannot receive it this week. Anyone has seen the same issue? What is current turnaround time?

Thanks

They do say first passport takes approximately six weeks

athtrasna wrote: »
    They do say first passport takes approximately six weeks

Are you sure? I did not read or hear any info like this. If this is the case, this should definitely be mentioned somewhere, no? I start to be panic now. Am I the only new irish (through naturalization) expecting my passport soon? Anyone else is the same as me? Can you share the experience?

Are you sure? I did not read or hear any info like this. If this is the case, this should definitely be mentioned somewhere, no? I start to be panic now. Am I the only new irish (through naturalization) expecting my passport soon? Anyone else is the same as me? Can you share the experience?

Dfa website says 20 working days but read back a few pages, I'm sure someone posted six weeks for a first passport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Was going through US Preclearance in Dublin Airport there last week, the officer said that I can get my current passport cancelled at a Garda station (as I have a new one, but carry both as I have a 5+10 year US visa in the old one). Anyone know if there's any truth to this/has done it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

If you have a new passport the old one should have cancel stamped in it by passport office. You can carry an old/cancelled/expired passport with you to show proof of previous travel to a country and also if it contains a still valid visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Thanks

It's 20 working days for a first time applicant, a month really. That's if all your paper work is in order.

It doesn't matter if you were born here or naturalized. It's 20 days minimum for all first time applicants. The passport office has to be satisfied that you are who you say you are. In cases where there's naturalization it might take a little bit longer, verifying the authenticity of documents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chibihito

Thanks

I'm in exactly the same situation, applied on the 4th after the ceremony and the status has not changed since.

I've been in contact with the passport office yesterday and I was told that first time applicants wait up to 15 days. I'm collecting my passport on Friday from the office, so you have plenty of time.

Status has finally changed from 'Registered' to 'Approved'.

Did someone say on here earlier that the approved, printed and post stages usually take place on the same day? Here is hoping, as I'm due to fly out this Friday.

Not if it's being dealt with in Cork. If you are in Limericks your application would have come to Cork. 1 pm is the cut off time in Cork to have the passport in the office the next day. Eg if I approved your passport at 11 am today, it would be in Cork on Thursday morning and go out in the post on Thursday evening. You would get it Friday morning.

chibihito wrote: »
    I'm in exactly the same situation, applied on the 4th after the ceremony and the status has not changed since.

I've been in contact with the passport office yesterday and I was told that first time applicants wait up to 15 days. I'm collecting my passport on Friday from the office, so you have plenty of time.

Thanks for the info. That sounds positive! :-) Did you give them a call or you wrote them an email? Can you just decide you would like to collect your passport from the office?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chibihito

Thanks for the info. That sounds positive! :-) Did you give them a call or you wrote them an email? Can you just decide you would like to collect your passport from the office?

I emailed. They said it should be ready for Friday and as I'm flying on Sunday, I don't really have the time to wait for it to be posted back to me so they said I could come in to the Dublin office and collect it in person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

niceoneted wrote: »
    If you have a new passport the old one should have cancel stamped in it by passport office. You can carry an old/cancelled/expired passport with you to show proof of previous travel to a country and also if it contains a still valid visa.

The old one is still valid, and I needed it back from the passport office when my new one was being processed so they're both still valid really. I only ever carry one with me except for clearing customs for the US in Dublin Airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 russorla

Hi, I am waiting for passports for my parents-in-law (Their first passports)
    we posted them with An Post express on Friday 12th July, their status has remained at the first stage since last Monday. It says their issue date is the 25th...does this mean the day they will be sent to us??
    we are travelling next Thursday 31st...giving a total of13 working days...Please tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel???
    I have tried numerous times ringing the office and we are just not getting through, tried emailing and they did not respond, I would be willing to travel to Dublin to collect the passports if I thought that would help!!!
    Please can someone share something with me!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement