Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

briany wrote: »
    I would get all the required documentation (filled out form, birth cert, 4 identical passport-sized photos, 2 of them signed AND stamped by the same guard witnessing the application form, plus additional form of photo ID such as driver's licence, student ID, documents showing a record of your name and address) that a first-time applicant would need. Not necessarily because you'll need it all but to prove to the passport office that you are who you say you are. Ideally, you should be able to quote them your passport number as well so they can look it up. I would have to assume they keep records of pictures and all that, so if you tell them your number and present them with that information, they should be able to advise since your passport application is in a bit of a limbo.

No need to do all this if you already have a live application in the system. I would just bring a printout of proof of travel to the appointment and ask them to issue the passport in time for your visa application (provided everything is in order with the application you've already lodged).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hi,
    I've a question I'm wondering someone could help me with.
    I want to get a passport, currently 17, my real father isn't in the picture and hasn't been for about 11 years.
    From looking online it says that along with the usual stuff it says I also need to get a soul parent/guardian form filled in by my mother at the local court house and then send that away with everyone else.
    Does that sound about right to anyone? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Hi,
    I've a question I'm wondering someone could help me with.
    I want to get a passport, currently 17, my real father isn't in the picture and hasn't been for about 11 years.
    From looking online it says that along with the usual stuff it says I also need to get a soul parent/guardian form filled in by my mother at the local court house and then send that away with everyone else.
    Does that sound about right to anyone? Thanks.

If your parents were married when you were born then your mother has to go to the district court and get a court order to dispense with his consent. If your parents were not married then your mother has to get a sole legal guardian affidavit and complete it with a solicitor or commissioner for oaths.

If your parents were married when you were born then your mother has to go to the district court and get a court order to dispense with his consent. If your parents were not married then your mother has to get a sole legal guardian affidavit and complete it with a solicitor or commissioner for oaths.

They were married, divorced about 6 years though.

He isn't in the country so getting his consent wouldn't be possible.

They were married, divorced about 6 years though.

He isn't in the country so getting his consent wouldn't be possible.

You'd need a court order so because he is a legal guardian. Are you travelling soon? If you're not just apply when you turn 18. You won't need any court order once you're 18 or over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

Anyone know if a bank statement/meteor bill, printed from online will do as proof of address? proof of name? Just Realised all my bills are done online now. Travelling Friday 29th at 1pm and just realised I have lost my passport. Have appointment Monday afternoon in passport office. hope I get sorted in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

nookie wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering could someone confirm my fears - am supposed to fly out tomorrow evening, was checking in online today and discovered that my passport has just gone out of date. Have an appointment in the passport office first thing tomorrow morning. I guess there is no chance that I'll be able to get a passport issued to me in time for my flight?

Unlikely, where are you flying to? If it's the UK and you're not flying with Ryanair then you don't require a passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

You'd need a court order so because he is a legal guardian. Are you travelling soon? If you're not just apply when you turn 18. You won't need any court order once you're 18 or over.

Oh no...

Are those hard to get? Are they expensive?

Would much prefer to have it before I'm 18 though.

Thank you for your help.

• Advertisement

MrSzyslak wrote: »
    Anyone know if a bank statement/meteor bill, printed from online will do as proof of address? proof of name? Just Realised all my bills are done online now. Travelling Friday 29th at 1pm and just realised I have lost my passport. Have appointment Monday afternoon in passport office. hope I get sorted in time.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Anyone?

Could you not just call into your bank and ask for your latest bank statement, printed from them directly?
    It will be a 'proper' formal document then and would be better than any printout you print yourself from/about your account.

Hope that helps,
    kerry4sam

Oh no...

Are those hard to get? Are they expensive?

Would much prefer to have it before I'm 18 though.

Thank you for your help.

To be honest I don't know too much about getting one r the costs involved. It'll be much less hassle for you if you wait until you're 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Most of my online bills can be saved as a PDF. They'd be fine for proof of address as they look exactly the same as a bill sent by post when you print them.

In my experience calling into a bank branch will get you a printout that bears no resemblance to a proper bank statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

agreed, but you can also ask your bank to stamp a statement for you if you want, whether they've printed it or you printed it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Gatica wrote: »
    agreed, but you can also ask your bank to stamp a statement for you if you want, whether they've printed it or you printed it online.

Didn't realise the statement needed to be stamped by the bank.

I'm not saying they do, I don't know if they accept self-printed statements. I'm saying if you're in doubt and you haven't asked the passport office about it, you can always get them stamped and I doubt the bank would be charging for that either.

I know I've had to provide postal proof of address rather than downloaded versions for something in the past, can't remember what it was for, maybe new phone, but it was not for the passport office. Whereas other places requiring proof of address were ok with statements or bills I'd printed, again not the passport office. It's just an example that it can happen one way or the other depending on the organisation and even possibly the person you're dealing with.
    For the passport application I had the letters needed without needing to download them, so this issue didn't come up for me. Sorry for the wordiness....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭briany

Gatica wrote: »
    I'm not saying they do, I don't know if they accept self-printed statements. I'm saying if you're in doubt and you haven't asked the passport office about it, you can always get them stamped and I doubt the bank would be charging for that either.

I know I've had to provide postal proof of address rather than downloaded versions for something in the past, can't remember what it was for, maybe new phone, but it was not for the passport office. Whereas other places requiring proof of address were ok with statements or bills I'd printed, again not the passport office. It's just an example that it can happen one way or the other depending on the organisation and even possibly the person you're dealing with.
    For the passport application I had the letters needed without needing to download them, so this issue didn't come up for me. Sorry for the wordiness....

My passport went through a few days ago and I didn't have any of the proof-of-name/address documents stamped. Some of it could have been a print off although none of it was. If the passport office would prefer to have proof of name/address documents stamped, they should make that clearer in their required documentation section.

Honestly, they make it hard enough for people to prove they are who they say they are. I know there's fraudsters about but the tightening of passport laws affects law abiding people a lot worse, as usual. Applications need a major reform IMO.

It's becoming more common in Europe to apply for passports in person where fingerprinting is done as part of the process...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭briany

It seems like it would be a good way of cutting out the mucky muck, like if everyone had their fingerprint taken at a certain age and then all you would have to do to get a passport is show up at said regional office with fingers in tow, have a photo machine there and blam - passport on the spot. I suppose though you'd still have to prove your name and all though since that could've been changed in the meantime.

Oh yeah, thought I'd mention, just got the passport today. Delighted. Hard time getting the thing though, but it's done. Serious weight off my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Lexxie

Hi just see ye on about booking hols through UK want to book one i've seen through Thomson, but worried it won't take my card, did anyone find it worked?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shmalentine

Sorry if this is a silly question or has already been answered but if the passport office received a lost passport (by the gaurds), do they call the owner of that passport and let them know its been recovered. I know its cancelled immediately but do they at least let anyone know?

Just an update was in passport office today print offs of online statements do the trick.

Sorry if this is a silly question or has already been answered but if the passport office received a lost passport (by the gaurds), do they call the owner of that passport and let them know its been recovered. I know its cancelled immediately but do they at least let anyone know?

No, they would update their records to indicate that the passport has been lost. Once it's marked as lost, the passport number is sent to Interpol. You would not be able to travel on a lost passport again.

They wouldn't call you in such an instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

My passport expires 21 January 2015,

Will this be ok to travel sepetember for two weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

faolteam wrote: »

Yes, there is no mythical 6 month validity required after arrival for EU member states.

From the website of the Spanish Embassy in Dublin:
    To hold a valid travel document that grants the holder the right to cross the border and which complies with the following requirements: it must remain valid for at least three months after the date of leaving the territory of member states and it must having been issued during the previous ten years.

Source: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas/DUBLIN/en/InformacionParaExtranjeros/Pages/RequisitosDeEntrada.aspx

So you should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

fxotoole wrote: »
    From the website of the Spanish Embassy in Dublin:

Source: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas/DUBLIN/en/InformacionParaExtranjeros/Pages/RequisitosDeEntrada.aspx

So you should be OK.

The next paragraph on that page says...

"Citizens from any State of the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein only need a valid national identity document or passport."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just for the love of God, PLEASE start the renewal process as soon as you get back to avoid contributing further to this thread down the line :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement