Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nm_cw

Just wondering if there's any point in going up to the Passport office in Molesworth Street and queuing. Is it possible to get a passport then and there? Anyone have any experience of doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

nm_cw wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a passport then and there?
    Force maejure only at the moment until at least the vote goes through.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So should I be expecting a 25 working day (or thereabouts) turnaround with passports now? I'm gonna post the forms tomorrow, and I'm not flying out till 15th August, so i'll more then likely be fine, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

i was tracking my passport on line and it came up that it was approved and posted last week which would have been withing the 20 working days so i was happy with that. however it never came in the post and i contacted an post and it turns out that i have been tracing the wrong number all along - even though it is the one that is on my receipt!! for some unknown reason the number on the receipt does not match my details and relates to someone else. the man in the passport office was snotty enough and his attitude was tough luck and i will have to wait until they get round to looking at it even though i am due to fly out on wednesday. half tempted to ring joe duffy.........

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Redbollock

12 working days it took to get mine
    11/5 got it today
    15 working days when you hand it it and collect yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Goat_Boy_jones

If you don't have your tracker code can you still ring up?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Redbollock wrote: »
    12 working days it took to get mine
    11/5 got it today
    15 working days when you hand it it and collect yourself

Am curious as to whether this was in Cork or Dublin office?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Hey lads, due to send off for a renewal tomorrow morning. I'm flying out to Germany at the start of August and London at the very end of July, what are the chances of getting it before then ?

Also, I'll be flying to cork on the 14th of June but I won't have my passport because I need to send that off to get the new one. Do I need a passport for internal flights ?

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Also, I'll be flying to cork on the 14th of June but I won't have my passport because I need to send that off to get the new one. Do I need a passport for internal flights ?

You do not have to send off your old passport. Because of the industrial action, special rules are in place - a photocopy of your details page is sufficient. You can keep your passport for now.

And if you are flying Ryanair then yes, you will need a passport even for DUB-ORK. Ryanair require passports for absolutely all flights, no exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

undo wrote: »
    You do not have to send off your old passport. Because of the industrial action, special rules are in place - a photocopy of your details page is sufficient. You can keep your passport for now.

And if you are flying Ryanair then yes, you will need a passport even for DUB-ORK. Ryanair require passports for absolutely all flights, no exceptions.

Cheers for the quick reply. Hopefully my passport doesn't expire before the 14th/15th of June, I haven't got mine at hand atm. Do passports expire on exact dates ?

For example: June 25th 2010 or just June 2010 ?

• Advertisement

They always expire on exact dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Due to fly to gatwick later in the week and only have a drivers licence.
    Can anyone confrim that aer lingus still allow you travel on "photo ID" from Dublin to London?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

ragg wrote: »
    Due to fly to gatwick later in the week and only have a drivers licence.
    Can anyone confrim that aer lingus still allow you travel on "photo ID" from Dublin to London?
    Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel

• Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
      • Valid Passport
      • Drivers licence with photo
      • International student card
      • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
      • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
      • Bus pass with photo
      • Work ID with photo
    • Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    • Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.
    http://www.aerlingus.com/i18n/en/htmlPopups/passport_visa_information.html#irluk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Nice one - I read that too, jsut wanted to make sure that they hadn't changed something and not updated the website.

Guess im going to print it and take it with me JIC..

Cheers

Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

This is actually misleading. I am a UK citizen but have a German driving license. I tried to use it once and they would not let me. Legally, there is no reason I should be required to produce a passport...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

undo wrote: »
    This is actually misleading. I am a UK citizen but have a German driving license. I tried to use it once and they would not let me. Legally, there is no reason I should be required to produce a passport...

You are correct and Aer Lingus broke their own Ts & Cs by not letting you travel. Did you get your money back and compensation?

You are correct and Aer Lingus broke their own Ts & Cs by not letting you travel. Did you get your money back and compensation?

Fortunately, it did not come to that. I had my passport on me just in case. But as you say, what they did was not in agreement with their own T&Cs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 monsta

Hi
    have just submitted my passport renewal application with travel details to Molesworth Street. Am travelling at the Sat 26 June, yeah am very late!! Only realised how awful the situation is.. Does anyone have any update on how long it is taking to get a renewal - the POffice is saying 25 working days.. Does anyone know how negotiations are going if at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Am also worried sick. Have to travel on the 17th june. Only found out on the 22nd may. My passport was well expired ( i don't get out of the country much :D). Sent it off to cork,it was received on the 25th,status still at received only. Am planning on going to the cork office with my travel plans on friday. Anyone know if they will speed it up then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

angelll wrote: »
    Am also worried sick. Have to travel on the 17th june. Only found out on the 22nd may. My passport was well expired ( i don't get out of the country much :D). Sent it off to cork,it was received on the 25th,status still at received only. Am planning on going to the cork office with my travel plans on friday. Anyone know if they will speed it up then?

My advice would be that if you go to the office speak nicely to them and you never know. Officially its just emergency cases like deaths and serious illness.
    But be nice and who knows.... Good Luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I am renewing my passport now which expires in August. I am flying to Berlin and 8 July and Rio on 2 August. Would I be best off and/or can I just drop my application directly into the office on Molesworth St? No need for passport express as it's no in operation currently and I don't really need to post it since I only work less than 10mins away in town.

Also, I read here that I only need to send off a photocopy of my old passport at the moment due to delays? At least I wouldn't have to worry about getting to Berlin then!

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies! :p

Giles wrote: »
    Also, I read here that I only need to send off a photocopy of my old passport at the moment due to delays? At least I wouldn't have to worry about getting to Berlin then!

Yes, you can keep your current passport and only send in a photocopy. See point 2 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Giles wrote: »
    No need for passport express as it's no in operation currently and I don't really need to post it since I only work less than 10mins away in town.:p

I'd say definitely go in with your form, maybe bring your old passport, plus photocopy and ask them what you can do about keeping it. Maybe bring proof of your travel details for Berlin, just in case they look for it.

I went in there two weeks ago, 18th May, it was packed. I took a ticket, went off for some lunch and came back, total wait time was about 1 hour. If it helps, I noticed the average transaction at each hatch took about 3 minutes (I was bored waiting!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Sent my passport application on May 6th and received my new passport this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 elbitchio

amiable wrote: »
    Sent my passport application on May 6th and received my new passport this morning

Likewise. Mine was registered on 7th May and received it today (19 working days). This was however only after last week when I explained to a very nice lady on the phone in the passport office how I needed it before 4th June. She was very understanding and said she would try her best for me. 31st May my status online was changed to checked, and by yesterday afternoon got a call from a gentleman saying my new passport was in the post. Have to say i couldn't speak highly enough of the Passport Office staff. Very nice and friendly. Manchester here I come !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fin03

Just to let you know I brought my application into the office on Molesworth St on the 20th May. Was told it would take 25 working days but was keeping an eye on it's status online every day. Status changed to ready for collection this morning and collected it already. Today is only the 9th working day. Maybe there is hope after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kennyg2101

Passport express received 11/05/10 all checks passed only renewal of passport nodoby in the passport in either Cork or Dublin will answer a phone the passport is now in Balbriggan office of which you cannot contact or e mail eventually cork office mailed Dublin office must not have any staff to answer mails or the phone.
    So my passport is now stuck in Balbriggan office which you cannot contact in any form it must be a high security office or a black hole where passports go and could wait up to six weeks before they emerge so I could be waiting maybe 9 weeks , what a system we have in this country it puts to shame some third and fourth world countries is its service and lack of contact and advice this is what we are paying for are they in breach ot the sale of goods act section 12 that we always hear of on the radio when dealing with retailers I have paid money for a service i am not getting when wiii the goverment wake up and smell reality I am flying out in two weeks though it would only take 25 days to process the passport how wrong was I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 elbitchio

kennyg2101 wrote: »
    Passport express received 11/05/10 all checks passed only renewal of passport nodoby in the passport in either Cork or Dublin will answer a phone the passport is now in Balbriggan office of which you cannot contact or e mail eventually cork office mailed Dublin office must not have any staff to answer mails or the phone.
    So my passport is now stuck in Balbriggan office which you cannot contact in any form it must be a high security office or a black hole where passports go and could wait up to six weeks before they emerge so I could be waiting maybe 9 weeks , what a system we have in this country it puts to shame some third and fourth world countries is its service and lack of contact and advice this is what we are paying for are they in breach ot the sale of goods act section 12 that we always hear of on the radio when dealing with retailers I have paid money for a service i am not getting when wiii the goverment wake up and smell reality I am flying out in two weeks though it would only take 25 days to process the passport how wrong was I.

I feel your pain , but try using a full stop every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slidingdoors

kennyg2101 wrote: »

Looks like you're only on working day 17, so you may have it by day 25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 wayneywuff

I've been waiting since mid-May for a passport. I called the passport office and they told me that they will be prioritizing passport applications starting next week for people with immediate travel needs. They have also recruited more staff.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0602/breaking86.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement