Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm going to Paris next Friday and after checking in the Garda station I might need a new one as mine is a bit damaged.

I seeing it takes 0-5 days for one and is €150 if it's one day late I can't go do they usually get it to you before the 5 days?

Never being under so much stress in my life it's my girlfriends Christmas present possibly ruined she has being looking forward to it so much.

If you're over 18 and have your passport in hand, go to passportappointments.ie
    and book an appointment for a Rapid Renewal. Bring a conpleted application form and photo's, a copy of your travel arrangements, and depending on how badly your passport is damaged your original birth certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Malee wrote: »
    If you're over 18 and have your passport in hand, go to passportappointments.ie
    and book an appointment for a Rapid Renewal. Bring a conpleted application form and photo's, a copy of your travel arrangements, and depending on how badly your passport is damaged your original birth certificate.

I have an appointment for tomorrow.

It asked did I have travel arrangements before the 31st and the second one was before 13th February so I picked that one as I'm going on the 6th.

Here's my passport here: http://s4.postimg.org/55b7v5ood/passport.jpg

Ya can push the lamination through a bit it's got loose but other than that the passport is fine.

I'm praying I can get it by next Thursday as I'm going Friday morning at 6AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Friend of mine is flying on Friday evening. The application status says it will be issued on Thursday. Does that mean he has a chance of getting it in the Friday post? Has anyone had this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Hi,

I'm going to Paris next Friday and after checking in the Garda station I might need a new one as mine is a bit damaged.

I seeing it takes 0-5 days for one and is €150 if it's one day late I can't go do they usually get it to you before the 5 days?

Never being under so much stress in my life it's my girlfriends Christmas present possibly ruined she has being looking forward to it so much.

They can issue renewals within a minimum of 3 working days. They'll do their best to accommodate you. Don't get stressed about it.

First thing you need to ASAP is book an appointment on passportappointments.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Friend of mine is flying on Friday evening. The application status says it will be issued on Thursday. Does that mean he has a chance of getting it in the Friday post? Has anyone had this happen?

It is possible but it's a gamble. If it were me, I'd be making my way in to the nearest passport office to arrange collection on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

It asked did I have travel arrangements before the 31st and the second one was before 13th February so I picked that one as I'm going on the 6th.

Here's my passport here: http://s4.postimg.org/55b7v5ood/passport.jpg

Ya can push the lamination through a bit it's got loose but other than that the passport is fine.

On the basis of that pic, I'd travel with that.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    On the basis of that pic, I'd travel with that.

My friends Ma used to work in the passport office and I showed her there and she said I will be fine to fly with it so I'm just going to risk it hopefully if they do say anything its just that I need to get a new one soon before it gets more damaged.

Here's my passport here

Saw your photo: renewing your passport should not be a problem. They may wish to retain your old passport though if they consider it damaged enough.
    Bring the copy of your tickets with you and show them to the person at the counter also.

Thete is a chance, but I wouldnt rely on that. He better ring or e-mail and let them know he really needs it for then.
    And then arrange to collect it or ensure it gets posted that day.

My friends Ma used to work in the passport office and I showed her there and she said I will be fine to fly with it so I'm just going to risk it hopefully if they do say anything its just that I need to get a new one soon before it gets more damaged.

These electronic passports are generally OK to travel with, even if damaged.
    The only problem is immigration in the country you will be visiting.
    The USA is notoriously difficult when it comes to anything that does not fit their profile and may refuse you entry.
    Most other countries however accept it as it is.

• Advertisement

Malee wrote: »
    These electronic passports are generally OK to travel with, even if damaged.
    The only problem is immigration in the country you will be visiting.
    The USA is notoriously difficult when it comes to anything that does not fit their profile and may refuse you entry.
    Most other countries however accept it as it is.

Yes she said that if I'm going to Australia or USA then I would need a new one but for most places in Europe I should be fine.

Thanks for the help mate have being stressing big time as she is really looking forward to it and didn't want to ruin it for her.

Please god now I get through ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Yes she said that if I'm going to Australia or USA then I would need a new one but for most places in Europe I should be fine.

Thanks for the help mate have being stressing big time as she is really looking forward to it and didn't want to ruin it for her.

Please god now I get through ok.

Hopefully you will be OK but it is down to the airline on if you travel or not. Unfortunately passport control in Paris won't really be to pushed on the word of someone who used to work in the PPO.

In saying that from the image doesn't look to be much damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭castykidd

Hi Everyone,

So vain of my life and sods law, passport gone missing, flight out of dublin at 7am Friday.
    Have made an appointment for rapid renewal in Dublin tomorrow but I am living in Cork.

I was told that this is the only way to get passport in time but I 100% have had a same day passport done in the past from the cork office?
    Have they changed procedure recently or is it worth me queueing in cork?
    Surely they can send the passport down from dublin if need be.

Just I have my bus ticket booked, full days work and will have to travel to dublin and booka place to stay .

if any can elaborate that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

castykidd wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

So vain of my life and sods law, passport gone missing, flight out of dublin at 7am Friday.
    Have made an appointment for rapid renewal in Dublin tomorrow but I am living in Cork.

I was told that this is the only way to get passport in time but I 100% have had a same day passport done in the past from the cork office?

Just I have my bus ticket booked, full days work and will have to travel to dublin and booka place to stay .

I thought Lost or Stolen passports weren't eligible to be done in rapid renewal, because they have to do checks etc?

as long as it has been reported its fine they said. just gave me list of things to bring.
    Just dont understand why they cant do it from cork and fax details etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Hi Everyone,

Cork has no passport printing facilities. Rapid renewal can only be done in Dublin. You may have gotten an emergency travel document in Cork in the past but that is not a passport. Just go to Dublin and give yourself some peace of mind that you will get your passport.

Even if the Cork office could get you a passport it would have to be approved before 1pm today for you to have it for tomorrow. That's not going to happen so don't waste your time calling into the Cork office.

Cork has no passport printing facilities. Rapid renewal can only be done in Dublin. You may have gotten an emergency travel document in Cork in the past but that is not a passport. Just go to Dublin and give yourself some peace of mind that you will get your passport.

Even if the Cork office could get you a passport it would have to be approved before 1pm today for you to have it for tomorrow. That's not going to happen so don't waste your time calling into the Cork office.

thanks very much for that. would an emergency travel document not suffice for getting on and back from my trip im only going to austria. I also have copies of my original passport on file. I dont have any further travel plans until the summer.

thanks very much for that. would an emergency travel document not suffice for getting on and back from my trip im only going to austria. I also have copies of my original passport on file. I dont have any further travel plans until the summer.

No, the passport office have really tightened up on giving them out. They won't give you one just so you can go on holiday as it's not deemed an emergency. It has to be a genuine emergency (eg someone is dying).

The new passport card being launched in July would be handy for this kind of situation

AGC wrote: »
    Hopefully you will be OK but it is down to the airline on if you travel or not. Unfortunately passport control in Paris won't really be to pushed on the word of someone who used to work in the PPO.

In saying that from the image doesn't look to be much damage?

It's not that damaged at all the lamination can be pushed in a bit if you use a bit of force but when I put it back into place it stays in place.

No, the passport office have really tightened up on giving them out. They won't give you one just so you can go on holiday as it's not deemed an emergency. It has to be a genuine emergency (eg someone is dying).

The new passport card being launched in July would be handy for this kind of situation

Rang aircoach and Dublin airport who say they hand passports back to passport office of origin . Rang passport office and they told me all passports that are found are destroyed !!!

I think that is a disgrace . Oh I found this wallet . Me no good I'll destroy it instead of trying to return it to the owner..... how can this be considered a good policy ?? :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Rang aircoach and Dublin airport who say they hand passports back to passport office of origin . Rang passport office and they told me all passports that are found are destroyed !!!

I think that is a disgrace . Oh I found this wallet . Me no good I'll destroy it instead of trying to return it to the owner..... how can this be considered a good policy ?? :/

Because the details could have ended up in anyones hand.

AGC wrote: »
    Because the details could have ended up in anyones hand.

Identity theft. Someone could open a bankaccount with a credit card and you will eventually have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭johnogog88

another question lads.my girlfriend applied for her passport today in the office.she is flying friday at 7 and was told it would be ready after 2and she will have to collect at the office.i was then told that it will be made in ballbriggan which is closer to me than molesworth street.is there anyway of collecting at ballbrigan instead does anybody kno?thanks

johnogog88 wrote: »
    another question lads.my girlfriend applied for her passport today in the office.she is flying friday at 7 and was told it would be ready after 2and she will have to collect at the office.i was then told that it will be made in ballbriggan which is closer to me than molesworth street.is there anyway of collecting at ballbrigan instead does anybody kno?thanks

No, Balbriggan isn't a public office.

It's mainly for security purposes that they are destroyed. The passport numbers of lost passports are passed to Interpol in case they are being used in criminality.

thanks for help everyone, I found my passport !! so relieved!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I was bummed when I lost mine which had a ton of stamps in it at, of all places, Dublin Airport ten years ago. Then I found out that the Gardai had instructed the Passport Office to destroy all returned passports for security reasons.

This suited them as they didnt have to have staff occupied returning passports or answering queries about same and also if you lost your passport you have to stump the fee for a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Does anybody know where I can get my passport verified or certified?

I got told I need this done for work abroad then sent to the company but I have never heard of such a thing.

Many thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Does anybody know where I can get my passport verified or certified?

I got told I need this done for work abroad then sent to the company but I have never heard of such a thing.

Many thanks for the help.

Garda station. They photocopied mine and stamped and signed the copy and said that it was real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Garda station. They photocopied mine and stamped and signed the copy and said that it was real.

That's what i was thinking but just wanted to be sure before sounding like even more of an idiot!

Many thanks my friend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement