Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

VixToons wrote: »
    Hey ppl, need some help as quick as ye can. I need to get a passport sorted quickly and I am wondering how quick is possible?
    It is more so needed so fast for booking reasons so if there is a way to apply for a passport and just get some temp thing until you get the real one that would probably work.
    I know there is passport express that says it takes 10 days but I know someone who had to wait 3 weeks. Is it worth taking a trip to dublin to get it sorted faster?
    I literally have no clue so if anyone can fill me in that'd be great, thanks!

Why do you need the passport for booking? Is it for the flights? You usually don't need to enter your passport details until it's time to check-in online.

Where are you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Flora12

Hi folks,

Has anyone had any luck getting a last minute deal (i.e. booking at the end of july) for August?? I have been looking at deals currently and they seem to be about 500pp which I will pay if I have to... but just wondering if I should hold out and try to get something last minute closer to August... any experiences or advice is appreciated!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 C2911

Turkish Airlines are doing deals to all over Asia right now.

Hong Kong from £250, Japan from £340. Thailand and Singapore with good prices as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I would love to find out answer to your question as well :)

• Advertisement

Proof would be payslips, bank statements or immigration stamps. You have to prove you have been living here for a least that amount of time before applying. Not just arrived off a flight and applied. Its Not really a passport question but dept of justice website should give you the info.

Proof would be payslips, bank statements or immigration stamps. You have to prove you have been living here for a least that amount of time before applying. Not just arrived off a flight and applied. Its Not really a passport question but dept of justice website should give you the info.

I think you didn't read the question at all...
    And dept of justice website doesn't give an answer to this question.

CiniO wrote: »
    I think you didn't read the question at all...
    And dept of justice website doesn't give an answer to this question.

Its says application for Naturalisation not an Irish passport, they are 2 different things.
    Reckonable residency means that it is a period of time that you have been living here and can prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vivab13

Hi guys I submitted passport for renewal today (Passport express) and I need it for the 15th of June. I calculated 11 working days being Friday the 12th of June... should I be worried? Should I have gone for the 'emergency' travel option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yes you should be worried, they're currently at 13 working days and there's a bank holiday this weekend. Did you enclose travel details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Even if they did enclose travel details, the application will be sitting in a box for the majority of the 11 working days, waiting to be checked. The checker might not see the proof of travel until it's too late.

Best to send your flight confirmation email to the email address on the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

As requested quick info then about how it looks in Poland.

1. Child born in Poland to non-Polish parents is not entitled to Polish citizenship and therefore not entitled to Polish passport.
    2. In case of application for naturalisation in Poland after fulfilling residency conditions, and submitting all documents - depending on complication of the case, process can be instant or take up to 1 months, and in case of severe complication it can take up to 2 months. That's a time limit prescribed by law.

And in the end, my son eventually got Irish passport today, so all worked in the end.

You're welcome

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    You're welcome

I can't recall saying thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vivab13

fxotoole wrote: »
    Even if they did enclose travel details, the application will be sitting in a box for the majority of the 11 working days, waiting to be checked. The checker might not see the proof of travel until it's too late.

Best to send your flight confirmation email to the email address on the form.

Thanks, I have emailed them and also got in touch with them on twitter, hopefully one of these will get it processed in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

Random question, my passport doesn't have have 'Eire or the harp etc on the front etc as traveling through Australia and using it on nites out faded it. No one could tell its an Irish one unless they opened it up. I haven't had any trouble flying with it but would it warrant getting a replacement just incase ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Alt J wrote: »
    Random question, my passport doesn't have have 'Eire or the harp etc on the front etc as traveling through Australia and using it on nites out faded it. No one could tell its an Irish one unless they opened it up. I haven't had any trouble flying with it but would it warrant getting a replacement just incase ?

It's not the cover that counts but what's inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Alt J wrote: »

Many people have some sort of pouch around their passport which covers up the cover entirely. Maybe you could purchase a cover with a harp on it? It would be cheaper than a new passport, and won't make any difference in the end! (Customs check your datapage, not the passport cover, unless they have reason to believe your passport is a forgery).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Yes you should be worried, they're currently at 13 working days and there's a bank holiday this weekend. Did you enclose travel details?

Unfortunately enclosing travel details with a passport application is useless, as this will only be seen when the application lands on someone's desk, which is near the end of the turn-around time. So basically nobody is aware that it's there until it may be already too late!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

I can't recall saying thank you :D

Precisely

Precisely

Hardly any reason to be grateful for such poor service passport office provides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Hardly any reason to be grateful for such poor service passport office provides.

I don't think that's what Shoveller is talking about.

Anyway, you got your child's passport in time for your trip so you don't have much to gripe about.

I don't think that's what Shoveller is talking about.

Anyway, you got your child's passport in time for your trip so you don't have much to gripe about.

Exactly. I won't anymore. Passport is here, and we are sorted so all is good now.

Exactly. I won't anymore. Passport is here, and we are sorted so all is good now.

Are you willing to say the service you got from the passport office was not poor?

You got your passport and the reason for the delay was explained to you. Repeatedly.

Try to show a bit of humility and graciousness when you move to a new country.

To be frank if I was dealing with you I would not be in a huge rush.

You got your passport and the reason for the delay was explained to you. Repeatedly.
    It was explained to me repeatedly here on boards.
    So - thank you boards.ie and all the posters who explained it to me, including you SHOVELLER :)
    But it wasn't explained by passport office - rather opposite - it was said passport takes normally up to 15 working days, which was extremely misleading.
    Try to show a bit of humility and graciousness when you move to a new country.
    I was wondering if you are going to say that...
    And I would show a bit of humility and graciousness if it was me who applied for Irish citizenship and passport and was granted it.
    But it's about my son's passport, who was born here, and according to current law is perfectly entitled to Irish citizenship and Irish passport, the same as most other people born here. I don't need to be gracious to anyone for that, neither does he.
    All I can say I'm disappointed by poor level of service passport office provides.

To be frank if I was dealing with you I would not be in a huge rush.
    Very nice of you. Luckily you weren't.
    Are you willing to say the service you got from the passport office was not poor?
    I would never say in the first place it was poor, if they publically informed people how long it takes or might take to get a passport and what it depends on.
    Infomation about it taking normally up to 15 days is extremely misleading.

I would never say in the first place it was poor, if they publically informed people how long it takes or might take to get a passport and what it depends on.

This number of days thing that you're hung up about is only a guideline. You could have your passport before 15 working days, you could have it after 15 working days. What it depends on....the time of year/how many people there are ahead of you and whether or not you have all your documentation in order. You can't say firmly with first time applications (for reasons previously outlined) that it will take only x number of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

It was explained to me repeatedly here on boards.
    So - thank you boards.ie and all the posters who explained it to me, including you SHOVELLER :)
    But it wasn't explained by passport office - rather opposite - it was said passport takes normally up to 15 working days, which was extremely misleading.

Wrong.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/passport-express/current-turnaround-times/
    It should be remembered that the stated turnaround period above indicates a performance level at a particular time. It is not a stated guarantee of service for applications. While the Passport Service is committed to achieving its business goal of issuing passports on time and in compliance with the Passports Act, 2008, its performance in this regard is subject to the level of available resources to deal with the varying demand on services throughout the year.

I was wondering if you are going to say that...
    And I would show a bit of humility and graciousness if it was me who applied for Irish citizenship and passport and was granted it.
    But it's about my son's passport, who was born here, and according to current law is perfectly entitled to Irish citizenship and Irish passport, the same as most other people born here. I don't need to be gracious to anyone for that, neither does he.
    All I can say I'm disappointed by poor level of service passport office provides.

Show us the part of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 2004 which states that your son is perfectly entitled to Irish citizenship on the basis of having been born in Ireland after 2005 to EEA (non-Irish citizen) parents?

I disagree. They are very clear when dealing with the public that the stated timelines are only targets, and that there are no guarantees (the only exception being for people who make an appointment - they are guaranteed a passport within a certain timeframe).

Also in the vast majority of cases, they issue passports to most applicants in time for travel. Even when they are not able to do so, they go above and beyond to ensure that applicants can travel (return previous in-date passport, provide people with alternative travel options which don't require a passport, etc).

All in all, I'd say they provide an exceptional service, and they don't get the credit they deserve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement