Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Bistoman wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear that, But as a body of the state I do expect to be able to contact them wen needed. I pay enough for the service.

Take that one up with your local TDs. The passport service is understaffed and under resourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Take that one up with your local TDs. The passport service is understaffed and under resourced.

To be fair, it's principally an issue for the operational management of the Passport Office - they need to allocate the resources as they see fit but should also communicate this. There is no point in suggesting that there is the prospect of external communication (whether that be phone, online chat, email etc) if it is not going to be serviced. I imagine it would be simpler to allocate a short period during the day for telephonic communications rather than what I imply from your post which is that it is undertaken on an ad hoc basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

The passport service is understaffed and under resourced.

Even taking that into account, Why advertise the Phone number if nobody is going to answer? I get that they may be under pressure with the office move and so on, But You would think that the prerecorded message should state that there is no point in trying to ring at any time, Not some bulls**t about a large number of calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well my application for my passport card is now winging its way through the system. I used the android app in the end, and thanks to whoever posted here that a shiny white background seemed to work, I finally had a photo accepted after about ten tries - the bathroom door provided the background, but as the system just wouldn't let me wear my specs, I don't really know how I got it to work in the end, as I couldn't see what I was doing! They ask you to write down your reference number before exiting.....there must be an easier way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Hi, can you travel back to Ireland from Netherlands on the same day your passport expires (Ryanair)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

"Received on 02/02/2016

Application No. ********** is at Stage 1 of 6: Received and Registered

The application ha been registered. Applications may remain at this stage for approx 4-6 working day"

Still at Stage One this morning, Should I be concerned?

Edit: Update.
    "Application Number Entered: *************

Application No. ************** is at Stage 2 of 6: Your documentation is being processed.

Application form, submitted documents and photographs are scanned onto passport system for work at stages 3 and 4. This element of the process takes on average 4 working days.
    Target Issue Date: 15/02/2016
    Your Application was Last Updated: 15/02/2016 14:12

Thats Today, Do You think It will show up in the late post?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm in a bit of a bind here so hopefully someone can answer my question.

I need to get a new passport asap. I tried to make an appointment with the passport office for tomorrow but they have no appointments available.
    I also tried to ring them but that's a waste of time as already discussed above.

My question is, if I just showed up tomorrow and was willing to wait around, would I get seen or would I be just turned away?

El Guapo! wrote: »

I need to get a new passport asap. I tried to make an appointment with the passport office for tomorrow but they have no appointments available.
    I also tried to ring them but that's a waste of time as already discussed above.

My question is, if I just showed up tomorrow and was willing to wait around, would I get seen or would I be just turned away?
    If It was urgent, I think that's what I would do. Do You know where the new Office is?

Knockmaun House, 42-47, Lower Mount Street, Dublin 2, D02 TN83.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

If It was urgent, I think that's what I would do. Do You know where the new Office is?

Knockmaun House, 42-47, Lower Mount Street, Dublin 2, D02 TN83.

Thanks for that.

Yeah it's pretty urgent. I think I'll just head in and chance my arm and hopefully I can get sorted. Tomorrow is the only chance I have to get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Hi all, My passport will be out of date this year, i have it in my marriage name but would like to renew it in my maiden and marriage name
    ie double barrel, As i have no documentation with my maiden name (I am married a good few years) is there any other possible way of doing it,Thanks

"Received on 02/02/2016

The application ha been registered. Applications may remain at this stage for approx 4-6 working day"

Tomorrow, I'd say.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If this is the incorrect forum I would appreciate a redirect from a mod if possible. :)

I applied for passports for my kids and myself on 20th January by passport express, I was told they would be back by the 3rd February. It now 18 working days since I sent them, and no passports. The tracking system, which hasn't updated since the 10th, says they are at stage 2 of 6. But its said that since the 3rd. The turnover time is supposed to be 15 days currently (it was 10 when I submitted them)

My son is due to travel on a school tour next week and I am at my wits end. They dont answer the phone and all emails remain unanswered too. I dont live in Dublin, work all week and havent a clue what my next move is.

Can anyone help?

Hi all, My passport will be out of date this year, i have it in my marriage name but would like to renew it in my maiden and marriage name
    ie double barrel, As i have no documentation with my maiden name (I am married a good few years) is there any other possible way of doing it,Thanks

2 forms of proof of usage showing the double barrel name. The proof of usage should be already 2 years old upon making the application. You're out of luck with no proof of usage.

El Guapo! wrote: »

Most probably if they finish an appointment early. Bring proof of travel with you.

"Received on 02/02/2016

No, stage 2 is the scanning of documentation. It's waiting to be assigned to a checker now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Does your birth cert not show your maiden name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has applied for the Irish Passport Card using the Android phone app?

I tried several times and no matter what I do I cannot get it to accept the photo it takes as part of the process. I line up perfectly, no glasses, no smiling or anything like that and in good light but it never ever accepts the photo as being good enough.

Has anyone had any success with the app and if so have you any tips for getting past the photo stage??

• Registered Users Posts: 82,630 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What phone do you have, what resolution in the camera on it?

• Advertisement

What phone do you have, what resolution in the camera on it?

I've a OnePlus One - http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_one-6327.php

I tried both the 5mp front camera and the 13mp rear camera without success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

On the passport megathread they suggest a white shiny background such as a standard internal door works best for the app

^^ Thanks Athtrasna, I'll give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Spent a very frustrating evening trying to upload the photo in vain. When I tried it outdoors the following morning against a magnolia wall it worked first time.

athtrasna wrote: »
    On the passport megathread they suggest a white shiny background such as a standard internal door works best for the app

That was me! It still took about a dozen goes as I wear glasses and can't see much wihout them. Was thinking today that the back of an election poster would be grand as a background!!! I think my phone has a 8mp camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

OK, More of a Comment than a question. I used AnPost to renew our family's Passports 12 days ago, The tracking service still says that My application is still At stage 1 of 6.

So I decided to contact them to see if there is a problem with the process ( I am aware that they are moving office and that might cause some disruption) I rang the number +353 (0)1 671 1633 to get the prerecorded message " Thank You for calling the passport office, Due to the large Volume of calls...." ect. But if everyone is going straight to the prerecorded message, How are they experiencing a large number of calls? They don't even offer You the opportunity to hold, Just the message and then You are Cut off.
    I'm glad to hear that, But as a body of the state I do expect to be able to contact them wen needed. I pay enough for the service.
    Even taking that into account, Why advertise the Phone number if nobody is going to answer? I get that they may be under pressure with the office move and so on, But You would think that the prerecorded message should state that there is no point in trying to ring at any time, Not some bulls**t about a large number of calls?

I agree with all the above, its so inefficient and not cheap :mad:
    "Received on 02/02/2016

Ive similar - you might let us know when you receive it so as we calculate "real" times
    vienne86 wrote: »
    Tomorrow, I'd say.

Are they that close to the "target issue date"?
    No, stage 2 is the scanning of documentation. It's waiting to be assigned to a checker now.

Or maybe not.

So if a passport is received on the 2nd with a target issue date of the 15th - then what is the realistic date of receiving it in the door?

This 10-day empty promise is a pile of crap really, and epitomises the inefficiencies we have in bureaucratic Ireland.

vicwatson wrote: »
    I agree with all the above, its so inefficient and not cheap :mad:

Are they that close to the "target issue date"?

Or maybe not.

So if a passport is received on the 2nd with a target issue date of the 15th - then what is the realistic date of receiving it in the door?

This 10-day empty promise is a pile of crap really, and epitomises the inefficiencies we have in bureaucratic Ireland.

Demand for passports at this time of year is completely unprecedented. Balbriggan has something like 25,000 applications at the moment. Trends from previous years indicate that this time of year is quieter in terms for passport applications but for whatever reason this year that's not the case. The amount of people applying for passports at any given time is completely outside the control of the Passport Service.

The issue date is system generated. The 10 day thing is not a promise. It's a guideline. The link below has current turnaround times:

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/passport-express/current-turnaround-times/

Dublin based applications are taking about 17 or 18 working days. Cork is at about 14 working days.

All passport offices have overtime for the next 2 weeks and temporary staff are in place. The temporary staff have even started earlier than usual to help clear the backlog. I don't see what more they can do.

The system works fine if people don't leave things to the last minute.

You can duck into a photo booth and take a selfie in there too if you're passing one.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I took the guidelines to be somewhat realistic. They are not. Wait times are not 15 days. If its taking 30 working days or more for renewals they need to tell people.

My application was at day 20 and stage two with no end in sight. I have someone going to their office for the second day in a row now in hopes of getting me sorted. I realise I left it close but based on the then 10 day guidline I thought I was ok. Any time I used the system in the past the 10 days was spot on.

In fact, on hearing of the delay Im being asked by everyone why I didnt use passport express. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It worked ok for me with the iphone 5, after a few attempts though. Got it the week it came out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement