Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

My passport is now at stage 6, ready for collection. I was scheduled to pick it up tomorrow at 2.30 but I presume I could go in at any time today to get it? Also what time is the office open until today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Hey! Going by the website the turnaround time for passport express was 11 working days. I thought that would be fine,,but my issue time is now 31/03/2016 which is passed my flight date. Even after paying the 90euro for the express can I call to the office and pay the extra fee to hurry it on or can/do I have to do a new application and new fee at the counter?
    Thanks.

Despite turnaround times, they advise applying 6 weeks before travel.

What you should do is go into the passport office 2 weeks before you travel, queue to speak to someone, provide proof of travel and it should be sorted for you. AFAIK you won't have to pay additional fees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Three weeks now at Stage 3! They're being very careful with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Jumped to Stage 5 (printed) today. That was 16 working days at Stage 3. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Applied through the embassy in London for my renewal (including post-marriage name change) on 1st March, received in Dublin on the 4th. Still at stage 1 and target issue date is the 14th of April - good thing I'm in no rush!

• Advertisement

Target issue date is today, still stuck at stage 2.

Dfa are now telling someone on Twitter they can't guarantee her passport (also delayed) before she travels!

Should I just go in on Monday to them with proof of travel, or wait til 10 working days before I travel (23rd March would be 2 weeks before travel)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Hi folks, I wonder if you can help me out. I'm just after moving house and in the process I have discovered that my passport has gone missing. I am in a bit of a panic now, because in filling out the passport replacement form I realised I will need another form of picture ID to apply for a replacement which I don't have! I don't have a drivers licence or even a student card. I know, it's so stupid of me to let a mistake like this happen but I wonder how I can get around it? Surely I'm not the only person this has happened to? My boyfriend said to go talk to the guards about it which I will be doing tomorrow but in the mean time is there anything you can tell me to put my mind to ease? I barely slept a wink last night worrying about it.

ETA: I have tried phoning and email the tax office to no avail, they seem to have no customer service available whatsoever!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Hi folks, I wonder if you can help me out. I'm just after moving house and in the process I have discovered that my passport has gone missing. I am in a bit of a panic now, because in filling out the passport replacement form I realised I will need another form of picture ID to apply for a replacement which I don't have! I don't have a drivers licence or even a student card. I know, it's so stupid of me to let a mistake like this happen but I wonder how I can get around it? Surely I'm not the only person this has happened to? My boyfriend said to go talk to the guards about it which I will be doing tomorrow but in the mean time is there anything you can tell me to put my mind to ease? I barely slept a wink last night worrying about it.

ETA: I have tried phoning and email the tax office to no avail, they seem to have no customer service available whatsoever!

Hi there,

Would you have a Public Services Card or even a GardaID card ? I would send them a tweet @PassportIRL as they are great on there imo

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Just an FYI

Changes have been brought in for First-Time Applicants: read here :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

How long are passport cards taking these days? I applied on 9th, travelling on 30th. My passport is in London at the moment for a visa application ( not needed for this next trip) and hoping I'll have that back early next week some time, but getting a buy nervous now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Does a newly issued child passport have to be signed by anyone? There is a page inside the passport that has a line for a signature, but I'm unsure about who has to sign this, if at all? It's for a school trip, so no parents accompanying while travelling...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got a passport for baby recently and I think it said something like over age 7 they had to sign, below that age it was just the parent/ guardians signature that was needed on the paperwork. I've probably remembered the age wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kearney101

My wife applied for passport for newborn on the 3rd of march with proof of travel, flights are on the 24th the return date with express is the 28th! Does she have any hope if she goes in to the passport office to get it quicker? She talked to someone on the phone and she said you may as well cancel your flights madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Myrddin wrote: »
    Does a newly issued child passport have to be signed by anyone? There is a page inside the passport that has a line for a signature, but I'm unsure about who has to sign this, if at all? It's for a school trip, so no parents accompanying while travelling...

No signature required, but a child may sign if he/she wants. Children would be expected to sign their own signature from age 7 upwards.
    Parents should NOT sign their childs passport!!

kearney101 wrote: »
    My wife applied for passport for newborn on the 3rd of march with proof of travel, flights are on the 24th the return date with express is the 28th! Does she have any hope if she goes in to the passport office to get it quicker? She talked to someone on the phone and she said you may as well cancel your flights madness!

Get in touch with the passport office via phone/e-mail/twitter and get a faxnumber to fax your travel details. If they can get it done in time they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Malee wrote: »
    No signature required, but a child may sign if he/she wants. Children would be expected to sign their own signature from age 7 upwards.
    Parents should NOT sign their childs passport!!

So it's optional? Perfect, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kearney101

Thanks for repling malee she did contact them via email to no avail and by phone were the lady said you'll have to cancel your flights theres nothing that can be done? On twitter they just said theyd advise the issuing office but still no guarantee. Im just wondering if she walked up to the office in dublin would she be able to get it quicker?

Still at stage 2, close to a month now. Passport office have ignored my emails. Travelling in 3 weeks and I'm really panicking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Try their twitter.

I did a few weeks back, they said I'd have it "in plenty of time," but given it's still at stage 2 and they're now telling people on Twitter they can't guarantee it before travel, I'm worrying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

kearney101 wrote: »

First passports can take up to six weeks even when there's not a rush on. Any chance you're going to the UK (on an airline other than Ryanair) and don't actually need a passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

why does it take too long? the process should be simple enough. The only explanation I can find is that they are understaffed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Passport went from sitting at "stage 2" for about 9 days, to "stage 3" yesterday afternoon and now it's printed and about to go in the post this morning. :D

alwald wrote: »
    why does it take too long? the process should be simple enough. The only explanation I can find is that they are understaffed.

Or from a different angle; more people applying for passports at the same time than in previous years?
    The process seems simple enough, but there's a "traffic jam" that wasn't expected to be there this early in the year.
    I wonder if the possible Brexit has anything to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Unless they are looking to represent Ireland in the Olympics they don't need to worry. A UK passport gives them exactly the same rights in Ireland as an Irish citizen, apart from voting for the president or in referendums.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

robinph wrote: »
    Unless they are looking to represent Ireland in the Olympics they don't need to worry. A UK passport gives them exactly the same rights in Ireland as an Irish citizen, apart from voting for the president or in referendums.
    That's not the point, for me anyway. What annoys me is that if there is a Brexit then more than likely I'll lose my current freedom to work and live anywhere else in the EU, apart from Ireland, something I've made ample use of in the past, and may well want to at some time in the future. What annoys me even more is that having been away from the UK for over 15 years, I apparently get no say in whether I lose that right or not.

Passport moved to stage three after something like 3 and a half weeks on 2. Stage 3 is meant to be my longest I think (lost passport)?

19 days til I fly. hopefully this is a good sign.

Passport moved to stage three after something like 3 and a half weeks on 2. Stage 3 is meant to be my longest I think (lost passport)?

19 days til I fly. hopefully this is a good sign.

Stage three means that your application is assigned to someone for checking. (Along with a good few others). It should be checked within a day. If it hasn't moved on to the next stage(s) yet today it should move on on Monday. It is unusual if this stage takes longer than a day.

• Advertisement

Malee wrote: »
    Stage three means that your application is assigned to someone for checking. (Along with a good few others). It should be checked within a day. If it hasn't moved on to the next stage(s) yet today it should move on on Monday. It is unusual if this stage takes longer than a day.

Thank you! That's really helpful information :) I appreciate it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement