Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

hey guys, I applied for passport by passport express on 10th June, I travel on 23rd June to uk and leave from uk on 30th June to go to Majorca until 12th July, then return to uk on 12th and to Dublin on 13th. My passport expires on 6th July. According to the passport website, the expected return date of the new passport is Tuesday 30th June. Now my brother is coming over to meet me in Majorca on 7th July, so the question is, will the authorities allow me into Majorca if the expiry date on the current passport, expires before I am due to leave the island?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If they ask, say you're attending a wedding and are going home after 2-3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Probably not, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Idbatterim wrote: »
    hey guys, I applied for passport by passport express on 10th June, I travel on 23rd June to uk and leave from uk on 30th June to go to Majorca until 12th July, then return to uk on 12th and to Dublin on 13th. My passport expires on 6th July. According to the passport website, the expected return date of the new passport is Tuesday 30th June. Now my brother is coming over to meet me in Majorca on 7th July, so the question is, will the authorities allow me into Majorca if the expiry date on the current passport, expires before I am due to leave the island?

Have you tried putting in your API details for your flight from the UK to Spain? Unless you falsify the details I expect that the application will be rejected, and you won't even get on the flight. If you do try to fiddle it, you can expect to be prevented from travelling by the airline when you try to check in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

Just ask the passport office on twitter, they get back to you very very quick. They start to reply to tweets at 10am and go till 5pm and they really are reasonable.

Can't say this often about any Irish department but the passport twitter is a excellent service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,650 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In theory if you don't checkin for your return flight from Majorca and wait to checkin until you get the new passport you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'm just applying for a new passport. Lost mine moving house a while back and only need this one for getting married next year, so no rush. It's asking me for proof of name and proof of address though, and saying they both need to be different documents. Here's where the problem lies. I have a bank statement here for proof of address and I also have a letter from the Midwifery Led Unit in Cavan with my name and the same address on it. Would these be acceptable? None of the utilities are in my name and I have no other letters in the house that were addressed to me specifically (any official post has been about my daughter, and is always addressed to the Parents).
    Also, the statement is for January of this year, would that be an issue? We went paperless and I would have to apply to have another sent out to me. Just trying to sort things so I can get it sent off today with my partner's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Andreeeaaaaaaa

If my passport's target issue date is the 3rd of July does that mean I'll have it that day or they'll send it out that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I'm just applying for a new passport. Lost mine moving house a while back and only need this one for getting married next year, so no rush. It's asking me for proof of name and proof of address though, and saying they both need to be different documents. Here's where the problem lies. I have a bank statement here for proof of address and I also have a letter from the Midwifery Led Unit in Cavan with my name and the same address on it. Would these be acceptable? None of the utilities are in my name and I have no other letters in the house that were addressed to me specifically (any official post has been about my daughter, and is always addressed to the Parents).
    Also, the statement is for January of this year, would that be an issue? We went paperless and I would have to apply to have another sent out to me. Just trying to sort things so I can get it sent off today with my partner's.

The two documents you mention above will be fine, as long as they are originals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Hi, in a complete rut at the moment. 2 of our passports have 5 months left on them, and we were travelling to Malaysia (requires 6 months) which we had previously not known, and somehow Aer Lingus in Cork failed to notice it which has cost us quite a lot. We are now due to fly back to Ireland from Amsterdam to sort our passports.

Questions is, how long would it take to renew the passport? We were planning on going to the passport office in person with all of our travel plans and details in hope that this could possibly speed up the process? Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Why would it be up to Aer Lingus to notice? The onus is on you to ensure your passport is valid for travel and most people would check to ensure this prior to departure.

As for renewing quickly, you can make an appointment to get one. The details are here... https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/

Eponymous wrote: »
    Why would it be up to Aer Lingus to notice? The onus is on you to ensure your passport is valid for travel and most people would check to ensure this prior to departure.

As for renewing quickly, you can make an appointment to get one. The details are here... https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/

Heat of the moment thing, have spent 6 hours running back and forth in Schipol airport, Amsterdam. Do you reckon it'll be renewed within 10 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Yup. They're pretty good at sorting out stuff like this, but you'll pay a premium for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 An airline will usually only enforce passport requirements when there is a risk that they will have to fly you back if you are refused entry. As you were flying in the first instance to Schipol, that risk didn't arise so they happily gave you a boarding card.

Yup. They're pretty good at sorting out stuff like this, but you'll pay a premium for it!

Premium is fine. Tickets are too expensive to not travel!

Premium is fine. Tickets are too expensive to not travel!

Try and book a Rapid Renewal appointment via www.passportappointments.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Daved2006

Hi, well panic has already set in and every day without an update is stressful, I am travelling to the Far East in August and I need to apply for my visa immediately. I have tried, twitter, calling the number every day for the past 2 weeks and about 50 emails with no response. I am hoping somebody on the board can offer some advice. My story is a bit complicated so I will try to make it as concise as possible.

I live in Germany and applied for a passport renewal in Nov 2014 through the Embassy in Berlin, Dec no passport and in contact with Dublin it was complete and due to be posted any day to the Embassy. Contacted Berlin late Dec as was travelling back for Christmas and was getting worried it would not arrive in time. Berlin very helpful said they would post a temporary passport that I could use so either way I would go home.

I was also told by Berlin that I should send the temp PP back when ready and they would then post the new passport as soon as they received it. Posted the temp PP May 27th this year and got a letter back saying that due to a change in the law Dublin would not accept the witness statement of a separate sheet, which it was and I was required to fill out a new application except section 9, or photos or any other fees.

At this point I thought my passport was in Berlin and I once I sent back the new application they would post it from there. No, after a few weeks it was very difficult to contact Berlin and I was told it was being processed in Ireland, so that must mean a brand new passport right?

When I first applied the original tracking number worked, now the new tracking number does not work from the new application form and so I have no way of getting updates even through Berlin as they are not taking calls.

I have no idea what to do now or how much longer it will take. Should I fly to Dublin next week ? I could do without the extra expense but it’s that or lose my entire holiday, will they see me if I just show up with my proof of travel. Can anybody please offer advice as I am getting desperate and don’t know what to do. Thanks

Daved2006 wrote: »
    Hi, well panic has already set in and every day without an update is stressful, I am travelling to the Far East in August and I need to apply for my visa immediately. I have tried, twitter, calling the number every day for the past 2 weeks and about 50 emails with no response. I am hoping somebody on the board can offer some advice. My story is a bit complicated so I will try to make it as concise as possible.

I live in Germany and applied for a passport renewal in Nov 2014 through the Embassy in Berlin, Dec no passport and in contact with Dublin it was complete and due to be posted any day to the Embassy. Contacted Berlin late Dec as was travelling back for Christmas and was getting worried it would not arrive in time. Berlin very helpful said they would post a temporary passport that I could use so either way I would go home.

I was also told by Berlin that I should send the temp PP back when ready and they would then post the new passport as soon as they received it. Posted the temp PP May 27th this year and got a letter back saying that due to a change in the law Dublin would not accept the witness statement of a separate sheet, which it was and I was required to fill out a new application except section 9, or photos or any other fees.

At this point I thought my passport was in Berlin and I once I sent back the new application they would post it from there. No, after a few weeks it was very difficult to contact Berlin and I was told it was being processed in Ireland, so that must mean a brand new passport right?

When I first applied the original tracking number worked, now the new tracking number does not work from the new application form and so I have no way of getting updates even through Berlin as they are not taking calls.

I have no idea what to do now or how much longer it will take. Should I fly to Dublin next week ? I could do without the extra expense but it’s that or lose my entire holiday, will they see me if I just show up with my proof of travel. Can anybody please offer advice as I am getting desperate and don’t know what to do. Thanks

Your application is more than likely dealt with in Dublin as the majority applications from embassies are, but I would not advise you to go to the expense on travelling to Dublin (you must have another passport I presume?) as you can get the same service via other means.
    Twitter seems to be responsive, otherwise keep calling them until you get to speak to someone. Either the embassy or the Passport Office in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

My passport was posted this afternoon, but tracking number is not live. Normal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Techmaster wrote: »
    My passport was posted this afternoon, but tracking number is not live. Normal?

Yup.
    The An Post tracking codes usually go live somewhere in the early hours of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Daved2006

Malee wrote: »
    Your application is more than likely dealt with in Dublin as the majority applications from embassies are, but I would not advise you to go to the expense on travelling to Dublin (you must have another passport I presume?) as you can get the same service via other means.
    Twitter seems to be responsive, otherwise keep calling them until you get to speak to someone. Either the embassy or the Passport Office in Dublin

Well basically after I got in touch in with the embassy I stressed I also needed to travel early July within Europe and they told me there was wasn't any need to send the temp PP back (sigh), so they sent it back to me. As luck would have it I travel back from Europe on the day the temp passport expires which I hope does not leave me stateless. Really what a mess, what type of service is this where you cannot contact them or receive any type of response.Its more annoying the fact that you can send them emails and them having a phone number rather than them just notifying folk they are not taking support queries. Incredible.

Well basically after I got in touch in with the embassy I stressed I also needed to travel early July within Europe and they told me there was wasn't any need to send the temp PP back (sigh), so they sent it back to me. As luck would have it I travel back from Europe on the day the temp passport expires which I hope does not leave me stateless. Really what a mess, what type of service is this where you cannot contact them or receive any type of response.Its more annoying the fact that you can send them emails and them having a phone number rather than them just notifying folk they are not taking support queries. Incredible.

At this time of the year they have as much staff as possible assigned on actually checking applications, and only a handful of Customer Care staff are dealing with urgent queries. Dogged does it in this case.

There was an article in the Irish Independent today, not that this applies to you but it explains a bit of why things are the way they are:

http://m.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-talk/how-to-renew-your-passport-31326510.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Why did you wait until peak season to send back the temporary passport you should have returned much earlier in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

quick question I put in my son's passport for renewal on the 17th of last month, been tracking it ever since and it has been on stage 2

two days ago it went to stage 3

now back to stage 2

I've emailed to ask what's going on but no reply, & when i call the contact number they say they are too busy to take calls, - which is a bit of a joke tbh considering how much they charge

has anyone any experience of this happening before?

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    quick question I put in my son's passport for renewal on the 17th of last month, been tracking it ever since and it has been on stage 2

two days ago it went to stage 3

now back to stage 2

I've emailed to ask what's going on but no reply, & when i call the contact number they say they are too busy to take calls, - which is a bit of a joke tbh considering how much they charge

has anyone any experience of this happening before?
    got a short and sweet reply from them at last thru email

"It is just part of our internal process. We try to pick out those who are renewing."

what does this even mean?

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    got a short and sweet reply from them at last thru email

"It is just part of our internal process. We try to pick out those who are renewing."

what does this even mean?

It means that they are prioritising passport renewal applications over people who apply for a passport the first time.

Malee wrote: »
    It means that they are prioritising passport renewal applications over people who apply for a passport the first time.

thanks for your answer, but why would this mean that they move the tracking stage back from 3 to stage 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

As you applied via Berlin, you need to deal with Berlin with regard to your new passport application. The Dublin office will not entertain you. Is there no way you can drop in the Embassy there in person and speak to the passport officer there?

Have you tried the Embassy's Twitter account? @IrlEmbBerlin ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement