Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

when will my application number register on the tracker?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭madamab

Can anyone give me advice as I cannot get through on the number and an email not been responded to.

I have left this last minute the reason being my brother died a few weeks ago and my parents were booked to go away. My Mother did not want to go really but Dad asked me and my boys if we would go along and my Mother was delighted. We have had 2 deaths and a serious illness in my family up until May and to be honest we all need a break. Dad booked our flights and then I made the discovery that my passport was out of date.

I have made an appointment for Thursday and can not get an earlier one at all - do I have any chance at all??

Many thanks

Ab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Techmaster wrote: »
    when will my application number register on the tracker?

Depends.

If you are in the UK and you posted the application in, rather than lodging it via the London Passport Office counter, it can take up to 10 working days to appear on the tracker.

Likewise if you are abroad and you sent it in to your local Embassy/Consulate, it can take some time to appear on the tracker depending on how busy your local Embassy/Consulate are.

If you sent in your application via a Northern Ireland Post Office, it can take at least two working days to be registered.

Applications sent in from Post Offices in the Republic of Ireland ought to be registered the next working day.

Also bear in mind that the tracker itself is only updated 3 times a day, at (I think) 07.45, 13.45, and 19.45.

madamab wrote: »
    Can anyone give me advice as I cannot get through on the number and an email not been responded to.

I have left this last minute the reason being my brother died a few weeks ago and my parents were booked to go away. My Mother did not want to go really but Dad asked me and my boys if we would go along and my Mother was delighted. We have had 2 deaths and a serious illness in my family up until May and to be honest we all need a break. Dad booked our flights and then I made the discovery that my passport was out of date.

I have made an appointment for Thursday and can not get an earlier one at all - do I have any chance at all??

Many thanks

Ab

Sorry for your recent losses and the troubles your family has been through.

Without knowing what date your flights are booked for, or what option you clicked on when making the appointments, it's hard to say.

Generally speaking, if you booked an appointment, they will endeavour to ensure a passport is issued to you prior to your travel date.

many thanks FxOToole

I am booked for Monday 15th at 7am and my appointment is this coming Thursday 11th at 12.30 and I booked this appointment a week ago which was the earliest one I could get. Do you think based on this information that I would be ok?

Kind Regards

Ab

• Advertisement

madamab wrote: »
    many thanks FxOToole

I am booked for Monday 15th at 7am and my appointment is this coming Thursday 11th at 12.30 and I booked this appointment a week ago which was the earliest one I could get. Do you think based on this information that I would be ok?

Kind Regards

Ab

If you have had waited until Wednesday at 12.30, and then booked a Rapid Renewal appointment for Thursday, you would have been guaranteed to have your passport in time for travel. From the information you've provided it sounds like it's not a Rapid Renewal appointment, it's just a regular 3 to 10 working day turnaround. It will take a minimum of 3 working days to issue your passport, so you might not be guaranteed to have your passport in time for Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

Hope someone can help me out here. We are heading on hols on june 27th and only realised yesterday that one of the kids passports expires while on hols. I have the form filled in and stamped etc but just after been to Post Office and they tell me that Its a risk to send it via Passport express as I only have 13 working days left before it needs to be back. I have emailed the passport office and am awaiting a reply and have tried but so far been unsuccessful in getting through on the phone.

Should I just send it in via passport express for now and just keep trying until I get someone on the phone or is this too risky.

Thanks in advance

Oh I see - thank you for your advice, do you think I should cancel my Thursday appointment so and do as you say tomorrow and make a rapid renewal appointment?

Many thanks AB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Hope someone can help me out here. We are heading on hols on june 27th and only realised yesterday that one of the kids passports expires while on hols. I have the form filled in and stamped etc but just after been to Post Office and they tell me that Its a risk to send it via Passport express as I only have 13 working days left before it needs to be back. I have emailed the passport office and am awaiting a reply and have tried but so far been unsuccessful in getting through on the phone.

Should I just send it in via passport express for now and just keep trying until I get someone on the phone or is this too risky.

Thanks in advance

You'd be better off booking an appointment if you can get one, as you are running a risk. At least if you lodge the application via the public counter, you are guaranteed to have a passport in time for travel. Nothing is guaranteed with Passport Express.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

@fxotoole Thanks for the reply. that sounds like a good idea.

will my birth cert be sent back to me at all? renewing a passport, first time adult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RoscommonAbu

Hi, I'm 17 and looking to go on a lads holiday this summer. I mentioned it to my parents and they disagreed. They then went and took my passport from my room while I was sleeping and have hidden it and refuse to give it back until the end of summer. Are they aloud to just take my identity document?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Hi, I'm 17 and looking to go on a lads holiday this summer. I mentioned it to my parents and they disagreed. They then went and took my passport from my room while I was sleeping and have hidden it and refuse to give it back until the end of summer. Are they aloud to just take my identity document?

More or less because you are not an adult in the eyes of the law yet. You can't apply for another passport either. You need their consent.

My target date is June 30th. Flying out July 3rd. Should I be okay?

My target date is June 30th. Flying out July 3rd. Should I be okay?

Assuming it's not an application for a first passport for a baby whose parents weren't born in Ireland / the UK, you should be fine. Generally speaking those applications tend to take the longest to process.

Who actually owns the passport? My parents or me? I can't find information on this anywhere I have looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Neither of you, its government property :) However as you are a minor, its their right to hold it. Who knows you might be planning to run away to join ISIS and they want to protect you!

Hahah I'm looking to go to Ibiza. I have it back in my possession.

• Advertisement

Who actually owns the passport? My parents or me? I can't find information on this anywhere I have looked.

Passports are the property of the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade. It says so on the inner cover of the passport.

Your parents are your legal guardians until you reach 18 years of age, so legally there is nothing that you or the Passport Service can do unfortunately.

Hahah I'm looking to go to Ibiza. I have it back in my possession.

Good luck boarding a plane as a minor with no legal guardian present :P

fxotoole wrote: »
    Assuming it's not an application for a first passport for a baby whose parents weren't born in Ireland / the UK, you should be fine. Generally speaking those applications tend to take the longest to process.

Its a renewal, but first time adult passport. I included my old passport and all birth certs/docs too, would that be okay for getting it by the target?

Ryanair allows unaccompanied minors over 16 years of age. I'm going with two other adults by the way.

Its a renewal, but first time adult passport. I included my old passport and all birth certs/docs too, would that be okay for getting it by the target?

You'll get it by the target date, if not a couple of days before the target date (assuming the form was completed correctly, and all docs are in order)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

My passport is due to expire in May 2016. I've accepted a job in Hong Kong, which is contracted until June 30, 2016. Is renewing it in this case just the same? I'll need to get it renewed before I go over, I need to have a passport that is valid for the duration of my contract. Will they give me an additional one that starts the date my current one expires; will they replace my current one right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I've just sent off two applications for my son and daughter. They are 18 and 20 so first time adult applications. I just included their previous passports. Should I have sent their birth certificates too?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Just read post number 6565 which answers my question above. Thanks Malee :)

My passport is due to expire in May 2016. I've accepted a job in Hong Kong, which is contracted until June 30, 2016. Is renewing it in this case just the same? I'll need to get it renewed before I go over, I need to have a passport that is valid for the duration of my contract. Will they give me an additional one that starts the date my current one expires; will they replace my current one right now?

They won't give you an additional passport. They'll issue you with a new passport that is valid from the date that It is created.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

They'll replace your current one right now. You will lose whatever time is left on your current passport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement