Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Well mine is still ongoing will type long reply later on or tomorrow when I have cooled down. Looks like I am staying in Dublin next week.

Billy.fish - ring them yours should be ready to go as some that were done before a certain date are ok and ready to be collected so persist with called keep pressing redial you should get through.

Fingers crossed will be back on later or tomorrow to give you my saga.

Pretty much the plan for the rest of the afternoon!

Hoping that it'll get done

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

billy.fish wrote: »
    And thats why the people in there should all be kicked out

Don't agree!
    I think they are doing a great job, considering the back log due to the strike, the usual increase in passport applications at this time of year, and the restriction on extra staff/overtime. Yes, it is an unfortunite time, and very worrying for a lot of people, but that's not because the PPO are not doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Johner wrote: »
    Gave my forms and all to my aunty(she works in there) last Wednesday amd mine arrived in the post today. :)
    billy.fish wrote: »
    mrmac wrote: »
    Don't agree!
    I think they are doing a great job

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bailey18

feeling sick now. website is now saying 25 working days!! wondering does that go for past applications too? anyone know?? on working day 16 and need my sons passport by next friday. not looking forward to having to go without him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Originally Posted by billy.fish View Post

Don't agree!
    I think they are doing a great job, considering the back log due to the strike, the usual increase in passport applications at this time of year, and the restriction on extra staff/overtime. Yes, it is an unfortunite time, and very worrying for a lot of people, but that's not because the PPO are not doing a good job.

I donno. Before the strike, which includes this time last year, a 10 day turnaround was standard by the ppo. It's now largely because of the strike by those workers that has it gone out to 25 days. However, kicking someone out for looking after their Nephew is a bit extreme; lets face it, we'd try that if we had contacts in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 bowsie

Applied on 5 May and followed advice to ring passport office as travelling on 26 May. Staff were very helpful and pleasant. Received a call today (21 may) to say passport will be ready for collection on Monday. That's 12 working days. I had applied by passport express but they advised me to collect in Molesworth Street. Trick is to keep ringing - if recording says "I'm sorry..." then hang up and try again. Takes about 10 attempts before you are put on hold (for about ten minutes). If you are polite to them they will go out of their way to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

Does Ireland have National ID cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No, we don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

Ryanair require a passport, unless you have a national ID card.
    Does Ireland have National ID cards?
    BuffyBot wrote: »
    No, we don't

could someone not just have tld the poster this the first time?:D

it just looked funny to me. peace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Yeah, my girlfriend and I had a similar problem a while back. Her passport expired three days before we were due to fly to another EU country, we rang Ryanair and asked about drivers licenses and other kinds of i.d., they said that if you're Irish then a passport is the only option. This was in the middle of the whole passport crisis* too, you can imagine the stress of it all.

* Hate to use the term. Everything's a "crisis" these days. There's the global financial crisis, and I actually heard someone use the phrase "volcanic ash crisis" a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

In short, you need a passport to exit Ireland and go to the UK by air.

There is a 'free travel zone' in theory, but Ireland has pretty much given up on it and the airlines are now getting sticky. You'll need a passport leaving Ireland but you'll walk free into the UK (most London airports) with just a boarding pass on arrival. Coming back you could use other ID at the border (for UK purposes) but the airlines won't recognise it, as on arrival back here (in Ireland) only a passport is good enough for our boys (and girls). It isn’t an airline thing, it an Irish government issue.

Get your passport application in asap. The old school bus pass, drivers licences and all that don’t work anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Come August id like to fly from Kerry Airport, Ireland to either Luton or Stansted Airports, With Ryanair.

Can i do this without a Passport, could i use my Drivers License?

Thanks.
    i have travelled to britian alot, always needed the passport, and every one i see flying out also have theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

goat2 wrote: »
    i have travelled to britian alot, always needed the passport, and every one i see flying out also have theirs

Six-hundredth and sixty sixth post - I'm sure you're up to no good! (-:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

TJJP wrote: »
    Six-hundredth and sixty sixth post - I'm sure you're up to no good! (-:
    no
    just saying what my experience is with travelling
    especially since 9/11 this little document is very important,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Incorrect. Passport is only required if you're travelling with Ryanair. Fly with Aer Lingus or bmi etc and they'll accept other forms of photo ID between Ireland and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I flew airlingus to the uk with my drivers license about 18 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

What a pain in the bum this all is haha..

If i go with Aerlingus ill have to go all the way to Cork or Shannon to fly out! I'll have to get my passport sorted soon, Damn expensive though..

Thanks for the help..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

You don't need anything to exit Ireland, hence no passport control at the land border. The only people who look at your documentation when you're leaving the country are the airline staff, not the Gardaí or Immigration.
    There is a 'free travel zone' in theory, but Ireland has pretty much given up on it and the airlines are now getting sticky. You'll need a passport leaving Ireland but you'll walk free into the UK (most London airports) with just a boarding pass on arrival. Coming back you could use other ID at the border (for UK purposes) but the airlines won't recognise it, as on arrival back here (in Ireland) only a passport is good enough for our boys (and girls). It isn’t an airline thing, it an Irish government issue.

Get your passport application in asap. The old school bus pass, drivers licences and all that don’t work anymore.

When you say "the airlines" you mean Ryanair. Aer Lingus and Aer Arann will take a wide range of photo ID for travel to the UK and within Ireland, including student cards, work IDs, drivers licences etc. On arrival back here, the Immigration staff at our airports will take any form of photo identification as long as your flight originated in Ireland or the UK, and as long as you are a UK or Irish citizen - how you prove that without a passport is beyond me, but a passport is not required nonetheless. In short, for travel within the UK and Ireland, it is an airline thing, not an Irish Government issue.

As a side note, I cannot believe we have another one of these threads. It's nearly weekly at this point. Can we not make a sticky?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Esto Fidelis

Hi

I am looking for some advice; my son is going to New York on Wed. He done his online check in yesterday and discovered his passport is out in mid July. Seems the US needs your passport to be valid for 6 months.

Does anyone have experience of a problem like this, I am wondering if we go to the passport office tomorrow will we get a new passport on the day or is there any other options like contacting the US emigration dept, and I don’t even know if they have one here.

Any ideas and or help would be much appreciated.

Seems the US needs your passport to be valid for 6 months.

Does it? Since when?

• Advertisement

Dont know when it came in but when we done the on line visa waiver yesterday it came up then.

Dont know when it came in but when we done the on line visa waiver yesterday it came up then.

The ESTA? I think you're mistaken. A British or Irish passport is valid for travel to the US until the date of it's expiry, so long as you have an ESTA.

No, I have been on to the dept of foregin affairs and they confirmed that the rule is there must be 6 months on the passport. They told us not to bother going to passport office tomorrow but to get the cops to take a photo copy of the original passport and sign it and stamp to say they have viewed the original passport, then send in the application for the new one with the photo copy rather than the old passport. Then bring the original passport and proof he has applied for the new passport. They say this may allow him to get out of Dubln

No, I have been on to the dept of foregin affairs and they confirmed that the rule is there must be 6 months on the passport.
    The Irish Department of Foreign Affairs? What would they know?

With the greatest of respect, rather than asking the Irish government, you would be better seeking this information from the government of the country you're visiting.
    Visitors traveling to the United States are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the United States. Citizens of the countries listed below are exempt the six-month rule and need only have a passport valid for their intended period of stay.
    Algeria
    Andorra
    Angola
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Antilles
    Argentina
    Armenia
    Aruba
    Australia
    Austria
    Bahamas, The
    Barbados
    Belgium
    Belize
    Bermuda
    Bolivia
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Brazil
    Bulgaria
    Burma
    Canada
    Chile
    Colombia
    Costa Rica
    Cote D’Ivoire
    Croatia
    Cyprus
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Dominica
    Dominican Republic
    Egypt
    El Salvador
    Estonia
    Ethiopia
    Fiji
    Finland
    France
    Gabon
    Georgia
    Germany
    Greece
    Grenada
    Guatemala
    Guinea
    Guyana
    Haiti
    Holy See
    Hong Kong
    Hungary
    Iceland
    India
    Indonesia
    Ireland
    Israel
    Italy
    Jamaica
    Japan
    Latvia
    Lebanon
    Libya
    Liechtenstein
    Lithuania
    Luxembourg
    Macau
    Macedonia
    Madagascar
    Malaysia
    Maldives
    Malta
    Mauritania
    Mauritius
    Mexico
    Monaco
    Mongolia
    Montenegro
    Mozambique
    Nepal
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Nicaragua
    Nigeria
    Norway
    Pakistan
    Palau
    Panama
    Papua New Guinea
    Paraguay
    Peru
    Philippines
    Poland
    Portugal
    Qatar
    Romania
    Russia
    San Marino
    Serbia
    Seychelles
    Singapore
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    South Africa
    South Korea
    Spain
    Sri Lanka
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    St. Lucia
    St. Vincent and The Grenadines
    Suriname
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Taiwan
    Thailand
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Tunisia
    Turkey
    Tuvalu
    Ukraine
    United Arab Emirates
    United Kingdom
    Uruguay
    Uzbekistan
    Venezuela
    Vietnam
    Zimbabwe
    http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/clp/bulletins/clp_bullentin_04162008.ctt/clp_bulletin_04162008.pdf

By the way,
    I have been on to the dept of foregin affairs and they confirmed that the rule is there must be 6 months on the passport.
    They say this may allow him to get out of Dubln

I'd be making a complaint against whichever imbecile gave you that time consuming, costly and completely unnecessary recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 XBubbliBunniX

i lost my passport which had my visa on it last thurs due to fly to america for the summer on the 4th of june for the j1 does anyone no if i go to the passport office and explain my situation would they be able to fast track the application r would they be able to do anything to help me as i have to go through the whole process again!!:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Kotek Besar is right. As long as the passport is valid until the day you return you're OK. Mine is out in October, and I'm travelling in June. There's no need to panic. If you're really in doubt, ring the American Embassy.

UNLESS, and I very much doubt it, this is VERY very new, I know someone who called in person to the passport office in Cork on a Thursday, due to fly on Sunday, and it seems they got on alright

Thanks for the replies, in particular to Kotek Besar. We are very worried about this. Them muppets in the dept of non forgen affairs gave us this warning not advice, my wife rang them and got this condesating warnings and and no great help. I hope he gets out on wed and i will let you know. This is a great help, anytime i need a bit of help I come to boards. Keep the good work up, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

The passport office are working flat out to deal with the backlog of applications. That includes working Saturdays, in turns, and taking a day off during the week instead. I know this because I was called by a lady from the Dublin PPO, Saturday morning, about one of my applications. She explained everything in great detail, regarding difficulty scanning the signature, she was extremely helpful, and gave me a direct address to post a new signature sample. This should be with her on Monday, and the application will be processed and passport printed the same day!

The other application went through without issue, and was printed on Saturday.

Thumbs up to all the staff at the PPO, they really are doing their best! :)

I disagree. Propaganda . Well Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Don't agree!

Keep the propaganda machine going mr moderator

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement