Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

vicwatson wrote: »
    How long to wait for a renewal passport if sending it via normal post, im not in a rush.

Passport applications can't be sent in by normal post, they have to go through the Passport Express service. It's normally 10 working days but it can longer during busy periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Huh? Has that changed, you mean I'm obligated to use passport express??

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Do I have to use Passport Express when applying, or can I just use normal post? I've read a few sites and they all refer to the Passport Express service, but none give details of using normal post. We are not traveling until the end of May, so not in that big a hurry.

I am applying for 3 passports for my children (one of them is a renewal). If sending via normal post, can I put all the forms and photos in the same envelope, or do I need a separate envelope for each application.

Also is the address below the correct one, if sending via Normal Post?

Passport Office
    17-18 Dawson Street
    Dublin 2
    Ireland

conor_ie wrote: »
    Passport applications can't be sent in by normal post, they have to go through the Passport Express service. It's normally 10 working days but it can longer during busy periods.

just saw this posted after I had submitted my post. Guess I'm obliged to use Passport Express then.

So everyone is obliged to pay extra to an post instead of sending directly to the passport office ??? Seems crazy

• Advertisement

Its also factual, bloody hell this country, here goes another 16 euro on top of the 160.grrr

http://www.thejournal.ie/changes-to-passport-applications-928785-May2013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Its also factual, bloody hell this country, here goes another 16 euro on top of the 160.grrr

http://www.thejournal.ie/changes-to-passport-applications-928785-May2013/

Where are you getting the 160 figure from?

Sending applications in by ordinary post increases the risk of documents getting lost in the post, as they are not insured or trackable. Using Passport Express you can track your application from start to finish and any issues with envelopes going missing can be resolved with the Post Office / Passport Office using the tracking number from the envelope.

Passport Express is cheaper than going in via the counter. I don't see what the issue is here.

fxotoole wrote: »

Sending applications in by ordinary post increases the risk of documents getting lost in the post, as they are not insured or trackable. Using Passport Express you can track your application from start to finish and any issues with envelopes going missing can be resolved with the Post Office / Passport Office using the tracking number from the envelope.

Passport Express is cheaper than going in via the counter. I don't see what the issue is here.

I guess the point is that it would be nice to have the option to still send by standard post. I'm already paying €79.50 for 3 passports for our children and now I have to fork out another €16 for Passport Express.

fxotoole wrote: »

2 x €80.00 passports = €160.00

Never had a letter lost in my life thankully

How is it cheaper?

And here is another ridiculous issue -

So you are forced to spend extra money when buying an overpriced passport, you go into the post office AFTER completing Credit Card details on the form (why are they still there) and they tell you you cannot pay by Credit Card, that you must pay the FULL €176.00 on a Debit Card - what a joke !

If it wasn't such a pain in the rear to have formed completed in first place and the time to get into a Garda station etc I'd have taken back the forms and not left my Credit Card details on the form.

These forms must be at least 3 years old, picked up a "new" form on the way out of post office and they STILL have an area where you put credit card details - a joke of a system.

• Advertisement

DerryRed wrote: »
    I guess the point is that it would be nice to have the option to still send by standard post. I'm already paying €79.50 for 3 passports for our children and now I have to fork out another €16 for Passport Express.

Exactly and make sure you haven't filled out credit card payment details on the form when you go into post office as they want payment UP FRONT for the passports as well as the passport express cost :mad:

The less personal details they have the better. They don't need your credit card details and shouldn't be asking for them. If you go in in person then they surely have a machine with which you stick your card in and so dont retain such information.

Exactly and make sure you haven't filled out credit card payment details on the form when you go into post office as they want payment UP FRONT for the passports as well as the passport express cost :mad:

The less personal details they have the better. They don't need your credit card details and shouldn't be asking for them. If you go in in person then they surely have a machine with which you stick your card in and so dont retain such information.

Seriously. Mine are all ready to go and I've selected Credit Card as payment method. I was gonna take these into the post office tomorrow.

Seriously. Mine are all ready to go and I've selected Credit Card as payment method. I was gonna take these into the post office tomorrow.

It's a fact unfortunately. A load of crap if you ask me. Bring a debit card only to post office. And you might as well leave your personal cc information on the form to save you having to go back and complete new forms and the hassle of going back to GARDA station and having them stamped too.

It's a fact unfortunately. A load of crap if you ask me. Bring a debit card only to post office. And you might as well leave your personal cc information on the form to save you having to go back and complete new forms and the hassle of going back to GARDA station and having them stamped too.

According to https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/passport-express/

Payment can be made by credit/debit cards, cash or cheque (made payable to An Post). View Passport Express fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

I just went into the post office with my forms that already had the credit card details on them. They simply crossed out the credit card details and I paid with debit card. Didn't have to go back to the GARDA station.

I just went into the post office with my forms that already had the credit card details on them. They simply crossed out the credit card details and I paid with debit card. Didn't have to go back to the GARDA station.

What are the facts here?

Should an post just take the passport express fee and leave credit card details on the form?

And if not

Are an post obliged to take credit card payment for the passports and passport express costs or are they only obliged to take debit card? Seems pathetic they won't take both

Oh and ps Derryred I wasn't suggesting you must go back to Garda station. I Was just saying if you didn't want to send them credit card details you would have had to make the trip back, that's why I just left them be on the form....in hindsight I should have scribbled over them

According to https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/passport-express/

Payment can be made by credit/debit cards, cash or cheque (made payable to An Post). View Passport Express fees.

Can individual Post offices make the decision not to take a credit card for payment for a passport/passport express service then I wonder or was this postmaster being the knob he normally is?

Can individual Post offices make the decision not to take a credit card for payment for a passport/passport express service then I wonder or was this postmaster being the knob he normally is?

It's not clear as elsewhere on the AnPost site (http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/How+to+get+or+renew+your+Irish+Passport.htm) it doesn't mention credit card as a payment option.

Very confusing. I've tried to use my credit card for a few other services in various post offices over recent months and was unable to do so.

It's not clear as elsewhere on the AnPost site (http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/How+to+get+or+renew+your+Irish+Passport.htm) it doesn't mention credit card as a payment option.

Very confusing. I've tried to use my credit card for a few other services in various post offices over recent months and was unable to do so.

Imo if it's a case that ALL post offices don't take credit cards then an post really need to get with the fact it's 2016.

• Advertisement

Confirmed by An Post GPO that An Post only take debit cards and NOT credit cards, so be aware peoples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Edit: scratch that found my tracking number saved on my phone just checked it, it was received the 20th of Jan and says it's at part 2 of 6, but it's says issue target date is the 2nd of Feb and it was last updated the 1st. Does that mean they have hit a snag or just haven't got back around to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Edit: scratch that found my tracking number saved on my phone just checked it, it was received the 20th of Jan and says it's at part 2 of 6, but it's says issue target date is the 2nd of Feb and it was last updated the 1st. Does that mean they have hit a snag or just haven't got back around to it?

Demand seems to be up at the moment and their website states that turnaround times have increased.
    If your application is a renewal it should be done in the next couple of days, if you've lost your passport or applying for the first time it may take about another week or so.

Malee wrote: »
    Demand seems to be up at the moment and their website states that turnaround times have increased.
    If your application is a renewal it should be done in the next couple of days, if you've lost your passport or applying for the first time it may take about another week or so.
    Thanks for the reply here's hoping as I need to get my esta sorted for going to america end of March. What's getting me is the lack of update on the site when tracking, it hasn't been updated since Monday and it says expected issue date is Tuesday, just makes it look like it's been misplaced and what's the point in having tracking, if it dosnt actually track your passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply here's hoping as I need to get my esta sorted for going to america end of March. What's getting me is the lack of update on the site when tracking, it hasn't been updated since Monday and it says expected issue date is Tuesday, just makes it look like it's been misplaced and what's the point in having tracking, if it dosnt actually track your passport.

It hasn't updated because there's nothing to update. It's just sitting in a box that will be dealt with in date order.

It hasn't updated because there's nothing to update. It's just sitting in a box that will be dealt with in date order.

Well it was updated today and it didn't change anything, and still says it's expected to be issued on the 2nd of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Has anyone successfully applied for one of these recently? Just a quick look through this thread, it seems some people have had trouble taking the photo with a phone. I'm thinking of trying with a laptop.....anyone done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

OK, More of a Comment than a question. I used AnPost to renew our family's Passports 12 days ago, The tracking service still says that My application is still At stage 1 of 6.

So I decided to contact them to see if there is a problem with the process ( I am aware that they are moving office and that might cause some disruption) I rang the number +353 (0)1 671 1633 to get the prerecorded message " Thank You for calling the passport office, Due to the large Volume of calls...." ect. But if everyone is going straight to the prerecorded message, How are they experiencing a large number of calls? They don't even offer You the opportunity to hold, Just the message and then You are Cut off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Bistoman wrote: »
    OK, More of a Comment than a question. I used AnPost to renew our family's Passports 12 days ago, The tracking service still says that My application is still At stage 1 of 6.

So I decided to contact them to see if there is a problem with the process ( I am aware that they are moving office and that might cause some disruption) I rang the number +353 (0)1 671 1633 to get the prerecorded message " Thank You for calling the passport office, Due to the large Volume of calls...." ect. But if everyone is going straight to the prerecorded message, How are they experiencing a large number of calls? They don't even offer You the opportunity to hold, Just the message and then You are Cut off.

The passport office isn't a call centre and just doesn't have the resources to have a load of people answering phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

The passport office isn't a call centre and just doesn't have the resources to have a load of people answering phones.

I'm glad to hear that, But as a body of the state I do expect to be able to contact them wen needed. I pay enough for the service.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement