Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

nonstarter wrote: »
    you can keep your old passport if you pretend you lost it.
    :D

An yes, but if you do this more than once they might decide not to give you another one. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Update: Passport Express, posted 13.04.10, received & registered 14.04.10.
    No update on website since then.
    Currently at 22 working days (1 day less due to May Bank Holiday!).

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Zamboni wrote: »
    When I renew my passport, do I need to submit my old one in the application or is a photocopy of the photo page ok?

While the industrial action is going on, it is actually sufficient to include a photocopy and keep your old passport. See note 2 here:

2. Photocopy the photograph page of any existing passport being renewed, include with the application form and retain the existing passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

undo wrote: »
    While the industrial action is going on, it is actually sufficient to include a photocopy and keep your old passport. See note 2 here:

2. Photocopy the photograph page of any existing passport being renewed, include with the application form and retain the existing passport.

This is what made me ask the question in the first place. On one part of the DFA website it says to send in the original and then I saw the point you just posted on another section.
    I might just send in a photocopy and chance it. If it comes back I will re-apply with the original. Not in any particular rush.

Cheers undo

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

The situation is very simple: Normally, the original old passport is absolutely required (unless declared lost/stolen, of course). But due to industrial action, a photocopy is sufficient at this time. They have just not bothered to updated all parts of the website as this is a temporary arrangement.

• Advertisement

mrmac wrote: »

UPDATE: Website got updated at 13.45, and, at 22 days, my status has changed to "being checked"!

woooohoooooo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

UPDATE: Website got updated at 13.45, and, at 22 days, my status has changed to "being checked"!

SAME!!! Your application and my boyfriends must be in a box together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 petalbomb

same here!!!! at 13.45 yesterday changed to being checked and this morning it has changed to passport printed woohooooo!!!!!!:) yesterday was the 21 working day for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5 olafenbrau

Hi All,
    Just wanted to give my experience with the ESTA (Visa Waiver). We got my wives new passport on a friday for travel the next day to the US. I had the ESTA completed for her old passport no. When I realised her new passport no. was different I went online with the reference number and tried to update her application. However it was not possible to update her passport number. I left it be and when I went to the Airport we were not allowed to check in for her flight without the online ESTA. I told them the story and she said I just needed to fill out a new ESTA online for her new passport number. I understood that these ESTAs had to be completed at least 72 hours before travel but she said that didnt matter. I filled out a new ESTA online for her there and then on my Iphone (standing to one side of the queue) and she was then allowed to check in. So all was good in the end.

The passport office are working flat out to deal with the backlog of applications. That includes working Saturdays, in turns, and taking a day off during the week instead. I know this because I was called by a lady from the Dublin PPO, Saturday morning, about one of my applications. She explained everything in great detail, regarding difficulty scanning the signature, she was extremely helpful, and gave me a direct address to post a new signature sample. This should be with her on Monday, and the application will be processed and passport printed the same day!

The other application went through without issue, and was printed on Saturday.

Thumbs up to all the staff at the PPO, they really are doing their best! :)

• Advertisement

Having a fecking heart attack at this stage. Got an email back saying 22 days [today is working day 20 and it was 20 working days when I applied up and to about a week ago too] which puts me right at the deadline. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Send for passport by Passport Express on 22nd April. Registered as being received on 23rd April. Status changed today to "Passport is Printed" - 16 working days so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Does anyone know how much longer an application (renewal) will take when the it is sent via an Irish embassy abroad (Madrid in my case)?

There is a note that came with the form which says

"it will take several weeks for your application to appear on the system, as it has to pass a certain stage in the process in Dublin"

which worries me as I need the passport for late July.

Called the PPO today.

Got through to hold after about 7 attempts at 15.16pm and had my call answered at 15.41pm. Told the guy on the other end that I was basically looking to see what stage it was at/my chances of having it for Thursday/could I collect it in Dublin. He said; checking stage/hard to say but it was more likely than unlikely/yes. He took my phone number and said he'd made a note on my application.

Got a call back at 16.20 from a [really nice] guy telling me they were just going through the application now and if I'd like they could post it today and it'd still reach my home by Wednesday [which didn't suit as I'm currently in Dublin and it'd be an arse having to go down the country for it] but I said I'd prefer collect so he put it down to be collected after 1pm on Wednesday. So fingers crossed it gets to Molesworth St safe and sound on Wednesday and that'll be 22 working days for me as an fyi for those who are/have applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

If you look at previous posts here you will see that while they are not guaranteeing the 10 business days anymore they are coming pretty close to achieving it still. For the OP I would think you'll definitely be fine, for allyb it would depend when you sent it in.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055844705
    Anyone know what the turnaround time is now for Passport applications through Passport express? Thanks

Tracking status changed to 'Printed' as of 18.45pm.

Obviously the call did something for it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

amiable wrote: »
    Anyone know what the turnaround time is now for Passport applications through Passport express? Thanks

20-25 days.

This thread will be more useful to you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055861574

Lollymcd wrote: »
    SAME!!! Your application and my boyfriends must be in a box together!

xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just got the kids passports back via passport express, and they took exactly 20 Working days.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Just got the kids passports back via passport express, and they took exactly 20 Working days.

thats not bad considering
    thanks spook

• Advertisement

Passport arrived this morning in the post! :D
    That's 24 working days, from date received, allowing for -1 day for Bank Holiday.

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭buttonsflyie

Hi,

I got a holiday as a present for my birthday in May - I sent off my passport on the 7th of May and am travelling on the 25th. I am trying to get through to the passport office and no luck and trying constantly to phone them. I included a copy of my travel documents and a polite letter. Just wondering if I will have any luck?

I know I meant to get the passport done before it expired the end of March but with all that was going on I thought it was not a necessity as did not have plans to travel.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
    Buttons.

Use the method I outlined above for calling them;

Keep calling until you get on hold [clue: the automated guy won't be saying 'sorry...']

Then it could be 30 mins on hold. I was holding for 26 mins before I got talking to someone.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm not sure what they can do for you though as it'll only be 10 working days this Friday for you and the current processing time seems to be between 20-25 days. I'll doubt you can get it fast tracked wither unless you know someone in there. I would say prepare yourself for not getting and see it as a bonus if you do. I'd certainly be looking at cancellation processes as a plan b at this stage.

Good luck all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭buttonsflyie

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest feel a little deflated that you cannot get a passport to get out of your own country. If I asked for emergency one I would be told no as its not an emergency which I understand but still gutted if I do not get to go.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

so emergency passports are not possible? even if i trek to cork?

so emergency passports are not possible? even if i trek to cork?

I wouldn't completely rule it out but it is highly unlikely unless its for the 'genuine family emergency' as they state on the website. At the end of the day, you've nothing to lose by going down there and asking; all they can say is no. However I'd be going more in hope than expectation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bailey18

has anyone emailed the ppo and actually got an answer? if so how long did it take them? i've sent 2 and still no reply.

bailey18 wrote: »
    has anyone emailed the ppo and actually got an answer? if so how long did it take them? i've sent 2 and still no reply.

Yeah I got 4 replys off them. All on weekends strangely. I sent the emails during the week and any of them that were answered were answered on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seanbirkhead

Spook_ie wrote: »

Hi,
    Just wondering if you were keeping an eye on the status of the application online.
    My application is at the very first status (registered) for the last 17 working days. It still has to go through statuses "checked", "approved" , "printed" and "posted" according to the Foreign Affairs website.
    Just wondering if you know what sort of time scale it took your application to go through these stages as I'm starting to get concerned?

Thanks,
    Sean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bailey18

thanks. was beginning to think i was wasting my time. i'll keep trying so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement