Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭theonlygirl

My dog chewed a corner off my passport, about 1cm x 1cm in size. Its one of the new scanned passports so the photo page is hard plastic, and the plastic is now chewed and a small bit missing. There is no damage to any of my info it is just on the top left corner of the photo page. I have attached a photo. Basically I went to the passport office and they told me there's nothing they can do beyond the current 27 to 32 working days express service and I am due to fly on Friday! What are my chances of being allowed to travel on it do you think??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

My dog chewed a corner off my passport, about 1cm x 1cm in size. Its one of the new scanned passports so the photo page is hard plastic, and the plastic is now chewed and a small bit missing. There is no damage to any of my info it is just on the top left corner of the photo page. I have attached a photo. Basically I went to the passport office and they told me there's nothing they can do beyond the current 27 to 32 working days express service and I am due to fly on Friday! What are my chances of being allowed to travel on it do you think??

Where are you flying to?

Flying to Barcelona. There is absolutely no damage to the picture or any of the barcode or anything, just purely a piece of missing plastic

Flying to Barcelona. There is absolutely no damage to the picture or any of the barcode or anything, just purely a piece of missing plastic

Tough one to call to be honest. Who are you flying with?

Ryanair! Which gives me a feeling of dread that I won't be getting on that plane! I guess i'm just holding out hope that they will take pity because of the passport office problems and let me through.

• Advertisement

Ryanair! Which gives me a feeling of dread that I won't be getting on that plane! I guess i'm just holding out hope that they will take pity because of the passport office problems and let me through.

I don't know what to say. With Ryanair, as I'm sure you know, you have to check-in online and so staff will only see your passport when you're at the gate. It doesn't stop them offloading you at that point though.

It's a gamble. You could risk it and get lucky, or risk it and get offloaded..

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭buttonsflyie

Well finally I got my passport after I would say my name being muck in the passport office and every government office.

All it took was a phone call to the supervisor in Balbriggan and done passport collected on Sunday.

I am still writing to the department to complain its a joke.

Hope everyone else waiting gets there but I was advised best way to get it done is via passport express in the po.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bailey18

passport in the post! fingers crossed it'll be here tomorrow. received 29/4 so if it arrives tomorrow that'll be 18 working days. good luck to everyone else!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

bailey18 wrote: »
    passport in the post! fingers crossed it'll be here tomorrow. received 29/4 so if it arrives tomorrow that'll be 18 working days. good luck to everyone else!:D

Mine is received that date as well but ive no status update. Hopefully it will be here this week as well :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mike5

PLEASE TAKE THIS TO PASSPORT OFFICE TO AVOID EMBARRASSMENT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

bailey18 wrote: »

Same date received here. Just changed to being checked today. Hopefully it'll be sorted soon

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Mine was received 22/4 and I received it in the post today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Does anyone know what the system is like for emergency passports these days? My sister is travelling to Italy next week but has just realised that her sons' (4) passport is out of date. She lives in Mayo and is wondering if she comes to Dublin and goes to the passport office tomorrow will they process it that day...what are the queues like there days. I can collect it in a few days for her if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

does anyone have a timeline for the various stages that it takes to process the passport when you are tracing it online? mine was received on 30/4/2010 and the status has changed today to been checked. just checking to see if anyone knows from their own experience how long it should take to been approved, printed, ready for collection/dispatched.....

whatnext wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the system is like for emergency passports these days? My sister is travelling to Italy next week but has just realised that her sons' (4) passport is out of date. She lives in Mayo and is wondering if she comes to Dublin and goes to the passport office tomorrow will they process it that day...what are the queues like there days. I can collect it in a few days for her if necessary.

Unfortunately she hasn't a hope. I went in the other day with my dog-chewed passport, and I watched person after person approach the desks with the same stories as your sister and they were told that it's currently 27 days for counter service passports regardless of your situation.

The only exceptions are for family deaths or extreme emergencies but you need a letter on consular paper for that confirming the situation from an official.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Thanks theonlygirl

Not what they wanted to hear.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Luton Boy

Phoned the PPO today got through after 3 times trying. Spoke to a fella and he said my application was being processed and that I should have my passport within a week.

I told him I travel on 05/06 and he said that he will note that on the application and if I have not recieved anything by next Monday to call and arrange to pick the passport up from them. He was very helpful.

They recieved my application on the 04/05. Anyone needs to find out anything I suggest you call them, just keep trying if you don't get through after the first few tries.

Fingers Crossed :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Luton Boy

viztopia wrote: »
    does anyone have a timeline for the various stages that it takes to process the passport when you are tracing it online? mine was received on 30/4/2010 and the status has changed today to been checked. just checking to see if anyone knows from their own experience how long it should take to been approved, printed, ready for collection/dispatched.....

When I spoke to them today it seems like they are not updating the process on the website. My application has been at the first stage for 21days but the PPO said it will be ready in a week. Best bet is to call them and quote your application number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

viztopia wrote: »

All I can tell you was mine was reveived on 29/04 and had it's status changes to being checked last night. Now classed as Printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

It's brutal I had assumed as I had not heard anything that things were back to normal , the staff in PPO are now doing half the work for same money ( less levies etc) and when it is all fixed up they will be on overtime to clear the backlog and who suffers in the meantime -Joe Public - if they were honest about their convictions they would be out on strike not this go slow . I hope they privitise the PPO when this finished , I also hope crowds start showing up again queing for passports -the shower of s****s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 holidayplease

rilly99, explain exactly how they are doing only half the work...im interested to know.

Everything is taking twice as long

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Edit - Solved

Right, i was just curious to see what your reply would be. I happen to know your incorrect. I recently focused an assignment for college on the industrial action at the passport office and the media backlash against their workers. The go slow their workers have undertaken is not the reason for the backlog experienced, infact their duties havent changed. I was told by the passport management I interviewed that they are over 100 staff down within all passport offices in Ireland and it is impossible for all passports to be issued on time. Management usually hire these extra workers on six month contracts but the Dept Foreign Affairs refused to santion the hiring of these staff this year due to government cutbacks.

Anyway, thankfully i have my passport, its has validity and im off to Greece next week:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Right, i was just curious to see what your reply would be. I happen to know your incorrect. I recently focused an assignment for college on the industrial action at the passport office and the media backlash against their workers. The go slow their workers have undertaken is not the reason for the backlog experienced, infact their duties havent changed. I was told by the passport management I interviewed that they are over 100 staff down within all passport offices in Ireland and it is impossible for all passports to be issued on time. Management usually hire these extra workers on six month contracts but the Dept Foreign Affairs refused to santion the hiring of these staff this year due to government cutbacks.

Anyway, thankfully i have my passport, its has validity and im off to Greece next week:D

And said management have always told the truth:rolleyes:

Elvis Jones, the fact is management didnt blame clerical workers. However the media portrayed them to be at fault. Its FACT that the passport offices are down that number of staff. I was told staff on average complete 20 passports per day, multiply that by the 100 staff they are down and you have the backlog cleared. It really is that simple:rolleyes:

P.S. anyone listen to the Joe Duffy show? A slightly less biased version of his show today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Elvis Jones, the fact is management didnt blame clerical workers. However the media portrayed them to be at fault. Its FACT that the passport offices are down that number of staff. I was told staff on average complete 20 passports per day, multiply that by the 100 staff they are down and you have the backlog cleared. It really is that simple:rolleyes:

and you have seen how it all works to qualify that statement ?

Not every member of staff will be doing that specific job if you know the system and how it works.

With your college assignment did you speak to any of the staff or was it just the manager ? ( just wondering as you need to see both sides )

Originally Posted by holidayplease viewpost.gif
    Right, i was just curious to see what your reply would be. I happen to know your incorrect. I recently focused an assignment for college on the industrial action at the passport office and the media backlash against their workers. The go slow their workers have undertaken is not the reason for the backlog experienced, infact their duties havent changed

So the go slow is not effecting the lenght of time it takes to issue passports ???

Wake up

and you have seen how it all works to qualify that statement ?

Not every member of staff will be doing that specific job if you know the system and how it works.

With your college assignment did you speak to any of the staff or was it just the manager ? ( just wondering as you need to see both sides )

Yes i spoke with the CPSU union rep from the public passport office, he works in the office aswell. And i was shown the figures from 2005 when they introduced a new system up to this year and the average of passports per person is 20 per day. Granted, not the entire 100+ staff would be in the same section but both management and the union rep stated the backlog would be contralable if these extra staff were employed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

My application status is now "is being checked". Im currently on working Day 19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement