Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

My passport expires in September 2010.

Can I travel with it in the EU or does it need to be within 6 months of the expiry date?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Zamboni wrote: »
    My passport expires in September 2010.

Can I travel with it in the EU or does it need to be within 6 months of the expiry date?

Thanks

An Irish or other EU passport is valid for travel in any EU country until the expiry date.

By the way, an Irish passport is also valid for the USA until the expiry date, as certain countries are exempt from the six month vaildity requirement.
    http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/clp/bulletins/clp_bullentin_04162008.ctt/clp_bulletin_04162008.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

emanresu wrote: »
    An Irish or other EU passport is valid for travel in any EU country until the expiry date.

By the way, an Irish passport is also valid for the USA until the expiry date, as certain countries are exempt from the six month vaildity requirement.
    http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/clp/bulletins/clp_bullentin_04162008.ctt/clp_bulletin_04162008.pdf

Legend. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

emanresu wrote: »

When I posted the above, I couldn't find an official source to back up my statement, but I have found it now:

"All EU citizens have the right to enter and reside in the territory of any other member state of the European Union for a period of up to three months simply by presenting a valid passport or national identity card; no other formality is required. Member states cannot set additional conditions concerning the minimum validity of duration of the identity card or passport."
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/travel-abroad/general_tips

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

How about a mod makes a sticky with some of the FAQ items? Some of the things that keep getting asked are:

Q: Can I travel to the EU/USA when my passport has less than six months validity left?
    A: Yes, up until the very last day of validity you can.

Q: Do I have to send in my old passport when applying for a new one?
    A: No. Because no specific turnaround time can currently be guaranteed, the passport office allow you to send in a photo copy only and keep your current passport while you wait.

Q: What is the turnaround time for passport applications?
    A: 25 working days at present. (This FAQ item would need to be updated regularly)

Q: OMG, I am traveling tomorrow morning and I just discovered my dog peed on my passport/my baby ate it/it flew off the balcony and got lost. Is there any point in heading into the passport office first thing in the morning?
    A: Officially, only in absolute emergencies will you get an emergency passport. You can still try but the chances of someone at the office making a special exception just for you would be very slim. They have plenty of applications queued up already.

Q: Will calling/e-mailing the passport office help to get my passport faster?
    A: Many people believe that inquiring and giving more details of their immediate travel plans has helped. It is difficult to say for sure. But it cannot hurt.

And always remember: Be nice and polite! Calling Joe Duffy will get you nowhere. Being nice to the passport office stuff will do wonders.

Edit: Here are two more:

Q: Can I travel to the UK without a passport?
    A: As far as the border guards are concerned, UK and Irish citizens do not require a passport for this journey. Ferries, Aer Lingus and BA follow this and will accept other forms of ID. Ryanair do not and will not let you travel without a passport.

Q: With Ryanair, do I need a passport for a domestic journey?
    A: Yes. Even flying e.g. Dublin to Cork, a driving license, bus pass or work ID will not do. With Ryanair you always need a passport.

Edit: And another one:

Q: I really hate this industrial action. Can I vent my anger on this thread?
    A: I am afraid you have come to the wrong place. Please see post #8 for more details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hey what are my chance?

I have to go away around 1 July, havent sent away yet but will on Tuesday

Is it best to send away the form or go to the office direct and do it the old fashioned way?

Should i send a note along with the app etc?

Reckon i should book my flights or note.

Its a tough one cos for example i will be going away for 4 weeks with a group of mates and would help alot to know i would be starting out with them!

fooooooook

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Hey what are my chance?

I have to go away around 1 July, havent sent away yet but will on Tuesday

Is it best to send away the form or go to the office direct and do it the old fashioned way?

Should i send a note along with the app etc?

Reckon i should book my flights or note.

Its a tough one cos for example i will be going away for 4 weeks with a group of mates and would help alot to know i would be starting out with them!

fooooooook
    I'd not bother sending it away at all.

Very soon they will be prioritising those with urgent travel arrangements (as per what they voted for) so your best bet will be to wait until thats announced (I believe next week) and then go and get a same day passport, which obviously will incur a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

It's another €80 I think for the emergency passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

Passports for my son and daugher were shown as received on 12/05/10 and are today listed as printed - ie 20 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

cson wrote: »
    It's another €80 I think for the emergency passport.
    Extra €55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Hey guys. I applied for a new passport on the 3rd of June, and I'm going away on the 21st of July. Do you think I'll get it before then? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

Hey guys. I applied for a new passport on the 3rd of June, and I'm going away on the 21st of July. Do you think I'll get it before then? :confused:

The worst case was 25 working days and they new temp staff have started this week - so should be no issue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

kranbo wrote: »
    Passports for my son and daugher were shown as received on 12/05/10 and are today listed as printed - ie 20 working days

Similar story for me. It was received on the 11/5/10 and listed as printed today as well, so 21 working days. Looks like they're starting to get back on track.

Anyone have any idea how long it takes to go from printed to arriving in your letterbox? I've a flight on the 16th (Wednesday week), I presume it wont take that long...

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

My passport was delivered by express on the 25th may and can be collected in the morning :D . Also a neighbour has travel on this friday and just found out one of her childrens passports is out of date. She has been told to drop the passport today and it will be ready on friday,she will obv have to pay the emergency passport extra but she will be able to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Auster23

Just wondering which number people have found most useful to get through to the passport office - the LoCall one of the other one?

Also is there a particular time people have been finding it easiest to get through? I can't even get on hold despite trying every day for the last week at various times

Thanks

I rang cork on 1890 426900 and pressed 4 for operator. Got through first time round,i left it ringing away for a couple of minutes til it was picked up. hth!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Auster23

Thanks Angelll,

Sounds like Cork are way more sorted.Unfortunately it's Dublin I'm trying to reach and having no luck at all

Auster23 wrote: »
    Just wondering which number people have found most useful to get through to the passport office - the LoCall one of the other one?

Also is there a particular time people have been finding it easiest to get through? I can't even get on hold despite trying every day for the last week at various times

Thanks

I got though on the 6711633 but I tried each morning and rang about 15-20 times in a row and got though on morning 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

I'm just wondering if anyone has a rough idea on long the passport express service is taking these days?

Thanks

Shane732 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if anyone has a rough idea on long the passport express service is taking these days?

Thanks

About 25 working days - it may reduce now as temp staff have started and theya are starting to prioirtise thosw qith immediate travel plans

• Advertisement

I sent mine by express. It was received on the 25th and registered and printed yesterday. So excluding the bank hols that was 10 working days! I did fax them my holiday confirmation though,that made a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 acorn1984

rilly99 wrote: »
    I got though on the 6711633 but I tried each morning and rang about 15-20 times in a row and got though on morning 3

18 times to be precise!! :D Have been ringing Cork every chance I get every day this week but to no avail. Registered since the 27th May in Cork office, and travelling 30th June - eesh!! What are my chances??!

Annoying part is actually got through to a very nice lady last week, who told me to ring back this week!! If only I'd known - would have never let her go! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 BoHoDj

does anyone know how i would go about gettin a passport renewed before next Thursday???

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

My passport experience..

Posted 3 with passport express on 13Th may....and received all 3 this morning
    that 19/20 working days (give or take bank holiday)

It was been printed on Wednesday , shipped Thursday, received today,
    (for whoever asked about printing and receiving time frame)

cramp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0611/breaking38.html

The waiting time for a passport has increased by five working days, with more than 64,000 applications currently in the backlog.

An Post has withdrawn its 10 day turnaround gaurantee for processing applications through the "Passport Express" service.

Members of the public are facing serious delays in getting their passports renewed, with applications sent in via this method now taking approximately five weeks to process.

Customers are still being charged €8.50 for the "Passport Express" service despite the removal of the turnaround guarantee. However, this service remains faster than submitting applications via normal post, which will take approximately eight weeks to process, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs.

The Passport Office is receiving just under 4,000 applications a day, according to a spokeswoman at the Department, who said a surge in applications was contributing to a backlog.

Some 64,519 passport applications are currently in the backlog, accounting for a tenth of applications received annually. While the backlog has decreased from 69,400 applications at the end of April, the processing time has increased.

A number of temporary staff started work at the Passport Office in Dublin this week in an attempt to alleviate the backlog, but are still being trained. Passport office staff voted to accept a deal to allow the recruitment of 50 temporary clerical officers last week.

Passport delivery through “Passport Express” service normally takes 10 working days but the turnabout time is now 25 working days according to the Department of Foreign Affairs. Applications submitted at the Passport Office counters are also said to take 25 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

we sent of our 3 passport forms by express post , the lady in the post office was very helpfull as in dont send them normal post . it costed us 201.00e. 2 adults and one child passport. fingers crossed, im dying to go on holiday . wehavent booked any where . just scared that if we book and no sign of passports we would lose the booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

When im trying to get an emergency passport, will i need flight details etc?

Do you reckon head to the office and queue up or what?

I dont know what to do, and im wasting precious days, its too late to send it now as its 15 working days till im going away.

AAAAA

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Londonite

Does anyone have this fax number as i want to fax my flight details in the hope that it might make a difference, flying 26 June, sent in passport 'express' application 17 May, marked received 18 May. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

20 days to get passport through passport express. Missed holiday with family. Government, please stand up...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Grace24

Hi all,
    On the tracking website, it says that my passport has been registered since may 28th (2 weeks ago) and its status hasn't changed since, should i be concerned? I'm due to fly out July 4th?
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement