Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

MariaCN wrote: »
    I lost my passport just before taking my booked flight to Dublin on Friday last. Monday, I arranged to fly to Dublin from Spain on a Emergency Travel Document obtainable from the Irish Consulate in Alicante. The plan was to apply for new passport while in Ireland, however, having just read through the Passport Office's website, I am very concerned about the paragraph below:

So if I do go to Ireland, can I obtain another Emergency Travel Document in order to return to Spain. I am an Irish citizen, born in Ireland and live in Spain.

Thanks for any advice.
    ===============

What type of form you need and where to get one

Page 1 of 5

Where you get your passport application form depends on where you live and the type of form you need to use.

Types of application form:

Use an APS 1E form if you are living in Ireland
    Use an APS 2E form if you are living in Northern Ireland

If you normally live outside Ireland but are currently in this country, you must still apply for your Irish passport in the country where you live (your country of permanent residence), using an APS 2E form.
    =======================

I wouldn't worry too much about that. On arrival in Ireland, just use the APS1E form, and get a Garda to witness it. The main difference between the two types of forms is the list of people who can witness your application.

The Passport Office are flexible, so they should be able to issue a passport to you within anywhere from 1 working day to 5 working days, but you'll have to pay an emergency fee in order to be facilitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paniccentral

Guys I want the floor to swallow me.

I received a flight ticket for New Year's Eve as a present, absolutely delighted but I also just discovered that I've lost my passport! What on earth can I do in this situation, please please please tell me there's something I can do! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Guys I want the floor to swallow me.

I received a flight ticket for New Year's Eve as a present, absolutely delighted but I also just discovered that I've lost my passport! What on earth can I do in this situation, please please please tell me there's something I can do! :(

Calm down and search methodically.
    When did you last have it?
    Search bags you might have used for the last trip etc..

spurious wrote: »
    Calm down and search methodically.
    When did you last have it?
    Search bags you might have used for the last trip etc..

Have done Spurious! I moved counties a few months ago and lost it along the way, it's definitely gone by now for certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

There has to be some way..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There has to be some way..

If you're in DUblin and willing to pay, it might be mathematically possible, but you need to get the documents toegether and head in there first thing tomorrow morning (they're open until 1pm according to the website)
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/ppo-christmas-&-new-year-arrangements/

It says minimum turnaround is three working days, which, accounting for the weekend brings you right up to the 31st.

How late is the flight?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

@Panniccentral, if you are travelling to the UK with anyone except Ryanair, you can travel on a drivers licence.

Otherwise, you ought to be able to get a new passport within 3 working days, but you'll need to book an appointment for Monday, as early as possible. Go to www.passportappointment.ie to book the appointment. Get all your documents together over the weekend - as you've lost your passport, you will need a full set of documents and the Garda who witnesses the form will also need to witness the statement of loss (section 6).

You'll also need to shell out for the "emergency fee" on top of the cost of the passport. I think it's €150 all told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Hi, I have a quick question in relation to my passport.

I'm travelling to Las Vegas in May and returning early June. I'm due to fly home the first week of June. My passport is set to expire on the 15th of June but there is a chance I will be staying over there for a while longer.

Is it possible to renew my passport tomorrow by calling into the passport office? Or do I have to wait until there is a certain amount of time left on my current passport?

Many thanks for your help,
    Glenn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

You can renew it in advance - the following link will give you all the info you need

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/when-should-i-apply-for-a-new-passport/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You can renew your passport but will have to use passport express as your travel is not imminent

You can renew it in advance - the following link will give you all the info you need

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/when-should-i-apply-for-a-new-passport/

I'll check out that link now and have a look. Thank you.
    athtrasna wrote: »
    You can renew your passport but will have to use passport express as your travel is not imminent

I don't mind doing that. Is there a certain way I have to go about it as it's express?

Please excuse my stupidity when it comes to passports and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Why do express it will cost you extra money and you arent traveling for 5 months? Just do a normal renewal.

Why do express it will cost you extra money and you arent traveling for 5 months? Just do a normal renewal.

Does a normal renewal just involve calling into the passport offices in person with 4 passport photos and my old passport with €80?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

According to the dfa website it's cheaper to renew via Passport Express. They will only deal directly with you if you're travelling within 10 days and then they charge a significant admin fee

Apart from the urgent travel passport applications you can ONLY renew by passport express (via An Post) now. They stopped taking in person and ordinary post applications months ago. There is no such thing as a "normal " renewal

Apart from the urgent travel passport applications you can ONLY renew by passport express (via An Post) now. They stopped taking in person and ordinary post applications months ago. There is no such thing as a "normal " renewal

Thanks alot for that. I'll pop down to the local post office in the morning and get that sorted.

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Thanks alot for that. I'll pop down to the local post office in the morning and get that sorted.

Do you have the form completed and have necessary signatures and stamps from the Gardai?

I have just checked and they are normal business hours tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Do you have the form completed and have necessary signatures and stamps from the Gardai?

I don't have anything neccsessary for renewing it. I'll check now online what I need. Thanks for making me aware.

This is incorrect. You can renew via the public offices even of you have several months left on your passport.

If you renew via the public counter and you are not travelling urgently, you only have to pay €80. If you were to renew via the Post Office you would end up paying a few extra euro (I think the Post Office charge €8 for passport express on top of the €80, so Passport Express is actually more expensive in this particular case).

fxotoole wrote: »
    This is incorrect. You can renew via the public offices even of you have several months left on your passport.

If you renew via the public counter and you are not travelling urgently, you only have to pay €80. If you were to renew via the Post Office you would end up paying a few extra euro (I think the Post Office charge €8 for passport express on top of the €80, so Passport Express is actually more expensive in this particular case).

Now that is incorrect, according to the dfa website they are taking public counter applications but the fee is €95 whereas passport express is €89

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/ireland/born-in-ireland/adult-renewal/anytime/more-than-10-working-days/

Now that is incorrect, according to the dfa website they are taking public counter applications but the fee is €95 whereas passport express is €89

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/ireland/born-in-ireland/adult-renewal/anytime/more-than-10-working-days/

Right so, my bad. Passport Express is in fact cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Is the passport office in dublin open today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Yes

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Is the passport office in dublin open today?

yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Is there anything wrong with using different passports on the outbound/inbound legs of a journey? I have both a US and an Irish passport, going back to SF in a couple weeks for my cousin's wedding. For pure handiness with immigration (on both sides), looking to travel into the States on my American passport, and then back to Dublin on my Irish passport.

Is this actually what I SHOULD be doing, or is there some kind of problem doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is there anything wrong with using different passports on the outbound/inbound legs of a journey? I have both a US and an Irish passport, going back to SF in a couple weeks for my cousin's wedding. For pure handiness with immigration (on both sides), looking to travel into the States on my American passport, and then back to Dublin on my Irish passport.
    My mother has done precisely that in the past, but that was about 10 or more years ago.

No idea if events since means there would be problems with it, but I can't see why, if you happen to hold both passports.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement