Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So is it taking longer than 3 weeks?

Much longer it would seem. Tomorrow, it'll be in their hands four weeks, and still not have moved beyond stage 2 of 6. They state they recommend at least six weeks before travel to ensure there are no problems, but it would appear even 6 weeks is cutting it close. The only other consideration is that this one is a new passport application (passport express), and it obviously takes that bit longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Myrddin wrote: »
    Much longer it would seem. Tomorrow, it'll be in their hands four weeks, and still not have moved beyond stage 2 of 6. They state they recommend at least six weeks before travel to ensure there are no problems, but it would appear even 6 weeks is cutting it close. The only other consideration is that this one is a new passport application (passport express), and it obviously takes that bit longer.

Hmm. That's worrying. It was 7 weeks til travel day when I sent mine off.

Does anyone know if I can go to the passport office and reapply for an emergency one (don't care if I've to pay another hundred quid) even though mine is in the system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Not possible once you are in the system.

Yikes.

Just checked there and my target issue date is 11/3. Hopefully it'll arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

So not far off a month in the hands of the folks doing the processing, this application is still in stage 2. A full two weeks over the target issue date now, and still four steps to go...I can't help but notice that the 'last updated' section has been adjusted to today's date, yet the stage remains unchanged. What does this mean?

By the way this is for a first time passport, submitted by Passport Express

Staff are doing overtime at the moment, and by now a fair amount of temporary staff are in place (who have all worked for the passport office before), so the backlogs should clear quickly from now on. The renewal applications seem close to being back on track, the first time/lost passport applications will now start moving forward also.

Stage 1 and 2 mean that the application is registered onto the system, stages 3 and 4 mean somebody is checking the application, stages 5 and 6 have to do with printing and posting the passport. Usually stage 2 is the longest as the applications are waiting to be checked, stages 3 to 6 are normally done on the same day.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

So not far off a month in the hands of the folks doing the processing, this application is still in stage 2. A full two weeks over the target issue date now, and still four steps to go...I can't help but notice that the 'last updated' section has been adjusted to today's date, yet the stage remains unchanged. What does this mean?

By the way this is for a first time passport, submitted by Passport Express
    Mine was stuck the same way, but 5 days ahead of yours. Target date 3rd feb. Last Tuesday my mum went to Lower Mount street where they traced it, got it pulled as priority, and it was processed and she collected it by hand the following day. I wouldn't have it otherwise.

Huzzah
    Application Number Entered: xxxxxxxxxxx

Application No.xxxxxxxxxxx is at Stage 3 of 6: Your Application is scheduled to be checked for Passport entitlement.

Your passport application is currently being checked. This process can take up to 4 working days.

Target Issue Date: 08/02/2016
    Your Application was Last Updated: 23/02/2016 09:22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Malee wrote: »
    Stage 1 and 2 mean that the application is registered onto the system, stages 3 and 4 mean somebody is checking the application, stages 5 and 6 have to do with printing and posting the passport. Usually stage 2 is the longest as the applications are waiting to be checked, stages 3 to 6 are normally done on the same day.
    I have a passport renewal application that was at Stage 5 for two working days (last week). I have another application for a first passport that has been at Stage 3 for three working days so far.

carrotcake wrote: »
    I have a passport renewal application that was at Stage 5 for two working days (last week). I have another application for a first passport that has been at Stage 3 for three working days so far.

Well ok, I should have added "circumstances permitting". Systems do break down on occasion, but are usually back up and running within a couple of hours.
    Stage three for a first time application also means checks are being done with witnesses, dept of social protection etc, which can be done within minutes or may take days if persons are not contactable.

Application Number Entered: xxxxxxxxxxx
    This application could not be processed.

A letter outlining the reasons for this decision was posted to you on 23/02/2016. If you have not received this within two days of the date above, please contact An Post via http://www.anpost.ie/ or contact their Customer Care service at 1850 575859 and quote the following envelope reference no xxxxxxxxxxx

Great, really great. What are my options here, this is a first time passport for someone who is supposed to be travelling to Europe for a school trip mid March. Is there some sort of emergency passport option if we go to the passport office?

• Advertisement

Cheers, is this a queue up job or do you have to make an appointment?

Cheers, is this a queue up job or do you have to make an appointment?

Just post back whatever is required. It will take appx one week. You can put proof of travel in with the required documents.
    If it still gets to close for comfort you can contact them via phone, e-mail or twitter and they will move it along because they'll have all details present.

Malee wrote: »
    Just post back whatever is required. It will take appx one week. You can put proof of travel in with the required documents.
    If it still gets to close for comfort you can contact them via phone, e-mail or twitter and they will move it along because they'll have all details present.

I think I'll wait & see what the rejection letter states, & then just make an appointment (can be done via the site). It'll cost more but it's getting too close for comfort :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Great, really great. What are my options here, this is a first time passport for someone who is supposed to be travelling to Europe for a school trip mid March. Is there some sort of emergency passport option if we go to the passport office?

If child was born before 2005 you need child's birth cert and parent's marriage cert (if the names on the consent don't match the birth cert).

If the child born after 2005 you need child's birth cert, a parent's Irish passport or Irish birth cert and parent's marriage cert (if the names on the consent don't match the birth cert)

A parent/guard could have forgotten to sign section 7 or 8.

It was probably rejected for something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

"Renewals: 15 working days

Passport Express: 19/20 working days

NI Passport Express:17/18 working days"

How is it quicker to get a new passport in the north?

Also I'm at day 22 now waiting for a renewal. Still not hopeful about seeing it before next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Date received - 4th Feb

Date Printed - 22nd Feb

Date Posted - 24th Feb

Date Received - 25th Feb

So, 15 WORKING days or 21 Normal days

Get in early people

OK day 23 and 3 of the 4 passports arrived today. So that's 17 working days and counting. No idea why the last one is taking more time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Bistoman wrote: »
    "Renewals: 15 working days

Passport Express: 19/20 working days

NI Passport Express:17/18 working days"

How is it quicker to get a new passport in the north?

Also I'm at day 22 now waiting for a renewal. Still not hopeful about seeing it before next Monday.

It does state these are average turnaround times

• Advertisement

cdsb46 wrote: »
    It does state these are average turnaround times
    Average = a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data, in particular the mode, median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.

Now I cant find anyone who received Passports before the date stated. It looks more like a Minimum amount of time rather than an Average.

My application was received on 22/2. It's on stage 2 as of 27/2. Hopefully it won't be stuck there for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Proxima Centauri

Anyone got a number for the passport office, supposed to be travelling this Saturday, awaiting renewel of my sons passport.
    Its at stage 2, received on the 10/02. I have e-mailed and direct messaged through twitter but no response.

The number 01 6711633 seems to be disconnected

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

I'm travelling on the 18th March and need to get my passport renewed.

So I have 2 options, apply via the post today or wait another 2/3 days and I will be able to book and appointment online.

I was in the office in Dublin earlier today as I thought I might be able to make an appointment that way but I was just told I had to apply online if I want an appointment.

Anyone know what the best option would be?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Anyone got a number for the passport office, supposed to be travelling this Saturday, awaiting renewel of my sons passport.
    Its at stage 2, received on the 10/02. I have e-mailed and direct messaged through twitter but no response.

The number 01 6711633 seems to be disconnected
    I think your only option is to call in person .

Bugatti wrote: »
    I'm travelling on the 18th March and need to get my passport renewed.

So I have 2 options, apply via the post today or wait another 2/3 days and I will be able to book and appointment online.

I was in the office in Dublin earlier today as I thought I might be able to make an appointment that way but I was just told I had to apply online if I want an appointment.

Anyone know what the best option would be?

current turnaround time is 3 weeks, so if I were in your position, I'd apply online for an appointment, bring in proof of travel and pay for a fast track passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

current turnaround time is 3 weeks, so if I were in your position, I'd apply online for an appointment, bring in proof of travel and pay for an emergency passport

I hadn't considered an emergency passport. Is there a certain criteria for getting one? Does it cover all travel for a certain period of time and how long would it take to be issued? Also would I be able to get an entry via with an emergency passport as it's to Asia I'm travelling.

I hadn't considered an emergency passport. Is there a certain criteria for getting one? Does it cover all travel for a certain period of time and how long would it take to be issued? Also would I be able to get an entry via with an emergency passport as it's to Asia I'm travelling.

To get a fast track passport, you need to be travelling within 3-10 working days (so two weeks), and have proof of travel with you for your appointment.

No idea on visas, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No, definitely not. An Emergency passport would only be a short term thing. (ie to get you home from somewhere)

They can be issued in very rare circumstances in Dublin (eg a sudden death in the family that requires you to trvel immediately).

You won't get one for a pre-booked holiday

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    No, definitely not. An Emergency passport would only be a short term thing. (ie to get you home from somewhere)

They can be issued in very rare circumstances in Dublin (eg a sudden death in the family that requires you to trvel immediately).

You won't get one for a pre-booked holiday

My apologies, I meant a fast tracked one for travel happening in 3-10 days :o wrong terminology used.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement