Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Hi all, i was hoping to get a bit of advice from people who have been through this already.

I sent off my renewal application this morning. I haven't booked flights, but want to leave asap... Is the 20 day tournaround still a good estimate? And would this be from the day you send off your application, or from when they receive it?

I was thinking of booking my flights for say 20/25 working days from now and crossing my fingers; otherwise they'll prob be quite expensive if i have to wait untill a day or two before i leave to book them.

What do you guys think?

Also, stupid question, but on the receipt you get from the post office, which is the code that you use to track your application online? Silly question I know, but I can't figure out which one it is :o

Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd err on the side of 25 days for booking the flights if I were you. The code that use for the tracking number starts with a 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yep - I agree - err on the side of caution.
    We have just been told we "should" be able to collect our passports in person on Friday morning (which is 22 days not including the fact they were supposedly working the whole weekend).
    The latest we can cancel our hotel and get any money back is Thursday at 3PM but they will not commit to anything more. I'm fuming at this point, but I'm not going to get into it as this isn't a rant thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

My OH & I applied for our passports via Passport Express on March 27th. They were registered on March 31st
    I received my passport on 5th May and my OH got his on 7th May..
    23 and 25 working days respectively

lucylu wrote: »
    My OH & I applied for our passports via Passport Express on March 27th. They were registered on March 31st
    I received my passport on 5th May and my OH got his on 7th May..
    23 and 25 working days respectively

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

looking for a bit of advice in relation to a passport application. i went into the post office lloking to send off the express post application on Tuesday of last week. They asked me when i needed it for. I said the second of June which was 20 working days from last Tuesday. I need the passort for my new born son as i am going abroad to get married in the first week in June. The people in the post office told me not to send away for it with them as there would be no chance of getting it back. they told me to print of my tickets and go into the passport office and apply for it in person. with work i will be unable to go until tomorrow. i ahve just counted teh days and there is only 15 working days including tomorrow up until the day before i go. am i wasting my time going in tomorrow to talk to them? i would prefer to go in and talk then be stuck on hold on a phone for a couple of hours.

I'd say give them a call - we got through today after holding for about 10 minutes.

Call 1890 426 888 (Don't use the other Dublin number as it's constantly engaged).

If you get the answering machine saying "We are sorry..." and that they are too busy to take the call, just hang up and try again straight away. I did this earlier and it's how I got through (after about 10 attempts).

Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Redbollock

quick quiry
    im currently leaving to country to move to london on the 10th of june
    my passport is out of date 19th august
    now my mother is going in tomorrow to see if she would have it in time
    ill have proof of my flight just wondering would they do anything about it +
    i rang the embassy today and mentioned that i would be leaving and they said that i could use my passport once its in date and apply over in london
    but i dont know wheter to risk of my mother going in and sending it away and me not getting it or the wit over in england anybody any tips

You don't need a passport to go to the UK, just identification.

Ryanair insist you must have one to fly with them , but I think Identification (i.e. driving licence) is enough for Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Missus' passport is gone 10 working days today. Needs it for June 5. And she'll kill me cause I did the booking, and added her in under her married name, but has her maiden name on her passport.

We were told we could bring a marraige cert with us, but we didn't want to take a chance on that working. The guy in the post office reckoned the turnaround was about 15 days. We're in Munster, so hopefully it's gone to Cork PPO as it seems that's a better bet.

• Advertisement

deadl0ck wrote: »
    You don't need a passport to go to the UK, just identification.

Ryanair insist you must have one to fly with them , but I think Identification (i.e. driving licence) is enough for Aer Lingus.

thing is havnt got a driving licence or any form of photo id

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Redbollock wrote: »
    thing is havnt got a driving licence or any form of photo id
    • Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
      • Valid Passport
      • Drivers licence with photo
      • International student card
      • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
      • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
      • Bus pass with photo
      • Work ID with photo
    • Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    • Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.
    http://www.aerlingus.com/i18n/en/htmlPopups/passport_visa_information.html#irluk

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Jomcc wrote: »
    Just wondering if the status was updated as time went on.......My daughters was registered on 7/4 so I was hoping it will arrive back this week or next...allowing for bank holidays. I see that the status is still same since it was received. Does this mean anything?

Just letting ye know that my daughter's passport arrived in post today which was approx 22 working days....I think.
    Status remained as "Application has been received and has been registered" until Friday last when it changed to sent out in post.

Hope this might be of interest to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Jomcc wrote: »
    Just letting ye know that my daughter's passport arrived in post today which was approx 22 working days....I think.
    Status remained as "Application has been received and has been registered" until Friday last when it changed to sent out in post.

Hope this might be of interest to someone.

Was that 22 working days from when you sent the application, or from when they received it?

Sent an email to them looking to change it from being posted out to allowing me to collect it in Dublin. They emailed me back saying that they'd put id down for collection in Molesworth St tomorrow. Now I don't know if that means it's simply marked down on the application and will arrive in Molesworth St when it's ready or [fingers, toes, knees, arms & legs crossed] it means that it's ready for me to pick up tomorrow! That'd be 17 working days from the date of receipt if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Was that 22 working days from when you sent the application, or from when they received it?

I sent it passport express on 6th April. They acknowledged receipt of it on 7th April. I received it in post on 10th May.........think it's actually 23 working days from day they received it.

Now, does anyone know status of ash cloud on 8th and 17th June.......:D:D

spent three hours in the passport office today. what a shower of a**'s. I had my booking for a flight to see if i could include it and she wouldnt even take it. how can a group of people like this cause so many people so much stress and trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

viztopia wrote: »
    spent three hours in the passport office today. what a shower of a**'s. I had my booking for a flight to see if i could include it and she wouldnt even take it. how can a group of people like this cause so many people so much stress and trouble?

That is unfortunate. The opposite of what my brothers experience was like. Was she in any way helpful at all?

as helpfull as tits on a bull, although she did look at the photo's of my son and say that he had nice hair..........

To be fair to them; flight details aren't part of/required for the application. You'll lose nothing by throwing them into a postal application [they probably just bin them I'd say] but she is under no obligation to accept them. Their reasons for strike and the strike itself are for another thread.

Fingers crossed for everyone who has submitted an application that they get it on time.

• Advertisement

if someone is coming behind you through a door you are under no obligation to hold it open for them. if someone says hello to you then you are under no obligation to say hello back. however to hold open doors and to be polite to other people is what makes us human. yes the woman in the passport office was under no obligation to take the booking but it would have showed some compassion to take it. i work in the private sector and every day i wonder will i have a job tomorrow, next week or next year. if i go on strike then my competitors will happily provide the service that i provide in my job. on the other hand the people working in the public sector.....

viztopia wrote: »
    if someone is coming behind you through a door you are under no obligation to hold it open for them. if someone says hello to you then you are under no obligation to say hello back. however to hold open doors and to be polite to other people is what makes us human. yes the woman in the passport office was under no obligation to take the booking but it would have showed some compassion to take it. i work in the private sector and every day i wonder will i have a job tomorrow, next week or next year. if i go on strike then my competitors will happily provide the service that i provide in my job. on the other hand the people working in the public sector.....

That part there serves no purpose to this thread. If you want to discuss the intricacies of the strike itself; start your own thread or contribute to the ones already started on the topic. If I'm being curt with you; it is because a thread like this could easily get derailed by posting something like you have above.

This one is for updates/advice on applying/getting a passport and its worked pretty well so far. It'd be nice to keep it that way. As I have said; even if you had been allowed to hand in the flight details they would likely have been binned or at best a note made electronically on the application.

I do wish you the best of luck in getting the passport on time, as I do to everyone who has applied myself included but debating the ins and outs of the strike is for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 petalbomb

hi just wondering if i need to go up to the passport office! i sent off my 6 month old sons passport and my daughters renewal by passport express on 14th April it was marked as registered since 15th April and has stayed the same since. Am starting to get worried now because we are flying out on sun 23rd may so i need them by next week. have emailed the ppo and have got no reply. got through to the office today and he said they are in balbriggan and he does nt know if pics of my son are ok. he said if i have not received them by next wed to give them a call back think i will be really worried by then. would it be worth going up to the office on Fri??

I wouldn't press the panic button yet; you're only 17 days into whats a 20-23 working day wait going by most accounts on this thread. I would give it until Monday next week before calling them or actually going into the office itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

My passport application was received on the 19/4. Since the 7th of May it has been listed as passport printed. Does anyone know how long it can stay in this status until the passport is posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

So I've been reading through this thread and think I might as well throw my own query out there.
    I applied for my passport via passport express on Thursday 6th of this month. Got accepted and registered the next day. I'm aware that it's taking a while what with the backlog and all, but I'm flying out on holidays on the 9th of June, and a little worried that I won't get my passport in time. How long have recent applicants been waiting for their passport?
    And if things are getting cut a little fine, is there anything I can do that might help the situation?
    :confused:

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    So I've been reading through this thread and think I might as well throw my own query out there.
    I applied for my passport via passport express on Thursday 6th of this month. Got accepted and registered the next day. I'm aware that it's taking a while what with the backlog and all, but I'm flying out on holidays on the 9th of June, and a little worried that I won't get my passport in time. How long have recent applicants been waiting for their passport?
    And if things are getting cut a little fine, is there anything I can do that might help the situation?
    :confused:

im flying out on the 10th of may and my mother went into the passpprt office for me today and piad and handed everything over and your man said that passport express is behind around two weeks, and that its a waste of time for people needing them within a month of them going abroad,
    your man said mine shoud be ready for collection on the 8th so im quite happy and its being collected aswell
    im flying out in 22days and if it was by post instead of collection id have a week later
    tip for anyone out there
    go into ppo and colelct it when ready

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dusty316

The office received my passport on April 22nd - that has given my application 21 working days before my passport is needed. I understand the office has an enormous backlog and with that I have no problem collecting the passport personally on the very last working day of which is needed namely next Friday (May 21st), however I hope that everything is okay with my application and if not I hope I'll have enough time to amend any errors that may occur. I have no problem taking the necessary time of work in order to gain my much needed passport. Flying out Sunday May 23rd.

Anybody have similar time deadlines and what is the best thing to do ... will the passport office reason with me if I was to go up to the office. What should I say??? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bailey18

dusty316 i have similar timeline but after yours. sent my sons passport to be renewed by passport express on 28th april. has been received and registered since 29th. travelling on may 30th. was getting worried so called. got through on phone today. they took note of travel details and told me that if i hadn't heard from them by the 24th of may to call them back. let us know how it goes. fingers crossed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Redbollock wrote: »
    im flying out on the 10th of may

You posted that on the 11th of May. Asking the passport office to process an application in -1 days is a bit much :).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement