Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

From Citizen's Information website:

All EU citizens have the right to enter and live in the territory of another member state of the EU for up to three months. You simply present a valid passport or national identity card; no other formality is required. EU countries cannot set additional conditions concerning the minimum validity or duration of the identity card or passport. Basically this means that your passport doesn't have to be valid for, say, 6 months before you are allowed enter another EU country.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/applying_for_or_renewing_an_irish_passport.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Hi guys,

Anyone any experience with how quickly the passport will go from "passport is printed" to "ready for collection"? I sent it with passport express nearly 3 weeks ago now and I'm travelling this Saturday.

I'm currently seeing:
    Issue Date: 22/08/2014
    Website Last Updated: 27/08/2014 at 07:45

I've been on hold with the passport office now for ages too...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tinliz

Regarding the issue of who has to attend the passport office when applying for a new passport (when you need quick turnaround): my wife did attend in person, so there was no issue. While at the counter, we did ask, did she need to be there and the answer was that she didn't - I could have attended for her. However, that was what I was told (verbally) - there's nothing in writing and this "verbal" rule could change in the near future. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who got someone else to apply for them.
    A few days later when the passport was ready for collection, my wife didn't attend - I picked it up for her - all I needed was the receipt (they also said to have ID, but I wasn't asked for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tinliz

When I picked up my wife's new passport recently (in Cork) - we had been told it would be ready on Friday and on that morning the status said "Passport is Printed". I went into the office and collected it, no problem. I didn't wait for it to change to "Passport is ready for collection".
    That's just my experience ...

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Right so checked in online with Ryan Air and printed everything out.

Just noticed on my printed boarding pass that my forename is not as exactly as on passport.

On my passport it is John Paul*

But I only put in John on the online check in.

Everything else is right as in passport number and dates and picture is obviously me. Will they accept my passport or will I be better off trying to change the name?

***** John Paul is not my name. Just an example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

commited wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Anyone any experience with how quickly the passport will go from "passport is printed" to "ready for collection"? I sent it with passport express nearly 3 weeks ago now and I'm travelling this Saturday.

I'm currently seeing:

I've been on hold with the passport office now for ages too...

Once it's printed, it should be dispatched the same day, and you should have it in the post the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 silkycute

Can you get a passport at the passport office in Dublin on the same day if you travel up for it?

I'm not travelling anywhere urgently I just need it for bill pay with Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 silkycute

No :( How long does it take to receive one on a normal basis?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

You can get one issued within 3 working days, but you'll have to pay a premium for that service. Also you'll need to book an appointment at www.passportappointments.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

How long should the checking stage take. My Application has been at the "being checked stage since last Friday? My application is for a passport renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JohnBrennan

I want to go to London on the 23rd of September. I plan on applying for a passport (my first one) on Monday and have just realised that first time applications can take a while. I don't have any other photo ID. Is there any quicker way of getting photo ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Aer Lingus accept a variety of ID, Ryanair only passports.
    http://www.aerlingus.ie/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/visaspassports/#d.en.4568

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Put your application in via the post office, you should get it in time as the holiday season is over. If you're travelling on the ferry there's usually no problem with any old id and it's more likely that nobody will ask you for it but as already advised, Ryanair is passport or no travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carann

Does anyone know if i can talk to someone in the passport office if i just turn up to the Molesworth office? I sent a passport express application on 22/08/14 and need it back for 5th Sept to sort ESTA etc (travel on the 10th). Online tracking is saying the issue date is 05/09/14, I really want to find out if i can collect it on the 5th and have emailed the office numerous times but no one is replying. I'm desperate here, i am travelling to accompany my elderly dad and need to arrange something else if i wont have the passport on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jimfo1970

fxotoole wrote: »
    You can get one issued within 3 working days, but you'll have to pay a premium for that service. Also you'll need to book an appointment at www.passportappointments.ie

Thanks. You have pointed me in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭Daith

Hey folks, really dumb question here

Booking tickets to the states for a friend and I.

His first name on his passport is Alan John

Is that what I should put on the first name for his ticket? Not just Alan. I know it sounds weird but US immigration can be annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Daith wrote: »
    Hey folks, really dumb question here

Booking tickets to the states for a friend and I.

His first name on his passport is Alan John

Is that what I should put on the first name for his ticket? Not just Alan. I know it sounds weird but US immigration can be annoying!

Yes, always try and reproduce exactly what is on the passport for the tickets :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭Daith

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Yes, always try and reproduce exactly what is on the passport for the tickets :)

Perfect. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Twillix

Hello

I sent my passport renewal documents using passport express on Tuesday 02.09 at 12.00 midday from the An Post located Dublin 2. However the tracking is not showing it has been received or registered by the passport tracker. I get the below:

Unable find any record for application number XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Has anyone had experience with it taking this long?

I am afraid my forms have been lost :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mcfc

Twillix wrote: »
    Hello

I sent my passport renewal documents using passport express on Tuesday 02.09 at 12.00 midday from the An Post located Dublin 2. However the tracking is not showing it has been received or registered by the passport tracker. I get the below:

Unable find any record for application number XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Has anyone had experience with it taking this long?

I am afraid my forms have been lost :(

We sent ours in on the 19th of august and it only says issued on the 1st of sept on the site. Tried ringing and emailing. Have heard nothing back. Its now 13 working days in the system. We are traveling on tuesday!

I think you are right to keep calling them and mailing them (someone also previously suggesting using twitter too) hopefully they will be able to push through your passports!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mcfc

Ill give twitter a try. It says on the site that it is only at the received and registered stage. Its taken 13 days to this and im on the an post express passport service. Its a joke. Cant get through to anyone. Does anyone know will they talk to me if i go into the offics

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

Will my birth certificate be returned to me along with my passport?

Thanks.

Well I called down to the an post office that I had sent my forms from on Tues to ask here if there was any delay with sending it. Fair play to her, she checked her system and said she could see it was delivered to them today and told me to keep checking the tracker and if it still wasnt up tomorrow to come back to her.

Its a bit disappointing though, as they only begin the 10 day turn around from the point that they register it as received, so technically even though I posted it Tues and I know it's there today, until its up on the tracker the 10 day turn around wont start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Well I called down to the an post office that I had sent my forms from on Tues to ask here if there was any delay with sending it. Fair play to her, she checked her system and said she could see it was delivered to them today and told me to keep checking the tracker and if it still wasnt up tomorrow to come back to her.

Its a bit disappointing though, as they only begin the 10 day turn around from the point that they register it as received, so technically even though I posted it Tues and I know it's there today, until its up on the tracker the 10 day turn around wont start.

13 day turnaround at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

mcfc wrote: »
    We sent ours in on the 19th of august and it only says issued on the 1st of sept on the site. Tried ringing and emailing. Have heard nothing back. Its now 13 working days in the system. We are traveling on tuesday!

Why did you leave it so late to apply?
    mcfc wrote: »
    Ill give twitter a try. It says on the site that it is only at the received and registered stage. Its taken 13 days to this and im on the an post express passport service. Its a joke. Cant get through to anyone. Does anyone know will they talk to me if i go into the offics

You're 1 day late! Or more likely it's taken 36 hours to be registered, how do you expect them to register it when you only posted it on Tuesday? How can it go into the passport system when they haven't even got it?

• Advertisement

My point is that, as as referenced on the website, there is supposed to be a "next day" delivery to the the Passport office, which is what they take into account when they qoute a 10 day turn around (or 13 days as it is now)

3.Passport Express provides a next working day delivery service to the Passport Service for applications submitted to Post Offices

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement