Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Info here on Dublin -> Glasgow flights being 7.49euro.

Might suit someone travelling soon,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I'm heading to Tenerife in July but my passport expires two days after I get back to Ireland. Will I be ok traveling back home?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

You could renew now to save any worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

No problem travelling back home.

Would you have a link to prove this so I can print it out just incase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Graceoleary

Hi all, first time poster. I am living in the UK and sent off my passport for renewal on 20/05/15 down at the Irish passport office in London with proof of travel as I am travelling to Turkey on 22/06/15. My passport was valid but the pages were a little water damaged so I renewed to be on the safe side. Checked the tracker today and it says my application is at Stage 2 and my target issue date is 18/06/2015!! I can't stop stressing because the 18th is a Thursday and I am flying early on the Monday morning so my only hope is that it will arrive either in the Friday or Saturday post and the Monday post will be too late! But this seems to risky to rely on it coming on the Friday/Saturday!! Was wondering if my application is approved am I able to fly to Dublin and collect it in person on the 18th? Or is there anyway the issue date can be made earlier to maybe the 15th? I won't be able to call the passport office till Monday due to the bank holiday so I am just looking for a little reassurance on here! I won't be able to sleep properly until this passport is in my hands!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I'm heading to Tenerife in July but my passport expires two days after I get back to Ireland. Will I be ok traveling back home?

You should not have a problem travelling home, but if anything happens and you are delayed for two days you may run into trouble.

Hi all, first time poster. I am living in the UK and sent off my passport for renewal on 20/05/15 down at the Irish passport office in London with proof of travel as I am travelling to Turkey on 22/06/15. My passport was valid but the pages were a little water damaged so I renewed to be on the safe side. Checked the tracker today and it says my application is at Stage 2 and my target issue date is 18/06/2015!! I can't stop stressing because the 18th is a Thursday and I am flying early on the Monday morning so my only hope is that it will arrive either in the Friday or Saturday post and the Monday post will be too late! But this seems to risky to rely on it coming on the Friday/Saturday!! Was wondering if my application is approved am I able to fly to Dublin and collect it in person on the 18th? Or is there anyway the issue date can be made earlier to maybe the 15th? I won't be able to call the passport office till Monday due to the bank holiday so I am just looking for a little reassurance on here! I won't be able to sleep properly until this passport is in my hands!!

Can you contact the embassy via mail or phone and inform them about your travel plans?

Malee wrote: »
    Can you contact the embassy via mail or phone and inform them about your travel plans?

Yeah I brought proof of travel with me to the embassy along with my application. The woman there included my itenary inside my application and placed it in a plastic folder and wrote the date I was flying on the front and highlighted it. I'm just 90% sure that if its issued and sent out in the 18th which is Thursday it won't arrive at mine until the Monday morning post which will be too late. If my application goes to stage 3 and is approved will I be able to fly over and collect it myself on the 18th or not? I'm just worried as I live in London and don't know if I'm allowed to do that

• Advertisement

Yeah I brought proof of travel with me to the embassy along with my application. The woman there included my itenary inside my application and placed it in a plastic folder and wrote the date I was flying on the front and highlighted it. I'm just 90% sure that if its issued and sent out in the 18th which is Thursday it won't arrive at mine until the Monday morning post which will be too late. If my application goes to stage 3 and is approved will I be able to fly over and collect it myself on the 18th or not? I'm just worried as I live in London and don't know if I'm allowed to do that

Im not 100% sure but i think it would have be collected in the embassy in London. Call up customer care Monday to double check.

Im not 100% sure but i think it would have be collected in the embassy in London. Call up customer care Monday to double check.

Thanks I will do. Do you know if my passport is made here in London or over in Dublin? Because if it's made in Dublin and I can only collect from London office then it doesn't help my situation at all because I doubt it will get from Dublin to London before I fly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Graceoleary: how did you apply? If you lodged your application via the London counter with proof of travel, you will have been given a target issue date, and your passport will most definitely issue in time for travel.

If you are concerned that it will not reach you by post, I would advise you to collect from the Passport Office in London, or have someone else collect it on your behalf. Why do you think you won't have it by the Monday after it's issued? Did you enclose a self addressed tracked envelope with your application to allow the Passport Office to return your passport by next day delivery?

If you applied via post, unfortunately UK postal applications take 6 weeks to process and they will not be expedited even if you do have proof of travel.

Passports are printed in a secure facility in Balbriggan but they won't expedite applications even if you turn up in Dublin.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Graceoleary: how did you apply? If you lodged your application via the London counter with proof of travel, you will have been given a target issue date, and your passport will most definitely issue in time for travel.

If you are concerned that it will not reach you by post, I would advise you to collect from the Passport Office in London, or have someone else collect it on your behalf. Why do you think you won't have it by the Monday after it's issued? Did you enclose a self addressed tracked envelope with your application to allow the Passport Office to return your passport by next day delivery?

If you applied via post, unfortunately UK postal applications take 6 weeks to process and they will not be expedited even if you do have proof of travel.

Passports are printed in a secure facility in Balbriggan but they won't expedite applications even if you turn up in Dublin.

Hi, I applied at the London passport office with proof of travel. My problem is that it my target issue date is the 18th of June which is a Thursday and I'm flying early On the following Monday (22nd) morning so I won't be at home when the post arrives on that Monday. So I'm worried that if they issue and post it on that Thursday (18th) that it won't arrive in the Friday or Saturday post and I will miss my flight. The passport office in London is closed on Saturdays and Sunday's so what's the chance it will get there by the Friday? Which is the day after my issue date :/ I did not include any envelope or next day delivery stuff in my application. I'm gonna ring up the passport office on Tuesday and see what they say :(

Hi, I applied at the London passport office with proof of travel. My problem is that it my target issue date is the 18th of June which is a Thursday and I'm flying early On the following Monday (22nd) morning so I won't be at home when the post arrives on that Monday. So I'm worried that if they issue and post it on that Thursday (18th) that it won't arrive in the Friday or Saturday post and I will miss my flight. The passport office in London is closed on Saturdays and Sunday's so what's the chance it will get there by the Friday? Which is the day after my issue date :/ I did not include any envelope or next day delivery stuff in my application. I'm gonna ring up the passport office on Tuesday and see what they say :(

More than likely your application was kept in London and will be dealt with by staff there. They use a standard issue time when you give them a proof of travel (I think 2 working days before, but I can be wrong here).
    I would definitely ring them and see if they are planning to post it out to you or if you were meant to collect it from there.
    You can also purchase a Special Delivery Envelope over the phone to avail of next day delivery if needs be.

If it's approved, produced, and sent in the diplomatic bag from Dublin to London on Thursday 18th, the Passport Office in London will have it by midday on Friday, which is why I suggested picking it up in the London Passport Office on Friday 19th.

Would like to say a MASSIVE thank you to Malee, Big Nipper and Fxotoole for your help!! I will call them first thing on Tuesday morning and find out where my passport is being made and go from there! Your reassurance will make me be able to get some sleep tonight! Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

If you're considering any of the big brand chains Stateside this summer, check out the links below for preferential rates. Not every hotel will discount on the dates you're looking at, but both of these links have delivered decent savings for me on more than a few occasions.

IHG's 'friends & family' rate is actually open to the public & hotels include the Holiday Inn, Candlewood Suites, Crown Plaza etc.

http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/global/corporate/friendsfamily?key=PxyOqu9bjcrG7738%252FYlthhIJ67afakIlMGRMGEDAqbc%253D&cm_mmc=DCE-_-FF-_-20100106-_-AM27164

Carlson Friends & Family (promo rate code - CARLSONF) is strictly speaking only available to those with solid ties to the Rezidor hotel group. The code will often bag you a room for $70 / $80.00 at a Radisson, Park Plaza or Country Inns & Suites in the US or €80 in Radisson properties in EMEA, but you may be required to provide details of a Rezidor employee name at check-in, though I've never been asked to do so.

http://www.radisson.com/friendsandfamily

http://www.clubcarlson.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 34 VixToons

Hey ppl, need some help as quick as ye can. I need to get a passport sorted quickly and I am wondering how quick is possible?
    It is more so needed so fast for booking reasons so if there is a way to apply for a passport and just get some temp thing until you get the real one that would probably work.
    I know there is passport express that says it takes 10 days but I know someone who had to wait 3 weeks. Is it worth taking a trip to dublin to get it sorted faster?
    I literally have no clue so if anyone can fill me in that'd be great, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

VixToons wrote: »
    Hey ppl, need some help as quick as ye can. I need to get a passport sorted quickly and I am wondering how quick is possible?
    It is more so needed so fast for booking reasons so if there is a way to apply for a passport and just get some temp thing until you get the real one that would probably work.
    I know there is passport express that says it takes 10 days but I know someone who had to wait 3 weeks. Is it worth taking a trip to dublin to get it sorted faster?
    I literally have no clue so if anyone can fill me in that'd be great, thanks!

You can only get a passport faster than passport express if you already have travel back or there are humanitarian reasons for accelerating the application process

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Passport express is ten working days

You won't get one quicker unless it's an emergency of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

More like 13 day now. Check with local Post Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not sure if this is the right place to ask, but can anyone recommend somewhere that does passport photos for a reasonable price (Dublin CC or southside).
    not good enough with technology to do DIY ones, and despise the booths, so was hoping to get somewhere that can do everything and make sure it fits all the criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 VixToons

ok thanks ppl

not sure if this is the right place to ask, but can anyone recommend somewhere that does passport photos for a reasonable price (Dublin CC or southside).
    not good enough with technology to do DIY ones, and despise the booths, so was hoping to get somewhere that can do everything and make sure it fits all the criteria.

There's one photo shop on the top of Dawson Street, Stephens Green side, that was used by the Passport Office to send people to who had really poor photograps. Not sure if it's in business still though.
    Generally pharmacies make pretty decent photographs these days. Once they look grand (not too dark/bright, shadows etc) on photo they should be fine for the Passport Office. The booths can be really poor allright, but most are still acceptable.

Personally I would go with a photo booth, as pharmacies tend to screw up and give customers photos that are overexposed, too dark, or too close/far away from the camera, and photo booths tend to get the lighting and position of people's heads/shoulders right most of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I find booths a bit hit and miss. Just don't use a Tesco Photo Me booth, they are absolutely dreadful. I'd probably go to a pharmacy myself. Be sure to have the photo guideline page from the passport application with you and check that your photo is a good match with the acceptable photos on there. Try and get them in colour as well. A lot of people send in black and white ones but there's no need. If you wear glasses I'd just take them off. Your eyes have to be clearly visible and glasses can complicate that with glare etc. Watch out for the photo being too bright as well, that's a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

Use a pharmacy that has one of those kiosks for printing photos. The kiosks can size up the photo pretty much perfectly for passport photos. You can see the photo before it is printed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Cant wait for your report.

Let it go.

As requested quick info then about how it looks in Poland.

1. Child born in Poland to non-Polish parents is not entitled to Polish citizenship and therefore not entitled to Polish passport.
    2. In case of application for naturalisation in Poland after fulfilling residency conditions, and submitting all documents - depending on complication of the case, process can be instant or take up to 1 months, and in case of severe complication it can take up to 2 months. That's a time limit prescribed by law.

And in the end, my son eventually got Irish passport today, so all worked in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Glad you got sorted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement