Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 aperocot

Another oneplus one user here. Got it on the first go - happened to stand in front of a white internal door as it was the only space in my office that would work! Go figure.

Had to re-do as it wouldn't authorise my credit card and that cancelled the entire process (annoying) - and again the first photo was accepted.

So much hit and miss on this product. But it's great once you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I went into the passport office yesterday and left my application in.
    I checked my tracking number this morning and it says it's at "stage 5 of 6: Your passport has been printed."
    It seems to have moved exceptionally fast for me.

It's not getting posted out to me, I have to collect it. It's down as the target date for the 19th.
    Realistically, if it's already at stage 5, could I expect to collect it sooner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

When I got married I changed my passport surname to double barreled. If I want to change it back is two proofs of use of my maiden name that are two years old or more enough or do I have to wait for a divorce? I've never changed my name anywhere else so have plenty of stuff in my own name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Another Stage 2 victim here:
    Received on 26/01/2016

Application No. xxxxxxxxxxx is at Stage 2 of 6: Your documentation is being processed.

Target Issue Date: 08/02/2016

It's been at stage two for about two weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

All passport offices have overtime for the next 2 weeks and temporary staff are in place. The temporary staff have even started earlier than usual to help clear the backlog. I don't see what more they can do.

The system works fine if people don't leave things to the last minute.

They could employ more temporary staff?

The system is not working fine, it's broken, it shouldn't take 3/4 weeks to have a passport renewed, whatever about a new application and at a cost of €89.00? Come on

Their phone access is a joke also, as with this "tracking" thing !! My "tracking" was updated once in 14 days, hardly futuristic use of technology
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Another Stage 2 victim here:

It's been at stage two for about two weeks now.

:eek: mine just went to stage 2 today after sitting there for 10 Working Days, anyone else tell us how long it took from Stage 2 to receipt in the letterbox? Myrddin's has been at stage 2 for 14 days :eek:

I assume they cant come back and advise a problem if it has "passed" stage 1, or at what stage can they say, oi, you didn't do this properly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

There was a woman on with Anton Savage this morning who had called the passport office 57 times with no answer. At one point she was on hold for over 40 minutes. She also emailed and tweeted. Within 20 minutes of her contacting the show she received a call to tell her that her passport would be ready in about an hour. It doesn't seem right that a radio show can get in contact with the office so quickly when a paying customer had to try to many times with no results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>
    The system works fine if people don't leave things to the last minute.
    I'd actually disagree.

I apply through an embassy abroad who scan in my details to be processed. This happens with true German efficiency.

So, for a renewal where theres no checking to see who i am or if i am really irish or whatever (as the old passport accompanies the form, which is signed by witnesses verified by the embassy) , yet it still takes 6 to 8 weeks for someone in Dublin to push a button on their side to accept the application and to print the passport.

Its a pure joke to be honest.

EDIT: when I needed an emergency passport, I rang at 3 or 4 one evening and the embassy in Berlin had it to me by 8am the next morning. Seriously, why cant Dublin sort out their sh1t
    EDIT 2 : our kids have German passports (which are issued in a half hour as you wait) as we cannot be @rsed dealing with the irish passport process which is long, but you never are sure quite how long

There was a woman on with Anton Savage this morning who had called the passport office 57 times with no answer. At one point she was on hold for over 40 minutes. She also emailed and tweeted. Within 20 minutes of her contacting the show she received a call to tell her that her passport would be ready in about an hour. It doesn't seem right that a radio show can get in contact with the office so quickly when a paying customer had to try to many times with no results.

How does today fm have a number that we don't, how can they get in touch with the passport office and we joe saps can't. It's a joke

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

After two days queuing, I got mine. It was complete chaos in the passport office today apparently.

I checked my tracking number again just now and it says it's ready for collection.
    My collection date isn't until Friday but I presume I can just head in and get it tomorrow since it says it's ready.
    All in all, it moved really quickly for me. I only dropped it in yesterday morning. I did pay €150 for it though so that probably bumps it up the queue quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

athtrasna wrote: »
    When I got married I changed my passport surname to double barreled. If I want to change it back is two proofs of use of my maiden name that are two years old or more enough or do I have to wait for a divorce? I've never changed my name anywhere else so have plenty of stuff in my own name.

Ya, 2 forms of proof of usage of your maiden name that are at least 2 years old when you make your application should do.

vicwatson wrote: »
    They could employ more temporary staff?

The system is not working fine, it's broken, it shouldn't take 3/4 weeks to have a passport renewed, whatever about a new application and at a cost of €89.00? Come on

Their phone access is a joke also, as with this "tracking" thing !! My "tracking" was updated once in 14 days, hardly futuristic use of technology

:eek: mine just went to stage 2 today after sitting there for 10 Working Days, anyone else tell us how long it took from Stage 2 to receipt in the letterbox? Myrddin's has been at stage 2 for 14 days :eek:

I assume they cant come back and advise a problem if it has "passed" stage 1, or at what stage can they say, oi, you didn't do this properly?

The final say on temporary staff comes from the Department of Finance. Foreign Affairs will say we need x number of staff and Finance will say you're only getting Y number of staff.

The system works fine for people that don't leave things to the last minute.

And no, no problems would come to light at stage 1 or 2 of the process. You're just waiting for it to hit someones desk now.

Oryx wrote: »
    I took the guidelines to be somewhat realistic. They are not. Wait times are not 15 days. If its taking 30 working days or more for renewals they need to tell people.

My application was at day 20 and stage two with no end in sight. I have someone going to their office for the second day in a row now in hopes of getting me sorted. I realise I left it close but based on the then 10 day guidline I thought I was ok. Any time I used the system in the past the 10 days was spot on.

In fact, on hearing of the delay Im being asked by everyone why I didnt use passport express. :)

Get the person going in for you to bring your proof of travel. Put your application number on it so it can be linked to your application.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I went into the passport office yesterday and left my application in.
    I checked my tracking number this morning and it says it's at "stage 5 of 6: Your passport has been printed."
    It seems to have moved exceptionally fast for me.

It's not getting posted out to me, I have to collect it. It's down as the target date for the 19th.
    Realistically, if it's already at stage 5, could I expect to collect it sooner?

You must have shown you were travelling in 3 days or less. You were looked after. If it says ready for collection go on in.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Get the person going in for you to bring your proof of travel. Put your application number on it so it can be linked to your application.

I got sorted. Thanks.

You must have shown you were travelling in 3 days or less. You were looked after. If it says ready for collection go on in.

Yep. I'm pretty impressed by it to be honest. It says ready for collection now so I'll pick it up tomorrow.
    Thanks for your replies here. Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ya, 2 forms of proof of usage of your maiden name that are at least 2 years old when you make your application should do.

Thanks a million. Was going to wait until it expires next year but have decided to do it this year as a present to myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

There just isn't the resources there to answer every phone call or email. In an ideal world there would be but there isn't. If you took 6 people away from dealing with passports to answer the phone you'd be down the bones of 1000 passports a week. That would just lead to even more phone calls. You can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

There just isn't the resources there to answer every phone call or email. In an ideal world there would be but there isn't. If you took 6 people away from dealing with passports to answer the phone you'd be down the bones of 1000 passports a week. That would just lead to even more phone calls. You can't win.

I totally understand that. I just don't understand how there was time for someone to talk to a radio show within 20 minutes of them finding out about the issue when the woman herself couldn't get in contact with them at all.

• Advertisement

I totally understand that. I just don't understand how there was time for someone to talk to a radio show within 20 minutes of them finding out about the issue when the woman herself couldn't get in contact with them at all.

That is very concerning. DOB owns today FM right?

There should be the resources, I know people in county councils for example that have been promoted to higher positions in the council though they have no experience in that area, IE environment to roads, it can be done I'd someone gets their damn finger out ffs

I remember something similar happened last year with Joe Duffy but there was no intervention from the passport service.

I would always be wary in these cases when people go on Joe Duffy as to whether or not you are getting the full story from them. They might be leaving out the part where they have lost 4 passports in the past or they booked a trip for 4 days time but they've never had a passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

My passport arrived today, 18th Feb. Application posted on Sat 23rd Jan so that is almost 4 weeks turnaround time for a simple renewal.
    If you are thinking of going to the Euro 2016s and you need a new passport better get your skates on as turnarounds can only get worse from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

vicwatson wrote: »
    That is very concerning. DOB owns today FM right?

Maybe you should check out the conspiracy theories thread instead of implying rubbish like that.

Departmental Press Offices would have an ear out on national radio stations no matter who owned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

I have two applications in at the moment - one for a renewal, one for a first passport.

They were both at Stage 2 for eight working days, instead of the quoted average of four. The application for the renewal then jumped to Stage 5 (printed) today, while the new passport application is at Stage 3 (entitlement check). Let's see how long it will take to catch up. :)

Maybe you should check out the conspiracy theories thread instead of implying rubbish like that.

Departmental Press Offices would have an ear out on national radio stations no matter who owned them.

Sorry but this was only put out on the radio AFTER Today FM contacted the Passport office, forget conspiracy theories but how do the likes of TODAY FM get to contact a Gov Dept that Joe Sap cant access for love or money?? Answer that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Or just the press office

Or if it was resolved before telling the story on the radio, it just was resolved normally as their application reached the top of the queue, but that wouldn't have made a good story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

hi,

we have flights booked for the 1st of March which felt like ages away when we sent in our son's passport for renewal at the end of January..
    however, now it is still on stage 3, having spent 10 working days on stage 2 or sth.

at this pace the passport would be only ready by mid-March. ha!

what can we do at this stage? we are going for a wedding so it's not like we can just rearrange (plus costs loads of €€€€).

I am willing to pay extra for one of those appointments but can they do anything if your passport is already in the system??? We cannot spend 2 days queuing so really don't know what to do..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement