Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Actually someone wont have to get it! It's not an emergency and look at the practicals. Who do you expect is going to go through literally thousands of passports?

If it doesnt arrive tomorrow change the flight.

What a ridiculous post , keep you thoughts to yourself as this is about as useful as a chocolate kettle.

I hardly meant "someone will have to get it" as if i have some right to expect someone to route through the post, get a grip. I am fully aware this is a very long shot and I am chancing my arm. so if its a no we get i wont be complaining.

And how do you know its not an emergency? did i state her reason for travel?

Anyway i posted to see if anyone had a similar situation in the past or had to deal with the Balbriggan office directly, not for posters to react like im telling them the world is flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Anyway i posted to see if anyone had a similar situation in the past or had to deal with the Balbriggan office directly, not for posters to react like im telling them the world is flat.

My sister needed an emergency passport last month and rang the Balbriggan office, she got through to a lovely woman and they were very helpful! No harm ringing them to see if they could do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

MissElle wrote: »
    My sister needed an emergency passport last month and rang the Balbriggan office, she got through to a lovely woman and they were very helpful! No harm ringing them to see if they could do anything?

Shes been sorted about 5 mins ago , went out first thing this morning and the envelope has indeed been retrieved from the Post room ,god bless tracking numbers! passport back in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MusSpo13

Has anyone got any tips on how to take passport photos at home? I'm trying to renew my passport online but every photo is failing because of a shadow. Every picture I take there is a shadow behind me, any tips on how to get rid of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

MusSpo13 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any tips on how to take passport photos at home? I'm trying to renew my passport online but every photo is failing because of a shadow. Every picture I take there is a shadow behind me, any tips on how to get rid of it?

For your sanity it is probably better to go to a photo booth or a pharmacy and get it done properly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Just for anyone short on time for a new passport and wondering what current times are,I submitted a new application for a baby on 11/05 (well that's the receipt date when they got it so I probably did it a day or two earlier at post office). Estimated issue date was 14/06 and I've just checked status and found it was dispatched today so I should have it tomorrow (a week ahead of the estimated date).
    Wasn't sure if photos would be accepted so relieved now that they were!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

sillysocks wrote: »
    Just for anyone short on time for a new passport and wondering what current times are,I submitted a new application for a baby on 11/05 (well that's the receipt date when they got it so I probably did it a day or two earlier at post office). Estimated issue date was 14/06 and I've just checked status and found it was dispatched today so I should have it tomorrow (a week ahead of the estimated date).
    Wasn't sure if photos would be accepted so relieved now that they were!

That was much quicker than mine sillysocks. Mine were there 3.5 weeks before I had to call in a favour of someone to help us. I'll never cut it so fine again.

yellow hen wrote: »
    That was much quicker than mine sillysocks. Mine were there 3.5 weeks before I had to call in a favour of someone to help us. I'll never cut it so fine again.

Happened me on my last child, passport arrived the day before we left! Have a month to spare this time but looking at the calendar it looks like if it comes tomorrow it will have been 4 weeks to the day, so approx 19/20 working days rather than the 25 they advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

What a ridiculous post , keep you thoughts to yourself as this is about as useful as a chocolate kettle.

I hardly meant "someone will have to get it" as if i have some right to expect someone to route through the post, get a grip. I am fully aware this is a very long shot and I am chancing my arm. so if its a no we get i wont be complaining.

And how do you know its not an emergency? did i state her reason for travel?

It is useful because believe you me I have a lot lot more experience with passports than you ever will.

If you expect anybody to help you going forward lose the attitude.

• Advertisement

no, they are the same.
    There is zero legal difference between Northern Ireland or Scotland or Wales in terms of an irish person entering or working or living in. All are part of the UK in exactly the same way.

Airline security measures are a different kettle of fish, but again you do not require a passport as a rule as an irish person to enter the UK. No passport needed in Newry, no passport needed in Glasgow, no passport needed in London.

Its a recurring theme here that people are getting in a tizzy because "they cannot travel to the uk" as they have no passport
    That's wrong. You can travel to the UK. Just choose a ferry or different airline to Ryanair.

Wrong again and misleading too.

You do not need a passport to enter the north as nobody flies there in country. In other words as of now there is no hard border.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Wrong again and misleading too.

You do not need a passport to enter the north as nobody flies there in country. In other words as of now there is no hard border.

You do not need a passport to travel between Ireland and any part of the UK as long as you are an Irish or British citizen. All you need is photo ID such as a driving licence. Ryanair insist on a passport, that's simply their rules, it's nothing to do with the law governing the common travel area between Ireland and the UK. If you fly with an airline like Aer Lingus or British Airways, you don't need a passport as long as you have any other form of photo ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

So like seems to be an issue with many here, my mother is after booking a flight to the uk with Ryanair and now realises her passport is out of date only a matter of days.

I realise Ryanair won't accept a driving license but my question is how quickly can you get a passport if you went directly to the offices in dublin, and how much would it cost? If the cost was too much perhaps booking a flight with Aer Lingus would be the best option?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Basicilly

Hey, put in a passport application on May 17th through passport express for a renewal and new passport for the kids. We're off to France (hopefully) on June 22nd which is the day the tracker says it will be distributed😯 I tried phoning but no answer. Any suggestions other than moving the holiday... again! Any chance we could get them back in tome?

How soon is she flying? An online renewal may be quicker.

Next Wednesday, sorry should have said.

Yikes. Get her to go to https://www.passportappointments.ie/ and book an appointment online.

Thanks. Would the cost be 95 plus the an extra 70 to get it with 3-5 days?

Edit: Nevermind I have seen the cost.

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    You do not need a passport to travel between Ireland and any part of the UK as long as you are an Irish or British citizen. All you need is photo ID such as a driving licence. Ryanair insist on a passport, that's simply their rules, it's nothing to do with the law governing the common travel area between Ireland and the UK. If you fly with an airline like Aer Lingus or British Airways, you don't need a passport as long as you have any other form of photo ID.

And until Ryanair drop their insistence on carrying a passport it is misleading to say that ALL travel between the countries does not require a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

SheldonC17 wrote: »
    So like seems to be an issue with many here, my mother is after booking a flight to the uk with Ryanair and now realises her passport is out of date only a matter of days.

I realise Ryanair won't accept a driving license but my question is how quickly can you get a passport if you went directly to the offices in dublin, and how much would it cost? If the cost was too much perhaps booking a flight with Aer Lingus would be the best option?

Thanks.

Get her to apply online for a passport renewal. No messing about with form, photos, getting the Guards to stamp her photos, getting stressed out trying to secure an appointment, she can apply without leaving her seat, and best of all she'll her passport in a matter of days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Hi, i currently hold a UK passport (which is out of date)and was looking to renew it.i am also considering applying for an irish passport on account of my grand mother being born in belfast. i find the process a wee bit confusing with various opinions on the matter,my query is do i have to apply for irish citizenship before i can apply for an irish passport? or is there a different route seeing as i have irish ancestry?
    cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

I am sending off a renewal application by passport express tmo for my daughter and got my application and photos stamped tonight in my Garda station. On looking at the photos after I noticed one of them is marked on the front with the garda stamp ink, the other 3 are ok. Will this cause my application to be rejected? I am conscious of time as we are due to travel abroad on the 28th July. Any advice would be appreciated

I am sending off a renewal application by passport express tmo for my daughter and got my application and photos stamped tonight in my Garda station. On looking at the photos after I noticed one of them is marked on the front with the garda stamp ink, the other 3 are ok. Will this cause my application to be rejected? I am conscious of time as we are due to travel abroad on the 28th July. Any advice would be appreciated

Not sure if it'll help as I don't know how fussy they are on all of the pics but just got my daughters back yesterday and they use one photo, keep another and return the other two back to you loose. So perhaps they'd just use one of the good ones and use the marked one as one to return to you. Might be worth asking them by PM on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Thank you silly socks, have done that now. The smudged photo is one of the photos that is also stamped on the back so I presume it is not one of the ones to be returned

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Andrewjaybw

Hello 
    I've been tracking my passport application online and it was in Received for ages then it went to Processing for about a week then straight to Printing and now Dispatched... when i check the history it never had an Approved stage should I be worried? I mean it says Your Passport has been Dispatched but could this be a letter of not approved? maybe im just panicing over nothing but be nice to hear from others 
    heres my Status History
    Yesterday 
    08/06/2017
    Dispatched
    Your passport has been dispatched on 08/06/2017

2 days ago 
    07/06/2017 Printing
    Your passport is being printed
    1 week 2 days ago 
    31/05/2017 Processing application
    Your application is being processed
    1 month 2 weeks ago 
    26/04/2017 Application received
    We have received your application

Cheers

Andrew

glaswegian wrote: »
    Hi, i currently hold a UK passport (which is out of date)and was looking to renew it.i am also considering applying for an irish passport on account of my grand mother being born in belfast. i find the process a wee bit confusing with various opinions on the matter,my query is do i have to apply for irish citizenship before i can apply for an irish passport? or is there a different route seeing as i have irish ancestry?
    cheers.

If your closest direct Irish born ancestor is your grandmother , then yes, you need to apply for Irish citizenship. You can apply for Foreign Births Registration (FBR). Once your application for FBR is processed, you will receive an FBR certificate, which you can then use to apply for an Irish passport. If you're living abroad, you apply for FBR at your nearest Irish Embassy/Consulate. If you're resident on the island of Ireland, you apply to the Consular Section of the Department of Foreign Affairs.

If either one of your parents were born on the island of Ireland, you are considered to be entitled to Irish citizenship from birth, and you can just apply for a passport.

You'll be fine. They'll use one of the photos that's not smudged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the tracker has no approved status. So you should have your passport any time now .

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

fxotoole wrote: »
    If your closest direct Irish born ancestor is your grandmother , then yes, you need to apply for Irish citizenship. You can apply for Foreign Births Registration (FBR). Once your application for FBR is processed, you will receive an FBR certificate, which you can then use to apply for an Irish passport. If you're living abroad, you apply for FBR at your nearest Irish Embassy/Consulate. If you're resident on the island of Ireland, you apply to the Consular Section of the Department of Foreign Affairs.

If either one of your parents were born on the island of Ireland, you are considered to be entitled to Irish citizenship from birth, and you can just apply for a passport.

thanks for that.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 High55hgih

Hi everyone, has anybody have any issues with the passport express by an post? I am to fly in 4 weeks and they have already received my application June 2. It says that it takes 4-6 days before stage 2 but it has been 7 working days and it is still in stage 1. Going through twitter and some have waited for months. If this is the case, is there anything I can do to get my passport sooner?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement