Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TommyRiordan

Found the right thread but don't have time to read 473 pages (did read post #1 though as required)! What's the quickest way to get an Irish passport and how much does it cost? I'm from Belfast so where would the best place be to get one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Found the right thread but don't have time to read 473 pages (did read post #1 though as required)! What's the quickest way to get an Irish passport and how much does it cost? I'm from Belfast so where would the best place be to get one?

You need to get an APS 2E form from a Post Office, there's a list online somewhere but most large ones in Belfast more than likely would have it I'd say, their fee is £6 and I dunno the £ price (if any) for the passport itself but it's €80.

Once you have all the requirements listed then you're grand.

I'm sure someone more in the know can help you better than I can but I just said I'd response 'cos I noticed your post here.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Depends - when are you flying? Are you a first time applicant, or have you lost your most recent passport or has your most recent Irish passport been stolen?

If it's just a renewal, you can apply by Passport Express to get your passport in less than 10 working days - although if you need it any quicker, you'd need to make an appointment in the Dublin or Cork offices and go in with your application form, supporting docs, and proof of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Does the new passport card work with the automated immigration gates at Dublin airport?

Niemoj wrote: »
    You need to get an APS 2E form from a Post Office, there's a list online somewhere but most large ones in Belfast more than likely would have it I'd say, their fee is £6 and I dunno the £ price (if any) for the passport itself but it's €80.

Once you have all the requirements listed then you're grand.

I'm sure someone more in the know can help you better than I can but I just said I'd response 'cos I noticed your post here.

Good luck.

Damn I was in the city centre today and forgot to pick up one, thanks anyways. Was talking to a mate and he reckons it's £45 around so sounds about right. Just worrying about how long it will take to arrive.
    fxotoole wrote: »
    Depends - when are you flying? Are you a first time applicant, or have you lost your most recent passport or has your most recent Irish passport been stolen?

If it's just a renewal, you can apply by Passport Express to get your passport in less than 10 working days - although if you need it any quicker, you'd need to make an appointment in the Dublin or Cork offices and go in with your application form, supporting docs, and proof of travel.

First time applicant, not flying anywhere as of right now, last passport expired. Want photographic ID since I lost my wallet recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Damn I was in the city centre today and forgot to pick up one, thanks anyways. Was talking to a mate and he reckons it's £45 around so sounds about right. Just worrying about how long it will take to arrive.

First time applicant, not flying anywhere as of right now, last passport expired. Want photographic ID since I lost my wallet recently.

Bit confusing, did you have a UK passport before and this is your first Irish passport?

Bit confusing, did you have a UK passport before and this is your first Irish passport?

Yes I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Sono

DFA in Dublin are investigating

Any update? I just want to know I can use this in the manner it's supposed to be used and not have to carry my 2 passports just in case they don't accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Waiting on the passport office to get back to the DFA.

Was able to leave Berlin Tegal on the passport card last night, but the two officials on duty seemed concerned at the card and it didn't seem to work on the IT again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Waiting on the passport office to get back to the DFA.

Was able to leave Berlin Tegal on the passport card last night, but the two officials on duty seemed concerned at the card and it didn't seem to work on the IT again.

To be fair the German border control can be complete ding dongs sometimes.

We were flying out of Dusseldorf Airport and got stopped by border control for a 'security check' to check our passports, we were flying to Orlando via Chicago.

She asked what our relationship was and we said we were married.

Next 10 minutes asking why her second name was different and how come we weren't listed as married on our passports.

In the end she just let us go as we said we weren't answering anymore questions (she became less pushy after I explained I worked in Dusseldorf and would be making further inquiries if this was a problem)

Upon leaving she said "just make sure you get it updated for next time"

We just ignored her and kept walking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Just in relation to the standard Passport. Mine was due for renewal next January but wanted to beat the Christmas rush both for renewal and post.

Went in on a Tuesday. Initially opted for postage but it was going to be sent out on a day I would be in Cork so changed to collection. Even though that required a supervisor to change some paperwork in the Cork office, nothing seemed a bother.
    By Friday of that week I checked online and saw it was ready. Incredible.
    Rang to enquire about collecteing earlier than planned and was told no bother after day#6 as before that would incur a charge of 55€uro.

Just unreal turn-around. Gotta say the Guard in my local station was on the ball too. Only met the man once & that was when we both turned up to a Charity Skydive on same day/time but this was first time in Professional Capacity and fair play <- didn't know something and instead of the normal plámásing he just told me straight out he didn't know and wasn't going to spoof me.

Just Saying my Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Just unreal turn-around. Gotta say the Guard in my local station was on the ball too. Only met the man once & that was when we both turned up to a Charity Skydive on same day/time but this was first time in Professional Capacity and fair play <- didn't know something and instead of the normal plámásing he just told me straight out he didn't know and wasn't going to spoof me.

I may have misinterpreted your point but if it's about the fact that the Garda didn't really know you, that's no longer they declaration they make on the passport form. What they now certify is that they are satisfied as to your identity which is a different thing altogether.

Not a problem for someone with an expiring passport and maybe a driving licence to show at the desk in their local station but could be a problem for someone who doesn't have any official document which incorporates their photo.

coylemj wrote: »
    I may have misinterpreted your point but if it's about the fact that the Garda didn't really know you, that's no longer they declaration they make on the passport form. What they now certify is that they are satisfied as to your identity which is a different thing altogether.

Not a problem for someone with an expiring passport and maybe a driving licence to show at the desk in their local station but could be a problem for someone who doesn't have any official document which incorporates their photo.

You know I thought I read somewhere but cannot locate it now about talks at the moment of that no longer being necessary <- Garda Station having to check ID/stamp passport.
    That is the case with the new PassportCards though as it's done online, but eventually being phased-out for the standard passport.
    Anyone know about that?

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

You know I thought I read somewhere but cannot locate it now about talks at the moment of that no longer being necessary <- Garda Station having to check ID/stamp passport.

I go into my local station every 10 years when I'm renewing my passport. The officer behind the counter pulls down a large book from a press above the public counter, examines my documents (including the old passport and I usually bring my driving licence as well), writes my details in the big book, signs and stamps my renewal form and the backs of the passport photos, job done. Doesn't know me from Adam. It doesn't say anywhere that you need to be personally known to the Garda.

From the Passport website ...

Identification

A Garda at your local Garda station will witness your passport application form; as long as they are satisfied as to your identity and that your four photos are a true likeness of you.

Make sure you bring photo identification with you and be aware that the Garda may ask you for more proof of identification.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I just got my new ten year passport renewed today, I got a bit mixed up with where to put my signature, it said page 3. I looked at my old passport and my signature was on the photo bit, so I signed in one of the spaces below my photo. It only dawned on me a minute or two later that the following paper page was actually page 3 with the signature bit. So hopefully I haven't wrote off my new passport by having a signature on the photo bit. I now have two signatures on it. I just presumed the photo bit was page 3 dumbass that I am. Will my passport be OK.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

That is the case with the new PassportCards though as it's done online, but eventually being phased-out for the standard passport.
    Anyone know about that?

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Yes the minister did say that recently. I think it's only for renewals though, as your identity would already have been established if you are renewing.

Edit: link: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/need-for-gardai-to-sign-passports-to-be-reviewed-361494.html

coylemj wrote: »
    I go into my local station every 10 years when I'm renewing my passport. The officer behind the counter pulls down a large book from a press above the public counter, examines my documents (including the old passport and I usually bring my driving licence as well), writes my details in the big book, signs and stamps my renewal form and the backs of the passport photos, job done. Doesn't know me from Adam. It doesn't say anywhere that you need to be personally known to the Garda.

From the Passport website ...

Identification

A Garda at your local Garda station will witness your passport application form; as long as they are satisfied as to your identity and that your four photos are a true likeness of you.

Make sure you bring photo identification with you and be aware that the Garda may ask you for more proof of identification.

Exactly, their job is to verify you are the person on the Photograph and to witness you signed it.

Similar to the declaring your car off the road thing which they don't do anymore, their job was just to witness you signing the form.

^^^ That's what I had read.

Thank You,

• Advertisement

Standard brio worked fine for me.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Standard brio worked fine for me.

+1 I doubt if it really matters (has an immigration agent ever asked you to provide your signature?) but being a card and subject to contact with your fingers, I'd avoid using a felt tip because it will eventually smudge and it may look like someone was trying to erase and replace the original signature.

Spidery biro signature will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Used the passport card leaving Schiphol headed to the States this morning. Got a lot of scrutiny and took three times as long as my usual experience but it was accepted. Have the normal passport with me for backup though (and to get into the US!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Mena wrote: »
    Used the passport card leaving Schiphol headed to the States this morning. Got a lot of scrutiny and took three times as long as my usual experience but it was accepted. Have the normal passport with me for backup though (and to get into the US!).

The card is only intended for travel within the EU/EEA. I wouldn't be chancing the card outside EU/EEA countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

The card is only intended for travel within the EU/EEA. I wouldn't be chancing the card outside EU/EEA countries.

Read the post again, point was I used it to leave the Schengen area in Schiphol. Of course I'll not use it when we land in the US which is why I said I have the passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Mena wrote: »
    I used it to leave the Schengen area in Schiphol.

This part makes more sense and makes your first post easier to understand.

Travelled from Schiphol to Cork on Thursday, no problems.

Also traveled back yesterday, also no problems

The Card does not work when using the check in machines in either Cork or Schiphol so you need to have your flight reference number handy.

Also the Passport Card does not work with ID verification machines in NL, went to unblock my bank card last week and they had to scan and send off my card to some central office to have it verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 phanley

How many pages do people reckon would be enough to travel to almost all the countries in latin and south america?

I only have 7/8 pages left in my passport, I'm thinking this may not be enough..
    But at the same time I'd like to totally fill a passport once in my life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

Quick question regarding the steps of the process on the site.

Mine has just changed to stage 2...does that mean the documentation has been accepted as valid and then they start the process of creating the passport?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement