Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Would this explain the delay in processing applications?

They had to move the printing machine out of Molesworth Street over the weekend. The machine is quite big so it takes a bit of time to move.

filmfanb wrote: »
    so what is the turn around on replacement passports/new ones. i heard it was quite quick this time of the year. says six on the site but i know never to follow that.

Turnaround time is quite good at the moment so I'd trust the 6 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 midmadman

My mother's sister has unfortunately died and needs to go to funeral but a few problems.
    1)Her passport is expired a few years
    2) we can't locate the passport

Where do we need to start to get one (the funeral will be Sunday week) I'm aware will probably need to travel to passport office but when documents will be needed?
    I'm guessing birth certificate and marriage?
    To make matters worse she as no forum of photo Id only a old passport from the 70s.
    Would appreciate help please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

As you say the passport office. Note that appointments for the passport office are booked online these days.
    https://www.passportappointments.ie/

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_irish_passport.html

I'm sure having:
    - A new passport form with photos counter signed by the police
    - Flights booked
    - Death notice
    - The docs you mention + old passport

will all help move things along

• Registered Users Posts: 82,649 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sorry to hear of your loss.

She may have her social services card if she gets the pension, this has photo ID on it, this will help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

midmadman wrote: »
    My mother's sister has unfortunately died and needs to go to funeral but a few problems.
    1)Her passport is expired a few years
    2) we can't locate the passport

Where do we need to start to get one (the funeral will be Sunday week) I'm aware will probably need to travel to passport office but when documents will be needed?
    I'm guessing birth certificate and marriage?
    To make matters worse she as no forum of photo Id only a old passport from the 70s.
    Would appreciate help please

Where is she going? If it's the UK then she doesn't need a passport (unless she flies with Ryanair).

• Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

Turnaround time is quite good at the moment so I'd trust the 6 days.

im in london so im gonna add another week onto that :)
    although my photo is ****

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

so what is the turn around on replacement passports/new ones. i heard it was quite quick this time of the year. says six on the site but i know never to follow that.
    you mean 6 weeks, not days
    My last renewal took 7 or 8 weeks (ended up having to get an emergency passport from the embassy to tide me over) and that was in the early spring so not prime time onset of Summer holidays or anything.

Its one of the main reasons we just got the kids a german passport as the irish passport office for folks abroad is just a pure joke.

There is no passport express in the UK, so you may get put in the unimportant (i.e. non passport express pile)

On the other hand, as I already said, the passport card is a separate process done over the mobile (so the passport express bias doesnt kick in) based on your existing passport, and folks in the Uk are getting theirs within a week aparantly.

EDIT:
    yup, current UK waiting time is 6 weeks for a passport
    https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/great-britain/passports/top-passport-questions/current-processing-time/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

There is no passport express in the UK, so you may get put in the unimportant (i.e. non passport express pile)

Yes there is. There's two post offices in the UK that offer passport express in Britain. Details on www.embassyofireland.co.uk

Also if you drop your application in to the London Passport Office counter with proof of travel they will work towards your travel date

But will the passport express accept replacement passport applications as I lost mine.

The main concern is I need it by Christmas. The passport was thrown out by someone during my mothers wake(i think my nephew who is a nightmare). Really want to get away and spend time with my dad over the holidays.

10 + weeks should be enough time surely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Marcusm wrote: »
    The charge for mine hasn't reversed but it's been "assigned to checker" for 8 days now! I guess the new ones get stacked on top (figuratively) putting mine to back of the queue.

Mine is now 15 days "Assigned to Checker"; surely that's a mistake. Anyone else seeing theirs being upodated. I applied on the first day, 5 October and my passport is only 2 years old.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Mine is now 15 days "Assigned to Checker"; surely that's a mistake. Anyone else seeing theirs being upodated. I applied on the first day, 5 October and my passport is only 2 years old.

Passport Card turnaround time is approx. 20 working days, as advised on https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/track-your-passport/.

EDIT: Are counting 15 calendar days? The Passport Service count working days (i.e. business days). If the launch was on 5th October, that was 14 working days ago, so your application couldn't have been assigned to checker for 15 working days.

Is your dad in Ireland? If so you don't need a passport coming from London (unless you decide to fly with Ryanair).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Yuri Checkov

Is it even legal for those resident outside Ireland to apply for a passport when they return on holidays?

If you think your photo is **** then the checker probably will too. I'd probably get new ones to save it being rejected for new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

fxotoole wrote: »
    Passport Card turnaround time is approx. 20 working days, as advised on https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/track-your-passport/.

EDIT: Are counting 15 calendar days? The Passport Service count working days (i.e. business days). If the launch was on 5th October, that was 14 working days ago, so your application couldn't have been assigned to checker for 15 working days.

The blooming passport card service hasn't been going for 15 working days so I could never have meant that!

My point, simply put, is that there seems to be a latent inefficiency or lack of standardisation that mine has been assigned to checker since 7 October while there are clear reports of applications made since that date having been fulfilled since that date. Given the novelty of the passport card system, this is anecdotal evidence of a poorly specified system.

If you think your photo is **** then the checker probably will too. I'd probably get new ones to save it being rejected for new ones.

more of a case that i look like i have been on the piss for a week before it was taken.

my dad lives in clare and no other form of photo id so cant fl :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I got mine in the post today. The 5 year expiry is ridiculous. My new passport card has an expiry of Oct 2020. My passport book expires Jul 2022. That's just idiotic. Basically a passport book will cost €80 for 10 years, the card €70 (2 x €35) to cover the same period. Why can't the card be valid for 10 years like the new driver's license cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread here on a Ryanair 20% off sale... book by Monday.

Might help someone,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Is it even legal for those resident outside Ireland to apply for a passport when they return on holidays?

It's not illegal but there is a reason why there are 2 different forms. One for Irish residents and one for those outside of Ireland so the answer is no:

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/can-i-apply-for-a-passport-in-ireland-on-holiday/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    It's not illegal but there is a reason why there are 2 different forms. One for Irish residents and one for those outside of Ireland so the answer is no:

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/can-i-apply-for-a-passport-in-ireland-on-holiday/

Yeh right, they don't track that at all ... just like all those people that voted in the last referendum that weren't supposed to :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Yeh right, they don't track that at all ... just like all those people that voted in the last referendum that weren't supposed to :rolleyes:

They??

more of a case that i look like i have been on the piss for a week before it was taken.

my dad lives in clare and no other form of photo id so cant fl :(

This is the third time I've said this to you so YOU DON'T NEED A PASSPORT TO FLY FROM THE UK TO IRELAND! unless you chose to fly with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

garda age card would also do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

But he needs photo id which he doesn't have.

NUS cards easily bought for around £15 online. They only deliver to a UK address though. Valid for a year and discounts galore too!

NUS cards easily bought for around £15 online. They only deliver to a UK address though. Valid for a year and discounts galore too!

What's a NUS card? Is it govt issued? Cos most airlines will settle for photo ID, but only if it's issued by a govt agency/body

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

fxotoole wrote: »
    What's a NUS card? Is it govt issued? Cos most airlines will settle for photo ID, but only if it's issued by a govt agency/body

National union of student card. Choose the international option. Flybe and Aer Lingus accept it for UK/IE travel. Haven't checked others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement