Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭ALS

Hi , we have a trip booked departing on the 14th Jan 2015 and over the Xmas we realised my youngest son aged 9 passport was expired , we posted passport express on the 29th of Dec and it shows up online as been registered on the 31st Dec with a target date of the 14th Jan , which is the day of departure , is there any point in calling the office and seeing if they can help out or do I just sit and hope and pray , cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Definitely worth calling in, I had to get over to London a couple years back and was waiting on my passport to be renewed. They managed to sort me with an emergency passport (valid for 3 months I think it was) since the other wouldn't be ready on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'm travelling for work in the US this Thursday 8th (new job), and my last passport was stolen in a house burglary years ago (Garda report etc.)

I applied for my passport Nov 28th, giving me 5-6 weeks buffer time before my travel date. The online tracker said it was going to print (or approved, can't remember which) and that the target issue date was Dec 18th. Grand job.

Dec 18th comes and goes, and then on Christmas eve I get my application back with an extra ID form to be filled out. Bit stressful, but no problem, was returned the next working day, last Monday.

Because I had proof of travel for Jan 8th, the nice lady said they'd get it ready for collection today. I went in today to collect it and now they say it'll be the 12th – after my flight.

They told me they'd do their best to get it ready for this Wednesday – cutting it very fine as I need my number to get my ESTA! Also because they also said that about today, I'm not comfortable relying on that.

I asked if I could cancel my current application and make a new application for an emergency passport, which can be used with an ESTA but they said no. I also can't pay a premium for a speedier turnaround time, though I could have done so at the original application (wish I'd realised that then!)

Is there a magic word or situation that can speed up the process? Or another avenue that people with more knowledge of this might be aware of? I don't want to be one of those assholes that goes ringing around various people in the department in a fluster, I'm sure they get 50 of those a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,679 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

From a few friends who have had similar emergencies when they have said they will do their best to get it on x date they always have provided it on this date, that probably doesn't put your mind any more at ease though.

If it was me I would call them first thing tomorrow morning and just remind them that the said they would do their best to have it Wednesday and see if they still think that's possible. From an emergency passport point of view you could get one Wednesday in a couple of hours if the other doesn't come through.

• Advertisement

I had to do that a few years ago, and couldn't believe how amazingly quick they were! Was paying top dollar for it in fairness, but they really pulled out every stop for me and that was just for a holiday.

I'd love to go the emergency route just to have the damned thing – your idea of a phone call is a good one, at least they'll be able to tell me one way or the other then! Thanks!

(Also, massive cringe as I've just found the "ALL Passport Related Questions" thread.)

/Morto

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Just before Christmas I sent my passport off to be renewed via the Passport Express service. I anticipated it'd take longer than usual over the Christmas period so a few days delay was no problem.

Today I checked the tracking and it says it was "on route to customer" yesterday while I was at work, and today has been delivered to the Fonthill parcel depot.

This is all well and good, but whoever tried to deliver it yesterday did not leave any "'Sorry we missed you" notice (An Post's description, not mine!).

Should he have? Or can I pick up the passport with the original Passport Express receipt I got from the post office?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 peterbella

ALS wrote: »
    Hi , we have a trip booked departing on the 14th Jan 2015 and over the Xmas we realised my youngest son aged 9 passport was expired , we posted passport express on the 29th of Dec and it shows up online as been registered on the 31st Dec with a target date of the 14th Jan , which is the day of departure , is there any point in calling the office and seeing if they can help out or do I just sit and hope and pray , cheers

Any news on your application? I'm in the same boat. Sent off renewal the 29/12/14, website saying received on 31/12/14. Due date back the 14/1/15 but travelling the 15/1/15.

Did you get any help or feedback from the office??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

splitrmx wrote: »
    Just before Christmas I sent my passport off to be renewed via the Passport Express service. I anticipated it'd take longer than usual over the Christmas period so a few days delay was no problem.

Today I checked the tracking and it says it was "on route to customer" yesterday while I was at work, and today has been delivered to the Fonthill parcel depot.

This is all well and good, but whoever tried to deliver it yesterday did not leave any "'Sorry we missed you" notice (An Post's description, not mine!).

Should he have? Or can I pick up the passport with the original Passport Express receipt I got from the post office?

An Post are not supposed to require a signature for Swiftpost delivery. They should have dropped it in your letterbox.

Anyway, you ought to be able to collect it from your local depot so long as you bring photo ID, if I'm not mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

peterbella wrote: »
    Any news on your application? I'm in the same boat. Sent off renewal the 29/12/14, website saying received on 31/12/14. Due date back the 14/1/15 but travelling the 15/1/15.

I'd say your cutting it pretty close. Your best bet is to ring them, drop them an email, or drop in to a Passport Office and enquire at reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

peterbella wrote: »

You'd best ring or e-mail them. They may ask for a copy of your flight details.
    They can issue on the issue date and will try to help. You may have to collect though, but it's possible if they know about you genuinely travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dom17

Hi
    going to the UK next month with Ryanair and my australian passport expires in May. does anyone know for sure if i can travel. I have all the necessary visas . I just dont know what the rules are. I know some airlines wont let you fly if your passport has less than 6 mths till expiry
    Thanks Dom

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

dom17 wrote: »
    Hi
    going to the UK next month with Ryanair and my australian passport expires in May. does anyone know for sure if i can travel. I have all the necessary visas . I just dont know what the rules are. I know some airlines wont let you fly if your passport has less than 6 mths till expiry
    Thanks Dom

imo - do the online check in - the Ryanair guys near the gate see your passport for ID purpose only

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dom17

thanks bbari
    but because its a non EU passport even when i checkin online i still have to go to the Ryanair desk and get my boarding card stamped and show my passport

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

thanks bbari
    but because its a non EU passport even when i checkin online i still have to go to the Ryanair desk and get my boarding card stamped and show my passport

Yes. Non EU passport holders have to do do a visa check at the Ryanair desk. You do it at the check in desk in the terminal building, not at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Hi
    Thanks Dom

The 6 month rule depends on the country you are visiting, not on an airline.
    If you want to be 100% sure best contact the UK Home Office.
    Www.gov.uk and then scroll to Visa's and Immigration.

No, but some countries require visitors to have a passport that is valid for 6 months after their visit. I have no idea if the UK require that of Australian visitors. But as the OP doesn't know either and they are the one traveling, they are wise to be asking all this before they travel imo.

Holder of non EU passports, have to go to the Ryanair desk and have their passport inspected before they can board the flight. If the passport does not meet the requirements of the country that the passenger is flying to, the Ryanair official will NOT stamp the passengers boarding card. You can't board the flight, unless you have that stamp on your boarding card. There is zero wiggle room on this.

If I was the OP, I'd contact the Australian embassy and find out directly from them, if the 6 month thing applies to them. Or just apply for a new passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

Put in wrong passport no for my daughter when booking Ryanair flight she has new passport.Flight tomorrow cant find anywhere to rectify this.Finding their phone number is impossible,going around in circles on website.Any ideas how much this will cost

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stephen090

As you do, I've misplaced my passport the week before flying with Ryanair (Friday 16th morning). Will I be able to book an appointment for the "pilot rapid renewal" service online on Monday or Tuesday. Does this mean the passport will be made up and handed to me on the same day?

Thanks for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

Looking for a bit of info my son has booked a holiday & when putting in details for flight tickets his friend didn't put in his full name just his first& last his passport has 3 names on it would it matter

If his middle name is all that is missing, he will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

I think its a surname although he has never used it ,would you no how he would go about changing it if it has to be changed & if they charge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

ninty wrote: »
    Put in wrong passport no for my daughter when booking Ryanair flight she has new passport.Flight tomorrow cant find anywhere to rectify this.Finding their phone number is impossible,going around in circles on website.Any ideas how much this will cost

If the booking was made within the last 24 hours and she hasn't checked in yet, then they will change mistakes for free. Otherwise it'll cost you probably around €110 as this is the fee for name change. It'll also cost €15 to undo the check in if she has already checked in.

Phone numbers can be found here: http://www.ryanair.com/ie/questions/contacting-customer-service/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

grimm2005 wrote: »
    If the booking was made within the last 24 hours and she hasn't checked in yet, then they will change mistakes for free. Otherwise it'll cost you probably around €110 as this is the fee for name change. It'll also cost €15 to undo the check in if she has already checked in.

Phone numbers can be found here: http://www.ryanair.com/ie/questions/contacting-customer-service/

Passport only required at check in so must be checked in at this stage.
    I think its going to cost you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

grimm2005 wrote: »

Am I right in saying there isn't actually a phone number on that page?! Cheeky beggars :pac:

Edit: Woops didn't look closely enough it's - 1520 444 004

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If online check in then passport is only checked when boarding, surely the person checking won't realise it's the wrong number, thought they only looked at pics

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, by saying that he gave his first and last name, but left out his surname.

If he just left out his middle name, he'd be fine. For example, if he booked the ticket as John Smith, but his passport says that he is John Patrick Smith, there wouldn't be any issues. But if he has a completely different surname on the booking, than the one on his passport, then there will be a problem.

Most airlines let you correct mistakes on names, if you give them a ring within 24 hrs of making the booking. But if it has been longer than that, there will probably be a fee to correct the mistake. The only way to find out is to give them a ring in the morning, or check the airlines website. You haven't said what airline he is flying on, but their website may have information on what to do if you need to correct a mistake on a booking & the fees associated with doing so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement