Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭theonlygirl

Hi Guys

Urgent advice needed! I am due to fly out on May 28th and last night my dog managed to chew a hole in my passport when I was out of the room! The whole corner is gone off it and i'm positive they would not let me travel on it. What should I do now? Passport Express or queue??

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

queue with passport,booking in cork or dub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rod flanders

Does anyone know the current turnaround time for a passport express application or if anybody received their passport through passport express, How long did it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Does anyone know the current turnaround time for a passport express application or if anybody received their passport through passport express, How long did it take?

20 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I applied for my passport through passport express on Saturday 27th March.
    It was registered on Wednesday March 31st
    It is still marked as registered 19 working days later :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Frae

Hi all,
    Just a quick update.My daughter's passport had been rejected as they claimed the photos were not signed by the garda.We sent a new application in the envelope provided to Balbriggan and to be fair it was back in three days.So panic is over for us.:)

I think if your passport is rejected and you resubmit it,it is treated as a priority.

Our original application was registered on March 23rd and came back rejected on April 21st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

cson wrote: »
    20 working days.
    This figure is now way out. The waiting time is now between 30-35 working days according to the passport office. The backlog is now 75,000k plus.

May be the case for regular passport applications but in recent correspondence with the passport office [6 days ago] I was told 20 working days for passport express applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

My brothers passport application was received and registered on March 30th via Passport Express.
    He is due to travel on Monday the 3rd of May to France with his school for a school exchange.
    His status online has been on received and registered since day one. Today is the 18th working day.
    He travelled to the PPO in Dublin today with copies of his old passport, copies of his birth cert, travel details from his school and a copy of the receipt from the passport express.
    He only waited 10 mins until he was seen at a counter. The lady was very pleasant and told him that his application was being processed and is currently out in Balbriggan (sp?) where it is being printed and that it will be put in the post as soon as it is printed and that it should arrive on Thursday (day 20).
    She also said that if it doesn't arrive on Thursday to travel straight back up to the PPO on Friday and they would sort something out for him so that he could travel on Monday.
    Positive result! :D
    20 working days.
    Mister men wrote: »
    This figure is now way out. The waiting time is now between 30-35 working days according to the passport office. The backlog is now 75,000k plus.
    May be the case for regular passport applications but in recent correspondence with the passport office [6 days ago] I was told 20 working days for passport express applications.

As I posted last week i said I would post an update.

My brothers passport application was sent via Passport Express.

It arrived at our house on Day 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

As I posted last week i said I would post an update.

My brothers passport application was sent via Passport Express.

It arrived at our house on Day 20.

Just wondering if the status was updated as time went on.......My daughters was registered on 7/4 so I was hoping it will arrive back this week or next...allowing for bank holidays. I see that the status is still same since it was received. Does this mean anything?

• Advertisement

Jomcc wrote: »
    Just wondering if the status was updated as time went on.......My daughters was registered on 7/4 so I was hoping it will arrive back this week or next...allowing for bank holidays. I see that the status is still same since it was received. Does this mean anything?

The status on my brothers passport never changed until it was in the post. The status then was a tracking number and a phone number for An Post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Not traveling but would like a passport for leaving cert graduation in a few weeks (long story about why didn't apply sooner). Obviously if I were to post it there's no chance of getting it. Heard Cork's better but still doubt I'd have any luck. Read somewhere that if you actually queue in the office you can get it approved that day but I'm guessing that's just for people travelling. Would it make any difference at all if I went down or would I be as well off just posting it? I know it sounds like a stupid question but thought I'd just check anyway.

And good luck to anyone who's actually travelling, hope this mess sorts itself out soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Not traveling but would like a passport for leaving cert graduation in a few weeks (long story about why didn't apply sooner). Obviously if I were to post it there's no chance of getting it. Heard Cork's better but still doubt I'd have any luck. Read somewhere that if you actually queue in the office you can get it approved that day but I'm guessing that's just for people travelling. Would it make any difference at all if I went down or would I be as well off just posting it? I know it sounds like a stupid question but thought I'd just check anyway.

And good luck to anyone who's actually travelling, hope this mess sorts itself out soon.
    Get a Garda card.
    Yours is nowhere near the definition of an emergency. Apply for a Garda card now and ask for some sort of proof of application. Then if the card doesn't come when you're on your night out you could chance your arm with said letter of proof of application and your birth cert.

Oh yeah, Ps. don't go to places that other leaving cert students will be flocking to. If you go somewhere respectable then there's a chance the manager would favour your legitimate story.

Get a Garda card.
    Yours is nowhere near the definition of an emergency. Apply for a Garda card now and ask for some sort of proof of application. Then if the card doesn't come when you're on your night out you could chance your arm with said letter of proof of application and your birth cert.

Oh yeah, Ps. don't go to places that other leaving cert students will be flocking to. If you go somewhere respectable then there's a chance the manager would favour your legitimate story.

You need photo ID to get a Garda card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

For f**k sake!! What a stupid country.

You just need one other form of ID.

Student Card will do for you. Get a student travel card and apply with that.

And don't even think about clogging up the PPO with a non-travel-essential application! :p

You just need one other form of ID.

Student Card will do for you. Get a student travel card and apply with that.

And don't even think about clogging up the PPO with a non-travel-essential application! :p

Ok dragged this thread off topic so this is my last post, promise. Just checked the site and it says 'form of identification' no mention of photo after all. Does this mean I can use my school bus pass? Has my name, DOB and address printed on it. I'm done now, no more off topic posts.

Ok dragged this thread off topic so this is my last post, promise. Just checked the site and it says 'form of identification' no mention of photo after all. Does this mean I can use my school bus pass? Has my name, DOB and address printed on it. I'm done now, no more off topic posts.

From the age card website
    Have one other form of identification. (Driving Licence/Student Card/Passport or similar identification)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 olafenbrau

Hi all found this thread useful over the last few days. My wifes passport was about to expire but we couldn't apply for a new on till we came back from a weekend in Edinburgh. She applied on passport express on the 12th apr. we included a copy of our flight details. Checked every day on the website but the web always said received and registered. We are flying to Us on sat 8th may and we started to panic last Tuesday. I rang them on Tuesday morning. I was on hold for 2 hours. So I am guessing that they don't answer phones before lunch. She rang them on Tuesday evening and she eventually got through. She was told that because her application was not yet 20 days. That ther was no guarentee that she would get it by friday. She rang again on weds and they told her that it should be ready on Friday. The application tracking finally changed yesterday Thursday at 3pm to printed. What a releif. I'm going to Dublin today to collect so fingers crossed it will be ready. I have my letter of authoration signed by my wife to allow me to collect. I will post again to let you know how I get on. With the help of god the volcanic ash doesn't stop u travelling tomorrow sat. Also people may be interested to know that the website is only updated 3 times a day. 7.45 13.45 and 18.45. Having said that we checked it yesterday at 14.00 it said last updated at 13.45 but the atatus was still at registered. We checked again at 15.00 and it said last updated at 13.45 but the status had changed to printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Thats for the update olafenbrau.
    We posted our application on the 14th, and it's been marked as "received" on the 15th but there has been no change in status since.
    We're travelling tomorrow week, so hopefully we will get the passports (wife and baby daughter) before then, or we're in trouble.....

• Advertisement

deadl0ck wrote: »
    We posted our application on the 14th, and it's been marked as "received" on the 15th but there has been no change in status since.
    We're travelling tomorrow week, so hopefully we will get the passports (wife and baby daughter) before then, or we're in trouble.....

More or less the same. Mine was recieved and registered the 19/4 and has been the same since. I'm flying the 20/5 so thats 22 working days so fingers crossed. the update status thing really isn't worth a ****e. They seem to only change it the day they print your passport.

deadl0ck wrote: »

You should be in good shape. They seem to be commiting to the 20 day turn around. So of it's submitted more than 20 days ahead of your travel date you should be fine. The progress of applications seems to be slow but once it goes past received and registered they seem to be able to do them in 2 days from that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Mine was registered on the 29th of April. The status is still registered. I will give updates on whether the status changes. I need it for June 10th :cool:

I went in today at 9.15 to collect my wifes passport. While it states on th web that they don't open till 9.30. You can go in and sit down from about 9 onwards. Passport collection I upstairs. Once upstairs there was about 40 people waiting.
    There was alot of confusion. But from what I could guess the following advice may be useful. If you know your passport is definately ready for collection then take a number from the machine upstairs. You will Then be called to counter 1or 2 on the right hand side.
    Unless your passport is definately ready for collection go to customer service counter also upstairs but it's on the left hand side near the external window. This is a bit of a free for all so you will need to que along the external windows. They were farely prompt and they had 4 or 5 counters open. They had half the queue cleared by 10 o clock.
    Turns out that my passport was not ready. It said printed on the website. But it's still at the printers in balbriggan (I think it was balbriggan they said). They told me to come back at 3.30 and it should be ready. So with help of God it will be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I sent in two applications, by passport express, on the 13th April; received the 14th and registered. No update on the website since then. Currently at 18 working days. I'll let you know when I get them.

I know that people are not reccomending to go to the PPO and just to wait for it to be posted, but I genuinely believe that when my brother went to queue it helped.

As I said he went to the PPO on working day 18(a tuesday) he is only 16 and explained he was going on a school exchange in 6 days(the following monday). He had a print out of his flight. He didn't get to the PPO until 11 a.m and was seen within 10-15 mins.

The lady explained that the passports are printed in Balbriggan and that his was currently out there being printed.
    She also said that if the passport did not arrive on day 20, the thursday, that he should come back up to the PPO and they would organise an emergency passport that day.

So on Tuesday evening when my bro got home from Dublin my mother got a phone call from the PPO to tell her that they were placing his passport in the post there and then!

EDIT: Forgot to say that the passport arrived on the Thursday, Day 20.
    So I think if in serious doubt then go to the PPO and talk to them

Actually got through on the phone there.
    Was told there is no guarentee on turn around time at all, and currently it's approx. 20-25 working days :(
    They said they are working over the weekend, and to ring back for a status update on Monday.

olafenbrau wrote: »
    I went in today at 9.15 to collect my wifes passport. While it states on th web that they don't open till 9.30. You can go in and sit down from about 9 onwards. Passport collection I upstairs. Once upstairs there was about 40 people waiting.
    There was alot of confusion. But from what I could guess the following advice may be useful. If you know your passport is definately ready for collection then take a number from the machine upstairs. You will Then be called to counter 1or 2 on the right hand side.
    Unless your passport is definately ready for collection go to customer service counter also upstairs but it's on the left hand side near the external window. This is a bit of a free for all so you will need to que along the external windows. They were farely prompt and they had 4 or 5 counters open. They had half the queue cleared by 10 o clock.
    Turns out that my passport was not ready. It said printed on the website. But it's still at the printers in balbriggan (I think it was balbriggan they said). They told me to come back at 3.30 and it should be ready. So with help of God it will be ready.

I went back to the passport office today at 2pm and it was ready for collection. Great result. All set for flight to us tomorrow.

olafenbrau wrote: »
    I went back to the passport office today at 2pm and it was ready for collection. Great result. All set for flight to us tomorrow.

Another succesful story! Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Fantastic !!! Enjoy your trip !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement