Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭starburst87

sent in mine and my daughters passport for renewal , it was up on the website as received and registered on the 1st june, it hasn't changed yet, we're due to fly on 9th july, i printed out the flight confirmation and sent it with the renewals, is there any point in ringing to try speed it up or should i wait another week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I sent my application in around 10 days ago but I forgot to take note of the application number for tracking! Is there anyway to try and track my application? I've been trying to call the Dublin office here and there but couldn't even get on hold.... would calling into the office be my best bet perhaps? I'd only have an hour to an hour and a half max as I would be on my lunchbreak.

I'm going to Berlin on 8 July but my old passport is fine for that, it's my 2 month world trip kicking off on 2 August that I'm more worried about!

The whole situation is an absolute farce it really is..... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Grace24 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    On the tracking website, it says that my passport has been registered since may 28th (2 weeks ago) and its status hasn't changed since, should i be concerned? I'm due to fly out July 4th?
    Thanks
    sent in mine and my daughters passport for renewal , it was up on the website as received and registered on the 1st june, it hasn't changed yet, we're due to fly on 9th july, i printed out the flight confirmation and sent it with the renewals, is there any point in ringing to try speed it up or should i wait another week?

Same boat as you guys

Express service on May 25th and still not changed status, just saying registered

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Londonite

I finally got through this morning on 01-6711633 ( just kept pressing re-dial and got through about the 20th time) and was told my passport should arrive at my address this friday 18 June. I am travelling next Saturday 26 June but they did not know this. I was calling today to tell them this and ask whether I should fax in my flight details but he said no need, it would be coming to me Friday anyway. So, my Passport Express application was sent in on 17 May, marked on their website as registered on 18 May and if I receive it on 18 June, that will be 20-21 days. Hope it turnes up. BTW, the website tracking still just says registered 18/05/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Giles wrote: »
    I sent my application in around 10 days ago [...] it's my 2 month world trip kicking off on 2 August that I'm more worried about!

You will be grand. You sent in your application with lots of time to spare. At the current turn-around rate, you should have your passport in 2-3 weeks.

You can track it without an application number by the way. Just call the office, give them all your details and they will look it up for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 annie1982

I posted ours in Cork through passport express and its coming up as registered on may 24th? Do you know if the Cork ones get sent to Cork office to be processed or straight to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

They get processed in Cork Annie. Mine was registered on the 25th May and was printed last Wednesday. I had sent them in my travel details though...i'm going Wed night so was cutting it very tight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pojpo

Sent passport via 'Passport Express' last Weds. (received on the 10th). However, having read a number of unfortunate stories here and in the papers, I decided to hand in my flight details in person today, for fear that I would not get my passport in time for a 16th July departure date. The customer service person informed me that 'things are almost back to normal', and that I 'should have the passport in 2 weeks', i.e., 12 working days.

I know the level of anxiety which this issue can cause (and has caused me in the last week), so I hope the foregoing news eases some worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 opinions

travelling at the end of the month and realised today that my passport isnt valid for 6months and needs to be. do u think i can get an emergency passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

@opinions: Are you sure you need your passport to be valid an extra six months? Most places people travel to (including the US) have no such requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 opinions

yes going to thailand and rang the thai consulate and was told they are very strict and I would not be allowed entry if my passport isn't valid for 6months

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Auster23

Passport received today - 16 working days from when it was updated as "received" on the website.

When I got through to someone in the passport office last week he told me that tracking passports through the website is useless, it's very seldom updated. Yesterday my passport status was still just saying "being checked", yet is arrived in the post today.

I faxed confirmation of my flight to 6733291, which may have helped.

The guy in the office also said that they start answering phones from 9 (it says they only open at 930 on the website).I found the best time to get through was around lunchtime.

Best of luck to anyone waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Did everyone who's sent an application recently have their application show up the following day on the tracking system or does it take a few days?
    Posted mine on Monday - and the website still says the application number is invalid. Not sure if it just takes longer than the 2 days to show up though?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Londonite

Just to say I received my passport yesterday, 18 working days from the date it was marked received on the website. BTW, the website still just says 'registered 18/05/10' so I think the website is not being updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭pumbah

sillysocks wrote: »
    Did everyone who's sent an application recently have their application show up the following day on the tracking system or does it take a few days?
    Posted mine on Monday - and the website still says the application number is invalid. Not sure if it just takes longer than the 2 days to show up though?

Mine took 2 days to show up on their website (20th May). But as Auster says above - the status is not updated frequently.

FWIW Here's my saga:

18th May: Posted applications - (PassportExpress)
    20th May : Registered as received on Passport website.

Nothing happens for ages...

11th June : Last Friday I sent an email using the dfa website http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=8791 explaining that we were travelling on 18th and asking if the passports would be ready on time.

15th June: Got a call from Passport Office who said they’d process the passports if I could fax or email the flight details. I sent a copy of the ryanair booking confirmation.

17th June: Passports arrived by post to the house this morning:)
    (Status on the website is still showing “Received on 20/05/2010 and has been registered.”!)

My advice: Use the enquiry form on the website - saves hours waiting on the phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irisheyes3662

I thought I'd post a reply on here to let some of you know how i got my passport fast-tracked because i found alot of your posts helpful and encouraging.
    Anyway i decided last minute to go to australia for the summer as I have family out there and was offered a job with the option of staying for the year but my passport was just out of date. I went straight into the passport office on 31st may and I got a really unpleasant woman who basically told me to sing for it as she wasn't going to fast track it (don't really know if she couldn't or just didn't want to!). So i send my passport in via passport express on 1st june and it was recieved and registered on the 2nd of june. I was kind of just going to wait the 25days but I got another call saying the job wouldn't wait much longer so I got onto them this monday (14th june) and got a lovely man on the phone who i explained my situation to and he attached a note to my application saying it was urgent and i must have by friday 18th for a visa! I rang today and its ready and in the post to me and he promised i would have it on my door first thing in the morning! so thats 11 working days it took me.

Basically if you have a genuine reason and are polite to them they are very understanding and will go out of their way to help you. passport express seems to be the way to go along with a few phone calls and pleading with them! the staff in the office seem to be too stressed and have probably heard all the sob stories before.
    I hope that helps someone and best of luck to everyone getting their passports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irisheyes3662

Londonite wrote: »
    Just to say I received my passport yesterday, 18 working days from the date it was marked received on the website. BTW, the website still just says 'registered 18/05/10' so I think the website is not being updated.

oh and I found that too, they aren't updating the website. the man i was talking to on the phone was saying that the website just isn't being updated. stupid really, it would get alot of people off their backs if they updated it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Cannot find my passport anywhere and travelling on the 30th of this month. Is the best way to just print of travel details etc and head into the passport office explaining the situation or will I still end up having to wait the 20days or so for the fast-track application?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

passport arrived after 15 working days - I had rang and given date of hols 26th June best of luck to everyone else waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

undo wrote: »
    You will be grand. You sent in your application with lots of time to spare. At the current turn-around rate, you should have your passport in 2-3 weeks.

You can track it without an application number by the way. Just call the office, give them all your details and they will look it up for you.

They said they couldn't track it without an application number! However 80e was debited from my credit card on 15/06 so surely that must mean that my passport will arrive within the next week or so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭barbiedollz

does any1 know what are the queues like outside the passport oddice in cork????

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I thought I'd update here on how long passports are taking to be processed. I sent in mine on 25th May and received it yesterday, 17th June. I'm very pleased with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭pyzon

I have a interview in US Embassy on end of June and will have to leave my Passport with them to process a VISA, however I will be travelling to Paris 23rd July and I was wondering if anyone knew my options about getting a temporary passport for travel....anticipating that I will not get my passport back from the US Embassy in Dublin in time...of course I may..but I've gotto plan that I will not and don't want to lose out on 1000Euro of flight and hotel fees...i only got letter today about interview in US Embassy and had already booked tix/hotel. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

My passport is due to run out next January 2011.
    However I will be travelling in September to EU and Russia. I will need a new passport to present in Russia.

Is it possible to book flights online with my current passport now and then present my new passport on check-in, and have my older passport in my possession. Including necessary travel documents for Russia.

Airlines I expect to book or consider are Aer Lingus, Ryanair, Air Berlin, S7.

thanks in advance.
    Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

LiamMc wrote: »
    My passport is due to run out next January 2011.
    However I will be travelling in September to EU and Russia. I will need a new passport to present in Russia.

Is it possible to book flights online with my current passport now and then present my new passport on check-in, and have my older passport in my possession. Including necessary travel documents for Russia.

Airlines I expect to book or consider are Aer Lingus, Ryanair, Air Berlin, S7.

thanks in advance.
    Liam

You don't need to have a passport to book flights online.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sixshot87

Hi guys, my passport is out of date soon and it looks unlikely that I will have one in time for my intended travel date to London. I have read that you can go to Britain on photo ID and I was wondering if anyone has ever done this on either ferry or plane? If so who did you fly/ sail with? What form of ID was accepted? Any information would be appreciated

sixshot87 wrote: »
    Hi guys, my passport is out of date soon and it looks unlikely that I will have one in time for my intended travel date to London. I have read that you can go to Britain on photo ID and I was wondering if anyone has ever done this on either ferry or plane? If so who did you fly/ sail with? What form of ID was accepted? Any information would be appreciated

Assuming you're a British or Irish citizen..

Aer Lingus, Aer Arann, and BMI will fly you to Britain with photo ID (see links). Only Ryanair insist that you have a valid passport or National ID card.

Any ferry company will also accept you for travel with photo ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the situation is with getting your passport below in Cork in one day?

Is it even possible anymore? I'm going to Las Vegas through Gatwick in 6 weeks and my passport us up in November.

I know I'm technically ok but I'd be happier with a new one.

ziedth wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know what the situation is with getting your passport below in Cork in one day?

Is it even possible anymore? I'm going to Las Vegas through Gatwick in 6 weeks and my passport us up in November.

I know I'm technically ok but I'd be happier with a new one.

I can't answer your question I'm sorry, but there's really no need at all to get a new passport so long as you leave the US before November (date of passport expiry).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 carlowed

not sure if its the right place to ask but are there long lines at the Passport office now? ie this week end of june/ what time should one be there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement