Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Monzfrey wrote: »
    So, I emailed the passport office just to be 100% sure and they've told me to visit them to see if the chip still works. I won't be in Dublin or Cork anytime soon but I am going to Derry Airport next month - would someone there be able to check it for me?

It will depend on the airport, you really should get it checked officially with the passport office in Dublin or Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

I've successfully used my passport card a number of times. They never batted an eyelid when looking at it and it has never been rejected nor had it authenticity questioned.

There is a problem however, my eyes are slightly closed in my picture as I was looking down at the capture button when using the internal selfie camera mode. Because of this, I have been carrying my passport as a back up, ready to have in case the card is rejected.

This defeats the purpose of the card though, so I want to stop this.

I renewed my passport book before (three years early) and it wasn't questioned because I was planning on doing some travelling.

Can I just do the same with the card and renew it without justification?

Do I have to send back the card to get it cancelled or do I just keep it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I want to renew my Irish passport. Last one expired in 2011. I havent changed my name. Do I need a long form birth certificate or do I just need to send in my old passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just your old passport should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you know is it possible to renew and get a passport card at the one time?
    The website seems to indicate you need to have the 'new' passport before applying for the card - wondered if anyone knew for sure?

spurious wrote: »
    Do you know is it possible to renew and get a passport card at the one time?
    The website seems to indicate you need to have the 'new' passport before applying for the card - wondered if anyone knew for sure?

No not possible at this moment, they are two separate application processes, once you get your passport book you can apply for a passport card via the app or the website

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

http://click.klm-mail.com/?qs=c54b3a9f0adc10ea022775624c580a8ef16d4a5ecba4eaec73fb19fea1bec21cd828b5d057446be88634131f380991b2

Great offer here. It's usually 500+. Most of the next few months available at around this price. Great deal if anyone fancies a bit of winter sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Zascar wrote: »
    http://click.klm-mail.com/?qs=c54b3a9f0adc10ea022775624c580a8ef16d4a5ecba4eaec73fb19fea1bec21cd828b5d057446be88634131f380991b2

Great offer here. It's usually 500+. Most of the next few months available at around this price. Great deal if anyone fancies a bit of winter sun.

BA is only marginally more expensive at the moment. We got two return flights for 740 in February with a much shorter London stopover. Worth comparing

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭smurfette2212

Big of a strange one, but my passport application was going through the different stages. It got as far as stage 3, but now has moved back a step to stage 2 - has this ever happened anyone else? Not sure if it's something to be concerned about?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I know the section 7 has to be signed by both parents and witnessed when the application is sent in (for under 18s). Do both sections have to be completed before the Garda witnesses the child's signature?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Hi All

Asked post office for a passport renewal form, got home and filling it out but I'm wondering is it the right form. Is there a separate renewal vs 1st time application form? The one I got was APS 1 E.

Do I need to get the Guards to sign/ witness this and the photos or is it enough that I just include the old passport as proof that I am who I say I am?
    Thanks
    Gerry

Big of a strange one, but my passport application was going through the different stages. It got as far as stage 3, but now has moved back a step to stage 2 - has this ever happened anyone else? Not sure if it's something to be concerned about?!

They could be rescanning something, it needs to go back a stage for that to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭smurfette2212

cdsb46 wrote: »
    They could be rescanning something, it needs to go back a stage for that to happen

I thought it might be something as simple as that, but then started to worry!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Used the search function but couldn't find the answer, I was never given the receipt with the tracking number at the post office, is it possible to get it from somewhere else, I sent my passport on the 16th of November and Prayying it's back by December 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

pajero12 wrote: »
    Used the search function but couldn't find the answer, I was never given the receipt with the tracking number at the post office, is it possible to get it from somewhere else, I sent my passport on the 16th of November and Prayying it's back by December 10th

You could check with the post office?

Failing that, contact the passport office by Twitter, web chat, or phone and ask them for your application number

pajero12 wrote: »

Turnaround times are around 10 working days of less, so you should have it no problem. You can private message them on twitter @PassportIRL with the name, date of birth, ppsn and mother's maiden surname and they should be able to track it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Anyone advise,
    my daughter has booked a surprise trip to London for me in january
    my passport expires on January 29 2017
    We were planning to go on the 25th of January returning on the 28th - one day before passport expiry?
    Should I apply for a new one now or just wait - I ask because she booked it with a groupon deal and it has to be booked this week with a passport number - or do passports number stay the same??

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Realtine wrote: »
    Anyone advise,
    my daughter has booked a surprise trip to London for me in january
    my passport expires on January 29 2017
    We were planning to go on the 25th of January returning on the 28th - one day before passport expiry?
    Should I apply for a new one now or just wait - I ask because she booked it with a groupon deal and it has to be booked this week with a passport number - or do passports number stay the same??

Passport numbers change but you'll have absolutely no problem using your current passport

Enjoy the trip and apply for your new one when you come home

I have been a silly boy. My passport got wet accidentally and I dried it out using a hairdryer. I have been told that it is no harm but I am not happy with how it looks and would like to get a new one.

Question is do I need to make a damage report and be subjected to sanctions like 1 year passports? Can I carry on using it as it is?

DO NOT TRAVEL ON THE PASSPORT, renew it as damaged you will only get a restricted passport if you had a previous damaged/lost/stolen passport that would be still in date

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

cdsb46 wrote: »
    DO NOT TRAVEL ON THE PASSPORT, renew it as damaged you will only get a restricted passport if you had a previous damaged/lost/stolen passport that would be still in date
    although with the current passports which have all your details etched onto a plastic card in the middle and information duplicated on a chip inside that plastic, so does it really matter if the other pages are shrivelled a bit if you arent using them ?
    That'd be presuming you dont need the visa pages for visas which would be the case for many passengers who only use their passport to get to the continent or to the UK with Ryanair .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭PatMid78

I was in the same situation as you with a water-damaged passport about 10 months ago. I also had a previous history of one lost passport, but I received a full 10 year passport without any sanction or warning.

However, I did not get my previous damaged passport returned with the new one as it usually the case, which was not a problem as I did not have any valid visas inside it.

I suppose you are best to wait for up-to-date information and definitive policy from the Passport Office insiders that regularly post on this thread.

although with the current passports which have all your details etched onto a plastic card in the middle and information duplicated on a chip inside that plastic, so does it really matter if the other pages are shrivelled a bit if you arent using them ?
    That'd be presuming you dont need the visa pages for visas which would be the case for many passengers who only use their passport to get to the continent or to the UK with Ryanair .

The chip is not waterproof... If the chip doesn't work prepare to be stopped at border control

Renew your passport

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement