Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,383 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

fxotoole wrote: »
    What's a NUS card? Is it govt issued? Cos most airlines will settle for photo ID, but only if it's issued by a govt agency/body

That's not a fair analysis of the ID requirements.

Aer Lingus

• Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification.

Note: In order to travel between Ireland and the UK with photo identification other than a passport, passengers must have been born in Ireland or the UK and also be a citizen of either country. Aer Lingus reserves the right to require proof of citizenship.
    • The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
      • Valid Passport
      • Drivers licence with photo
      • International student card
      • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
      • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
      • Bus pass with photo
      • Work ID with photo
    The ones in Bold are not any type of gov't ID.

Likewise BA which is operating a lot of UK-Ireland flights do not require a government ID, simply some photographic ID. One of the most common is a travel pass issued by a privatised bus or rail company. There is no ID check for these, there is no verification of the identity.mm In fact if travelling hand baggage only on BA to Ireland, the only verification is that the person who passed the first security check is the same person who presents themselves at the gate. There is no request for any form of ID at any stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I used my LEAP card for ID with Aer Lingus last year (had other ID on me but wanted to see what they'd say) guy looked at it, asked his colleague who said yeah, took 30 seconds extra max.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Anyone used theirs yet? Anything to report from the passport booths?

Just received mine and planning on using it on a trip to Germany shortly.think I'll also being my full passport for backup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I'm looking to get mine soon.....sounds great to have a back up option in case passport is lost on holidays

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I'm looking to get mine soon.....sounds great to have a back up option in case passport is lost on holidays

Very easy application process, no paperwork required as its all linked to your passport. Ignore all the tabloid thrash stories about selfie problems. Stand in front of a white wall and you will easily have an acceptable shot within 2 or 3 photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Mr rebel wrote: »

Problem is if your passport is lost you report it stolen, then both are cancelled.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The blooming passport card service hasn't been going for 15 working days so I could never have meant that!

My point, simply put, is that there seems to be a latent inefficiency or lack of standardisation that mine has been assigned to checker since 7 October while there are clear reports of applications made since that date having been fulfilled since that date. Given the novelty of the passport card system, this is anecdotal evidence of a poorly specified system.

I'm now further frustrated; after 21 days of being "assigned to checker" my application has now been rejected on the grounds that the photo is more than 6 months old. There is no requirement that the photo be less than 6 months old but rather that it be a current likeness, which means a representation of what I currently look like. My passport is less than 2 years old and it is the same photo, professionally taken rather than some rubbish "selfie".

Again, they (who may be the Passport Office or some other agency brought in for the purpose) seem to have found it difficult to write the specifications properly. A "recent photograph" or a "photo taken within the last 6 months" is not the same as a "current likeness".

Obviously my passport will be my primary travel document and the photo on it will last for 3 years longer than the Passport Card but that is irrelevant. What is relevant is that poorly specified requirements can be supplement by arbitrary decision making or perhaps more clear guidelines which are not themselves published.

EDIT: I have just gone through the process again; in fact it asks for a true image and there is no reference to date or age at any stage and in the list of requirements for the photograph there is, unlike the passport booklet, no reference to currency or age. Aaaaargh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I'm now further frustrated; after 21 days of being "assigned to checker" my application has now been rejected on the grounds that the photo is more than 6 months old. There is no requirement that the photo be less than 6 months old but rather that it be a current likeness, which means a representation of what I currently look like. My passport is less than 2 years old and it is the same photo, professionally taken rather than some rubbish "selfie".

Again, they (who may be the Passport Office or some other agency brought in for the purpose) seem to have found it difficult to write the specifications properly. A "recent photograph" or a "photo taken within the last 6 months" is not the same as a "current likeness".

Obviously my passport will be my primary travel document and the photo on it will last for 3 years longer than the Passport Card but that is irrelevant. What is relevant is that poorly specified requirements can be supplement by arbitrary decision making or perhaps more clear guidelines which are not themselves published.

EDIT: I have just gone through the process again; in fact it asks for a true image and there is no reference to date or age at any stage and in the list of requirements for the photograph there is, unlike the passport booklet, no reference to currency or age. Aaaaargh.

A passport photo must be from within the last 6 months and if you used the same photo as your passport application from 2 years ago they would have spotted that straight away as soon as they started checking. It is clearly outlined.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/photo-guidelines/

AGC wrote: »
    A passport photo must be from within the last 6 months and if you used the same photo as your passport application from 2 years ago they would have spotted that straight away as soon as they started checking. It is clearly outlined.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/photo-guidelines/

That is not cited re PAssport CArd applications which are set out below. If the usual guidelines were to apply they should have been linked. I'm not an idiot, given the use of selfies, I reasonably inferred that the requirements were as cited. Again, I would have obtained new photos if that was stated. The only other reference is when submitting the application, it asks you to confirm that it is a "true likeness".

• You must have a passport compliant photo ready to upload (please see passport photo requirements section below).

Passport Image Requirements
    • 1. PLAIN BACKGROUND light in colour (white or pale grey).
    • 2. HEAD CENTERED in the photo with front pose (head not tilted).
    • 3. NEUTRAL EXPRESSION, mouth closed, no smiling.
    • 4. NO SHADOWING on the face or around the eyes.
    • 5. Ensure EYES are CLEARLY VISIBLE and not obscured by hair or glasses. You may remove your glasses.
    • 6. Photo must be IN FOCUS.
    • 7. NATURAL COLOURING, photo not too bright or too dark.
    • 8. HEADWEAR is not permitted unless worn for religious purposes.
    • 9. UNIFORMS, civil or military (e.g. showing epaulettes, insignia) should not be worn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

That is not cited re PAssport CArd applications which are set out below. If the usual guidelines were to apply they should have been linked. I'm not an idiot, given the use of selfies, I reasonably inferred that the requirements were as cited. Again, I would have obtained new photos if that was stated. The only other reference is when submitting the application, it asks you to confirm that it is a "true likeness".

• You must have a passport compliant photo ready to upload (please see passport photo requirements section below).

Passport Image Requirements
    • 1. PLAIN BACKGROUND light in colour (white or pale grey).
    • 2. HEAD CENTERED in the photo with front pose (head not tilted).
    • 3. NEUTRAL EXPRESSION, mouth closed, no smiling.
    • 4. NO SHADOWING on the face or around the eyes.
    • 5. Ensure EYES are CLEARLY VISIBLE and not obscured by hair or glasses. You may remove your glasses.
    • 6. Photo must be IN FOCUS.
    • 7. NATURAL COLOURING, photo not too bright or too dark.
    • 8. HEADWEAR is not permitted unless worn for religious purposes.
    • 9. UNIFORMS, civil or military (e.g. showing epaulettes, insignia) should not be worn.

My apologies Marcusm. I did not read earlier posts relating to it being for a passport card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

If you are lucky enough to be on an Android phone. This a good app for ID Photos, uses front or back camera.

Passport ID Photo Maker Studio

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

AGC wrote: »
    My apologies Marcusm. I did not read earlier posts relating to it being for a passport card.

No probs.

dohouch wrote: »
    If you are lucky enough to be on an Android phone. This a good app for ID Photos, uses front or back camera.

Passport ID Photo Maker Studio

As I've discovered to my irritation, the "selfie" needs to be taken within the DFA app meaning that it needs to be taken in real time irrespective of whether you have set up and taken a nice photo in preparation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As I've discovered to my irritation, the "selfie" needs to be taken within the DFA app meaning that it needs to be taken in real time irrespective of whether you have set up and taken a nice photo in preparation.

You can take a selfie with any app, upload it to a PC or laptop and apply for the card via the website. The problem with the smartphone app is that it is seriously picky about the background, it needs to be white or grey but the human eye can't judge what it will and will not accept. By the time your photo gets rejected you have already entered all of the details and there is no option to save the data, you have to start all over again. To the earlier poster who said the stories about difficulties with the photo in the app were tabloid trash, it most definitely is not, it's a PITA.

I just scanned an old passport photo and used it to apply on the DFA website, I gave up on the app. and that was after multiple attempts to take an acceptable photo - indoors and outdoors on an iPad and Android phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

15 days after applying for my passcard via the app it has been rejected as I have shadows on my face. The app should have bloody rejected it then! Annoyed I was hoping to have it by now.

coylemj wrote: »
    You can take a selfie with any app, upload it to a PC or laptop and apply for the card via the website. The problem with the smartphone app is that it is seriously picky about the background, it needs to be white or grey but the human eye can't judge what it will and will not accept. By the time your photo gets rejected you have already entered all of the details and there is no option to save the data, you have to start all over again. To the earlier poster who said the stories about difficulties with the photo in the app were tabloid trash, it most definitely is not, it's a PITA.

I just scanned an old passport photo and used it to apply on the DFA website, I gave up on the app. and that was after multiple attempts to take an acceptable photo - indoors and outdoors on an iPad and Android phone.

How old? Mine was just rejected as I'd used the same photo as my 18 mth old passport. They now suggest that there's a 6 mth limit although it's not stated in the passport card photo requirements. I had to wait 3 weeks for it to be rejected. I will make a new application but I am forcing a stewards' inquiry. If they truly want the standard passport photo criteria to apply then it wpuld be simpler to state that. Hilariously they initially pointed me back to the wrong set of requirements - didn't even relate to photos - before acknowledging that they did not set this as a requirement. Logically a passport card must expire earlier (or at latest coincident) with the passport and the same photo should have been an automatic option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why they just can't use the same photo as is already on your passport is beyond me, surely this would make the most sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Why they just can't use the same photo as is already on your passport is beyond me, surely this would make the most sense?

I took mine using a yellow background and they accepted it. Sent the card out and all. It's black and white on the card anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

So 400 odd applications have been rejected out of 8000. Liveline whingers as usual.

The card is an add on and you must have an actual passport to get the card so some applicants need to calm down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Used my card in Spain on Monday. No problem, they just glanced at it and waved me through.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    So 400 odd applications have been rejected out of 8000. Liveline whingers as usual.

The card is an add on and you must have an actual passport to get the card so some applicants need to calm down.

A 5% error rate is fairly horrendous; the entitlement to a passport card is dependent on having a passport so the ability to make an error is fairly limited. For example, you cannot fail to sign it, omit the payment, include a baptismal rather than birth cert or any of the hundreds of other ways in which a normal passport application can be rejected.

The application must be online and thus

• the cross check details (name, passport number, expiry date and date of both can be verified before the application is made)
    • the payment can be verified
    • the photo is subject to validation by computer

I cannot see that the grounds for rejection can be anything other than a need for a human eye to verify that the photo doesn't have shadows or similar non background related issues. If the committee arranging the launch of the product had considered things properly, I find it hard to understand how they rejected printing the passport card with the existing photo or did not maintain the requirement for passport style photos. These latter photos, in most cases, will be viewed by someone else (the photographer) or taken ina suitable environment (a well lit booth) such that the error rate would be substantially reduced.

Pushing the verification onto the passport office staff increases the civil service cost and is ill considered. The rejection of my own application irks me but the fact that the process is so poorly planned dismays me.

coylemj wrote: »
    To the earlier poster who said the stories about difficulties with the photo in the app were tabloid trash, it most definitely is not, it's a PITA.

Could there be something wrong with your camera(poor resolution / dirty), maybe your wall is dirty or light was interfering? I suppose the biggest challenge for some people might be coordinating the selfie so maybe get someone to take the photo for you.

I literally followed the instructions(white wall, no light interference and face in the box and looking directly at the camera) and uploaded when I was happy where my first photo was accepted. Only reason I didn't upload my first photo was I didn't like my facial expressions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

They??

There is no formal registration or de-registration process in Ireland, so you can just reapply for stuff if you have an address without issues.

Same in the UK.

Got mine in the post the other day, no problems.

Used the website though, the APP was too hard to get a decent picture with.

Paid 35 euros to here in NL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

A 5% error rate is fairly horrendous; the entitlement to a passport card is dependent on having a passport so the ability to make an error is fairly limited. For example, you cannot fail to sign it, omit the payment, include a baptismal rather than birth cert or any of the hundreds of other ways in which a normal passport application can be rejected.

The application must be online and thus

• the cross check details (name, passport number, expiry date and date of both can be verified before the application is made)
    • the payment can be verified
    • the photo is subject to validation by computer

I cannot see that the grounds for rejection can be anything other than a need for a human eye to verify that the photo doesn't have shadows or similar non background related issues. If the committee arranging the launch of the product had considered things properly, I find it hard to understand how they rejected printing the passport card with the existing photo or did not maintain the requirement for passport style photos. These latter photos, in most cases, will be viewed by someone else (the photographer) or taken ina suitable environment (a well lit booth) such that the error rate would be substantially reduced.

Pushing the verification onto the passport office staff increases the civil service cost and is ill considered. The rejection of my own application irks me but the fact that the process is so poorly planned dismays me.

Printing with the existing photo is not practical. You apply now and potentially use a photo that you submitted originally in 2006.

Also having the applicant taking a selfie is a modern practical solution to a process where previously photos taken in a booth have been rejected.

As I pointed out earlier whining about passport card rejection is pointless because you already have an actual passport so rejection wont stop you travelling.

So in essence its an age old Irish trait. Complaining about something that is not really not that important

Printing with the existing photo is not practical. You apply now and potentially use a photo that you submitted originally in 2006.

Also having the applicant taking a selfie is a modern practical solution to a process where previously photos taken in a booth have been rejected.

As I pointed out earlier whining about passport card rejection is pointless because you already have an actual passport so rejection wont stop you travelling.

So in essence its an age old Irish trait. Complaining about something that is not really not that important

Ha ha. The existing photo is suitable both for the primary travel document and for [an electronic] verification of the selfie but is not suitable for printing of a secondary travel document which runs no longer than the primary. My "whining" as you characterise it is entirely about poorly specified processes.

<mod-snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ha ha. The existing photo is suitable both for the primary travel document and for [an electronic] verification of the selfie but is not suitable for printing of a secondary travel document which runs no longer than the primary. My "whining" as you characterise it is entirely about poorly specified processes.

<mod-snip>

Is the digital picture you supplied less than 6 months old ?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/irish_passport_card.html
    You have to supply a photograph in digital form that is less than 6 months old. It must meet the required standard:

How is that a poorly defined process ?

Is the digital picture you supplied less than 6 months old ?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/irish_passport_card.html

How is that a poorly defined process ?

Because, as admitted by DFA/Passport Office in communications with me, that they have omitted to specify that on the DFA/PAssport Office/Passport Card application site!!! You'll see that I have quoted the relevant extracts in prior posts.

It is amusing that they managed to include that specification on Citizen's Info, ie the specification sent by DFA to the Government Information Service was more comprehensive than they used on their own site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I've edited a post above ^^^ and a subsequent post where it was quoted.

NO personal details on thread!

Any issues, feel free to pm me.
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Title says it all

Refused entry this afternoon as the IT in Prague can't read our high tech passport card.

Tried to force the issue but eventually dug out passport. Had the same hassle in Berlin 2 weeks ago

Going to call Embassy in Prague on Monday, but for everyone don't travel without the full passport until the rest of the EU catches up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement