Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

current turnaround time is 3 weeks, so if I were in your position, I'd apply online for an appointment, bring in proof of travel and pay for a fast track passport.

Turnaround seems longer then 3 weeks. My sons passport is at stage 2 and they received it on the 9th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

mohawk wrote: »
    Turnaround seems longer then 3 weeks. My sons passport is at stage 2 and they received it on the 9th.

Yeah, I'd imagine it's longer, I'm just going by what's stated on the dfa site, which is too long for the poster anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

With all the uncertainty over the UK we have started to think of the passports that need renewing so 2 questions really.

The eldest had a British passport as a child but this will be there first as an adult, his father was born in Belfast so I assume an Irish passport is an option? How easy is this?

We have been living in Ireland 12 years and the youngest is 20. And again his British passport has expired, can he get an Irish one? We said no but someone has told him as he has been here so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Myrddin wrote: »
    Application Number Entered: xxxxxxxxxxx
    This application could not be processed.

A letter outlining the reasons for this decision was posted to you on 23/02/2016. If you have not received this within two days of the date above, please contact An Post via http://www.anpost.ie/ or contact their Customer Care service at 1850 575859 and quote the following envelope reference no xxxxxxxxxxx

Great, really great. What are my options here, this is a first time passport for someone who is supposed to be travelling to Europe for a school trip mid March. Is there some sort of emergency passport option if we go to the passport office?

So the letter came out, & there seemed to be some error with the witnessing. Anyway, it included a form to have filled in & witnessed, & a return envelope. Got that done & sent if off...which they received back on the system yesterday. Checked again today and...
    Received on 29/02/2016

Application No. xxxxxxxxxxx is at Stage 5 of 6: Your Passport has been Printed.

Your Passport has been printed. The production and posting stage takes about 2 working days.

Delighted with that, I thought it was going to turn into an absolute saga, and go to the back of the queue. Turns out no, & any errors would appear to be dealt with very efficiently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

piperh wrote: »
    The eldest had a British passport as a child but this will be there first as an adult, his father was born in Belfast so I assume an Irish passport is an option? How easy is this?
    The child of a person born in Belfast is entitled to be an Irish citizen. So yes, this child is entitled to hold an Irish passport. Apply via Passport Express at the post office. Submit proof of either his father's Irish nationality or of his birth in Belfast.
    We have been living in Ireland 12 years and the youngest is 20. And again his British passport has expired, can he get an Irish one? We said no but someone has told him as he has been here so long.
    Depends on the parentage of this second child. If neither of his parents or grandparent's were born in on the island of Ireland then he is not an Irish citizen and so would need to apply for a certificate of naturalisation in order to become an Irish citizen. Only then would he be entitled to an Irish passport.

Incidentally..
    With all the uncertainty over the UK we have started to think of the passports that need renewing so 2 questions really.
    ..not quite sure I understand you here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

The child of a person born in Belfast is entitled to be an Irish citizen. So yes, this child is entitled to hold an Irish passport. Apply via Passport Express at the post office. Submit proof of either his father's Irish nationality or of his birth in Belfast.

Depends on the parentage of this second child. If neither of his parents or grandparent's were born in on the island of Ireland then he is not an Irish citizen and so would need to apply for a certificate of naturalisation in order to become an Irish citizen. Only then would he be entitled to an Irish passport.

Incidentally..

..not quite sure I understand you here.

Thank you that's very helpful.

With regards to my uncertainty comment I meant as to the EU in or out vote. No-one can say for sure yet what effect a no vote might have on British citizens living elsewhere, it's all uncharted territory and speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Eight working days so far at Stage 3 (entitlement check) for a first-time application. Stage 2 was another eight. Starting to get worried now that the application will be rejected.

With regards to my uncertainty comment I meant as to the EU in or out vote. No-one can say for sure yet what effect a no vote might have on British citizens living elsewhere, it's all uncharted territory and speculation.

Well, you are correct in the case of UK nationals living elsewhere within the EU, but in the case of Brits living in Ireland it's a non-issue.

British and Irish citizens have been free to live among these islands for many hundreds of years, under what we now call the Common Travel Area (CTA) agreement.

The CTA pre-dates the EU by a very, very long time. So Britain's in/out vote won't affect Brits in Ireland.

That said, if you're a British citizen living in Ireland for over 5 years and thus are eligible to apply for a certificate of naturalisation as an Irish citizen, I would strongly recommend this as it may very well come in handy for any future EU travel / migration that may ensue. You never know what's down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Stuck at stage 2 for 7 working days now after applying for my passport card.
    Tweeted them yesterday and was told that there was no issue with the application from what they could see but didn't answer when i asked if i'd have the card by the 9th March as I'm moving to the UK on the 10th

Application Number Entered:

Application No. is at Stage 2 of 6: Pending entitlement check.

Your application is in a queue waiting to be checked. Applications may remain at this stage for a number of days.
    Your Application was Last Updated: 22/02/2016 07:02

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well, you are correct in the case of UK nationals living elsewhere within the EU, but in the case of Brits living in Ireland it's a non-issue.
    As long as you intend to stay forever in Ireland or return to the UK, yes. If you had ideas of moving to another EU country in a year or two then it is very much an issue, and unfortunately if you've lived away from the UK for over 15 years like I have you are not allowed any say in the matter.
    That said, if you're a British citizen living in Ireland for over 5 years and thus are eligible to apply for a certificate of naturalisation as an Irish citizen, I would strongly recommend this as it may very well come in handy for any future EU travel / migration that may ensue. You never know what's down the line.
    Exactly what my wife and I intend to do, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I am getting nervous about it now. We leave on 17th March and it's still at stage 2. It's a first time kids passport so it's going to take longer to get past stage 3 then a renewal. At the rate it's going we will be lucky to get it in time.

I got my own passport renewed before Christmas and had it back a week later. I would never of guessed February to be a busier time then November.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Applied for a Passport Card on 11 Feb. Yesterday (1 March) it reached stage 5 - in a queue waiting to be printed. So nearly there.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Applied for a Passport Card on 11 Feb. Yesterday (1 March) it reached stage 5 - in a queue waiting to be printed. So nearly there.

Four of us (all adults, 3 of us a bit "foreign looking") went to Paris in December and travelled on our newly printed Irish passport cards. At CDG, when we *finally* reached the front of the immigration queue, the IO looked at us as if we have two heads each. "This.. passport?". He said. Our French isn't up to scratch, but we tried. He called over two colleagues, then they took all our passport cards away for about 5 minutes before coming back and giving us the all clear.

A little interesting but I suppose it's better to be over cautious than over complacent. And I guess as time goes by IOs around Europe will become more used to Irish passport cards.

Definitely a good idea though. Fits nicely in the wallet and not having to carry a passport means one less thing to forget or lose.

Anecdotally, I also used to have a UK National Identity Card (effectively the same thing). That was fun to travel on too, before David Cameron made his first priority cancelling them all - the day after he became PM. :(

I digress. Enjoy your passport card OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

This is the time to apply for new adult passport, there is the need to send a proof of name and a proof of address, how old can they be (3 months, 6 months, 12 months)?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Passport renewal application was received on 11 February and has been stuck at stage 2 since last Tuesday! Flying out Saturday week (12 March) so cutting it close! Will probably have to go to passport office, am I right in thinking that you can just drop in without an appointment and wait to be seen by someone? Have proof of travel so will bring that and hopefully can get it sorted by next week.

Passport renewal application was received on 11 February and has been stuck at stage 2 since last Tuesday! Flying out Saturday week (12 March) so cutting it close! Will probably have to go to passport office, am I right in thinking that you can just drop in without an appointment and wait to be seen by someone? Have proof of travel so will bring that and hopefully can get it sorted by next week.
    I had a renewal application in the middle of February that was eight working days at Stage 2. After that, it took two more working days before it reached Stage 6. Judging by that experience, I think you will need to chase them up in the passport office.

2 weeks/10 working days at Stage 3 now.

I'd just go in and wait if it were me.

My target date is 11/3, but it's still on stage 2 and stage 3 will be a long one for me because I lost my prior one.

Flying on 6th April so I'll probably have to go in to, so could you please post and let me know how you get on and if you get it after chasing it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No panic, brexit referendum not until June, no immediate threat

I'd just go in and wait if it were me.

My target date is 11/3, but it's still on stage 2 and stage 3 will be a long one for me because I lost my prior one.

Flying on 6th April so I'll probably have to go in to, so could you please post and let me know how you get on and if you get it after chasing it up?

Yep will probably go in tomorrow at lunchtime, hopefully it won't be manic! Yeah will do, hopefully you won't be in the same position as me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

alwald wrote: »
    This is the time to apply for new adult passport, there is the need to send a proof of name and a proof of address, how old can they be (3 months, 6 months, 12 months)?

Proof of name and proof of address is to show regular use of name and proof that address is used. There is no real timeframe for how recent or how old they have to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Hi quick question can anyone answer me,

My passport is expired ages,Im hoping to go to spain on the 19th of this month im guessing there no chance a renewal would be back to me in time,Can I get an emergency one for the 2 weeks?

Gamebred wrote: »
    Hi quick question can anyone answer me,

My passport is expired ages,Im hoping to go to spain on the 19th of this month im guessing there no chance a renewal would be back to me in time,Can I get an emergency one for the 2 weeks?

You can't get one for only two weeks.

You can make an appointment, go into the office, provide proof of travel and get a fast tracked one at a cost (unsure of the exact cost).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Highly recommend going down to the passport office if you're having an issue with passport express; travelling on Saturday, went down today at lunch, was seen in 10 mins and was told to go tomorrow to collect it! Just checked online and it's now on 5 of 6, even though it was still at 2 this morning! Phew!! Fingers crossed everything works out now tomorrow!

Highly recommend going down to the passport office if you're having an issue with passport express; travelling on Saturday, went down today at lunch, was seen in 10 mins and was told to go tomorrow to collect it! Just checked online and it's now on 5 of 6, even though it was still at 2 this morning! Phew!! Fingers crossed everything works out now tomorrow!

Brilliant, thanks so much for your update! Gives me hope! Did you make an appointment or just go in?

I hope it all goes smoothly and you enjoy the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

A post was shared in a group i am in on FB, where a woman in Dublin received a childs passport addressed to someone else. For the cost of a passport these days i really think they should include signed-for delivery.

Messaged them on Twitter over mine because it's still stuck at stage two and I'm panicking because it's a lost passport so stage 3 will also be a long one!

They've told me there is a 2 week delay on top of the quoted turnaround times, but have told me I'll definitely have my passport on time (travelling in 4 weeks).

Hopefully. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 StoryChief87

Hey! Going by the website the turnaround time for passport express was 11 working days. I thought that would be fine,,but my issue time is now 31/03/2016 which is passed my flight date. Even after paying the 90euro for the express can I call to the office and pay the extra fee to hurry it on or can/do I have to do a new application and new fee at the counter?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Applied for my passport card on 11 Feb. Yesterday it said it was still at stage 5, but it plopped through the letterbox this morning. So it was just short of four weeks. The website said 10 working days at the time I applied, but by definition this application was not urgent. Delighted with it, nice and neat. And given it took me about 14 attempts to get a photo accepted, it actually isn't too bad! Happy days!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement