Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 andyclfc

This post has been deleted.

Have you ever heard of anything outside of this? Surely someone else has been stupid enough to have done this besides me? :) Can you suggest any alternative? Can they issue a temporary passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

coylemj wrote: »
    How did that happen? Do the airline check-in desks have the ability to read the chip? I note that this was not a US flight - what airline was involved? Are all of the check-in desks in Dublin able to read the chip in the passport or do certain airlines have handheld scanners for that purpose at check-in?
    Think it was either Westjet or Air Canada, no other info I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Only in life and death situations only.

Nope. Friend realised on Monday of last week that her son's passport would expire when they were away. Went in on Tuesday without an appointment and had passport same day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 3 andyclfc

athtrasna wrote: »
    Nope. Friend realised on Monday of last week that her son's passport would expire when they were away. Went in on Tuesday without an appointment and had passport same day

Just back from Dublin. Was there for 9 this morning. No problem whatsoever. Had to hang around for the passport and collected it at around 3pm. Pity you weren't the one giving me "advice" on the forum last night. I might have slept :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1 takyon

I'm eligible for a UK passport. Is there any advantage to having one of these alongside an Irish passport (I'm born and raised in Ireland)? Moving to London in September so I just thought I'd ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

takyon wrote: »
    I'm eligible for a UK passport. Is there any advantage to having one of these alongside an Irish passport (I'm born and raised in Ireland)? Moving to London in September so I just thought I'd ask.

You'll be entitled to vote in all elections and referendums? Also a British passport gets you into 3 more countries visa free :p.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/the-most-powerful-passports-in-the-world-10194423.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Plus they have de facto right of abode, which no other EU nationality living in the UK have. Basically it means you may live in the UK without any immigration controls imposed on you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_abode_(United_Kingdom)#Irish_citizens_and_the_Common_Travel_Area

edit: If you are living in the UK with an Irish passport, you can also invoke EU law instead of being forced to use UK law. This can be handy if you, for example, were to marry a non-EU national. You could use EU law to obtain an EU residence card for your spouse. A British citizen living in the UK who married a non-EU national would not be allowed to do so, and would not be able to invoke EU Law. The difference is that the granting of an EU Residence Card is a right under EU Law that cannot be refused, whereas the UK can refuse to grant residence under UK Law if a British citizen were to apply for the equivalent under UK Immigration Law (as opposed to EU Law).

I think Irish citizens get free fees in UK universities as well, so an Irish passport holder will be treated equally to a UK passport holder in terms of universtiy fees, whereas a non-Irish EU national would have to pay fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

fxotoole wrote: »
    Plus they have de facto right of abode, which no other EU nationality living in the UK have. Basically it means you may live in the UK without any immigration controls imposed on you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_abode_(United_Kingdom)#Irish_citizens_and_the_Common_Travel_Area

edit: If you are living in the UK with an Irish passport, you can also invoke EU law instead of being forced to use UK law. This can be handy if you, for example, were to marry a non-EU national. You could use EU law to obtain an EU residence card for your spouse. A British citizen living in the UK who married a non-EU national would not be allowed to do so, and would not be able to invoke EU Law. The difference is that the granting of an EU Residence Card is a right under EU Law that cannot be refused, whereas the UK can refuse to grant residence under UK Law if a British citizen were to apply for the equivalent under UK Immigration Law (as opposed to EU Law).

I think Irish citizens get free fees in UK universities as well, so an Irish passport holder will be treated equally to a UK passport holder in terms of universtiy fees, whereas a non-Irish EU national would have to pay fees.

Without meaning to be pedantic, the right of Abode for Irish citizens in the UK is very much de jure not de facto. It is currently incorporated in s1(3) Immigration & Nationality Act 1971. I fear "de facto" may acquire the common usage of "literally".

• Registered Users Posts: 7 oKeeLinGo

Hey guys
    I would really appreciate any help because I'm having a bit of a freaker at the moment.
    Basically I'm flying out on 30th of July & my passport is expired. It was maybe 2weeks ago I realised & decided I'd go and get the super rush passport (3days I think?) (passport my only form of ID and needed it for nights out lol).
    Anyways, now I read that first time adult applicants can't avail of this super rushed passport service :/ so I don't know what to do now really :(
    I'm planning to go in tomorrow to the passport office and basically beg but I'm not sure if I'm too hopeful.

Can anybody give me so advise on what to do? Is there a chance they'll let me use the super rushed passport service (sorry don't know the correct name)? Has there been experiences where people just haven't been able to go on their holiday before due to not having a valid passport?

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

oKeeLinGo wrote: »
    Hey guys
    I would really appreciate any help because I'm having a bit of a freaker at the moment.
    Basically I'm flying out on 30th of July & my passport is expired. It was maybe 2weeks ago I realised & decided I'd go and get the super rush passport (3days I think?) (passport my only form of ID and needed it for nights out lol).
    Anyways, now I read that first time adult applicants can't avail of this super rushed passport service :/ so I don't know what to do now really :(
    I'm planning to go in tomorrow to the passport office and basically beg but I'm not sure if I'm too hopeful.

Can anybody give me so advise on what to do? Is there a chance they'll let me use the super rushed passport service (sorry don't know the correct name)? Has there been experiences where people just haven't been able to go on their holiday before due to not having a valid passport?

Thanks guys

If your passport has expired you're not a first time applicant so the exclusion would not apply!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 oKeeLinGo

Marcusm wrote: »
    If your passport has expired you're not a first time applicant so the exclusion would not apply!

Expired passport was a child's passport though as I've just turned 18. I think I'm considered a first time adult applicant because of this.

I'd be great if you were right though!

oKeeLinGo wrote: »
    Expired passport was a child's passport though as I've just turned 18. I think I'm considered a first time adult applicant because of this.

You're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Sent my daughters passport renewal by passport express and according to the tracking its at stage 2 of the process. Expected issue date is July 30 but she is due to travel July 27...

Is it worthwhile to go into office or try for a rapid renewal appointment tomorrow? As far as I know her application won't even be in the passport office but will be at a processing centre? Is there anything they could do for us at this stage?

Thanks for any advice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Sent my daughters passport renewal by passport express and according to the tracking its at stage 2 of the process. Expected issue date is July 30 but she is due to travel July 27...

Is it worthwhile to go into office or try for a rapid renewal appointment tomorrow? As far as I know her application won't even be in the passport office but will be at a processing centre? Is there anything they could do for us at this stage?

Thanks for any advice...

I was tracking my passport which was due on July 29

Just checked the website yesterday and it is printed and basically ready for posting and so I expect to receive it either tomorrow or Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I know this question has come up here a few times before but all those threads were a few years old, so hopefully someone can put my mind to rest with some up-to-date info: does my passport need to be valid for 90 days after entry to an EU country or not? Im travelling next week, flying into Germany and out of Croatia and hitting a few countries in between. My passport expires in mid October - will that be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Of course it will be ok.

Passport only has to be valid on the dates of travel.

Many thanks Fred!

dubsgirl wrote: »

Thanks for any advice...

You won't be facilitated with an appointment if you already have a live application in the system. July 30th is based on a 15 working day turnaround. Renewals are currently taking 10/11 working days for the ROI, so assuming you're in the Republic, I'd imagine that passport will issue around 23rd/24th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lukasz28

Hello I fly 26 of July and still waiting for passport my daughter nobody won't help me i send application second of June express passport and from last 5 weeks is still on stage 3 nobody call to me what's happen could you help me

Anyone any idea how long Passport express is taking? They received my renewal form yesterday but it's showing as an estimated finished date of August 10th which is 4 days after I'm due to travel. Checking the site and the average is 10/11 days so wondering if it's worth worrying about just yet

Anyone any idea how long Passport express is taking? They received my renewal form yesterday but it's showing as an estimated finished date of August 10th which is 4 days after I'm due to travel. Checking the site and the average is 10/11 days so wondering if it's worth worrying about just yet

Depends on whether it's a renewal/first time/passport express/northern Ireland express application?

The site is updated weekly so it is the best guide as to how long applications are taking.

The target issue date is based on 15 working days; it's entirely possible that the passport will issue before that date

• Registered Users Posts: 3 reidono1

Hi guys,

I applied for a new passport for my daughter (she's 3). I filled in the form and got all relevant information signed. I sent her previous passport, her birth cert. and MY passport as identity. I posted all the documents through Passport express.

2 weeks later I received a package with my daughters new passport. All good, no problems.

THEN I notice that MY passport has been cancelled even though it's not due to expire until 2022!!

Surely this is a mistake? Can someone please provide me with some information as we are going on holidays in the next 3 weeks and unless I get this resolved we'll need to cancel the holidays :(

reidono1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I applied for a new passport for my daughter (she's 3). I filled in the form and got all relevant information signed. I sent her previous passport, her birth cert. and MY passport as identity. I posted all the documents through Passport express.

2 weeks later I received a package with my daughters new passport. All good, no problems.

THEN I notice that MY passport has been cancelled even though it's not due to expire until 2022!!

Surely this is a mistake? Can someone please provide me with some information as we are going on holidays in the next 3 weeks and unless I get this resolved we'll need to cancel the holidays :(

This is indeed a mistake. You would need to go to customer care in either the Cork or Dublin offices to get it resolved, or post your cancelled passport back to them with a cover note explaining what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

reidono1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

You'll be issued with a free replacement with the same expiry date of the passport that was cancelled.

Just so you know you don't need to send in your passport with your child's application if they are renewing their passport. You only need to send in your passport or birth cert if it's a child's first passport application. It's just so the passport office can see that your child is eligible for Irish citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 WhitePhantom

Hi all,

I'm travelling to France on Saturday and only just discovered that my passport has expired.

I've checked on the passport appointments website and there are no appointments left for today - I see that appointments are made available at 12.30 each day for the following day, and I'm wondering whether I should wait till 12.30 today and hope to get an appointment tomorrow or is there anything to be gained by travelling there today and hoping for the best?

Thanks!

WP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

I was in the passport office a few weeks back and a bloke came in, also in a panic ! he was traveling at 5am the next morning. The woman just asked him " Do you have EVERYTHING.photos/cash/form/garda stamp"?..whatever else and just said...... ahh come on through here and we will get you sorted!!

I was very impressed! just walk in and ask...! good luck

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement