Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

ah ok. still good to see it has moved on. hopefully home with my dad for christmas! !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Sono

Waiting on the passport office to get back to the DFA.

Was able to leave Berlin Tegal on the passport card last night, but the two officials on duty seemed concerned at the card and it didn't seem to work on the IT again.

Any update yet? I just want to know I can travel Europe with no hassle and will be quite annoyed if I have paid €35 for an ID which is affectively useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Waiting on the passport office to get back to the DFA.

Was able to leave Berlin Tegal on the passport card last night, but the two officials on duty seemed concerned at the card and it didn't seem to work on the IT again.

If you mean the Machine for electronically verifying it, this was also the case for the ePassports when they came in initially as well, the odd time when flying in I would get the eyeglass and close inspection treatment.

It took a few years for it to work on all machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its still with the passport office

After some investigation by myself and with help of some EU friends, its a technical issue. The Passport card is type IP and not ID or I>, no one in the EEA issued type IP until now so presumably the IT isn't programmed to recognise it

What happens next is down to training, manual visual inspection should be sufficient but it should be possible manually enter the document ID to get the RFID working.

You should never be refused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Sono

Its still with the passport office

After some investigation by myself and with help of some EU friends, its a technical issue. The Passport card is type IP and not ID or I>, no one in the EEA issued type IP until now so presumably the IT isn't programmed to recognise it

What happens next is down to training, manual visual inspection should be sufficient but it should be possible manually enter the document ID to get the RFID working.

You should never be refused.

Thanks for this I do appreciate the reply.

I cannot believe they have a passport issue to people and there is still ambiguity whether it will work in different countries or not, a complete and utter shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sono wrote: »
    Thanks for this I do appreciate the reply.

I cannot believe they have a passport issue to people and there is still ambiguity whether it will work in different countries or not, a complete and utter shambles.

Is it not the case that it is poor training of border staff in the other countries that is the issue? DFA have informed all other member states that this is now a legal document, those other member states having accepted this should have informed their border staff to accept it, some individuals seem not to have read the memo, very little Ireland can do about some rogue individuals.

Is it not the case that it is poor training of border staff in the other countries that is the issue? DFA have informed all other member states that this is now a legal document, those other member states having accepted this should have informed their border staff to accept it, some individuals seem not to have read the memo, very little Ireland can do about some rogue individuals.

I'm sure they know what it is, but if the policy is to run the ID through the SIS and the IT says unreadable or unrecognized then the training is to seek alternative ID

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

And according to people on here that has happened. I'm not sure what else people expect.

I'm sure if we go back to the founding of the State we'll find reports of Saorstat Eireann passports not being accepted by some customs guy in Antwerp.

• Advertisement

I'm sure they know what it is, but if the policy is to run the ID through the SIS and the IT says unreadable or unrecognized then the training is to seek alternative ID

It's not ... Many of the Italian ID Cards are a piece of paper, the don't scan it and say "doesn't work different ID please"

Many ID Cards of other countries are not machine readable.

Training issue, that's all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

This probably sounds a bit crazy but we are thinking of looking for a last minute deal for Xmas to the Canaries, does anyone know a good site for these deals, I looked on the web but most of the sites are in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Zelda247 wrote: »
    This probably sounds a bit crazy but we are thinking of looking for a last minute deal for Xmas to the Canaries, does anyone know a good site for these deals, I looked on the web but most of the sites are in the UK.

From what I read, Canaries at Christmas is peak time, so wouldn't be a time to get 'last minute' deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Do you know what the best websites are for last minute deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Me and the wife are planning on a trip to vegas next september. Have seen a few decent deals on ebookers. Just wondering if any of you have an opinion on black friday / cyber monday. Are sales genuine with the likes of ebookers or are they known for increasing prices a couple of days before hand. I'd imagine that given how volatile the markets are they can increase quite easily

Italian ID card aren't machine readable, a ID which is machine readable which doesn't read is a flag.

Seems like the folks in TXL in Berlin have updated their IT, got through in both directions with the passport card faster than I have with a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

Ebookers can do some decent deals.

Make sure you sign up to their newsletter.They send you an instant 15% code off hotels(or SUNNY10 also gives 10% off hotels).

I would also compare whatever you saw on Ebookers with the hotel's own price on their website along with checking hotelscombined.ie.

Also I would delete my browsing history on the computer.Otherwise they will put up the prices based on how often you check their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Do you know what the best websites are for last minute deals?

I was on Abbey Travel site yesterday for something completely different and they had a load of cheap deals on their him page. Clicked on one out of interest and was about €150 for Tenerife all inclusive. Can't remember dates or duration and didn't look at hotel but can't really go wrong at that price. Were other cheaper deals too so worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Collie D wrote: »
    I was on Abbey Travel site yesterday for something completely different and they had a load of cheap deals on their him page. Clicked on one out of interest and was about €150 for Tenerife all inclusive. Can't remember dates or duration and didn't look at hotel but can't really go wrong at that price. Were other cheaper deals too so worth a look.
    Some okay stuff there in last minute actually, wish I was between jobs!

• Advertisement

Cheers, Ah i'm after the flights more then the hotels.

One other thing, I love skyscanner for comparing the prices but never had the stones to book with them. Is there any agents from skyscanner to avoid. I've noticed considerable price differences on the same routes between diff suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭POKERKING

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Cheers, Ah i'm after the flights more then the hotels.

One other thing, I love skyscanner for comparing the prices but never had the stones to book with them. Is there any agents from skyscanner to avoid. I've noticed considerable price differences on the same routes between diff suppliers

i have booked all my flights this way and never had a problem with any of them, they all give you codes to log into the carriers page anyway so shouldnt make a difference.

I have never paid over 500e for a flight to vegas and i have gone loads of times at different times of year. I find January or late december best to book personally. Still a bit early for September too.

Cheers for the reply, Its coming in at 960 for 2 of us. flying dub-gat-lv. Not a bad price Just getting greedy I guess :)

Italian ID card aren't machine readable, a ID which is machine readable which doesn't read is a flag.

Seems like the folks in TXL in Berlin have updated their IT, got through in both directions with the passport card faster than I have with a passport.

Always an Italian complaint in the UK, so much so Italians use their passport most of the time these days unless they have the newer Digital Identity Card (even that had problems in the beginning) as it takes 4 times longer to get through border control according to UK Border Force.

http://icinspector.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/An-Inspection-of-Border-Force-Operations-at-Stansted-Airport.pdf
    It could take over
    four times as long
    to clear passengers
    travelling on nonmachine-readable
    identity cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

I've used my card in Amsterdam Schipol and no problems with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I can't see them ever working on the Heathrow e-gates which rely on scanning the physical photo and comparing to your face, I'd it doesn't check against the image stored on the chip. It's hard enough to get the polycarbonate page flat enough as it stands. The card being a different size likely means it's a goner.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

Has the passport office been hit with a busy period? been stuck on stage two for over a week now

I take you had the real passport in back pocket for this scenario and aren't using your one phone call from the gulag to report in

Passport office are useless, they won't answer the phone

DFA keep saying its the Passport Office problem, though last time I checked the passport was issued in the name of the Minister for Foreign Affairs

I've noticed the Germans and passports thing, they rarely if ever travel to/from Ireland on a ID card

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement