Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Have you informed work that you need proof to get your passport?

Yup, it was them that asked me to travel, and they've given me a signed letter on company letter head paper. I contacted passport office this morning and for they informed me that a officially signed letter from work should be okay, assuming I have all other documents in order. Travelling in now to the passport office at the moment so hopefully all goes well. Will give an update later so anyone in that ends up the same situation will have an idea of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Hi there,

I live in London and have just had my application rejected. They said I didn't provide the photos but that isn't true, as i went through the checks in the office in London and the photos definitely went in the envelope. I also received a call to check my credit card number three weeks ago and there was no mention of any problems with my application.

Anyway I've to resubmit again, and i was wondering what do I put in the 'payment' section of the form? If i leave it blank will that not slow up the procedure further? How will they know to link my previous payment with this new application (considering what happened my photos)?

Is there any way of speeding up the process as the website says passport express is only available in Liverpool/Glasgow? Also, how would paying for Passport Express work considering I've already paid for Standard?

Sorry about all the questions, can't get through to anyone on the phone. Going to Spain for Christmas and, even if my current passport doesn't expire until February, I'm worried i won't be allowed back into the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Yup, it was them that asked me to travel, and they've given me a signed letter on company letter head paper. I contacted passport office this morning and for they informed me that a officially signed letter from work should be okay, assuming I have all other documents in order. Travelling in now to the passport office at the moment so hopefully all goes well. Will give an update later so anyone in that ends up the same situation will have an idea of the process.

So quick update - all was cool with just the signed letter from work. Told I could collect it this day week. So anyone who finds themselves needing to travel for work should just ask their employer for a letter if flight numbers aren't available and should be all good. Very straightforward process, and very easy to deal with.

Of course the easiest thing would be not to let passport expire in the first place. Calendar reminder set for summer 2024 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    So quick update - all was cool with just the signed letter from work. Told I could collect it this day week. So anyone who finds themselves needing to travel for work should just ask their employer for a letter if flight numbers aren't available and should be all good. Very straightforward process, and very easy to deal with.

Of course the easiest thing would be not to let passport expire in the first place. Calendar reminder set for summer 2024 :P

You can sign up for a reminder on the passport office website. The passport office will email you in August 2024 reminding you you have 3 months left on your passport :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

fxotoole wrote: »
    "Checked" means someone checks your photo is of sufficient quality, checks your identity documents are in order, and that you have an entitlement to an Irish passport. Basically the checker is the person who decides whether your application is approved or rejected.

Madrid would scan the application in, then the scanned images and data would be submitted to Dublin for checking. There could be a backlog in Madrid itself, i.e. it could take a few weeks before they get around to scanning in your application and submitting it to Dublin. Therefore, it would be best to email Madrid in the first instance to see what stage your application is at.

It's sorted now. Thank you. Nice to know what goes on behind the scenes though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 darryl2014

If your passport application was rejected, and you subsequently sent back what they were looking for, how long would it take on average for them to complete everything and send you your passport?

darryl2014 wrote: »
    If your passport application was rejected, and you subsequently sent back what they were looking for, how long would it take on average for them to complete everything and send you your passport?

About 10 working days if it's a renewal. It could be sooner this time of year as it's not peak travel time.

It was a lost passport application will that make a difference? I sent it originally by passport express, and got it sent back in about 9 working days

darryl2014 wrote: »
    It was a lost passport application will that make a difference? I sent it originally by passport express, and got it sent back in about 9 working days

It might do. Lost passports are treated the same as first time passport applications. This is because you have to re-establish your identity for the passport office. It could take longer than 10 working days. The fact that it is a quiet enough time of year might push things on sooner for you.

okay Thanks a million I appreciate the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

My passport was sent off on the 14th.

On Monday I checked and it said - Received on 17/11/2014 and has been registered.

I'm flying out on 4th December to my sister's wedding and petrified I won't have it back in time.
    If there is something wrong with my application would I know by now or would I be waiting until until it says 'checked'
    Hoping if there was something wrong I could apply for an emergency one.

I looked online for the last few weeks and average turnaround is still 10 days.

Fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

rustyzip wrote: »
    My passport was sent off on the 14th.

On Monday I checked and it said - Received on 17/11/2014 and has been registered.

I'm flying out on 4th December to my sister's wedding and petrified I won't have it back in time.
    If there is something wrong with my application would I know by now or would I be waiting until until it says 'checked'
    Hoping if there was something wrong I could apply for an emergency one.

I looked online for the last few weeks and average turnaround is still 10 days.

Fingers crossed :)

10 working days. By my calculations, there's 9 working days between the 17th and the 4th. If there something wrong with your application you won't know about it until the last few days.

If your application is rejected you lose the 10 working day guarantee, so hopefully everything is OK with your application.

Edit: apologies, there's 14 working days between 17th and 4th. Haven't had my coffee yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

fxotoole wrote: »
    10 working days. By my calculations, there's 9 working days between the 17th and the 4th. If there something wrong with your application you won't know about it until the last few days.

If your application is rejected you lose the 10 working day guarantee, so hopefully everything is OK with your application.

Edit: apologies, there's 14 working days between 17th and 4th. Haven't had my coffee yet!

Thanks, yep I know it's 10 working days - Mon - Fri..
    Just worried as the status hasn't changed in 5 working days :(
    And I'm afraid if there's a problem I won't be able to get a passport in time and will miss the wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Just a quick question, can you still drop in your passport application by hand to the passport office in Dublin? Just been looking at the website and it says by appointment if travelling in the next 2 weeks, otherwise by post. But can you just drop it in like you used to be able to ???

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

As far as I'm aware, no you can't, unless it's an emergency situation. You have to submit it by post/via the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

tomboylady wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, no you can't, unless it's an emergency situation. You have to submit it by post/via the post office.

Thanks... yeah, I thought that all right from looking at the website, tried ringing them but huge wait so thanks very much for that! I'll post it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Hi there,

I live in London and have just had my application rejected. They said I didn't provide the photos but that isn't true, as i went through the checks in the office in London and the photos definitely went in the envelope. I also received a call to check my credit card number three weeks ago and there was no mention of any problems with my application.

Anyway I've to resubmit again, and i was wondering what do I put in the 'payment' section of the form? If i leave it blank will that not slow up the procedure further? How will they know to link my previous payment with this new application (considering what happened my photos)?

Is there any way of speeding up the process as the website says passport express is only available in Liverpool/Glasgow? Also, how would paying for Passport Express work considering I've already paid for Standard?

Sorry about all the questions, can't get through to anyone on the phone. Going to Spain for Christmas and, even if my current passport doesn't expire until February, I'm worried i won't be allowed back into the UK.

Dropped in new photos to London office on Tuesday. Passport arrived by post on Saturday. Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

I plan on flying out on holiday in late January
    However just noticed my passport expires in mid December, so will start the renewal process immediately
    Will Lingus/Ryanair computer system allow me to book flight now with passport which expires in mid December?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

TOMP wrote: »
    However just noticed my passport expires in mid December, so will start the renewal process immediately
    Will Lingus/Ryanair computer system allow me to book flight now with passport which expires in mid December?

Yes, you don't need a passport to book, you do need it to check in with Ryanair. Aer Lingus varies depending on destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

TOMP wrote: »
    athtrasna wrote: »
    Yes, you don't need a passport to book, you do need it to check in with Ryanair. Aer Lingus varies depending on destination.

You are asked for your name "as it appears on your passport" which will only change from your application if the passport fudge it (unlikely) and as far as can remember one of them looks for the number which WILL change the simplest way to check is book your ticket and if they don't ask you for something you haven't got you're grand. The worst case is you have to pay for a ticket change after you get your passport but it should be well before you get to the airport and you should have no fear of not being able to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 munwin

Does anyone know if it's still possible to book an appointment with passportappointments.ie even if you have already sent off your application through An Post ?

Looks like a family members application won't be back on time for a flight abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

munwin wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's still possible to book an appointment with passportappointments.ie even if you have already sent off your application through An Post ?

Looks like a family members application won't be back on time for a flight abroad.

I believe that you can, just take some ID and the application number.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭matchboxyouth

Hi, I'm just after realising my passport is missing and I am meant to be flying to Manchester January 10th. I still have some time to sort it out, although with xmas its such bad timing financially.
    My question would be is there some sort of one flight passport I can get to cover me for this trip, so I don't have to pay for a full passport and also the 2-5 day express on top. I really only have this trip to worry about for a while.
    Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Hi, I'm just after realising my passport is missing and I am meant to be flying to Manchester January 10th. I still have some time to sort it out, although with xmas its such bad timing financially.
    My question would be is there some sort of one flight passport I can get to cover me for this trip, so I don't have to pay for a full passport and also the 2-5 day express on top. I really only have this trip to worry about for a while.
    Thanks for any help

If you are flying with Aer Lingus from Ireland to the UK you can travel on your driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MariaCN

I lost my passport just before taking my booked flight to Dublin on Friday last. Monday, I arranged to fly to Dublin from Spain on a Emergency Travel Document obtainable from the Irish Consulate in Alicante. The plan was to apply for new passport while in Ireland, however, having just read through the Passport Office's website, I am very concerned about the paragraph below:

So if I do go to Ireland, can I obtain another Emergency Travel Document in order to return to Spain. I am an Irish citizen, born in Ireland and live in Spain.

Thanks for any advice.
    ===============

What type of form you need and where to get one

Page 1 of 5

Where you get your passport application form depends on where you live and the type of form you need to use.

Types of application form:

Use an APS 1E form if you are living in Ireland
    Use an APS 2E form if you are living in Northern Ireland

If you normally live outside Ireland but are currently in this country, you must still apply for your Irish passport in the country where you live (your country of permanent residence), using an APS 2E form.
    =======================

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MariaCN

Please advise should this query be on another board? Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Could you apply before you leave Spain and get them (or someone else) to send the passport back to Ireland.

Ultimately I'd say contact the Embassy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Otherwise no unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

MariaCN wrote: »
    I lost my passport just before taking my booked flight to Dublin on Friday last. Monday, I arranged to fly to Dublin from Spain on a Emergency Travel Document obtainable from the Irish Consulate in Alicante. The plan was to apply for new passport while in Ireland, however, having just read through the Passport Office's website, I am very concerned about the paragraph below:

So if I do go to Ireland, can I obtain another Emergency Travel Document in order to return to Spain. I am an Irish citizen, born in Ireland and live in Spain.

Thanks for any advice.
    ===============

What type of form you need and where to get one

Page 1 of 5

Where you get your passport application form depends on where you live and the type of form you need to use.

Types of application form:

Use an APS 1E form if you are living in Ireland
    Use an APS 2E form if you are living in Northern Ireland

If you normally live outside Ireland but are currently in this country, you must still apply for your Irish passport in the country where you live (your country of permanent residence), using an APS 2E form.
    =======================

An Emergency Travel Document is not a travel document, it is merely a freecard to get you home from wherever you are in the world.

In your case best you can do is get an APS1 form, complete it in Ireland with a Garda, and use an Irish address.
    Then make an appointment with te Passport Office via passportappointments.ie and go in.
    If you are still in possession of your Emergency Travel Document bring this with you. You will also need additional documents, the website will inform you on what exactly when you are making the appointment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement