Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Daved2006 wrote: »
    As luck would have it I travel back from Europe on the day the temp passport expires which I hope does not leave me stateless.

You won't become stateless on foot of your passport expiring. You would become stateless if your citizenship was revoked, and you had no other claim to citizenship of another country through some other means. The process of the minister revoking citizenship, as I understand, would take months if not years, and the person in question would be given ample notice and opportunitities to appeal. It's not as simple as becoming stateless because your passport has expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    got a short and sweet reply from them at last thru email

"It is just part of our internal process. We try to pick out those who are renewing."

what does this even mean?

It was being checked by a human (stage 3), who noticed a document wasn't scanned in, or perhaps the way the photo was cropped was too far or too close to generate a biometric image, so they sent it back to Stage 2 to be scanned in again.

As a result, you're seeing it go from stage 3 to stage 2. It will soon go back to stage 3 and hopefully be approved. It's part of their internal process, and an everyday occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

Finally July, I wonder when we hear on the passport cards :) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

Launching in July sometime, was just looking for a rough date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

fxotoole wrote: »
    It was being checked by a human (stage 3), who noticed a document wasn't scanned in, or perhaps the way the photo was cropped was too far or too close to generate a biometric image, so they sent it back to Stage 2 to be scanned in again.

As a result, you're seeing it go from stage 3 to stage 2. It will soon go back to stage 3 and hopefully be approved. It's part of their internal process, and an everyday occurrence.

Thanks very much for your reply

I think I know what the problem was

his mother put in the wrong number on the "old passport number" section of the form & i had to cross it out & write the correct one next to it

so I'm guessing the computer couldn't read it and so was manually entered

its back up to 3 now so can breathe a bit easier , hopefully it moves on to 4 soon ..

Again thanks for your answer, I wish the passport service could've emailed me a reply like that in simple terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ecsquared

Hi

Complicated scenario here....

Travelling to France with Ryanair on Saturday. Discovered last night that my 8 year old daughters passport expired last week. Doh moment.
    If I manage to get a rapid renewal appointment for tomorrow, what are the chances of getting a renewed passport tomorrow, i.e same day?
    There are no other extenuating circumstances, just carelessness on my part and the holiday 24 hours later

there is an alternative and here is where it potentially gets complicated :)
    My daughter is a dual national, has a valid US passport as well. US citizens can travel to France on holiday for up to 90 days without a visa so I cant see any issue with getting into France with it.
    Similarly US citizens can travel to Ireland for 90 days on holiday without a visa, does of you who might be on the know on this might give your opinion if:
    a) Ryanair will have any issue with her travelling on a valid US passport to France? We will also carry the expired Irish one. Both passports also say place of birth "ireland"
    b) Ryanair will have an issue with her traveling on a valid US Passport from France to Ireland?
    c) Passport control in Cork will have any problem with us coming home and entering on a valid US passport?

I think on point c there might be an issue but I'd imagine the worst it would be is dont do it again. I mean I cant see them refusing us entry when technically a US citizen is allowed to come in on holidays. I suppose again technically they could argue that you have to be showing a return ticket out of Ireland but within 90 days but they barely even glance at your passport in Cork usually.... and whats the alternative, land the family and refuse the 8 year old who is actually an Irish citizen, albeit on an expired passport. But I dont want to be seen as taking the piss, they have a job to do and rules are rules and it is my fauly.

My biggest concern is actually point b above, Ryanair in France coming up with some reason why there is a problem.....

Of course if people believe that we can actually secure a renewed passport tomorrow then I'll do that but if theres no chance then there is no point tearing up to Dublin if they are just not going to be able to do it in time because we dont meet the death or family emergency criteria.

Yes, Yes I know, shoulda just been more awake to the passport renewal date then this wouldnt be an issue. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ecsquared

Thanks again Fred

I have a rapid renewal appointment for tomorrow morning.
    Does anyone know what my chances are of getting a passport tomorrow?

My only criteria is proof of travel on Saturday.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Daved2006

Why did you wait until peak season to send back the temporary passport you should have returned much earlier in the year?

The reason I waited was because back in December Dublin confirmed that the new passport was about to be sent any day to the embassy as it had been produced. Then the emabassy confirmed to me that all I had to was send the temp back and to the emabssy and they would just swap it for the new one which would be waiting there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Daved2006

fxotoole wrote: »
    As you applied via Berlin, you need to deal with Berlin with regard to your new passport application. The Dublin office will not entertain you. Is there no way you can drop in the Embassy there in person and speak to the passport officer there?

Have you tried the Embassy's Twitter account? @IrlEmbBerlin ?

I would have travelled to Berlin but it is at least 6 hours away. Finally got a response via twitter from PP Office Irl that it is ready to be dispatched to the embassy. Now my next problem, I am presuming that I will be ok to travel to Hungary from Germany with a temp PP that expires on the day I leave. My colleagues that travel quite often to Hungary tell me you wont be required to show a passport as it is schengehn to schenghen. Also from what I gather online there does not have to be any extra period of validity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Does delivery of the new passport using Passport Express require a signature or will it just be dropped in the letter box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Does delivery of the new passport using Passport Express require a signature or will it just be dropped in the letter box?

No signature required.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

Just discovered kids passports expire in Sep and we're due to fly to France for 2 weeks on Sun. Will this be an issue does anybody know??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No signature required.

Thanks. Last minute panic! It arrived this morning no problem. Posted on June 17th so not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

None whatsoever.

This re my post? If so, many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Hey all, my wife and I will be travelling on Sept 6th. My wife's passport is out of date and my own is due to expire in December so we will both need to get new passports. What I'm wondering is if anyone knows if there is a back log or delay to the issuing of passports or would the 14 day express arrive in 14 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Hey all, my wife and I will be travelling on Sept 6th. My wife's passport is out of date and my own is due to expire in December so we will both need to get new passports. What I'm wondering is if anyone knows if there is a back log or delay to the issuing of passports or would the 14 day express arrive in 14 days?

That depends on how many people apply around the same time as you. Application volumes are starting to ease at the moment. Apply this week and you should have plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

That depends on how many people apply around the same time as you. Application volumes are starting to ease at the moment. Apply this week and you should have plenty of time.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

The Wife wrote: »
    Just discovered kids passports expire in Sep and we're due to fly to France for 2 weeks on Sun. Will this be an issue does anybody know??

For travelling within the EU the passports only need to be valid until the day you return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Hi folks, I sent in my renewal application last week (received on the system 2nd July). I stupidly only realised my passport expired two weeks ago and we are travelling on the 18th July. Still within the 10-11 working days guidelines but this obviously is out the window at the moment!! I only realised too late that you could make an appointment in the office to put in the application, I was under the impression this was for immediate emergencies. So a few mistakes but what's done is done, need to work with what I've got now!

The online passport tracking estimated issue date is 22nd July which is obviously too late for me. Is it too early for me to start contacting the office etc or am I better leaving it a few days to see if the application progresses first?

Digs wrote: »
    Hi folks, I sent in my renewal application last week (received on the system 2nd July). I stupidly only realised my passport expired two weeks ago and we are travelling on the 18th July. Still within the 10-11 working days guidelines but this obviously is out the window at the moment!! I only realised too late that you could make an appointment in the office to put in the application, I was under the impression this was for immediate emergencies. So a few mistakes but what's done is done, need to work with what I've got now!

The online passport tracking estimated issue date is 22nd July which is obviously too late for me. Is it too early for me to start contacting the office etc or am I better leaving it a few days to see if the application progresses first?

Too early. Contact them around Friday next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

This hotels . com promo-code still valid today :)

Might help someone,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Hi folks,

Quick question from England. I sent my three year old's Irish passport renewal application to the embassy in London recently. According to the passport application tracking website, it was received on 16/06/2015 and has a target issue date of 23/07/2015.

That's all fine by me, but it's been sitting at stage 2 of the application process for around two weeks now. The website states it should be around 4 working days only.

Should I be worried or does this seem normal? Ironically, we're due to travel to Ireland next week, on 16/07. My child won't need a valid passport for entry to Ireland (and back to Britain), so I'm not concerned about that, however we are going to mainland Europe on 04/08. We definitely need her passport in time for that.

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

Quick question from England. I sent my three year old's Irish passport renewal application to the embassy in London recently. According to the passport application tracking website, it was received on 16/06/2015 and has a target issue date of 23/07/2015.

That's all fine by me, but it's been sitting at stage 2 of the application process for around two weeks now. The website states it should be around 4 working days only.

Should I be worried or does this seem normal? Ironically, we're due to travel to Ireland next week, on 16/07. My child won't need a valid passport for entry to Ireland (and back to Britain), so I'm not concerned about that, however we are going to mainland Europe on 04/08. We definitely need her passport in time for that.

When the tracker says that applications normally take x amount of days at each stage, this refers to passport express applications in Ireland only.

Postal applications from Britain take 6 weeks to process at the moment, so you won't see the application moving until about a week before the target issue date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement