Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

And will have to pay again when the 2 years are up?

Ya, you have to pay full whack again after 2 years. It's a penalty designed to make people take more care of their passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

My boyfriend has lost his passport and we are due to fly on the 30th of this month. He's been in touch and they've said he's to apply with birth cert, utility letters etc
    If he needs to use the rapid renewal does he have to go to make appointment for Dublin or will the Cork office do? Also would I be able to go in his place if I have all the things requested of him? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

pookiesboo wrote: »
    My boyfriend has lost his passport and we are due to fly on the 30th of this month. He's been in touch and they've said he's to apply with birth cert, utility letters etc
    If he needs to use the rapid renewal does he have to go to make appointment for Dublin or will the Cork office do? Also would I be able to go in his place if I have all the things requested of him? Thanks

Rapid Renewal appointments are only available in the Dublin office.

You can lodge the application on his behalf, but be aware that if there is something wrong with the photos, signature, witness, documentation, etc, he would be able to resolve this himself on the spot, whereas if you were to present an incomplete/wrong application, you'd be sent away and asked to get him to resolve any issues.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Rapid Renewal appointments are only available in the Dublin office.

You can lodge the application on his behalf, but be aware that if there is something wrong with the photos, signature, witness, documentation, etc, he would be able to resolve this himself on the spot, whereas if you were to present an incomplete/wrong application, you'd be sent away and asked to get him to resolve any issues.

So if he has an appointment with the Cork office roughly how long would he be waiting for a passport?

So if he has an appointment with the Cork office roughly how long would he be waiting for a passport?

3 days is the quickest turnaround in Cork.

• Advertisement

Would he be taking a big chance if we just posted all his relative documents needed on Monday? Their office closes for Christmas on the 24th which means they'll be posting out prior to then. Does it take longer for a passport to process when it's been lost rather than just a normal renewal?

Would he be taking a big chance if we just posted all his relative documents needed on Monday? Their office closes for Christmas on the 24th which means they'll be posting out prior to then. Does it take longer for a passport to process when it's been lost rather than just a normal renewal?

Lost/stolen/first time passports take longer. I'd probably go to the counter. If there's a problem with the application they won't reject it as fast as they would with a postal application. If your travel date isn't immediate it'll probably take longer than 3 days but they will have your passport ready before your travel date (bring proof of travel with you). Cork office re-opens on Tuesday, December 29th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

onto stage 3 on friday....fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

So on the 12th day there was a problem - they sent me a letter to tell me what the problem was, to the wrong address! Luckily I know my neighbours and I got it the next day.

New pictures were needed so I sent them in. Now I'm back on Stage 2. Is the process any faster at this stage or am I back to square one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Scratch the above. It went from Stage 2 to printed today.

mine just went from 3 to 2 :/

filmfanb wrote: »
    mine just went from 3 to 2 :/

That just means someone's looking after your application. They've rescanned it because something was wrong (probably with your photo).

Should be with you very soon, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

I did a bit of travelling with my passport card recently, and thought I'd post my experiences here. TL;DR version: I never needed to use my passport book.

Land border from Romania to Hungary: Only checked by the Hungarians. No problem at all.

Land border from Hungary to Romania: Only checked by the Romanians. The border guard took a looonnngg time. I can't say for sure if it was because of the card, because he was also checking my family's passports at the same time in his little booth while we waited in the car, but the guard in the next booth processed four cars in the time that it took for mine.

Flying out of Romania (Cluj): No problem at passport control. Got a funny look at the boarding gate from the airline's ground staff, but no comment made.

Landing in Luton Airport: I wasn't allowed in the e-passport line. The person directing passengers there kept telling me "passports only" despite me pointing to the word "passport" on the card, as well as the biometric passport symbol. At least he was polite about it. Looking back, I suppose I could have flashed him my passport book, and then proceeded to try the card in the machine anyway. Instead, I went to the regular passport control queue. The guard had never seen nor heard of passport cards, but was very impressed with it, and let me through without any hassle. I presume the guard at the e-passport line had also never heard of them.

Flying out of Luton: No problem.

Arriving in Venice Treviso: No problem, no comments.

Flying out of Venice Treviso: The border guard had never seen a passport card before, but accepted it. She seemed impressed, and was showing it off to her colleagues. :) The ground staff at the boarding gate didn't quite know what to do with the card. I had to explain that it was a new thing, and I was allowed to board.

Arriving in Romania (Cluj): No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Amsterdam no problem yesterday either.

Friend had issues with French control at St Pancras in London

Almost got past a TSA ID check on a domestic US flight as well

That just means someone's looking after your application. They've rescanned it because something was wrong (probably with your photo).

Should be with you very soon, so.

Just jumped back to three :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

In the middle of renewing my passport atm, I booked flights with Ryanair online last week I just put down my first and last name (no middle name) now I am panicking whether my middle name is on my passport. Will this matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Passport received by po on 27th/11 at stage 2 now since 1/12... Issue date is giving 10/12 I've flights booked for the 15th really hope it's here

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    In the middle of renewing my passport atm, I booked flights with Ryanair online last week I just put down my first and last name (no middle name) now I am panicking whether my middle name is on my passport. Will this matter?

That's really a Ryanair issue, not a passport issue tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

No .. doesn't matter .. I never put down my middle name

passprt on stage 5 and printed. feeling good.

anyone know the turn around time on the passport cards for london? need to grab one once i recieve the passport

filmfanb wrote: »
    anyone know the turn around time on the passport cards for london? need to grab one once i recieve the passport

about 5 working days at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Just back from trip to Prague, brought both passport book and card with me just to be safe. No problem entering with the card, but could not use it in the electronic lane.
    When leaving, official had never come across card before and asked if i had passport book which I duly showed. Not sure what outcome would have been if I had'nt brought full passport althought staff perfectly civil towards me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Does anyone have any reports about using the passport card in Lisbon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Anyone know how do I apply for an Irish passport when I'm living in the USA as far as I know the forms require GARDA to sign it and witness it etc .. How does this work if I'm abroad ? Can't find much info online my current passport is still been issued which will be a 10 year one and I'm living in Ireland right now. But when it expires and I'm living in the USA what do I do ? :/ thanks for any help

jay93 wrote: »
    Anyone know how do I apply for an Irish passport when I'm living in the USA as far as I know the forms require GARDA to sign it and witness it etc .. How does this work if I'm abroad ? Can't find much info online my current passport is still been issued which will be a 10 year one and I'm living in Ireland right now. But when it expires and I'm living in the USA what do I do ? :/ thanks for any help

You can get an application from the nearest consulate in the US. There's quite a few Irish consulates and honorary consulates in the US. A lawyer or notary can complete the bit the Gardaí would complete here. The consulate take the payment and send the application electronically to Cork passport office.

You would need to get an APS2E form from your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate.

List of Embassies and Consulates in the USA here: https://www.dfa.ie/embassies/irish-embassies-abroad/north-and-central-america/united-states-of-america/

The information you seek is on the website of the relevant Embassy or Consulate (links to those sites are on the page above).

There's a longer list of people who can witness your application on an APS 2E - e.g., solicitor, lawyer, school principal, member of the clergy, member of police force, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

You would need to get an APS2E form from your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate.

List of Embassies and Consulates in the USA here: https://www.dfa.ie/embassies/irish-embassies-abroad/north-and-central-america/united-states-of-america/

The information you seek is on the website of the relevant Embassy or Consulate (links to those sites are on the page above).

There's a longer list of people who can witness your application on an APS 2E - e.g., solicitor, lawyer, school principal, member of the clergy, member of police force, etc.
    Doctor is another one. A neighbour of mine is a doctor, so I just got him to do it. Better than paying a lawyer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Will you remember this thread in 10 years time?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement