Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MusSpo13

cdsb46 wrote: »
    For your sanity it is probably better to go to a photo booth or a pharmacy and get it done properly
    :D:D Yes I actually ended up doing this, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

MusSpo13 wrote: »
    :D:D Yes I actually ended up doing this, thanks!

Not as easy for me in the North :(
    Ive tried all sorts of photos but they are all rejected , has anyone had any success with a digital camera or smartphone at home?
    Very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

Hi all.

My missus is going to Tenerife with her mate on the 24th of June, her mate only applied for her passport on the 25th of May, today she checked the status of her application online and it said they was a problem with her application, it didnt say what. Now, earlier today we made an appointment for the Dublin passport office for next Tuesday to see if she can get a emergency passport. However, the application says she needs to fill in a new form,with new photos and pay 165-195euro to get the passport in 3 days.

Will she still have to pay this on top of the fee charged for the passport express. Realistically, will she get the passport before end of week ? Has anyone any experience with this.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Janne86

Hi there, I have applied for two first time passports for my two children on the 30th May,passport office has details of my flights on the 28th of June.. do you think they will be back in time really starting to panick...im so anxious I cant sleep or eat..is there anything i can do I emailed a couple of times and phone line do not answer..they are still processing this evening 😠I was really hoping to finally bring my babies to see their nana for the first time since they were born 19 month ago but now i just feel defeated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Does anybody know precisely why it takes approx 5 weeks to process a passport? Cant be that much bloody work involved. Just the usual: useless lazy public "servants"? Or am I missing something? Maybe its a gruelling process of hand printing each one individually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Sosurface wrote: »
    Does anybody know precisely why it takes approx 5 weeks to process a passport? Cant be that much bloody work involved. Just the usual: useless lazy public "servants"? Or am I missing something? Maybe its a gruelling process of hand printing each one individually?

They're all hand written.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Apply online, get it in days.
    28 or so days is it?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Hi all.

My missus is going to Tenerife with her mate on the 24th of June, her mate only applied for her passport on the 25th of May, today she checked the status of her application online and it said they was a problem with her application, it didnt say what. Now, earlier today we made an appointment for the Dublin passport office for next Tuesday to see if she can get a emergency passport. However, the application says she needs to fill in a new form,with new photos and pay 165-195euro to get the passport in 3 days.

Will she still have to pay this on top of the fee charged for the passport express. Realistically, will she get the passport before end of week ? Has anyone any experience with this.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. :)

The first message on the appointments service is

Please do NOT make an appointment if you have already lodged a passport application. If you wish to enquire about such an application you may call to Customer Care Desk at the Passport Office in Dublin or Cork. You do not need an appointment for this service. You can also call Tel: +353 (0)1 671 1633

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

No such thing as an emergency passport.

Yes there is and they have a validity of no more than 12 months.

They are available to those who need to travel immediately, or when a passport has been lost/stolen or when there is insufficient time to issue the standard passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Changing my maiden name by deed poll?

Have to renew my passport before October and since my previous passport I have " tied the knot". I havnt officially changed my name by deed poll, though I "unofficially" use a double barrelled name or go by my maiden name officially!
    Now that my passport is coming up for renewal.....( 3 months left to run) would it be advisable to change my name by deed poll and would it be less hassle for travelling as a family to drop my maiden name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Sundew wrote: »
    Have to renew my passport before October and since my previous passport I have " tied the knot". I havnt officially changed my name by deed poll, though I "unofficially" use a double barrelled name or go by my maiden name officially!
    Now that my passport is coming up for renewal.....( 3 months left to run) would it be advisable to change my name by deed poll and would it be less hassle for travelling as a family to drop my maiden name?

They don't accept deedpoll so if you have tied the knot since your last passport then your marriage cert will be required to get the passport in the marriage name. the marriage cert also allows you to either take his surname or double barrel your marriage and maiden name. It's up to you. Alternatively you can keep the maiden name and renew the passport in that name as per your last passport which means no further documentation is needed. Whatever route you go down, make sure any flight tickets you book match exactly the name that appears on your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Changing my maiden name by deed poll?

Why not just use your marriage cert? :confused:

Thanks folks....I was actually looking up the citizens advice since posting here, and I don't know why I didn't think of using my marriage cert. For some reason I thought you had to "officially" change your name by deed poll. Don't ask me why! So all I have to do for renewal is just send in my marriage cert and get my name updated on my passport. I know it's not that practical travelling on a different name to my little one these days.

Fred thanks for drawing my attention to this. It seems you do need 2 years proof of new name usage which I don't have, as I still am currently using my maiden name in an official capacity. I do have unofficial private mail with my married name on it, but I don't think this will suffice. Will contact passport office now to see where I stand. Might be just easier to renew in my maiden name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Fred thanks for drawing my attention to this. It seems you do need 2 years proof of new name usage which I don't have, as I still am currently using my maiden name in an official capacity. I do have unofficial private mail with my married name on it, but I don't think this will suffice. Will contact passport office now to see where I stand. Might be just easier to renew in my maiden name.

You only need 2 years of usage if your name has not been changed by marriage which yours has. Your marriage cert is enough.

• Advertisement

Dovies wrote: »
    You only need 2 years of usage if your name has not been changed by marriage which yours has. Your marriage cert is enough.

So even though I have not been using my " married name" in an official capacity....my marriage cert will suffice? Will it? I should state that I am married more then 2 years. I really only want to change it now To make it easier travelling with my little one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

So even though I have not been using my " married name" in an official capacity....my marriage cert will suffice? Will it? I should state that I am married more then 2 years. I really only want to change it now To make it easier travelling with my little one.

Doesn't matter how long you're married or whether you've been using the married name, once you send the cert and fill out the form with the name you want to appear on the passport you shouldn't have any issues with either double barreled or married name only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

That is correct, using your spouses surname is an exemption to the 2 year use rule, once married you are entitled to use your spouses surname on your passport irrespective of weather or not you actually use the name, (you can also carry both married and maiden name if you wish on your passport which is handy when you use both names for different purposes), it also applies to both sex's, a man can also use his spouses surname for the purposes of a passport.

GM228 wrote: »
    That is correct, using your spouses surname is an exemption to the 2 year use rule, once married you are entitled to use your spouses surname on your passport irrespective of weather or not you actually use the name, (you can also carry both married and maiden name if you wish on your passport which is handy when you use both names for different purposes), it also applies to both sex's, a man can also use his spouses surname for the purposes of a passport.

Excellent thanks for clarifying that!👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 1 teskr

Hello 
    I've been tracking my passport application online and it was in Received for ages then it went to Processing for about a week then straight to Printing and now Dispatched... when i check the history it never had an Approved stage should I be worried? I mean it says Your Passport has been Dispatched but could this be a letter of not approved? maybe im just panicing over nothing but be nice to hear from others 
    heres my Status History
    Yesterday 
    08/06/2017
    Dispatched
    Your passport has been dispatched on 08/06/2017

2 days ago 
    07/06/2017 Printing
    Your passport is being printed
    1 week 2 days ago 
    31/05/2017 Processing application
    Your application is being processed
    1 month 2 weeks ago 
    26/04/2017 Application received
    We have received your application

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
    Hope you can help me. I've been tracking my passport application through passport express and today it says printing...how long did it take for you to receive your passport after you got the printing update? travelling very soon and anxious they wont be here in time.
    Thanks,
    Tanya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

teskr wrote: »
    Hi Andrew,
    Hope you can help me. I've been tracking my passport application through passport express and today it says printing...how long did it take for you to receive your passport after you got the printing update? travelling very soon and anxious they wont be here in time.
    Thanks,
    Tanya

I got a passport recently and from memory it was at printing status over a weekend, went to dispatched on Monday and had it the next day. Once it goes to dispatched you get a tracking number but An Post guarantee next day delivery for passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wackojacko1979

Hi Folks. Applied for passports for both my kids 19th May. 3 year old girl and 5 year old boy. Got a call from them 20th June, looking for a photo of my passport, perhaps it my error for not including it. I was informed there would be no issues getting the 2 passports out in time for flying this Friday. Got the passports Monday, photos swapped. Straight into the passport office yesterday, was calmly told they would sort it, and call me back. Nothing since, need them by close of business tomorrow. I have a phone number and an email address for the girl i was dealing with, no response on either.
    Question is, is there any way of getting in touch with them on the phone, the main line is not accepting calls, or will I have to go back in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Does anybody know where to apply for the appointment cancellations on the passport website?
    I only discovered at the weekend that my two children's passport's expired two weeks ago. I was trying to book an appointment online but the appointments for the 3 day turnaround passports are fully booked until next week & we're travelling on Saturday the 1st.
    I had no choice but to try and book an appointment for the Rapid Renewal service but every time I tried I got a warning saying do not book unless I was travelling before the 28th, then the 29th & then the 30th.
    I tired again this morning and it said do not book unless you are travelling
    before the 30th.
    Then I had another look after lunch and that had changed to the 3rd but all the appointments for tomorrow were gone. :(
    So I went down to the passport office but got little sympathy there.
    I was told though there might be cancellations tomorrow that would made available online at 9am.

I'm just not sure where online I can try and book one of those cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

PWEI wrote: »
    Does anybody know where to apply for the appointment cancellations on the passport website?
    I only discovered at the weekend that my two children's passport's expired two weeks ago. I was trying to book an appointment online but the appointments for the 3 day turnaround passports are fully booked until next week & we're travelling on Saturday the 1st.
    I had no choice but to try and book an appointment for the Rapid Renewal service but every time I tried I got a warning saying do not book unless I was travelling before the 28th, then the 29th & then the 30th.
    I tired again this morning and it said do not book unless you are travelling
    before the 30th.
    Then I had another look after lunch and that had changed to the 3rd but all the appointments for tomorrow were gone. :(
    So I went down to the passport office but got little sympathy there.
    I was told though there might be cancellations tomorrow that would made available online at 9am.

I'm just not sure where online I can try and book one of those cancellations.

To get a rapid renewal appointment you need book it at 12.30 (half past midday) on the day before the appointment, so if you're travelling on sat 1st, you'll need an appointment for Friday 30th. The rapid renewal appointments for Friday will open at 12:30 tomorrow. There's a limited number and they book out within minutes, so you need to be sitting at a computer at precisely 12:30 tomorrow to secure an appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

fxotoole wrote: »
    To get a rapid renewal appointment you need book it at 12.30 (half past midday) on the day before the appointment, so if you're travelling on sat 1st, you'll need an appointment for Friday 30th. The rapid renewal appointments for Friday will open at 12:30 tomorrow. There's a limited number and they book out within minutes, so you need to be sitting at a computer at precisely 12:30 tomorrow to secure an appointment.

Thanks for the info.
    I managed to get a cancellation at 9am today for an appointment at lunchtime.
    When I called in to the Passport office yesterday, the guy I was talking to said if I got an appointment I didn't need to bring my children.
    But my booking confirmation email said the children need to be present.

Anybody know if I can go without my children?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement