Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

That'll be grand as well. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 suzysue

I need to get 2 new passports and 1 renewal. All childrens passports. I need them for 9th July so I am going to make an appointment with passport office. Do I need to make an appointment for each application or will the one appointment cover all 3 applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

For anyone looking for Renewal, applied on 29th, been rang this morning ,told ready for collection Tuesday :)

So 11/12 working day day turnaround

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

My mum's target date is 30th june. Her flight is the same day. Does the target date mean the date it's readyor when you should have it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

My mum's target date is 30th june. Her flight is the same day. Does the target date mean the date it's readyor when you should have it???

Date it's ready. Factor in 1+ days for shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

One for the forward planners this.

Amalfi coast hotel with good reviews on Tripadvisor, with rates as low as €45 for a double in April / May next year (even less with Facebook promo detailed on site). Upgrades to rooms with a balcony & sea views available too for not much more.

http://www.hotelpanoramamaiori.it/en

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g194806-d316766-Reviews-Hotel_Panorama-Maiori_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

hi, i am in a serious spot of bother at the moment....

i am due to fly from ireland to the uk this friday for a weekend away with herself... hotel prepaid and flights obviously pre paid.... however we were meant to go this weekend but had to put back a week due to family committments.

anyway long and short of it my passport is expired the 18th and im flying the 19th back the 21st. due to cost of hotel / change of flights, it being end of the month i am pretty much broke until midnight friday when i am being re imbursed work expenses....

long and short of it all i cant really afford to spend €200+ travelling to dublin for emergency passport and i cannot get the time off of work either....

have i any hope at all of getting onto the plane and back, like i will literally be shot by my gf if we cant go, been a really tough year and been looking forward to this for months!

Has anyone checked in online and "gotten away with it" i dont want to take that chance and i do not want my flights to be cancelled i would much rather be up front and honest... i only realised the passport issue las week after i changed the flights....

i have trid speaking with ryanair and point blank they are saying no they will not accept my drivers licence etc?

can anyone please help as I am in a desperate spot here....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭tphase

If you say nothing, they probably won't even notice the expiration date (they barely even look at the photo usually)

If the expiration date is noticed, they will likely try to refuse you boarding the plane but you might still get on by standing your ground.
    Happened a friend of mine in a similar situation a couple of years ago. He started by pointing out that a valid passport is not required for travel between Ireland and that the expired passport is still a valid form of ID and as such, he should be allowed on. After all, he was the same person identified by the passport which was acceptable to them a week previously. He reckons it was the last sentence that swung it for him - plus the fact that he didn't get bolshy or rude.

Other option is to act dumb, pretend you didn't realise it had gone out of date and plead with them. Also point out you are the same person as you were yesterday when it expired, all with a big stupid smile on you face.

If you get that far, on the way back you simply point out (if it's noticed) that it was accepted on the way over 2 days previously and therefore it should be accepted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

all you can do is chance it - but if you get caught you've no comeback at all

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

tphase wrote: »
    If you say nothing, they probably won't even notice the expiration date (they barely even look at the photo usually)

If the expiration date is noticed, they will likely try to refuse you boarding the plane but you might still get on by standing your ground.
    Happened a friend of mine in a similar situation a couple of years ago. He started by pointing out that a valid passport is not required for travel between Ireland and that the expired passport is still a valid form of ID and as such, he should be allowed on. After all, he was the same person identified by the passport which was acceptable to them a week previously. He reckons it was the last sentence that swung it for him - plus the fact that he didn't get bolshy or rude.

Other option is to act dumb, pretend you didn't realise it had gone out of date and plead with them. Also point out you are the same person as you were yesterday when it expired, all with a big stupid smile on you face.

If you get that far, on the way back you simply point out (if it's noticed) that it was accepted on the way over 2 days previously and therefore it should be accepted now.

I'd go with this option, very good points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Granny73

Just after some advice...my handicapped brother is due to travel next Monday 22nd June, we are in the north of Ireland, his passport (renewal) was sent express a couple of weeks ago, have now found out via the tracker its at stage 2 of 6 today. I have attempted to phone the passport office (not taking calls) have emailed (no reply just yet). I have managed to book an online appointment for Thursday this week. Would I be best to travel down to Dublin & queue tomorrow without an appointment, or what should I do to get this in time & will they give it to me or do I need to take him along with me? Any advice welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

another thing might be to point out that on other routes where theres no immigration issues an expired passport is accepted
    https://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions/regulations-traveldocumentation/
    (and UK internal also used to be, but seems not to be any more)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Granny73 wrote: »
    Just after some advice...my handicapped brother is due to travel next Monday 22nd June, we are in the north of Ireland, his passport (renewal) was sent express a couple of weeks ago, have now found out via the tracker its at stage 2 of 6 today. I have attempted to phone the passport office (not taking calls) have emailed (no reply just yet). I have managed to book an online appointment for Thursday this week. Would I be best to travel down to Dublin & queue tomorrow without an appointment, or what should I do to get this in time & will they give it to me or do I need to take him along with me? Any advice welcome!
    Tweet them.
    Their twotter is famtastic at replying and getting sorted.

For renewal, i was stage 2 up until last friday, am stage 5 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Granny73 wrote: »

There is absolutely no use in going to the passport office in person if an application is already in the system, as they will not be able to do anything for you!
    Best bet is to ring till you drop, tweet and/or e-mail with his barcode and a copy of his travel arrangements. Once you get someone to reply they will pass it on to Customer Care who then will look after it, and are quite good in getting passports out in time for travel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

i am due to fly from ireland to the uk this friday for a weekend away with herself... hotel prepaid and flights obviously pre paid.... however we were meant to go this weekend but had to put back a week due to family committments.

anyway long and short of it my passport is expired the 18th and im flying the 19th back the 21st. due to cost of hotel / change of flights, it being end of the month i am pretty much broke until midnight friday when i am being re imbursed work expenses....

long and short of it all i cant really afford to spend €200+ travelling to dublin for emergency passport and i cannot get the time off of work either....

have i any hope at all of getting onto the plane and back, like i will literally be shot by my gf if we cant go, been a really tough year and been looking forward to this for months!

Has anyone checked in online and "gotten away with it" i dont want to take that chance and i do not want my flights to be cancelled i would much rather be up front and honest... i only realised the passport issue las week after i changed the flights....

i have trid speaking with ryanair and point blank they are saying no they will not accept my drivers licence etc?

I flew with Ryanair yesterday and everyone's passports were getting a good inspection. It depends on who you get on the gate on the day. You may get someone who is very vigilant or you may get someone not so vigilant. It's up to you if you want to chance it. A passport isn't required for travel between the UK and Ireland but Ryanair insist on it for some reason.

I'd say make an appointment in Molesworth Street. If it's just a normal renewal all you need is your completed form, photos, most recent passport and proof of travel. The passport office accept credit card so if you have one it's a way to push out the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adrian2468

Passport expected issue date is 23rd of June and I fly out on the 26th will I have it on time? Is the 23rd the day I get it or day its sent to me? Should I ring them any advice would be great thanks ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You need to fill in your passport details when checking in online. Knowingly falsifying an expiry date is not a good idea.

To fly on Ryanair between Ireland and the UK a valid passport is required. The other airlines flying those routes do not. Nor does the ferry. Think outside the box.

I'm flying out the 26th of June and passport is due to be issued the 23rd of June will I get it ? Is the 23rd the day I get it or the day it will be sent to me,,? Any advice be great ☺

Adrian2468 wrote: »
    I'm flying out the 26th of June and passport is due to be issued the 23rd of June will I get it ? Is the 23rd the day I get it or the day it will be sent to me,,? Any advice be great ☺

If everything is OK with the application there's a good chance you will have it well on time. But this also depends on numerous factors; it it a renewal, first time application, lost passport, child passport, etc etc.
    It's pretty hard to say. Check again towards the end of this week.

If my passport is due to be issued the 23rd of this month is it possible to ring the passport office and organize to collect it that day does anybody know thanks ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Adrian2468 wrote: »
    If my passport is due to be issued the 23rd of this month is it possible to ring the passport office and organize to collect it that day does anybody know thanks ☺

Drop in to the passport office or call them and they will prioritize for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lcor83

Hi all, in need of advice. Passport office have had my application since the 4th and I'm travelling this Sunday the 21st. The online tracking is still saying I am not due to get it until the 24th and it's still at stage 2 of 6 . I have sent on my travel itinerary too but still no word. Can't get through and nobody is answering my emails. Really stressed

Lcor83 wrote: »
    Hi all, in need of advice. Passport office have had my application since the 4th and I'm travelling this Sunday the 21st. The online tracking is still saying I am not due to get it until the 24th and it's still at stage 2 of 6 . I have sent on my travel itinerary too but still no word. Can't get through and nobody is answering my emails. Really stressed

If someone was in contact with you you should hear something back tomorrow or Thursday, if not you will need to keep Tweeting, Mailing and Ringing until you get someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 theresa400

Hi Am now at stage 3....is this where they might find something wrong with the application form ???? Cant relax till I get this passport in my hands :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Passports are made in Balbriggan, and I presume posted out from there. There is no public access to the office, they wouldn't even take a completed application there from me before, had to go queue in the post office in Balbriggan so it could get posted...
    and pay an Post 15 quid or so for a 10 working day service that took 12 working days...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 theresa400

Panic over, checked tracker...on stage 5 ..being printed , thanks be to god :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ring them and you can arrange to collect it from their office in the City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Tweet them.
    Their twotter is famtastic at replying and getting sorted.

For renewal, i was stage 2 up until last friday, am stage 5 today.

+1

The twitter machine worked for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Granny73

Just to update my query earlier this week, I did travel to the Dublin passport office on Tuesday, I am glad I did as we were unable to get any response by phone or email and my brother is due to travel this weekend. They told us to come back Thursday it should be ready & we then got a phone call yesterday to say we could collect it today. I would advice anyone in a similar position to GO IN PERSON to the Passport Office in Dublin (we didn't need an appointment) and speak to them as it will still take them a couple of days to get it sorted. DONT depend on emails being read as I had done all that and got nowhere!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement