Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ciaran8715

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help put my mind at rest. I submitted an application through the post office in Belfast for a passport on Monday 23rd November and was told I would be able to track the progress online. I have tried entering the number into the tracking system but I get a message everytime saying Unable to find any record for application number <mod-snip>.

Does anyone know how or when it will show up in the system as I am getting a little bit worried that it may be lost in the post.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ciaran8715 wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help put my mind at rest. I submitted an application through the post office in Belfast for a passport on Monday 23rd November and was told I would be able to track the progress online. I have tried entering the number into the tracking system but I get a message everytime saying Unable to find any record for application number <mod-snip>.

Does anyone know how or when it will show up in the system as I am getting a little bit worried that it may be lost in the post.

Thanks

Welcome to boards.ie!

These guys are pretty active on twitter right here. Maybe you could contact them to enquire or else wait until mid-week next week and try track again.
    As of Wednesday last the turnaround time was 10-working days (as per here) but I'd imagine they would be getting busier from now until the NewYear so the turnaround may get longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Sono

Is there anywhere online we can see a list of cities/countries this has been accepted and refused so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

Has anyone applied for this and provided a photo with a non-white background? The application says the background must be "light in colour (white or pale grey)". My living room is light yellow/cream and I'm wondering if my application will be rejected as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

sheepman wrote: »
    Has anyone applied for this and provided a photo with a non-white background? The application says the background must be "light in colour (white or pale grey)". My living room is light yellow/cream and I'm wondering if my application will be rejected as a result.

Don't bother, the app is complete balls :) Just scan in a passport photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

still on stage 2 ...been ten days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

filmfanb wrote: »

10 working days? If you're a first time applicant or your last passport was lost or stolen it takes longer.

Got it, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 The app will drive you nuts because if you take a photo using your smartphone, the background will never be an acceptable shade of white or grey but the error message will claim it's something else causing the problem.

Yup, it didn't work. The background was white/very light grey and my head was perfectly positioned. Surely a scan of a physical passport photo would be poor quality?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Yup, it didn't work. The background was white/very light grey and my head was perfectly positioned. Surely a scan of a physical passport photo would be poor quality?

It is but it works. I went through the exact same problems and a scanned passport photo did the trick. Card arrived at my door within the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My partners went from 2 to 6 - arranged a pickup as time was tight but it still appeared on working day 10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Nah, mine was fine, just be sure you don't scan your passport itself or use the same passport photo as they'll say the picture is too old.

Nah, mine was fine, just be sure you don't scan your passport itself or use the same passport photo as they'll say the picture is too old.

I've tried scanning AND taking a photo of a new passport photo and neither worked :( This is driving me crazy :(

Is there a trick to scanning the passport photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I've tried scanning AND taking a photo of a new passport photo and neither worked :( This is driving me crazy :(

Is there a trick to scanning the passport photo?

What error message are you getting specifically?

Are there any shadows on your eye sockets / chin / cheeks, or behind your head?

Have you tried sitting in a photo booth and taking the photo with the app while sitting in a photo booth? (Photo booths are designed to take photo with evenly distributed white lighting, thereby avoiding any issues with shadowing / light colour / etc)

fxotoole wrote: »
    What error message are you getting specifically?

Are there any shadows on your eye sockets / chin / cheeks, or behind your head?

Have you tried sitting in a photo booth and taking the photo with the app while sitting in a photo booth? (Photo booths are designed to take photo with evenly distributed white lighting, thereby avoiding any issues with shadowing / light colour / etc)

It turns out the web app was not working as expected :rolleyes: Guess I'll try again tomorrow. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

filmfanb wrote: »
    10 working days? If you're a first time applicant or your last passport was lost or stolen it takes longer.

Same here. Ten working days today. Still on stage 2. Not first time and not lost or stolen.

Luckily I'm not in any hurry but I would have expected the process to be quicker in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

hi all! im travelling to London on Friday for a wedding and loan and behold i haven't been able to find my passport despite frantically searching for it and coincidentally my drivers license is off for renewal at the same time. has anyone here ever used the rapid renewal service? are you guaranteed to get the passport the same day? and do ryanair accept any other forms of I.D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

hi all! im travelling to London on Friday for a wedding and loan and behold i haven't been able to find my passport despite frantically searching for it and coincidentally my drivers license is off for renewal at the same time. has anyone here ever used the rapid renewal service? are you guaranteed to get the passport the same day? and do ryanair accept any other forms of I.D?
    Ryanair are passport /passport card only for Irish citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

My old passport expired and I reapplied for a new one and posted it off Monday 23rd November it should be due back any day this week but I was looking on the Ryanair website and noticed cheap flights to Amsterdam for the 18th December.

Can I book flights today? My passport will defiantly be back by the time I am die to fly

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

You can book your flights today.. no need to enter your passport details until you're checking in for your flight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I lost my passport after i returned from the Netherlands,i had it returning so I either lost it in the bar in arrivals, the 16a bus or in a short taxi journey from Whitehall to Finglas. I reported it lost to the carriage office, Dublin bus and the police.This was the second passport I lost in similar circumstances, I'm wondering, am I gonna have to endure a load of red tape to get a new one?Can I use passport express or do I have to go into the office in person? Thanks

hi all! im travelling to London on Friday for a wedding and loan and behold i haven't been able to find my passport despite frantically searching for it and coincidentally my drivers license is off for renewal at the same time. has anyone here ever used the rapid renewal service? are you guaranteed to get thate passport the same day? and do ryanair accept any other forms of I.D?

You can travel with any airline except Ryanair to the UK on various types of Photo ID (not just a driver's licence).

Rapid renewal passports only apply if you haven't got a bad history of having lost/stolen passports. They'll issue the passport before your flight so no need to worry there*

(*disclaimer: assuming all your paperwork is in order, your witness is contactable, your photos comply with the standards, etc)

I lost my passport after i returned from the Netherlands,i had it returning so I either lost it in the bar in arrivals, the 16a bus or in a short taxi journey from Whitehall to Finglas. I reported it lost to the carriage office, Dublin bus and the police.This was the second passport I lost in similar circumstances, I'm wondering, am I gonna have to endure a load of red tape to get a new one?Can I use passport express or do I have to go into the office in person? Thanks

Passport Express would be quickest if you've had a lost/stolen passport. You'll be subject to extra checks though and it will probably take longer than a simple renewal. Also be aware that your next passport will probably be restricted to 1 year because you've got 2 lost/stolen passports.

You'll probably get a 2 year restricted passport. If you manage to keep that for 2 years you'll get a 10 year passport again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

You can't refuse an Irish citizen a passport but you can severely restrict the validity of the passport. A 6 month passport is the worst I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

You'll probably get a 2 year restricted passport. If you manage to keep that for 2 years you'll get a 10 year passport again.

Will it cost the same?

Will it cost the same?

Ya, it'll cost the same as a 10 year passport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement